Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Re: BIKE LANES in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Grand Street would be a GREAT place for Jersey City's first protected bike lane. Bike JC is campaigning for exactly that (#GrandStreetVision), though ultimately it's only one place PBLs are needed.

The city has been exploring grants for a better bike lane network, and has asked us (Bike JC) for ideas, which we appreciate, but however it's done and funded it needs to happen. We all need to make that clear to everyone in charge, especially anyone who still opposes it.

Hoboken has a protected bikeway on Observer Highway and sounds like they are willing to build more; Newark has one on Mount Prospect Ave. and has firm plans for several more as part of a comprehensive bike network in the Ironbound neighborhood. This is what modern cities do, and we need to do it too, period.

Expect to hear more about this very soon.

You haven't heard about a lot of Citi Bike riders getting killed or injured for the simple reason that bike shares, in every single place they operates, have a great safety record. The short-term rental structure and the bikes (especially the heavy, stable, upright bikes that Citi Bike uses) promote slow, workaday journeys, to work, to the market, to school ... That's why, e.g., despite tens of millons of trips, it was only recently that the U.S. saw its first fatality on a bike share bike (in Chicago).

Posted on: 2016/7/21 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Have even been renderings of protected bike lanes released anywhere?

I really, really don't see why Montgomery and Grand need to remain 4 lane freeways through most of downtown. Those two roads would be a perfect pilot for those. Even ripping up half of them for new light rail expansions would be a better use.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
so how is jersey city doing with implementing bike lanes?

there are some nice green textured ones on a few blocks of lower Montgomery and part of Columbus.

there are some more stripped/painted ones, throughout the city. But, none (or few) are connected. there are none that go more than a few blocks east/west and none from uptown to downtown (up/down the hill.)

now with Citi Bike expansion, there should be a need for a connected bike lane system. and perhaps a trial protected bike lane.

The CitiBike cart is so far in front of the bike lane horse that it is beyond the horizon. Biking infrastructure remains woefully inadequate and largely exists in the imaginings of press releases and in vague architectural renderings of the magical Jersey City future that is perpetually just out of grasp.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Not very good. I'm surprised there hasn't been more news of citi bikers getting hit.

How can they when half of them ride them on the sidewalk like giant toddlers?

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
The lanes on Grove are still doing great as they are consistently at least 50 - 60% blocked by vehicles that are double parked.

Quote:

DanL wrote:

there are some nice green textured ones on a few blocks of lower Montgomery and part of Columbus.

there are some more stripped/painted ones, throughout the city. But, none (or few) are connected. there are none that go more than a few blocks east/west and none from uptown to downtown (up/down the hill.)

now with Citi Bike expansion, there should be a need for a connected bike lane system. and perhaps a trial protected bike lane.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Not very good. I'm surprised there hasn't been more news of citi bikers getting hit.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/21 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
are there any plans for bike lanes on Jersey Ave, north of CC BLVD?

Posted on: 2014/8/6 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Below is the section of Jersey City's code dealing with riding in bike lanes.

Note that where there is a bike lane, you are generally required to use it. Yes, you can get a ticket if you don't.

As I mentioned, note that you may leave the bike lane -- after checking traffic and giving the proper hand signal -- when the lane is blocked by anything, including slower bike traffic, or when there's a dangerous condition in the bike lane, such as a pothole big enough to have its own Twitter account.

You may (and should) also leave the bike lane when setting up to turn toward the opposite side of the street.

In other words, if you are riding on a one-way street in one of our many left-side bike lanes, and you're planning to make a right turn onto a cross street, you should check behind you, signal right and blend into the car lane to your right. Then you should signal again and turn right at the intersection.

It's just as you would do if you were driving in the left lane of a two-lane one-way street. First blend over to the lane nearest your turn, then turn.

And actually, drivers are supposed to do the converse: They are supposed to blend INTO THE BIKE LANE first when they are about to turn across it. Many bikers and drivers don't know this.

Why all the intrusions into each other's lanes? Because that makes our intentions clearer to each other earlier, instead of people cutting across lanes at the last minute and getting T-boned by people going straight.

Finally, note that the ordinance also implies another exception: You may leave the bike lane when you are able to keep up with the normal speed of car traffic, because then you aren't impeding it. That may not be common for some of us, but it is useful for many of us once in a while; for example, when you're going fast down a steep hill and want to put some extra space between you and parked cars. Just remember that now you're in the realm of drivers and have to blend in with them like another car.

Here's the JC code on bike lanes:

F.
Use of bicycle lanes. Whenever a bicycle lane has been established on a roadway, any person operating a bicycle upon the roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction shall ride within the bicycle lane, except that such person may move out of the lane under any of the following situations:
(1)
Whenever overtaking or passing another bicycle, vehicle or pedestrian within the lane or about to enter the lane if such overtaking and passing cannot be done safely within the lane.
(2)
When preparing for a turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(3)
When reasonably necessary to leave the bicycle lane to avoid debris or other hazardous conditions.
G.
No person operating a bicycle shall leave a bicycle lane until the movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after giving an appropriate signal.
H.
In addition to bicyclists, the following are permitted to use bicycle lanes;
(1)
Individuals using roller blades, scooters, and skateboards; and
(2)
Individuals using motorized wheelchairs with an orange safety flag at least five feet above the street level; and
(3)
Bicyclists with attached trailers for children with an orange safety flag attached to the rear of the portage vehicle at least five feet above the street level.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
When I see a car in the bike lane up ahead, I don't wait to swerve into traffic at the last second. I'm looking over my shoulder well before I come upon the car and making sure the driver behind me understands my intention to merge into his lane. I've never had anyone honk at me for doing that, and at rush hour, I'm usually moving faster than the cars on Grove.

Correct, and perfectly legal. When a bike lane is obstructed by anything, you may leave it and go around the obstruction, then return to the bike lane once past it. Don't forget to signal, just like a car changing lanes.

And, yet, if a policeman is having a bad day, he may stop you and ticket you for failing to use the bike lane. Check out the Casey Neistat parody video after he was stopped (and, ticketed!) by an NYPD officer for leaving a bike lane that was obstructed (wait for it...) by the officer's patrol car.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FYI more green surface is being installed right now on Columbus. It's kind of a cool process to watch if you're passing by.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
When I see a car in the bike lane up ahead, I don't wait to swerve into traffic at the last second. I'm looking over my shoulder well before I come upon the car and making sure the driver behind me understands my intention to merge into his lane. I've never had anyone honk at me for doing that, and at rush hour, I'm usually moving faster than the cars on Grove.

Correct, and perfectly legal. When a bike lane is obstructed by anything, you may leave it and go around the obstruction, then return to the bike lane once past it. Don't forget to signal, just like a car changing lanes.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Who has the right of way when there is a car parked in a bike lane, the cyclist or vehicles? I have a problem mostly on Grove St. where the original lanes are during rush hour. There's always parked cars in the bike lane and I go around when an opening arises. Once in a while a driver seems to vehemently object to this and honks or worse.

Rare is the day that I can bike down Grove St. without encountering cars treating the bike lane as a double-parking lane. The customers of El Sason, Ibby's, Shadman and the other halal eatery (used to be called Medina) are the worst offenders. Not sure if there are clear rules defining right-of-way in a situation like this. When I see a car in the bike lane up ahead, I don't wait to swerve into traffic at the last second. I'm looking over my shoulder well before I come upon the car and making sure the driver behind me understands my intention to merge into his lane. I've never had anyone honk at me for doing that, and at rush hour, I'm usually moving faster than the cars on Grove.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Who has the right of way when there is a car parked in a bike lane, the cyclist or vehicles? I have a problem mostly on Grove St. where the original lanes are during rush hour. There's always parked cars in the bike lane and I go around when an opening arises. Once in a while a driver seems to vehemently object to this and honks or worse.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meltedopsicle wrote:
I've been out in some of the new lanes - they are in the door zone and I'd rather ride farther out. The average car driver won't realize that though and would probably think I should be in the bike lane.

This is definitely an issue with lanes on narrow streets, and a reason why a small percentage of cyclists actively oppose them.

I find I can stay pretty well clear of doors, or clear enough to avoid one that opens, by riding the far edge of the bike lane when going fast, at speeds close to the car traffic.

Then when I am allowing faster traffic to pass me, I give them a little more room by inching left, but I slow down to give myself more time to spot door-ers.

The whole dance is similar to the control-and-release vehicular-cycling method that I use when there is no bike lane.

I also ride further left when passing slow or stopped car traffic (something that is easier with a bike lane).

Posted on: 2014/7/20 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
There are a lot more bike lanes popping up than were originally indicated by the city on the map posted above. Will there be an updated map at any point showing all of the lanes?

Various people are trying to keep up, but it's moving fast, plus technically the lanes aren't really finished until they get bike and arrow markings, etc.

I'm sure the city, Bike JC and others will all have comprehensive maps available once this whole half-million-dollar contract is finished later in the year.

Actually, right now on Google Maps, if you turn on Bicycle mode, you will see that the editing elves (including our friend Michael Flinck) have been at work, putting in solid green lines for some of the new lanes.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 18:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/11/22 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
I've been out in some of the new lanes - they are in the door zone and I'd rather ride farther out. The average car driver won't realize that though and would probably think I should be in the bike lane.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
There are a lot more bike lanes popping up than were originally indicated by the city on the map posted above. Will there be an updated map at any point showing all of the lanes?

Posted on: 2014/7/18 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
What are all the bikes doing in my new running lanes?
Or as the drivers are asking; "What are all these bikes doing in my new double parking lane?"

Posted on: 2014/7/18 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
What are all the bikes doing in my new running lanes?

Posted on: 2014/7/18 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Why make it textured?

Why not just do it like every other bike lane in NYC, just paint it green and use that money to paint other areas?

I have found the painted bikes lanes to be extremely slick when wet. It may have more to do with my skinny road bike tires and barely any tread. Perhaps the texture is to help keep traction in the rain.

Yep, stuff is designed for better traction, drainage and wear than plain paint or smooth polymer. If it lasts longer it should end up being economical. It's only being used in very limited areas, so we'll find out cheaply enough.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Why make it textured?

Why not just do it like every other bike lane in NYC, just paint it green and use that money to paint other areas?

I have found the painted bikes lanes to be extremely slick when wet. It may have more to do with my skinny road bike tires and barely any tread. Perhaps the texture is to help keep traction in the rain.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Why make it textured?

Posted on: 2014/7/18 11:14

Re: should Jersey City create and implement on-street bicycle lanes?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Aaaaaand somebody's already going the wrong way on it.

excellent.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted on: 2014/7/18 11:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Aaaaaand somebody's already going the wrong way on it.

excellent.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 7:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The green surface is being reserved for the biggest, busiest streets with bike lanes, so for now it will only show up in very limited areas.

BTW, this stuff is all covered under the same bike lane contract that has produced all the white striped lanes.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 3:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/18 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is getting its first GREEN, textured bike lane right now, on C. Columbus Drive west of Grove Street!

Photo and details here!

Posted on: 2014/7/17 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Hearing reports of new bike lanes just striped in the Heights: Webster and Hancock Aves. north?south, Bowers & Griffith Sts. east?west.

Anybody ride them yet?

I have, and they are great! The one on Hancock make's getting up to the PO on Central Avenue from my place on Sherman Avenue and Franklin, while a bit longer, much more pleasant, and the stretch on Webster is a real pleasure to have coming back from DTJC.

Haven't been on the E-W lanes yet, since I don't have any business on the West Side but hope to incorporate them on a weekend ride.

Thank you for the first-hand report! I am hoping to go check out some of the lanes and areas outside my usual places.

Hurry, though! I follow 'JC Heights United' on Facebook, and apparently there is a lot of upset about the new bike lanes. Apparently some people don't want bike lanes near their parked cars... Follow JC Heights United on FB, to hear more

Ugh! This just shows the short-sightedness and small-mindedness of so many old-timers in JC. Bike lanes bring SO MANY benefits to neighborhoods and the city at large. Calmer traffic, more street presence of neighbors, less reliance in cars (think reduced asthma incidence, less pollution, etc) and improved overall health of citizens. This also reminds me of the Hasidim opposition to bike lanes in Williamsburg. Under the guise of religion, they opposed bike lanes because women were riding in "immodest" clothing through "their" neighborhoods. Some of them took to the streets at night and (illegally) removed bike lanes. The city ended up kowtowing to them by removing some lanes and rerouting others. Let's hope the government of JC can stick to its guns and keep the lanes in place.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Hearing reports of new bike lanes just striped in the Heights: Webster and Hancock Aves. north?south, Bowers & Griffith Sts. east?west.

Anybody ride them yet?

I have, and they are great! The one on Hancock make's getting up to the PO on Central Avenue from my place on Sherman Avenue and Franklin, while a bit longer, much more pleasant, and the stretch on Webster is a real pleasure to have coming back from DTJC.

Haven't been on the E-W lanes yet, since I don't have any business on the West Side but hope to incorporate them on a weekend ride.

Thank you for the first-hand report! I am hoping to go check out some of the lanes and areas outside my usual places.

Hurry, though! I follow 'JC Heights United' on Facebook, and apparently there is a lot of upset about the new bike lanes. Apparently some people don't want bike lanes near their parked cars... Follow JC Heights United on FB, to hear more

Posted on: 2014/7/15 2:52

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017