Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Two Boots Pizza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
There's a great $1 slice shop up on Summit, just South off JSQ. It's not gourmet at all, but I enjoy it, and they always have fresh pies coming out of the oven. When it's hot, it is very tasty, with a good crisp and chewy crust, and it's not overly salty or greasy at all.

As a bonus to me, the two Mexican guys who operate it are 80s metal fans, so I get to listen to Motorhead or ACDC while I wait.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
I went in a while back and left thinking why did I pay $3 and something for a slice of pizza when I could've gotten a tastier 99 cent slice from the city.

What an asinine assertion. Two Boots is hardly a great pie, but the 99 cent places in the city taste like cardboard.

Not if you go to a good place that's constantly churning out fresh pies. Sure, they're not gourmet but they can be pretty tasty.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
I went in a while back and left thinking why did I pay $3 and something for a slice of pizza when I could've gotten a tastier 99 cent slice from the city.

What an asinine assertion. Two Boots is hardly a great pie, but the 99 cent places in the city taste like cardboard.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

sepecat wrote:

I know it. That's what blows my mind more than anything.. all these pizza places, mostly of sub-standard quality near the PATH station charging considerably more than the $1/slice places in Manhattan.

Is Two Boots in JC anymore expensive than Two Boots in Manhattan? I don't eat two boots, just curious.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Two Bros all day

Posted on: 2016/2/18 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:

I know it. That's what blows my mind more than anything.. all these pizza places, mostly of sub-standard quality near the PATH station charging considerably more than the $1/slice places in Manhattan. The slices at those places are always hot and fresh because they are continuously making the pizzas and selling all the pieces pretty quickly so they never sit around very long. I can only guess the level of foot traffic in Jersey City wouldn't support such a business model.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/17 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
coryb nailed it.

personally i find the slices "OK" when fresh (for change of pace toppings), "not good" when old (crust gets tough, combined with cornmeal = abrasive) and always "overpriced". Also, service has been bizarre the times I've gone to give it another chance: counter seemed completely disinterested in my business in some cases, incapable of alerting me that to-go order (from kitchen) was ready in others.

price-point leads me to Rustique for slice most often these days, best value for $. Slice joint right at PATH finally killed it for me with $2.50 (?) slices. Good product, taste-wise but they are tiny for that cost. Best slice joints in manhattan are about the same (2.75 for Joe's, $3 for Suprema).

Aaaaaanyway...

Posted on: 2016/2/17 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Two Boots website lists as part of their growth "licensees/local partners in Jersey City, NJ; Nashville, Tenn.; Brooklyn, NY; and at Citi Field, with the Mets." bolding and italics added.

Personally, not a fan. Different socks for different cocks, I guess.

As in roosters.

Posted on: 2016/2/12 17:54

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters
I removed 19 posts from this topic - follow the rules:

JERSEY CITY LIST - Message Forum Rules:
1. This is a Moderated Message Forum.
2. Post items relevant to Jersey City, NJ
3. Before starting a New Topic check to see if your subject is already discussed by using the Search box of this site. We prefer that you Reply to similar existing topics instead of starting a New Topic.
4. Post in the appropriate category.
5. Be polite, on-topic, and constructive with the content of your post.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not going to rehash the old thread but I will reiterate you shouldn't trust what Two Boots tells you. The owner wants you to believe he was only one of over 20 local business owners who signed a petition and they were only enforcing an existing law.

What he doesn't tell you is that law was only enacted in 2011. Moreover, in other contexts, Aaron has no problem discussing the influence he had over City Hall well before that time.

"Aaron Morrill, meanwhile, a local business owner who joined with Levin and then-Councilman Fulop to force the city in 2008 to ban awarding contracts to political donors, said he fears the $1 million contribution may have come from someone who does business with Jersey City and is "expecting special treatment."

"The pay-to-play ordinance that Mayor Fulop and I worked to enact in 2008 was designed to avoid exactly the type of public corruption that the large contributions to Coalition for Progress could bring about," Morrill told The Jersey Journal."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ark_money_donation_t.html

So even though I don't like any of the business owners who signed that petition, I highly doubt any of them were as highly politically active as Two Boots was. Can't get over how you can't trust anything this guy says.

Just man up and say you played a vocal and active role in getting the food trucks banned because you wanted to eliminate competition. Instead of this nonsense about doing everyone a favor because now it's helping local businesses.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
By the way, what occurred was not democracy. If there was an actual referendum, the people likely would have voted for the food trucks to stay.

Quit whining and exercise your democratic rights. Shouldn't be too hard, given your claim

Posted on: 2016/2/9 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
I'm totally with coryb on this one. Ate there once (before the food truck assault) and I thought the pizza just plain sucked. The food trucks were a nice alternative to sitting down in a loud restaurant and paying whatever for a pie that tasted like cardboard with a little bit of cheese on it. If Aaron thinks that was his "competition" then he's in sad shape.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
Well, I don't know. I was sort of aware that Two Boots was being accused of horrible things.
I appreciate the owner's attempt to communicate. I guess the vitriol on this board is
just part and parcel of the current culture.

Btw, is Two Boots a franchise or one single business?

It looks, acts and smells like a franchise to me, given all the other Two Boots around the country, but Aaron insists it isn't.

He may have a lot of valid points but I don't buy the crap about his store being a "local business" and all the food trucks not being local businesses. Furthermore, it doesn't really matter - once employees of a business in Jersey City get paid and owners take their profits, who's to say they will spend it all in Jersey City anyway, and all of it at a local business in Jersey City? That is just a load of bull.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
this has been addressed before, and all of your points have been refuted, but since you want to be a donkey again, we'll just keep fighting back.

Quote:
1. Two Boots was joined by over twenty local restaurants in signing a petition to end the sale of prepared foods at the farmers' market. Two Boots was by no means alone.

And all of the ones I know about, I don't eat there either. There are plenty of good food options that don't actively seek to hinder others.

Quote:
2. The location of the prepared food vendors/food trucks was and is illegal under Jersey City law.

Which you and others have lobbied to be in place. One that is more restrictive than most cities in this nation on purpose because your business practice is so bad that you wish to shit on your patrons to try and extract a few extra bucks.

Quote:
3. It was not City Hall that ended the "food court" on the plaza, but the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District which runs the farmers' market.

The HDSID is a public/private organization. It works with the local government to decide what to do. Your statement is disingenuous at best.

Quote:
4. Over 66% of the prepared food vendors at the farmers' market were from outside of Jersey City. They did nothing for the local economy. They hired few, if any, locals and contributed to no local causes.

And your chain is owned by someone from out of state. They bought their license from the city, they are permitted to sell. If they didn't, that's on the government to enforce the license issue, like they would a liquor license.

Quote:
5. For those libertarians among you (or those simply concerned with fairness), you might also be interested to know that the food vendors at the farmers' market were receiving a massive government subsidy. That highly desirable location (the best in the city) was ONLY available to them because it was government property that the HDSID could rent to them for a pittance. While we pay high market rate rents, the HDSID was providing that space for next to nothing. Is that fair?

The math was done previously. If I remember right, the spot for a truck was $200. For 4 hours. That's $600/day or $219,000 a year. Seems kinda fair to me for a location about 70 square feet with no seating.

Quote:
6. Finally, any of you who think this is about greed needs an education. Several local restaurants have closed. Others are just getting by. It's a hard business. If you don't believe it, try it yourself.

Several below average places. The only decent one I can think of is 30 Acres (and they priced themselves out with an unsustainable business model. Are we mourning Box? Ox? It's Greek To Me? Fuck them. If you can't compete, get out and let the good places shine.

Quote:
7. Instead of talking about boycotts, you should support LOCAL businesses who serve great food, invest in the community and support the causes that matter to you. You shouldn't try to punish them because they insist on being treated fairly.

I support plenty of local places. I can name you dozens of places on my I've ordered from/ate at in the past year - Kraverie, New Thanh Hoai, Grand Sichuan, Taqueria, Rustique, Burger Eatery, New York Deli, The Big Straw, Koro Koro, Potatopia, Sawadee, Taqueria Vivo, Quisqueya, Me Casa... I don't support local places that work to make my local area worse. Your definition of "fair" holds about as much water as a paper bag.

In conclusion, get bent.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I don't know. I was sort of aware that Two Boots was being accused of horrible things.
I appreciate the owner's attempt to communicate. I guess the vitriol on this board is
just part and parcel of the current culture.

Btw, is Two Boots a franchise or one single business?

Posted on: 2016/2/9 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
This has all been explained before- the deliberately obtuse want to stay deliberately obtuse and cry about empanadas while they probably mindlessly throw their money at even more corrupt corporations. Aaron shouldn't even waste his time posting facts.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Aaron,

Very well said. I'm making it a point to eat more often in Two Boots right now.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Another shrewd business move by Two Boots, how they were able to find some clown to buy dog shit and napkins covered in feces is beyond me but credit to them. Part of me thinks you just Photoshopped my receipt since the tax is the same, but I don't think you do something dishonest like that.

LOL its a receipt maker if found online.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 18:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 16:02
Group:
Registered Users
Hi JCMan and Friends:

I stumbled across this thread and couldn't stop myself from reading. Against my better judgment and my wife's counsel, I'm going to jump in to correct the record and then disappear. I won't engage in a back and forth. I've done that before to no good effect. This response is aimed at those who are new to the debate and might actually believe some of the untruths being repeated here.

1. Two Boots was joined by over twenty local restaurants in signing a petition to end the sale of prepared foods at the farmers' market. Two Boots was by no means alone. (My fellow restaurateurs are simply smarter than I and stay away from these threads.)

2. The location of the prepared food vendors/food trucks was and is illegal under Jersey City law. That law was enacted by your democratically elected representatives.

3. It was not City Hall that ended the "food court" on the plaza, but the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District which runs the farmers' market. They correctly realized that they shouldn't be running a business (a food court) that competed directly with their own members. And on that point, those who make the assumption that the food court didn't affect sales of local businesses do not know what they're talking about. It did.

4. Over 66% of the prepared food vendors at the farmers' market were from outside of Jersey City. They did nothing for the local economy. They hired few, if any, locals and contributed to no local causes.

5. For those libertarians among you (or those simply concerned with fairness), you might also be interested to know that the food vendors at the farmers' market were receiving a massive government subsidy. That highly desirable location (the best in the city) was ONLY available to them because it was government property that the HDSID could rent to them for a pittance. While we pay high market rate rents, the HDSID was providing that space for next to nothing. Is that fair?

6. Finally, any of you who think this is about greed needs an education. Several local restaurants have closed. Others are just getting by. It's a hard business. If you don't believe it, try it yourself.

7. Instead of talking about boycotts, you should support LOCAL businesses who serve great food, invest in the community and support the causes that matter to you. You shouldn't try to punish them because they insist on being treated fairly.

If you really care about the food trucks, lobby the mayor and councilwoman to find a legal location for them where they aren't receiving a massive government subsidy that none of us brick and mortar restaurants get. It would be great. I'll be the first to dine there.

Lots of love,

Aaron

Posted on: 2016/2/9 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Another shrewd business move by Two Boots, how they were able to find some clown to buy dog shit and napkins covered in feces is beyond me but credit to them. Part of me thinks you just Photoshopped my receipt since the tax is the same, but I don't think you do something dishonest like that.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Ordered 15 pizzas from Two Boots in honor of all the complainers on here.

No, you didn't. Feel free to post the receipt (spoiler alert - you won't).

How does it feel to be wrong?

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/hipp ... t%201.22.08%20PM.png.html

Posted on: 2016/2/9 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

How does it feel to be wrong?

Posted on: 2016/2/9 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I have realized JCLIST Posters are a small percent of Jersey City.. and usually don't have much weight on the entire population of the city.

Did you just realize that? How long did it take you?

Posted on: 2016/2/9 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/9 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/9 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have realized JCLIST Posters are a small percent of Jersey City.. and usually don't have much weight on the entire population of the city.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Wow all this lost business from the butthurt food truck supporters must have been really effective if they're opening up a second location in JC. hahaha

Life isn't a movie. Sometimes the bad guys win. Doesn't make the owner any better.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Wow all this lost business from the butthurt food truck supporters must have been really effective if they're opening up a second location in JC. hahaha

I don't think anyone believed they would put them out of business, especially a pizza business which is generally recession proof. BUT- the owner Aaron definitely has gained a not-so-great reputation and although many people like myself have turned away their friends from going there, I have even heard from strangers telling others at a bar about his actions at City Hall.

I'm sure no business owner would be happy to lose business, even if they are still technically "in business" making profit. If Aaron's pizza chain was doing so well he wouldn't have teamed up with Drunk Jeff and gone to City Hall.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/9 16:28

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017