Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Am I wrong about Managing Agent's role in condo?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sassinak wrote:
really... perhaps just pm this poster, instead of putting your ad up twice!!! if they havent contacted you, then they dont want to.

LOL. Actually, thanks everyone for the suggestions. We have formed a committee to look into this, and will be "interviewing" potential managing companies soon. Keep additional referrals coming, though. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/10/17 20:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/10 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
really... perhaps just pm this poster, instead of putting your ad up twice!!! if they havent contacted you, then they dont want to.

Posted on: 2011/10/13 17:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/22 13:57
Group:
Registered Users
@Scrappe7:

When it comes to bids from contractors, we offer the best in class vendors and fight on behalf of the association for the best price.

It is standard practice to obtain 3bids for major work that needs to be done. These bids are submitted to the board with a summary of what each offers and our recommendation based on expertise in property management and then the board decides on which vendor they would like to go with.

There are a lot of vendors to choose from but when an association finds a competent vendor who provides a competitive price, excellent work and quality customer service it is wise to hold on to him!

I would also like to offer you StarTower's services and ask that you contact us at 201-706-3043 so that we can prepare a proposal for you. We can help your association transition from being self-run to being managed by a proactive management company.

Posted on: 2011/10/13 4:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/22 13:57
Group:
Registered Users
Please contact StarTower Management at 201-706-3043. We can assist you effectively with all of the issues you mentioned.

The management document is usually a generic document which does not specifically address how each and every issue should be handled, therefore it is vital that the board empowers the management company when it comes to building issues. This may be done by board approved "House Rules" which can stipulate how rental units should be handled, the amount charged for Move In/Move Out fees and owner responsibility, tenant compliance etc. It will also state what fines may be incurred if such rules are not followed.

If a building has a super, he/she is employed by the condo association and should follow the direction of the board. The board may appoint the management company to supervise the activities of the super and ensure that he/she is conducting himself in accordance with and for the benefit of the association.

I would love to discuss this further with you and offer our services.

Posted on: 2011/10/13 4:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 7:50
Group:
Banned
All these things need to be negotiated upfront and put in a contract. The more you want, the more you pay. There is no such thing as a universal list of management company duties. Every building is different with differing needs and wants. I've been on boards and it's a live and learn situation. I learned the hard way. At this point, I would check your contract and also come to an understanding with your management company what they will and won't do. When it comes time to renew your contract, you can be more specific about what you want if it isn't spelled out now. Or you can go elsewhere or self-manage.

There really is a dearth of decent management companies in Hudson County. Regardless, I'm a strong believer in active boards and self-management under the right circumstances. Unfortunately, such things are generally met with apathy from other owners, at least that's been my experience.

I know you didn't ask, but if you or anyone decides to go the self-management route, I strongly recommend hiring a (bonded) company to handle the bookkeeping. It leaves less room for misappropriation by an owner assuming a reputable company is hired plus it's a pain in the neck.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 21:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/9 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
Wish I had more color but we are a self-run mgmt company so we handle it all ourselves. Would you mind posting what you guys are paying for the mgmt company? We're considering moving to an outsourced company but not sure if there is room in the budget for it. Wouldn't make much sense if we still had to do all of the work as well.

My biggest concern is the bid process for repairs. Just worried they'y quote the same 3 contractors each time and you'd always end up overpaying. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 18:22

Am I wrong about Managing Agent's role in condo?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
I am on the board of our 50 unit condominium building in the Heights. Some of us are very unhappy with the managing agent's/company's performance, other board members less so, so there is no consensus on whether to find a new managing agent.

Before I press the issue, I want to be sure I'm not expecting more from the managing agent then is realistic. Ours gets bids for repair work, and deals (effectively) with the JCFD and other regulators. However, I would have expected they also manage the super, respond to noise complaints, deal with owner's renting out their units (i.e., make sure tenants are informed of rules, move-in procedures, etc.).

What are your experiences? What should we really be expecting? Thanks.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 16:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017