Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: should Jersey City create and implement on-street bicycle lanes?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Hearing reports of new bike lanes just striped in the Heights: Webster and Hancock Aves. north?south, Bowers & Griffith Sts. east?west.

Anybody ride them yet?

I have, and they are great! The one on Hancock make's getting up to the PO on Central Avenue from my place on Sherman Avenue and Franklin, while a bit longer, much more pleasant, and the stretch on Webster is a real pleasure to have coming back from DTJC.

Haven't been on the E-W lanes yet, since I don't have any business on the West Side but hope to incorporate them on a weekend ride.

I must correct myself, Bowers doesn't actually have a lane, still just the old sharrows on the west end of it.

Griffith, however, is painted from end to end, from JFK to Palisade.

Here are three more confirmed painted lanes that I just rode myself yesterday:

Fairmont Avenue, one-way eastbound, West Side Avenue to Bergen, and Monticello to Storms.

Romaine Avenue, one-way northbound, Stuyvesant to Broadway.

Garrison Avenue, one-way southbound, Sip to DeKalb.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Hearing reports of new bike lanes just striped in the Heights: Webster and Hancock Aves. north?south, Bowers & Griffith Sts. east?west.

Anybody ride them yet?

I have, and they are great! The one on Hancock make's getting up to the PO on Central Avenue from my place on Sherman Avenue and Franklin, while a bit longer, much more pleasant, and the stretch on Webster is a real pleasure to have coming back from DTJC.

Haven't been on the E-W lanes yet, since I don't have any business on the West Side but hope to incorporate them on a weekend ride.

Thank you for the first-hand report! I am hoping to go check out some of the lanes and areas outside my usual places.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

Anybody ride them yet?

Posted on: 2014/7/14 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
where the street is narrow, the city could have shared sidewalk/bike lanes

Posted on: 2014/7/13 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Unless this new law is codified as a primary law and offense, and officers are instructed to enforce it aggressively, I do not expect ANY improvements. While riding eastbound on Grand St, I have had cars pull up within a foot and honk their horns at me, as well as passed with mere inches to spare. The drivers are very, very aggressive here. I would love to see one of those asswipes pulled over by a cop. Fat chance of that happening, though.

But (and, as a segue into the sidewalk thread) I continue riding on the streets, because that's where I (legally) belong and in the (possibly naive) belief that drivers will only learn to share the road and look out for cyclists if they are forced to do so.

I think we're gonna have this argument forever. I've had the same thing happen to me on Grand as well as the 2 blocks on Pacific before Grand. I ride the sidewalk on those 2 blocks on Pacific as well as on Grand up to Monmouth where I turn. There's a reason the bike lane ends on Pacific 2 blocks before it meets Grand. That's because there simply isn't room with the present layout for drivers and bikes (during rush hour). I have no desire to sacrifice my life for "the cause." If there are people on the walk and it is unsafe (for pedestrians), I walk my bike. If there's no one or hardly anyone on the walk, which is usually the case, I ride very slowly. Common sense has to come into play. This is the only area I find it necessary to get off the street for fear of of maniacal drivers.

As for bikers going the wrong way with or without bike lanes, I find it amazing and don't understand it. I've come across this on Grove several times where the original bike lanes are.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/13 11:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
did NO one take a bicycle safety course in grade school?
why is this so hard for cyclists to understand?

All those falls without helmets I'd guess, since they didn't learn to use one in grade school.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
Yes the other day I nearly collided with a couple. I have seen the same scenario unfold in Hoboken. In all cases there was no direction attached to the bike lane. At this point, except if we are looking for our own chilltown bike design, it would be wise to put some signs on these lane.... I also wonder if we truly have bike lanes on Columbus Highway downtown.

did NO one take a bicycle safety course in grade school?

a bike is a vehicle. its riders are expected to obey traffic laws. if you're riding on a one-way street, you ride with the flow of traffic, period. salmoning on a bike - in a line or out of it - is as illegal as driving the wrong way in a car, yet it's never ticketed.

why is this so hard for cyclists to understand?

Posted on: 2014/7/11 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So is it true that if there is a bike lane present, you must use it? And you can be ticketed for not riding in the bike lane where one is present?

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Anybody ride them yet?

Posted on: 2014/7/11 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The bike lanes will get bike symbols and directional arrows. There's a huge machine that paints the lines; apparently the contractors are rolling that till they're done with it, then they'll come back with the gear to fill them in.

This has its upsides too: lots of people are getting used to the lanes now, learning different routes, etc., which would have had to wait longer had they finished one, then started another, and so on.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes the other day I nearly collided with a couple. I have seen the same scenario unfold in Hoboken. In all cases there was no direction attached to the bike lane. At this point, except if we are looking for our own chilltown bike design, it would be wise to put some signs on these lane.... I also wonder if we truly have bike lanes on Columbus Highway downtown.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Are we sure they are bike lanes? There is nothing stencilled in them - just sets of parallel white lines scattered throughout the city (primarily downtown.) I hope this job gets finished properly and isn't something else that is a half-assed attempt at something promising that loses steam and those responsible move on to the next thing.

I agree with JackP - I'm excited to see any progress but it's going to be a while before a safe cycling culture develops here, if ever.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 22:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
I am seeing a lot of cyclists (and skateboarders, scooter riders) using the bike lanes in the opposite direction of traffic on one-way streets. This seems like a recipe for confusion and disaster. Most are helmetless as well. Erie comes to mind in particular.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Having lived in Portland for 20 years, and JC for 4 years i can tell you that the attitudes are polar opposite. Drivers in Portland are generally careful and considerate which is why my car insurance was less than half of JC rates.

Horn honking in Portland is rare, generally only when a real danger exists. Double parking is unheard of, and driving in bike lanes is just not done. Drivers stop at crosswalks whenever someone is at the curb. I wouldnt take too much from Portland to JC until we have a few years of consistent no-compromise enforcement of driving and parking laws.

As a bike rider, I fear the bike lanes as I believe they will give a false sense of safety to riders. At least in my area they seem to be an invitation for double parkers.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I did see two JC bicycle cops today near Morris Canal patrolling!

Posted on: 2014/7/7 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
http://grist.org/cities/four-reasons- ... d-became-a-bikers-utopia/

Great short article on biking and Portland, a city (among quite a few others) that really gets it when it comes to cycling. Is Portland considered a mid-sized city??? If so, Jersey City has a loooooooooong way to go to top the charts...

Posted on: 2014/7/7 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Unless this new law is codified as a primary law and offense, and officers are instructed to enforce it aggressively, I do not expect ANY improvements. While riding eastbound on Grand St, I have had cars pull up within a foot and honk their horns at me, as well as passed with mere inches to spare. The drivers are very, very aggressive here. I would love to see one of those asswipes pulled over by a cop. Fat chance of that happening, though.

But (and, as a segue into the sidewalk thread) I continue riding on the streets, because that's where I (legally) belong and in the (possibly naive) belief that drivers will only learn to share the road and look out for cyclists if they are forced to do so.

If one of those cars caused you to fall or crash and they took off would you report them if you got their license plate number ? Next time they pull that move take the plate number and file a compaint with the violations bureau.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 11:14
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/15 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/15 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
left-side bike lane markers have been painted on several streets Downtown. So I guess we are getting the left-side lanes. Oddly, they seem a bit wider than the previous ones, though I haven't measured them.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good to see I am not the only one puzzled by the lanes to nowhere in the Heights. What could possibly justify painting those lanes?? Either do it right, or don't do it. It is confusing to both cyclist and drivers to have lanes start and end haphazardly.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
...or part of the plan to get JClisters in the heights to cycle off a cliff.

The worst part: there are one-way streets in the Heights wide enough to accommodate parking, driving and a bike lane. Webster, running from south to north, is a perfect candidate.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Here is the map of bike lanes...

Resized Image

Grove Street bike lanes were once dubbed "The Bike Lanes to Nowhere." Now, the torch has been passed to the Heights. Those lanes are absolutely positively worthless.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

worm wrote:
I have dogs and kids and whenever I'm on a shared path with cyclists I make an effort to keep them on the inside of the path, i.e, between me and the curb. That way, they are less likely to get in the way of a passing cyclist. I hate when people walk their dogs with long leashes or allow them to meander across a bike path. It puts both the dog/kid at risk as well as the cyclist.
As a cyclist, whistling or yelling that you are coming up from behind confuses most pedestrians, they either become startled and dart around like mice or they just stand there wondering where the sound came from...

I say 'I'm on your left' when overtaking from behind. Does that work for you?

Exactly! I yell "bike" when I can't see ahead (but want to alert any people in the vicinity to my presence) but when I am coming upon people, or other cyclists, I yell "on your left" or "on your right", as appropriate. Of course, it never fails that some people confuse their lefts and rights, so if I see them looking or moving to the wrong side, I just yell "on your other left" (or, right). They get a chuckle and I prevent a collision. Win-win!

Posted on: 2014/5/8 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

worm wrote:
I have dogs and kids and whenever I'm on a shared path with cyclists I make an effort to keep them on the inside of the path, i.e, between me and the curb. That way, they are less likely to get in the way of a passing cyclist. I hate when people walk their dogs with long leashes or allow them to meander across a bike path. It puts both the dog/kid at risk as well as the cyclist.
As a cyclist, whistling or yelling that you are coming up from behind confuses most pedestrians, they either become startled and dart around like mice or they just stand there wondering where the sound came from...

I say 'I'm on your left' when overtaking from behind. Does that work for you?

Posted on: 2014/5/8 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/8 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Your statement "Whatever happened to bike riders using a simple bell to warn pedestrians...generation ipad perhaps?" seems to place the blame on a demographic (cyclists) of a younger generation, which is myopic and incorrect.

I'm actually placing the blame on idiot cyclists, not young ones. They may have given up on bells and whistles because most pedestrians wear headphones. I walk my dog frequently on shared pathways, and virtually no cyclists give any warning of approaching from behind. Lucky my dog is pretty well trained, but I wouldn't be surprised if many dogs get spooked into running in front of bikes, or taking off a cyclist's leg.

No need for myopic insults.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the map of bike lanes...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/8 17:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/29 19:11
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Any positive change like that one, is better then nothing.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 16:49

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017