Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 14 »

Re: Bike Share System
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
I mean, the real problem isn't just the location - it's that this is not going in across Hudson County. I understand Fulop's game, here, allying with NYC's system in an attempt to strongarm Hoboken and Weehawken into going with CitiBike as well, but there's a decent enough shot that it doesn't work, and that would be a shame, as having a single bike sharing program from Bayonne up to Edgewater would really help people get between Hudson County cities.

Not to defend Fulop, but I think he was right to pull out of the PLANNED Hudson County bike sharing system and instead choose to align with CitiBike. While a county-wide system would have been nice, there is nothing concrete there yet, while Citibike (despite its own set of problems and flaws) is a system already established and ready for prime time. There is no telling if/when the Hudson County system will actually happen, it's viability, etc. There's also the matter of JC residents trekking into NYC in large numbers. Despite what some in here like to claim to the contrary, Jersey City has a HUGE amount of residents that choose to live here because of proximity to Manhattan and the rest of NYC, and because they commute to NYC on a daily basis. From that point of view, for many/most residents, it makes sense to have aligned with a bike share system that can be used in both cities.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I'd sign up if there was a location in Bergen Hill. Unfortunately, it seems that I need to march about a half mile out of my way in order to obtain a bike.

I am very surprised that the entire area around Astor Place got overlooked when choosing where to put stations. In fact, most of Lafayette (which is seeing a large influx of young professionals) got ignored, with a single station over by the light rail station. I wonder how quickly they will adapt to the market and change/remove/add locations.

Maybe I'm looking at CitiBike wrong, but I believe it to be a means to get to and from the transportation hubs and entertainment hubs.

To clarify, someone living on Astor and Monticello is looking to go to Journal Square. They should be able to snag a bike and ride that there, park it in one of the lots here and then use a bike home later. As it stands, the person would need to walk all the way to Montgomery to pick up a bike which would be ridden for about 4 blocks.

Similarly, the same person wants to go downtown. They'd need to walk all the way down to the Liberty Park Light Rail Station to ride the bike along the bridge and across town (basically about 6-8 blocks). Or, to Garfield Light Rail and then ride it...

Point being, and I know you aren't arguing with me, is that it seems like this is mapped all wrong. Those at the Garfield Light Rail might use it for JSQ, which is great. However, those that are looking to go to the Light Rail don't seem to have an option since they won't be able to ride there nor back.

And all of that only "works" assuming bikes are available in those stations at the times they're needed. In NYC that has been a big problem. I can't find a CitiBike anywhere between 5th Ave/3rd ave/34th to 23rd after 5:30 PM on any given weekday.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 2:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/2 20:56
From Jersey City. Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
If there was one near Astor Place, I would have already signed up. I was dreaming of being able to commute to Path, then use it again in NYC. Oh well, hopefully they will change it and add as they go.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
I mean, the real problem isn't just the location - it's that this is not going in across Hudson County. I understand Fulop's game, here, allying with NYC's system in an attempt to strongarm Hoboken and Weehawken into going with CitiBike as well, but there's a decent enough shot that it doesn't work, and that would be a shame, as having a single bike sharing program from Bayonne up to Edgewater would really help people get between Hudson County cities.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I'd sign up if there was a location in Bergen Hill. Unfortunately, it seems that I need to march about a half mile out of my way in order to obtain a bike.

I am very surprised that the entire area around Astor Place got overlooked when choosing where to put stations. In fact, most of Lafayette (which is seeing a large influx of young professionals) got ignored, with a single station over by the light rail station. I wonder how quickly they will adapt to the market and change/remove/add locations.

Maybe I'm looking at CitiBike wrong, but I believe it to be a means to get to and from the transportation hubs and entertainment hubs.

To clarify, someone living on Astor and Monticello is looking to go to Journal Square. They should be able to snag a bike and ride that there, park it in one of the lots here and then use a bike home later. As it stands, the person would need to walk all the way to Montgomery to pick up a bike which would be ridden for about 4 blocks.

Similarly, the same person wants to go downtown. They'd need to walk all the way down to the Liberty Park Light Rail Station to ride the bike along the bridge and across town (basically about 6-8 blocks). Or, to Garfield Light Rail and then ride it...

Point being, and I know you aren't arguing with me, is that it seems like this is mapped all wrong. Those at the Garfield Light Rail might use it for JSQ, which is great. However, those that are looking to go to the Light Rail don't seem to have an option since they won't be able to ride there nor back.

I think your point is, for lack of a better expression, right on point. And, in case it wasn't clear, I was agreeing with your original reply: they really chose some random places where to put, or not put, docking stations. Lafayette, while not as well established as DTJC, is seeing a lot of newcomers. CitiBike could have helped that growth by having bikes in more areas. As you rightly point out, anyone in the area would have to trek all the way to the LSP light rail station. At that point, why even bother biking?? You might as well just jump on the light rail. I wonder how much input was received from the community or residents, how much of it was from the city government, and how much was just people in offices randomly choosing locations to place the stations.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/12 19:07
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/12 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/12 16:40
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In case anyone is interested, here is a valid/functioning link to sign up for CitiBike with a $25 discount. The link has been "scrubbed" to only provide the discount code information and nothing else. In other words, there is no benefit to me, nor does it include any sort of reference to anything.

$25 off $149 CitiBike Annual Membership

Even if you have doubts about the viability or eventual success of Citibike in JC, the $124 membership is a good value considering it works in both JC and NYC.

And, as a little side note / evil pleasure, consider this: the borough presidents from the Bronx and Staten Island, and some other borough politicians, are shitting a brick over JC getting CitiBike before they did. Last week some of them were being interviewed in an NPR segment and they were almost foaming at the mouth claiming they were "disrespected" and promising investigations. Small minded politicians are so, so pathetic.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The way this is laid out, the system is not going to be very helpful for people, so few people are likely to use it, and when the contract is up, everyone will claim the program is a failure.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 13:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Considering that Hoboken is not part of the system, it's less likely that people would be taking those steeper ways in/out of the Heights (Mountain Rd., Paterson Plank, Ravine) and instead make their way over to Newark Ave. Those nice bike lanes in Hoboken that run near the light rail aren't even highlighted on the map.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
35 docks, 350 bikes. So in a "perfect world" 10 bikes at each location. Obviously this will never be the case, but it does put in perspective your chances of a bike being ready when you need it. I think this is a great idea and a great start, only time will tell if it's a successful endeavor or not.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. Those are pretty thinly spaced out.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
IMO, this is never going to work for commuting for most of locations they selected - the model works in NYC as the people who use it generally live close to where they work, and there are many business "nodes" the bike riding population commutes to so the bikes are always in circulation.

Here, too many of them will most likely be taken to one of the commuting hubs necessitating moving the stock around during the day. It may work OK on weekends for occasional riders to use locally, although outside of DTJC much of the city is too bike unfriendly for the casual rider this type of bike would benefit.

Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
However, is anyone ever going to bike up to the heights on one of these bikes? That climb would be ardous.

It is!! I can't see that happening, and I'm a fairly fit and slim but at 54 even Newark Avenue from DTJC is getting to be too much, never mind Mountain or Paterson Plank Roads. Maybe some of the newer, younger residents coming from NYC who are used to a bike culture, but I can't imagine it will be a big cohort.

I predict this will be confined to DTJC in the very near future.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 20:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skatee123 wrote:
Will be interesting to see how many people start utilizing it on a daily basis in certain locales as part of their daily commute to the PATH. I mean, if people in my neck of the woods, near Lincoln Park, think oh, I'll just bike to Journal Square, where are they going to leave the bike when all the other people in the surrounding area near JSQ think the same thing. There are only so many parking spots for those bikes - would suck to ride there and realize you have nowhere to leave it.

That is always a delicate dance during commuting hours, and CitiBike would be wise to deploy re-balancing crews during rollout like they use in Manhattan. Using the app will help somewhat to foresee the status of available docks.

I'm thrilled that they added a docking station at Hamilton Park; this will shorten my commute by 8-10 minutes each way.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 19:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cinergee wrote:
If you are a current Citibike NYC member, will you need to pay extra, or renew your membership, in order to use the Citibike JC bikes? Or is it truly ONE SYSTEM?

One system. You can't take a bike between them (example: you're not allowed to check out a bike by the Grove St. PATH, take it on the PATH train, and dock it at Christopher St. in NYC), but otherwise the membership works in both cities.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 19:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/2 15:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Will be interesting to see how many people start utilizing it on a daily basis in certain locales as part of their daily commute to the PATH. I mean, if people in my neck of the woods, near Lincoln Park, think oh, I'll just bike to Journal Square, where are they going to leave the bike when all the other people in the surrounding area near JSQ think the same thing. There are only so many parking spots for those bikes - would suck to ride there and realize you have nowhere to leave it.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 19:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/14 16:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
If you are a current Citibike NYC member, will you need to pay extra, or renew your membership, in order to use the Citibike JC bikes? Or is it truly ONE SYSTEM?

Posted on: 2015/8/5 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Here are the shared bike program locations...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/8/5 19:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/11 16:32
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Save $25 on Jersey City Launch Membership using link below.

https://member.citibikenyc.com/registe ... dPurchaseId=55c25c4aad479

Posted on: 2015/8/5 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe this won't be integrated with Hoboken.

That said the stations look to be in placed well. However, is anyone ever going to bike up to the heights on one of these bikes? That climb would be ardous.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Locations revealed.

There will be one at Hamilton Park.

http://media.nj.com/hudsoncountynow_i ... -map-accdac570e720101.jpg

Posted on: 2015/8/5 17:59
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City’s Bike Share Kicks Off in September

New system will work in tandem with the bike-share network in New York City

By Mozes Zarate 

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL      Aug. 4, 2015 9:23 p.m. ET

Jersey City’s bike-share system plans to launch in mid-September as an expansion of Citi Bike, with 350 bikes and 35 stations available to members on both sides of the Hudson River, officials said Tuesday.

The new system will work in tandem with the bike-share network in New York City, according to officials from Jersey City and Motivate, the organization that manages Citi Bike and other bike-share programs around the country.

For an annual membership of $149, users will be able to use bicycles in both cities for individual bike trips up to 45 minutes, and longer for an additional fee.

“It’s going to be something we integrate from a business and tourism standpoint,” Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop said in an interview. The city says that over the past two years it has added 22 miles of bike lanes.

A spokesman for Citigroup Inc.   C   0.05       %             said the financial-services firm is paying $2 million over five years for its sponsorship of the Jersey City bike share. The bikes in the Jersey City program are identical to the New York Citi Bikes, painted blue and branded with the Citi Bike logo.

Read more:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/jersey-ci ... f-in-september-1438737790

Posted on: 2015/8/5 5:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Yep. The story in the Jersey Journal said the locations of stations will be announced at a later date, but if you go to the Citibike JC website and scroll down you'll see what looks like a station map. Maybe this is subject to change, but it might give you an idea about how close or far a station will be from you.

https://www.citibikejc.com/

I joined Citibike when they launched in NYC. I support the goals of the program, but it just didn't work out for me. I could almost never find a bike in a rack when I needed one. And when they bumped the annual membership price up to $162 (incl. tax) this year, I threw in the towel. There's a chance I'll reconsider when they launch in JC, but I doubt I'll find it more convenient than using my own bike here.

Posted on: 2015/8/4 18:08

Edited by Bike_Lane on 2015/8/4 18:35:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
so this is finally going to launch in Sept.
This will be interesting to watch unfold.

Posted on: 2015/8/4 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

America’s Biggest Bike-Share Operator Now Makes Its Own Bikes

Motivate, the company that runs bike-share systems in several large American cities, is now manufacturing its own bikes. That might explain why the timetable for Citi Bike expansion has been getting a lot firmer.

When the current Motivate management team took over last fall, they inherited two big problems. Most of their systems ran on flawed software that crippled reliability and frustrated riders, and the manufacturer of their bikes had gone bankrupt.

Now both issues have been addressed: Replacement software from 8D Technologies installed this spring has a proven track record in other cities, and the new bikes — designed by Ben Serotta — clear up how the company’s fleets will be expanded and replenished.

The new bikes will be used in the expansion of Citi Bike starting later this year, in Jersey City’s upcoming bike-share system, and in any future system operated by Motivate. Bike-share docks will be compatible with both the new bikes and the old models made by Bixi.

Motivate_Green_BikeThe new design retains the thick boomerang-shaped frame — the notable differences are in the guts and components of the bike. Gearing has been adjusted so riders don’t spin so much in the low gear. The seats, notorious for cracking and retaining moisture in the current models, got an overhaul. “The construction and material are both supposed to improve wear,” said Serotta, “plus the hole in the middle allows water to drain and not puddle in the middle… and provides a more comfortable, better ventilated ride.” (Nigel Tufnel will be delighted to see that the seat post size now goes to 11.)

Read more:  http://www.streetsblog.org/2015/05/07 ... -now-makes-its-own-bikes/

Posted on: 2015/5/8 4:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Citi Bike Near Jersey City Launch

Under a potential pact, Citigroup would pay part of the $2.5 million upfront costs for the system

By   Andrew Tangel  April 3, 2015 7:42 p.m. ET

Thje Wall Street Journal

As Citi Bike expands in New York City later this year, blue bicycles adorned with Citigroup Inc.’s logo may start rolling on the other side of the Hudson River.

The financial giant is in advanced talks to sponsor Jersey City’s planned bicycle-sharing system, which is expected to launch later this year, a person familiar with the matter said.

Under the outlines of a potential agreement, Citigroup would shoulder at least some portion of the program’s estimated $2.5 million in upfront costs for 350 bikes and 35 stations where riders park them, this person said.

It wasn’t yet clear if an eventual deal would land the firm naming rights for the system. The person familiar with the matter said a contract hadn’t been drawn up, and cautioned there remained a number of unresolved issues. Other corporate sponsors also are expected to contribute to the program.

Citigroup’s involvement signals continued interest from deep-pocketed companies in paying for bike-share programs that have been springing up throughout the country in recent years despite sometimes bumpy starts.

Read more:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/citi-bike ... ey-city-launch-1428104532

Posted on: 2015/4/4 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop pedaling full speed with Jersey City's bike-sharing program

By Patrick Villanova | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
on March 30, 2015 at  6:28 PM, updated March 30, 2015 at  6:30 PM

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop is pedaling full speed ahead with his new bike-sharing program.

Fulop, who often bikes 25 miles to and from the George Washington Bridge in the mornings, discussed the city's bike-sharing initiative in the upcoming April 6 issue of The New Yorker.

While Jersey City had originally planned to join Hoboken and Weehawken in creating a regional bike-sharing program, Fulop instead opted to launch his own plan that links with New York's popular Citi Bike system.

"The other two towns were more conscious of the price, because the system to integrate with New York is more expensive," Fulop told the magazine. 

The initiative will start with 350 bikes priced at $5,000 apiece, according to magazine, which added that Fulop secured about $2.5 million from sponsors for the first batch of bicycles.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _bike-sharing_progra.html

Posted on: 2015/3/30 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Culturally, at least in America, most people view bicycles as kids toys or something you take out of the garage a couple times a year on nice days to ramble around the block. They are not viewed as legitimate forms of transportation. They are, however, vehicles - and highly efficient ones at that. Because of this, many people treat them as such - toys, not vehicles. Boggiano's excuse is incredibly lame and unintelligent, and condescending to those who use bicycles as their main mode of transportation. Building an infrastructure allows the means to spread information. Spreading information isn't as useful if you don't supply the environment to apply it.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
...He couldn't articulate this simple idea for some reason but his tone suggests he is against the bike share system. I have a problem with the way Boggiano came out against the red light cameras and now apparently is posturing against the bike program. He should remember that his constituents don't all own automobiles, yet we still have a right to cross streets at the light in safety and we have the right to ride bicycles. I'm really disappointed in him.

I'm neither surprised, nor disappointed. The first paragraph of his official city council bio says it all IMO "40 year resident". We hear the same car-centric mantra from other old-timers on this site - especially disappointing to me are the ones who remember the days of street-cars and trolleys covering most of JC, and who apparently didn't utter a peep when this vital asset was eliminated, on their watch, by the various grifters and boneheads they voted into office.

The attitude is widespread - for a hot, regrettable minute I joined a Facebook group called "Heights Rising", where people were complaining to Councilman Yun about having bike lanes at all, what with their being next to parked cars...

Thankfully, it seems like the tides of time are sweeping out old attitudes, retrograde politicos, etc.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 15:29

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017