Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Jersey City protesters arrested in "Occupy Wall Street Demonstration"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/10/16 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Owlie,

Missing one or two payments is very very far from having to declare bankruptcy. Also, being 3 weeks late on any payment would have no affect on their credit rating. Moreover, in the past when citizens wanted to rebel they would be willing to sacrifice their lives, a much greater risk than a few point drops on one's credit rating. Often civil discourse is the only way to regain control.

Quote:

owlie wrote:
Sutherland,
Don't encourage people to stop paying their bills unless you can walk them through the bankruptcy filing process first.
Why should people ruin what's left of their credit rating?

Posted on: 2011/10/16 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/1 ... nding-occupy-wall-street/

If this doesn't make it clear enough then you are hopelessly lost.

wow did foxnews get hacked? that article makes like... 95% sense.

Posted on: 2011/10/16 6:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Sutherland,
Don't encourage people to stop paying their bills unless you can walk them through the bankruptcy filing process first.
Why should people ruin what's left of their credit rating?

Posted on: 2011/10/16 5:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The late payment penalties would readily be waived as they often are for first time late payments. But even if they were not waived, they would not make up for the loss of revenue stream and paralysis on velocity the boycott would cause.

More importantly it would reposition the citizens as the backbone of our democracy. Right now banks and corporations are pulling the strings and citizens are sitting by accepting the spiraling recession of our dignities.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
While I support the protestors' initiative, to really get Wall St's attention the best scheme would be if all or a good number of US citizens went on a debt boycott by coming together and for one month withholding payments on all consumer debt including mortgages, credit cards, auto and student loans.

I suspect even if everyone withheld payment for 3.5 weeks the message would be clear. This would be stronger than any petition, march or rally.

The late payment interest penalties would be a windfall for the banks.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
While I support the protestors' initiative, to really get Wall St's attention the best scheme would be if all or a good number of US citizens went on a debt boycott by coming together and for one month withholding payments on all consumer debt including mortgages, credit cards, auto and student loans.

I suspect even if everyone withheld payment for 3.5 weeks the message would be clear. This would be stronger than any petition, march or rally.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/1 ... nding-occupy-wall-street/

If this doesn't make it clear enough then you are hopelessly lost.

Posted on: 2011/10/15 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/10/13 6:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/13 0:23
Group:
Registered Users
Occupy is movement in modern times - no longer do you need a million man march to DC - all you need is a live twitter feed showing the mass numbers who want change!

But if DC they want to see - send me a Save the Date!

Posted on: 2011/10/13 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Not gonna debate this endlessly.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
It's good you appreciated the point that the US's poor are very, very well off compared to the world's poor.

That doesn't take a lot of thought.

Quote:
The US corporations at the focus of the occupy wall st's focus are part of the reason that wealth came to the US in the first place.

That's ridiculous. As ridiculous as those on the far left who think that America itself is the root of all evil and those who hate America are on the side of the angels. It was inevitable, duh, that with wealth there would come barons and then corporations. The problem, as I see it, are people who see things in black and white, good and evil.

I'm guessing you're a Jeffersonian. But Jefferson's biggest argument with Hamilton was over the Bank of the United States. But America needed the Bank of the United States to lend money to corporations to accumulate wealth. (Wealth=power=guns.) But Jefferson felt that the Bank of the United States would lead to too much... dare I say... power in the hands of a few... Oh my God! Jefferson would have been hanging out in Zuccotti Park!

Quote:
The US became the world's wealthiest nation by staying out of global wars such as WW1 and WW2

Huh? The Third World was divvied up for plunder at the end of WWI. (Well, had been all along but they made it more orderly after that war. League of Nations and all.)

America became a global powerhouse because of WWII.

Quote:
The tables are now turned. China and India are now selling cheaper than within the US.

Yeah. From being blown to pieces by nitroglycerin to dominating us is quite an achievement.

Quote:
The world is a smaller place. Globalization is a reality that neither US unions nor US immigration policies can keep at bay. That's a seismic shock to the US , particularly to areas that haven't historically competed globally, such as public sector, manufacturing, etc.

I agree, accept that I think the world is now a BIGGER place and the American people are in the process of becoming smaller and poorer.

Quote:
I'm not an apologist for the US 1%,

You are.

Quote:
but I'd ask folks in the US to have a more global view. Who is really the 99% globally, and where do you fit in?

That I agree with.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Point might be that to the rest of the world, the US's 99% is the world's 1%. Do they want to level the world's playing field, and drag the US back to the level of the world's 99%-ers? Slogans like "forgive global debt" point that way...

Do liberals want that? I don't think they're thinking on that level. But I've pondered that very thing quite a bit. Conservatives (and this includes most Democrats in Washington DC > especially Barack Obama) are the real global liberals here. They've dismantled our economy and made China, India and Brazil the new global power houses.

It's ironic and kind of funny that the Americans who fear China the most have done the most to empower them. China now laughs at us when we threaten them.

Didn't expect that answer, did ya.

It's good you appreciated the point that the US's poor are very, very well off compared to the world's poor. The US corporations at the focus of the occupy wall st's focus are part of the reason that wealth came to the US in the first place. The US became the world's wealthiest nation by staying out of global wars such as WW1 and WW2, and selling low-cost US goods and services to Euro nations. The tables are now turned. China and India are now selling cheaper than within the US. The world is a smaller place. Globalization is a reality that neither US unions nor US immigration policies can keep at bay. That's a seismic shock to the US , particularly to areas that haven't historically competed globally, such as public sector, manufacturing, etc.

I'm not an apologist for the US 1%, but I'd ask folks in the US to have a more global view. Who is really the 99% globally, and where do you fit in?

Posted on: 2011/10/9 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Point might be that to the rest of the world, the US's 99% is the world's 1%. Do they want to level the world's playing field, and drag the US back to the level of the world's 99%-ers? Slogans like "forgive global debt" point that way...

Do liberals want that? I don't think they're thinking on that level. But I've pondered that very thing quite a bit. Conservatives (and this includes most Democrats in Washington DC > especially Barack Obama) are the real global liberals here. They've dismantled our economy and made China, India and Brazil the new global power houses.

It's ironic and kind of funny that the Americans who fear China the most have done the most to empower them. China now laughs at us when we threaten them.

Didn't expect that answer, did ya.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/10/9 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
And your point?

Posted on: 2011/10/9 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/10/9 17:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
With the media claiming there is no particular agenda or direction from the protesters, I think this is the point everyone is trying to make.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ace, are you being idiotic and smokin' crack again? Don't confuse me with your parents. I am not confused. I am very well aware that Dubya was a stupid fool from hell.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Don't be idiotic.... Klugman is yet another privileged individual who grew up in Nassau County, NY. He knows nothing of the working-class other than what he's read in books or seen in movies. He didn't go to a State college; he went to Princeton. He is a well-paid sh*t-stirrer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Krugman#Personal_life

Ah yes, those idiotic liberal elites. They certainly can't be as knowledgeable as Dubya. Look what a great job he did and where he has left this country.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
And what have these "protesters" (read = idiots) accomplished?

Posted on: 2011/10/9 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
If you were one of the 700+ hauled off in a paddy wagon from the Brooklyn Bridge on Oct. 1, 2011 you can join the Garcia v. Bloomberg class action lawsuit. You can fill out a form and receive emails about the progress of the case here: The Partnership for Civil Justice Fund

I was one of the participants. Good times. Lots of pics for slide shows. Much better than vacation photos.

Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized ImageResized Image

Posted on: 2011/10/8 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Don't be idiotic.... Klugman is yet another privileged individual who grew up in Nassau County, NY. He knows nothing of the working-class other than what he's read in books or seen in movies. He didn't go to a State college; he went to Princeton. He is a well-paid sh*t-stirrer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Krugman#Personal_life

Posted on: 2011/10/8 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Sampling of Protest Signs:

?If I had a job I wouldn?t be here.?
?The people are too big to fail.?
?What?s in your wallet??
?This is not the future I was promised.?
?I refuse to believe corporations are people until Texas executes one.?

---------------------excerpt-----------------------

In downtown Jersey City, about 75 people linked arms in front of the Goldman Sachs building as workers in suits and ties peered down at protesters who were chanting; ?This is what democracy looks like!?? and ?Hey-hey, ho-ho, Goldman Sachs has got to go!?

Among the protesters in Jersey City was Pat Meany, clad head-to-toe in psychedelically painted clothing and a jacket hand-lettered with the words ?If it says ?Made in America? it must be an antique,?? rode his vintage Schwinn bicycle to the rally from his home in Hackensack.

?I?m hoping Obama will use this momentum to pass the jobs bill and raise taxes on the rich,?? said Meany. At 53, he said, it was near-impossible to find steady work anymore, and likened the odd jobs he?s able to find to those of a foreign day laborer.

http://www.app.com/article/20111006/N ... ton?odyssey=mod%7Cmostcom

Posted on: 2011/10/8 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/10/8 4:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
A bit on the side of propaganda, but it does point out a few select changes made since Reaganmania.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wK1MOMKZ8BI

Posted on: 2011/10/6 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
LOL....Mother Jones

You ever read MJ? It does actual investigative reporting, something that is getting rarer by the day. Very well written. Talks about things that corporate-sponsored media would never do. Nothing funny about any of that - or are you just laughing at the funny name?

Posted on: 2011/10/6 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
This is a very interesting article, which seems (to me) to sum up what is broken in our society and financial system, that the Zucotti Park contingent is protesting about "The Reign of the One Percenters"

While wordy, and maybe too wistful for the "good old days" of creative types running the show, it's a damning indictment of our modern financial services sector, and how its damaging our society.

As for those of you criticizing the 20-something hipster/protestors - are you kidding me? Who else is going to be out there? While they are clearly the "entitled" generation facing up to having to live in a world with fewer, worse options, their disappointment is genuine. I don't blame the rest of us who are too busy trying to hold onto our increasingly valueless homes, investments, undercompensating jobs, to get out there and try to make the world a better place.

A very thought-provoking article. It reminds me of Thatcher's Britain back in the 80's. It was a period when most of Britain's manufacturing jobs were lost to overseas competition. There were huge battles between unions and government over rights (entitlements) of workers. Coal miners strikes and race riots fueled by high unemployment. The US largely avoided these tensions in the 80's, mainly because local US demand kept the status-quo in-place - there were no seismic changes in manufacturing for example.

Fast-forward to 2011 in the US. We're hitting high levels of unemployment. We've a totally dysfunctional, even a non-functional US government. We've record levels of unemployment (15-20%+ if you ignore the government spin). We've no incentives to keep jobs local. We've no real incentives nor plans to build infrastructure, education that can build a country that can compete with the rest of the world. At least no plans that the government we have elected can agree to.

We've a shortage of doctors, technologists and other professional classes. We give overseas students a PhD education in local US universities, then kick them out of the country so they can use their US ed to compete with the US.

There are so many things that are broken in the US. Perhaps directing anger at the 1% is a start. (I'd caution people - ?careful what you wish for? - destroy the existing financial system and you may destroy millions of peoples investments, 401ks, retirements, etc). But I think a real future vision for America is needed that includes overhaul of infrastructure investment, immigration policies, taxation simplification, education, energy independence and debt reduction.

I hope we can get a gov committed to this sooner rather than later. Picketing Wall St? Not sure how that helps. Tossing your idiotic elected officials is more likely to achieve something. My advice would be to those occupying Wall St is to toss your Spitzers and Weiners.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 6:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The cynicism of some of you people is very funny and yet very sad. You chalk success up to a group of people who worked hard and made their fortune, the american dream. Truth is they twisted the system to work in their favor. They made millions and billions betting on America's (amongst others) failure. You think of the wealthiest 1% as great achievers! Ha! They will piss on your grave if given the chance.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"They eat donated food stored, prepared and distributed on site, are taken care of by professionals with on site meds, spend their nights under the stars in sleeping bags (the police won?t let them put up tents) and hold daily ?General Assembly? meetings to organize themselves and plan."

Sounds like Jim Jones at Jonestown before the massacre...pssst...do not drink the kool-aid.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
LOL....Mother Jones

Posted on: 2011/10/6 2:18

(1) 2 3 »