Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

Re: Thirty Acres Restaurant- Jersey Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Went recently for dinner....for the third time. Everything we have eaten there has been great. My only complaint would be that there could be a couple more entree choices or they could be switched out more often. Regardless, that still won't keep me from going back. Looking forward to trying brunch as well.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Who cares. Food is good. Nice to have new restaurant that is good in our neck of the woods.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
Quote:
I guess the reporter hasn't eaten in NJ too often. I agree the food is good, but it's hardly the most amazing place in NJ. And why can't they review anything in NJ without some crack about our quality of life?

i don't think that was the intention at all. point is: can you compare this style of food to anything else in Jersey? I am not going to claim to know the answer, but i do know i have not seen it anywhere else. and that's not a slight... think about it: he is coming from the Momofuku team, which was a new style IN NY CITY not long ago. Should it be surprising that it is new in Jersey now?

I disagree. And I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason they wrote the piece was his Momofuku connection. NYers have been falling all over that franchise for years.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I guess the reporter hasn't eaten in NJ too often. I agree the food is good, but it's hardly the most amazing place in NJ. And why can't they review anything in NJ without some crack about our quality of life?

i don't think that was the intention at all. point is: can you compare this style of food to anything else in Jersey? I am not going to claim to know the answer, but i do know i have not seen it anywhere else. and that's not a slight... think about it: he is coming from the Momofuku team, which was a new style IN NY CITY not long ago. Should it be surprising that it is new in Jersey now?

Posted on: 2012/6/26 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
Quote:

Here was a kind of cuisine I had never tasted in New Jersey.

It's definitely ONE of the most amazing places. I'm thrilled to have this in my backyard and hope more of these types of restaurants come to the area.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I went there and I was not that impressed with the food. The staff was very pleasant so I'll go back at some point, hoping that the food is awesome. The food seemed bland but maybe it was the gin playing games with my palate or something.

They're serving gin now? At a BYOB? I haven't had a single bland dish there. If anything, perhaps one too many flavors dancing about. But bland hasn't been an adjective that has ever come to mind. What dishes did you try?

Posted on: 2012/6/26 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Here was a kind of cuisine I had never tasted in New Jersey.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I went there and I was not that impressed with the food. The staff was very pleasant so I'll go back at some point, hoping that the food is awesome. The food seemed bland but maybe it was the gin playing games with my palate or something.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
We ate there Saturday night, after this review was on the Times on line but before it hit paper. Outstanding meal. A chicken live mousse app special and pork chop entree, and a second dessert. We left happy. Yes, the accoustics stink but every bite was a treat. Another vote for the greens with mustard seeds.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Innovations, Both Raw and Cooked
A Review of Thirty Acres, in Jersey City

The New York Times
By FRAN SCHUMER
Published: June 22, 2012

JUST when I thought I had experienced almost everything the restaurant scene had to offer, I walked into a renovated pizzeria in Jersey City and ordered a spicy barbecued squid salad. The pickled pearl onions, jalape?o peppers and fresh, bright cilantro seemed to pop in my mouth, to set off intensifying waves of flavor. Here was a kind of cuisine I had never tasted in New Jersey.

Thirty Acres is the source of the squid salad and other innovative dishes prepared by Kevin Pemoulie, who opened the restaurant with his wife, Alex, in April. During the previous 10 years, he had worked with the masters. From Akhtar Nawab at Craftbar, he learned to rely on seasonal and mostly local ingredients, he explained during a telephone interview after my visits. From David Chang at Momofuku Noodle Bar, where Mr. Pemoulie was chef de cuisine for almost five years, he learned to be daring. Instead of merely saut?ing his greens in olive oil, he mixes them with mustard seeds he pickles and tops them with sweet and crispy onions, a remarkable ingredient he gets in plastic bags from the Pakistani grocer around the block. The results are rousing. I could eat bowlfuls of these greens.

His other vegetable combinations are even more brazen. Broccoli, crisp and juicy from having been charred, raw, on the griddle top, arrives with hon shimeji mushrooms and ? surprisingly ? chicken livers pur?ed with cognac. They turned this simple dish into a deeply satisfying one. Now I want chicken livers with all my vegetables.

The atmosphere inside Thirty Acres is as lively as the rapidly gentrifying neighborhood around it, and the d?cor is as authentically Jersey City. The base of the bar, for example, is constructed of wooden beams from an old local brownstone. It?s an exciting room to be in, alive with the energy of an enterprise that is young but already knows it is going to be successful. Even the ever-changing menu at Thirty Acres is unconventional. Instead of the usual appetizer, salad and entree categories, it features ? in various sizes ? platters of cooked and raw ingredients, with a heavy emphasis on vegetables and fish.

Two of the raw fish dishes on the menu surpassed even the pleasures of sushi. The Arctic char features slices of lightly cured fish mixed with trout roe, jewel-like cubes of pickles and sesame seeds pulverized with bits of Balthazar rye bread, all served beside a pur?e of beets and goat cheese. Such a hodgepodge, yet the ingredients only intensify, rather than detract from, the fish, which is rich, slightly salty and luxurious.

The other great raw appetizer is the sea scallop marinated in lime vinaigrette and Cholula, a commercial hot sauce. Before you taste the tiny flecks of gold illuminating the scallop, you?re likely to mistake them for some kind of roe. They are bits of country ham, shipped from Tennessee, dried overnight in an oven and then grated over the scallop. They give the dish a haunting, slightly smoky flavor. And what a novelty ? a plate of raw fish that doesn?t contain soy sauce.

The only species of pasta served is cavatelli, and it is perfect: soft and buttery and, because of its density, more fun to eat than other kinds of pasta. I especially liked it with grilled asparagus and floppy, slippery oyster mushrooms. Another, heartier dish is Mr. Pemoulie?s beautiful roasted trout, its interior filled with lemon slices and whole fronds of lemon thyme. The fish is fine on its own, but it is irresistible paired with lardons of bacon; we dug for them among the glazed baby turnips and onions as if they were diamonds. The poussin, roasted so that the skin is crispy and the meat is juicy, offers other treasures: fingerling potatoes cooked in duck fat and hearty hen-of-the-woods mushrooms.

Mr. Pemoulie mixes ingredients and takes chances, but sometimes his playfulness backfires. A bowl of fingerling potatoes meant to evoke the experience of eating a chili dog at a baseball game misses the vital ingredient ? the excitement of the game. Without it, the dish is just chili. And although I love his perfectly cooked sweetbreads, which are crisp and creamy, the pur?e of white Spanish anchovies meant to dress them up overwhelms them. All I tasted was anchovy.

?There?s something a little dictatorial about offering just that one dessert,? my friend Alice said at the end of our visit. I disagree. The lemony zing of the lone dessert, ?Kevin?s mom?s lemon bars,? with their rich and buttery crust, is the perfect note on which to end a meal that includes so many explosively exciting dishes. The only more appropriate ending to a meal at Thirty Acres would be fireworks.

Thirty Acres
500 Jersey Avenue
Jersey City
(201) 435-3100
thirtyacres.tumblr.com

Posted on: 2012/6/23 2:58

Re: Thirty Acres
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
I ate here for the first time (shame on me) since its opening, last evening (Sat night). I'd say it's definitely a welcome addition to the neighborhood. I don't envision this being the kind of place you'd eat at more than once or twice per month, though that's certainly okay. The food was absolutely excellent - every bite was teeming with flavor. Contrary to what others have said, I had no issues with the portions brought to the table. The waitress clearly explained from the onset that the items on the menu are meant to be shared, and most tables order a few, where as the two "entrees" are just that.

My biggest issue with the restaurant is that they were blasting 80's music rather loud in conjunction with the acoustics of the restaurant. When the tables are packed and everyone is chatting away, it's hard to hear what your neighbor is saying when Poison's "Something To Believe In" is resonating through the speakers. The other issue is, given they don't accept reservations for parties under five, you have to be really flexible in terms of time allotted to dinner, if you want to eat there during peak times.

But I'd certainly go, again, but might attempt to go during the week, instead.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 13:20

Re: Thirty Acres
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Search for another thread on this forum, it has already been extensively covered.

I can tell you several things. First the name "Thirty Acres" has nothing to do with the cuisine, it's a reference to an arena that was put up for a boxing match early last century in Jersey City. Second, the chef worked for the Momofuku chain of restaurants in New York City. Third, while the individual items we had were pretty good, I found the menu very limiting and we were hard pressed to find things we wanted to eat when we ate there. Based on many things I had read on this forum, I was eagerly anticipating our dinner there. I feel no compelling reason to return. JMHO.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 11:20

Thirty Acres
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone been to this place? Opinion? I like the BYOB but it is closed on Sundays and has no outdoor space. Also, the name would seem to imply they serve a lot of meat but it seems seafood heavy. Thoughts

Posted on: 2012/6/17 5:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 2:34
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
We finally had a chance to eat here, and loved it. Super friendly staff. Wonderful food -- my husband and I shared a mussels appetizer (among the most tender mussels I've had) and the poussin entree with the asparagus side. The portions were perfect for a weeknight meal. We even had a small amount of leftovers. I found the mussel broth to be a tiny bit too salty (although my husband disagreed), but otherwise thought everything was perfect. I can't wait to go back!

Posted on: 2012/5/17 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Taylor is a brand, pork roll is the product.

There are other brands (not many these days), but Taylor is the biggest.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
so is it taylor ham made by someone else or taylor ham with different ingredients? there's a difference.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
hey cory - schmaylor ham is our take on taylor ham. we had the folks over at the meat hook in brooklyn (http://the-meathook.com/) make it and we think they did a pretty awesome job (considering they're in new york city).

yeah it's pretty f'in good. would be interested to do a head to head comparison against some of the taylor products (or other purveyors of the mighty roll), to get a better sense of meathook actually did.

Anyway, can see that becoming a staple of my weekend diet.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Coincy wrote:
Wondering if 30 Acres tried to source their charcuterie (ah, gentrification) thru Europa. If Europa didn't make the cut, I wonder why.

Only if Europa has a wholesale division selling to other retailers otherwise it makes no sense for them to pay the same price you pay.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Coincy, wouldn't it make sense to ask them directly????

Posted on: 2012/5/14 22:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/13 20:44
Group:
Banned
Wondering if 30 Acres tried to source their charcuterie (ah, gentrification) thru Europa. If Europa didn't make the cut, I wonder why.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 18:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
I think they did answer the question, sounds like they asked these guys in Brooklyn to reproduce it (probably using better quality ingredients) and since it's not technically "Taylor Ham" changed the name slightly.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

thirtyacres wrote:
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
shmaylor ham/egg sandy is a great brunch dish with potato side. check it out.

that reminds me, what is shmaylor ham?

hey cory - schmaylor ham is our take on taylor ham. we had the folks over at the meat hook in brooklyn (http://the-meathook.com/) make it and we think they did a pretty awesome job (considering they're in new york city).

I kind of guessed it had something to do with taylor ham by the name, so again... what is schmaylor ham? how's it different than regular taylor ham?

Ah, Taylor Ham. Trenton's gift to the world.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thirtyacres wrote:
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:

I kind of guessed it had something to do with taylor ham by the name, so again... what is schmaylor ham? how's it different than regular taylor ham?

Posted on: 2012/5/14 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Mother's Day dinner --- still some coordination issues in the kitchen as our third appetizer (four people sharing) came out with our main course.....but, man, it was worth the wait. The scallops are amazing...and the mussels ... wow.

Everything was delicious. The place was packed. I do wonder, however, if opening the doors for dinner at 6 pm -- and having the place fill up immediately -- puts too much pressure on the kitchen. Everyone is ordering at the same time -- almost like a first sitting on a cruise.

But again -- Happy Mother's Day to me -- the meal was fantastic.

Posted on: 2012/5/13 23:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:

that reminds me, what is shmaylor ham?[/quote]

Posted on: 2012/5/13 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:

Posted on: 2012/5/13 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/13 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
I personally think this part of Jersey Avenue is a great restaurant strip with the large wide sidewalks and new expanded restaurant row. Subia's is right there, now just get rid of the shady pharmacy and clinic and it's a great downtown spot. You've got a boutique wine shop, wonder bagels, nice hair salon, token bodega, laundromat, Big Chef, Sushi Tango and a few small random shops. I actually prefer this part of Jersey Ave over Grove Street.. call me crazy.

I too love this little stretch (Beekmans Lane is a must-see), which makes the autobahnification of Colimbus that much more frustrating.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This place just shows that there is high demand for good quality food no matter how big the portions are at decent not exactly cheap prices. Face it the demographic that wants "new american" food now populates DTJC.

I personally think this part of Jersey Avenue is a great restaurant strip with the large wide sidewalks and new expanded restaurant row. Subia's is right there, now just get rid of the shady pharmacy and clinic and it's a great downtown spot. You've got a boutique wine shop, wonder bagels, nice hair salon, token bodega, laundromat, Big Chef, Sushi Tango and a few small random shops. I actually prefer this part of Jersey Ave over Grove Street.. call me crazy.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 5:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
favorites were the cavatelli (veggie version w mushrooms) and the raw scallop

they were out of the oysters and potato so we have to make a trip back soon!

great little place - definitely not overstuffed with tables which is a relief from nyc dining but the wait was a bit rough bc table turn over was a bit longer than expected I would go back on a weekday or with reservations for sure

my boyfriend who hate broccoli rabe and most greens loved them here!

Posted on: 2012/5/12 4:07

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017