Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

Re: Bike Share System
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
There were 9 bikes last night here in Bayside Park, but this morning as of 7 AM there were only 2. People are skipping the lightrail and biking down to Grove or Exchange PL. So people are using them, even in GV.
no surprise here that people would use bikes to get PATH station. the other day I saw about 25 people waiting in line for a bike in manhattan; fortunately the citibike truck came with replacement bicycles

Posted on: 2015/9/22 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
There were 9 bikes last night here in Bayside Park, but this morning as of 7 AM there were only 2. People are skipping the lightrail and biking down to Grove or Exchange PL. So people are using them, even in GV.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 11:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
never a coincidence. always counter bad news with something nice and fuzzy.

back to bike share jc.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Interestingly there were 2 JC stories on the national NPR All Things Considered today: the Citibike story and Jim McGreevey managing to scam his lifetime health benefits with the compliance of the HCDO.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
I think the extra 15 minutes you get as an annual member is meant as an incentive to sign up, plus recognizing we are the harder core who will naturally go farther.

I would personally find the 30 minutes confining for all the stuff I get up to, but I could see doing it as a bikeshare-savvy visitor just mucking around JC for a day and wanting to explore.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Another nice perk is JC got all brand new bikes with the better 3 spd shifter, many of the NYC rides are beat to hell already.

The 30 min ride min. is douche.....

Quote:

elsquid wrote:
I did the ceremonial ride and then dock-hopped with a fellow Bike JC board member around like 5 different docks this afternoon, and everything worked great except for one individual dock that hadn't yet powered up.

All much better than day one of the NYC system, or for that matter day 100 of NYC. They have learned some things.

Oh, 2 slightly esoteric tips about Citi Bike:

1. Unlike most bikes with gears, which you're supposed to shift while pedaling lightly, Citi Bikes' internal hub gears are supposed to be shifted while you are NOT pedaling, just gliding. Works like a charm.

2. When you dock hop (riding one bike for most of your 30 or 45 minute limit, then switching it for another at a dock to get a new timer), you are locked out for about 2 minutes. You will get a red light if you put your key in. After 2 minutes it will give you a green light for a new bike.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I did the ceremonial ride and then dock-hopped with a fellow Bike JC board member around like 5 different docks this afternoon, and everything worked great except for one individual dock that hadn't yet powered up.

All much better than day one of the NYC system, or for that matter day 100 of NYC. They have learned some things.

Oh, 2 slightly esoteric tips about Citi Bike:

1. Unlike most bikes with gears, which you're supposed to shift while pedaling lightly, Citi Bikes' internal hub gears are supposed to be shifted while you are NOT pedaling, just gliding. Works like a charm.

2. When you dock hop (riding one bike for most of your 30 or 45 minute limit, then switching it for another at a dock to get a new timer), you are locked out for about 2 minutes. You will get a red light if you put your key in. After 2 minutes it will give you a green light for a new bike.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
As of now the system is up and running and people are clearly using it: the bike stations near path and light rail stops have only a few bikes available as in downtown NYC. Citibike will fine tune the supply...

Posted on: 2015/9/22 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Interestingly there were 2 JC stories on the national NPR All Things Considered today: the Citibike story and Jim McGreevey managing to scam his lifetime health benefits with the compliance of the HCDO.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop: Citi Bike Jersey City launch 'one of the most exciting things'

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
September 21, 2015 at  4:03 PM

JERSEY CITY — Citi Bike Jersey City launched this afternoon with a 1,000-foot bike ride from the Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza to City Hall, a helmeted Mayor Steve Fulop leading the way.

Citi Bike, the popular bike-sharing program that has over 7,000 bikes in New York City, is adding 350 bikes at 35 stations throughout Jersey City. Jay Walder, president and CEO of Motivate, which is managing the program, said today that Citi Bike has proven successful "in cities where there's lots to see and do."

"And no place is more exciting right now than Jersey City," Walder said. "Citi Bike and Jersey City are a perfect match."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... unch_one_of_the_most.html

Posted on: 2015/9/21 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
That is not exactly how ada works. I spend A LOT of time working with ADA codes and yes you need a turn around but you need a clear path of 36-44 inches in most spaces. The turn around need to be at change of directions and you can sometimes use a T turn. I'm not saying they aren't violating code bug ADA is much more complicated then that.

If the path narrows but at change of directions it gets wider they may be fine.

Many sidewalks are not 60 inches wide.

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

JCRider wrote:
Agreed that the "city officials" (User1111--do you know their names?) response was inadequate (ie, don't just say the stations can be moved easily, say that if they are indeed in violation of ADA that will be corrected as soon as possible! "Better understanding how and where people use the bikes" has nothing to do with a code violation.)

That said, User1111 deserves credit for going to the meeting and raising the issue. On that note, may I suggest that the time and energy being spent venting outrage and trying to put one another "in their place" on this message board would be more productively spent addressing Citibike directly about the issue?

Here is Citibike's contact info page:

http://www.citibikenyc.com/contact

I just called them and relayed the ADA violation concerns described below to the Customer Service Representative I spoke with, who told me that calls and emails on the subject sent to the customer service email address linked above would be forwarded to the appropriate person in the Citibike organization.

If you too are concerned about this, please call or send an email expressing your concerns and maybe this can be corrected in a timely manner.

I don't happen to know who in the JC government would be best to address this to, or I'd offer their contact info, too--perhaps someone else can chime in with that?

If nothing else, Citibike and the JC officials working with them will not be able to say later on they were never told about this!

Which stations are actually entirely blocking sidewalk access? I've seen some that cut into sidewalks a bit but not making them any more narrow than some existing sidewalks.

No one is claiming that entire sidewalks are being blocked. The issue is that these CitiBike stations are blocking enough sections of sidewalks as to render them in violation of established state and federal guidelines. A sidewalk needs to be 60 inches across for a wheelchair to be able to turn a full circle, or for two wheelchairs to be able to pass each other abreast.

Precisely. And to add to that, the racks are blocking a wide swath of the sidewalk - also a possible ADA violation. You can scroll to earlier posts within this thread where the exact specs are laid out. Specifically, though:

"All utility poles, light posts, traffic posts, fire hydrants, and other manmade vertical appurtenances are located outside of the sidewalk path. If right of way prevents relocation of an appurtenance, the pathway width is at minimum 32? wide and the length of the restricted pathway is no more than 2?."

Remember, this isn't just about someone in a wheelchair - this is about folks using scooter chair devices; walkers; and also for the visually impaired who have to navigate that sidewalk rack. Close your eyes for a second and imagine navigating one of the longer racks with some spots empty and some spots containing bicycles.

I really hope the city takes a good look at this compliance issue and asks front-line folks who are physically and visually impaired and their advocates for input as well.

I'm certain the Height's based Concordia Learning Center would be able to add their expertise to the discussion as well as the folks from JC Medical Center.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I wish the bike share program well (as long as they work out any potential ADA issues on sidewalk placement).

You may want to review the system's privacy policy here which outlines how your personal info (what you submit and what's collected by "automated means") and ridership habits/locations are collected and shared with a wide array of entities (including "municipalities and other relevant government agencies associated with the Service.")

Posted on: 2015/9/21 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Cool helmets bro!

Posted on: 2015/9/21 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/21 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Bike-Sharing Programs Gain a Toehold in New Jersey

Posted on: 2015/9/21 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCRider wrote:
On that note, may I suggest that the time and energy being spent venting outrage and trying to put one another "in their place" on this message board would be more productively spent addressing Citibike directly about the issue?

New to these parts?

Posted on: 2015/9/21 0:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/21 15:03
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
A truck filled with bikes just pulled up on Jefferson and Oakland in heights. Bikes will be in place ready for tomorrow.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are a bunch of places where I would like to see more docks, particularly in the middle of residential neighborhoods away from transit stations (the true "last mile" or half-mile legs).

If they get a decent number of new memberships from JC, there will be more docks next year.

But here's the thing: If you support this in general, and want to succeed, yet you are unhappy about the lack of docks in your area, there is exactly one effective thing you can do about it: Sign up. Now.

I know that sounds presumptuous, but that's how a for-profit, largely subscription-based system like this works. Why? Because when you have an annual membership, you have leverage. When your year is up, you can always choose NOT to renew--and that is exactly what will drive more dock coverage and service, the desire to retain members.

If you object to paying $125 (with prelaunch discount good until Monday) for something that doesn't yet serve your neighborhood as well as you'd like, I totally understand. I have memberships here, in Hoboken, and even in freaking Philly, but I'm That Guy. If you don't want to spend the money, I totally get it.

But the reality is, paid members who demand more in order to stay members are the most powerful force in bike share.

Posted on: 2015/9/16 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
There are no bike stations at Newport mall, Target, A&P, and Shop-Rite. Not practical for me.

https://member.citibikenyc.com/map/

Come on...! I have been critical of the JC CitiBike implementation, because of the sidewalk installations that are taking up a lot of space, but I think this is a bad/cheap complaint: the city can't just put bike racks in private property! Besides, it is a bit dishonest to say there aren't racks close by to at least some of the places you mention: there is a rack two blocks away from Shoprite (corner of Warren and 1st) and there is a rack one block away from one of the entrances that leads to the Newport Mall, over by the Newport PATH station.

About A&P and Target, they could have worked to get a station deployed over by that area, but there is very little residential space there (the projects, and the Cast Iron Lofts) but maybe submit a request for a new station.
perhaps, people should contact lefrtak/simon and request that they ask the city to put citibikes on their properties

Posted on: 2015/9/16 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
There are no bike stations at Newport mall, Target, A&P, and Shop-Rite. Not practical for me.

Come on...! I have been critical of the JC CitiBike implementation, because of the sidewalk installations that are taking up a lot of space, but I think this is a bad/cheap complaint: the city can't just put bike racks in private property! Besides, it is a bit dishonest to say there aren't racks close by to at least some of the places you mention: there is a rack two blocks away from Shoprite (corner of Warren and 1st) and there is a rack one block away from one of the entrances that leads to the Newport Mall, over by the Newport PATH station.

About A&P and Target, they could have worked to get a station deployed over by that area, but there is very little residential space there (the projects, and the Cast Iron Lofts) but maybe submit a request for a new station.

Posted on: 2015/9/16 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/16 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Bike Share Program to Launch Monday, September 21

The Jersey City bike share program, Citi Bike Jersey City, will launch on Monday, September 21 at 3 pm. On August 4, Citi was announced as the title sponsor of the Jersey City bike share program. The Horizon Foundation for New Jersey, SUEZ North America, CarePoint Health and Jersey City Medical Center?Barnabas Health were named founding sponsors.

Read more here - http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... unch-monday-september-21/

Posted on: 2015/9/16 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Consumed wrote:
i ran into one of the bike stations that were just installed by lincoln park. no idea why they put it in front of the church instead of in the park proper. these things are on the sidewalk and once the bikes are in them it will take 2/3+ of the sidewalk up.

If we?re sincere about helping one the world?s largest banks with their brand recognition, we all need to make sacrifices. If that means less room on the sidewalk in front of a valued architectural landmark to make way for the world?s clunkiest bikes and least efficient bike rack, so be it.

any type of sarcasm or subversiveness is neither understood or appreciated here.

Posted on: 2015/9/15 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Consumed wrote:
i ran into one of the bike stations that were just installed by lincoln park. no idea why they put it in front of the church instead of in the park proper. these things are on the sidewalk and once the bikes are in them it will take 2/3+ of the sidewalk up.

stupid stupid planning

The city doesn't operate Lincoln Park and may not have received permission from the county in order to install the bike racks there.

Posted on: 2015/9/15 20:42
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Consumed wrote:

If we?re sincere about helping one the world?s largest banks with their brand recognition, we all need to make sacrifices. If that means less room on the sidewalk in front of a valued architectural landmark to make way for the world?s clunkiest bikes and least efficient bike rack, so be it.

Posted on: 2015/9/15 19:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/5 12:37
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

stupid stupid planning

Posted on: 2015/9/15 17:07
Censorship is for pussies!!!!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
Sounds great! Hoboken or JC?

JC.

By the way, Citi Bike JC currently is offering $25 off annual membership, and I think the idea is that is a "pre-launch" offer, so if you wanted to take advantage, you might now only have until next Monday. Not sure about that, but I know they have used the term "pre-launch."

Posted on: 2015/9/15 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds great! Hoboken or JC?

Posted on: 2015/9/14 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Launch will be a week from today, Monday, Sept. 21, 3 p.m.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
since hoboken is not participating, i hope they place the bikes on the walkway near the lightrail station at hoboken terminal

Posted on: 2015/9/14 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Patience everyone. Growing pains are natural for complex emerging technologies such as the bicycle and bike rack, and with novel business concepts like bicycle rental.

Lucky they are not offering brain surgery, then we'd all be in trouble.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 15:53

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017