Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Anyone else find the Ibby's guys incredibly rude?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ibby's has once again raised their prices, FYI. $14 and change for the Ibby's combo platter. Only a few years ago it was like $11...

Posted on: 2012/12/23 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
I was told personally by one of the guys who used to work there (no longer) that he was illegal.

Quote:

Texas wrote:
" illegal alien's wolf whistle"??? WTF? Who is illegal? Why would you assume Ibby's employees are illegal? Do you know something the rest of us don't? Why would Ibby's employees be illegal and not Mamoun's? You sound like a racist arse. I Was KIDDING with ya about meeting with ya and flirting. You ought to get your lady to give ya some lovin thou. You sound like you could use some stress release.

No one has ever whistled at me or me them at Ibby's, btw ...I smile and wink and they smile and wink back.

Hopefully one day when you have kids they will marry an "Illegal Alien". Is this the 1940s? Jeez.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 0:13

Re: Ibby's - DO NOT GO!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Ibby's is standard store bought style pita. Nothing wrong with that.

Gypsy is more substantial, really holds together well.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Beachguy wrote:
The fact is that if Mamoun's could put Ibby's out of business in Hoboken in just two months after they spent a couple of HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars to re-do the place, it should tell you something about the food and service.

Mamoun's is now facing some serious backlash, thanks to the price-gouging they engaged in post-Sandy (doubling prices on almost everything). Hoboken Ibby's may get a second chance.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 5:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
" illegal alien's wolf whistle"??? WTF? Who is illegal? Why would you assume Ibby's employees are illegal? Do you know something the rest of us don't? Why would Ibby's employees be illegal and not Mamoun's? You sound like a racist arse. I Was KIDDING with ya about meeting with ya and flirting. You ought to get your lady to give ya some lovin thou. You sound like you could use some stress release.

No one has ever whistled at me or me them at Ibby's, btw ...I smile and wink and they smile and wink back.

Hopefully one day when you have kids they will marry an "Illegal Alien". Is this the 1940s? Jeez.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No thanks, Texas. Don't want to be with someone that needs an illegal alien's wolf whistle to make her feel secure. I'll leave my flirting to the love of my life. Don't need to do it to get a little extra tahini.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Texas wrote:
If you want truly nice restaurant employees, go to Taqueria Viva Mexico in Paulus Hook, those guys are so super nice. They make the food how you want it and always with a smile. And even better, he food is really great and they have a lot of options for pescaterians like me.

Those guys are super friendly and the food is fresh and good.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jimmythesaint1 wrote:
I love their food but I hate giving them the business since I find just about everyone that works there to be complete a**holes. I've tried gypsy grill but I don't like their food as much. Hey Ibby's guys, if you're reading this would it KILL YOU to say thank you just once?!

Agree 100% about the attitude. I don't think there's anything spectacular about the food. The falafel balls are very good, that's about it and it doesn't take much to make a good falafel.

I've got to imagine the attitude has a noticeable impact on their bottom line.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 1:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hu Beachguy??? (are you and user1111 the same person?) I never said Ibby's was better or worse than any place in my previous post. I simply stated that I had never had a bad experience there. I LOVE Mamoun's (I like the food more than Ibby's for sure), although I still think the ones in the city are somehow better than the one in Hoboken. Everyone's experiences in life in general are different, and especially when it comes to food. Some folks hate the Taqueria because of the attitudes of the folks who own it and work there, others have never had a problem with the owners and or workers.

OHHH and YES, I love to flirt. Wanna meet for a drink so I can flirt with you, sugar? Why you gotta be mean? Me thinks ya need some Texas lovin :) And, I'm not a shep, I'm a lady.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
OK so Texas is trying to let EVERYBODY know that shep likes to flirt and she needs someone to flirt back at her to validate her existence. The fact is that if Mamoun's could put Ibby's out of business in Hoboken in just two months after they spent a couple of HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars to re-do the place, it should tell you something about the food and service. Lentil soup - totally unseasoned. The specials that they used to have for lunch are gone. The people working there are seedy looking. I tried them again despite the previous bad experiences and it was still a horror.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 1:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Damn, I need to learn to stop feeding the trolls. hehe

Posted on: 2012/11/14 22:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yuppie? Does that make you ghetto trash since you live in Greenville? I'm guessing working class, just like me. I'm working class trash, sugar. Get your facts straight. Moved here from Houston, never lived a day of my live in the amazing NYC. Would if I could afford to, and or worked there though.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Another silly yuppie thread, so sorry you peeps were rejected from NYC but you really should get over yourselves.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I love the guys at Ibby's. I have been eating there for the almost 8 years I have lived in JC and have NEVER had them be anything but nice to me. I have read complaints on here before about the employees at Ibby's, but this has NEVER been my experience. They say hello, smile, and if I flirt, well they tolerate me and giggle. I am from Texas, and when I first moved to Jersey I was appalled that so few folks said please and thank you (I later realized that it is a cultural or regional difference)...I still say it to everyone and the folks at Ibby's say it back. Sorry you have had a different experience.

If you want truly nice restaurant employees, go to Taqueria Viva Mexico in Paulus Hook, those guys are so super nice. They make the food how you want it and always with a smile. And even better, he food is really great and they have a lot of options for pescaterians like me.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 21:38

Anyone else find the Ibby's guys incredibly rude?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/19 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
I love their food but I hate giving them the business since I find just about everyone that works there to be complete a**holes. I've tried gypsy grill but I don't like their food as much. Hey Ibby's guys, if you're reading this would it KILL YOU to say thank you just once?!

Posted on: 2012/11/14 20:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/24 21:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Ibby's still is my fave. Gypsy Grill is good, but I do prefer Ibby's.

Was in Hoboken today and went to Mamouns. Falafel was delicious, sharma too. The lentil soup is a different version than Ibby's, I prefer Ibby's.

One issue I had was my bill. The total was $15.00. While I was eating I looked over the receipt and saw my total was $14.00 plus tax .98 and the grand total $15.00.

I could have easily let it go, but decided not to.

After I finished I went to the register and pointed it out to the guy. He said "It rounds" ... before I had a chance to say anything he asked if I want the "two cents back." He made it a point to emphasize the "two cents" part as to put me down.

I simply replied, "Yes." Got my change and was on my way.

The incident won't stop me from going back, but since I'm downtown JC and satisfied with Ibby's, I doubt I'll be making any trips to HOB specifically just for Mamouns. But will drop in if I'm in the hood and in the mood.

that's my 2 cents (pun intended) on the matter.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
"Yes, Ibby's is owned by a nephew of my father's," Hussam Chater confirmed.
http://hoboken.patch.com/articles/mam ... -the-hoboken-falafel-wars

So why doesn't he state the obvious that Ibby's is owned by his cousin ??

Posted on: 2011/9/30 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
"Yes, Ibby's is owned by a nephew of my father's," Hussam Chater confirmed.

http://hoboken.patch.com/articles/mam ... -the-hoboken-falafel-wars

Posted on: 2011/9/29 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah ... I kind of wish Mamoun's chose JC instead of Hoboken. But I really can't blame them, as foot traffic on Washington Street (especially after say, 8 pm) unfortunately blows away anything in JC.

Posted on: 2011/9/29 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Long time observer. first time commenter...so hope all of you don't think i am shilling or something.

I've been to Ibby's just once and the experience made sure that I would never return.

Around 2008, I finally decided to give the place a try. I go in. I am ignored for about 4 minutes(no, i will be there in a min) by this guy who is too busy trying to mack on 3 Hoors....who are not customers but seem to know the guy. To give you an idea all of them would easily fit into an episode of Jersey Shore.

The guy finally acknowledges my presence. I order two Falafel sandwiches to go. Instead of making my order...he goes back to his screeching muses. I wait. He finally prepares my order and rings me up and I leave. Later I realize i was overcharged a dollar or two. Felt real stupid.

The sandwich itself fell apart after two or three bites. The pita was cold and a bit hard. The falafel themselves were pretty dry. After that I never went back.

Two weeks ago, I had my hair done at Hoboken Man and decided to go to Mamouns(i've been to the Washington Square one and New Haven one) in Hoboken for the first time. The experience was completely different. I ordered a falafel sandwich. It tasted as good and fresh as the ones at the other locations. The service was cheery and fast. I put some hot sauce on and went to the outside seating and began to eat. The hot sauce i put on was way different. It was much spicer then the one i get in NY all the time. I really felt it. I went in to buy some water. The manager not only gave me water but had one of the guys toast me some pita with olive oil to take the heat down. I was grateful and told him that is not the same sauce from ny because i never had an issue with that. So i recommend Mamouns....and this weekend will give Gypsy a try. Will let you know how it went.

Posted on: 2011/9/29 6:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
I like the Swarama, harissa and the sandwich in general at Ibbys because I'm used to that style of sandwich. I'm having a hard time getting used to updated or "gourmet" pita sandiches ala, two pods and Gypsy.

Don't get me wrong, they're both very good and the service at Gypsy is outstanding but a lot of the time, I'm craving the simple meat, lettuce, harissa sandwich.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
In the age of the internet....

Posted on: 2011/9/26 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Smiles are free.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I enjoy the food at both Ibby's and Gypsy Grill. The Gypsy Grill is taking a TON of business away from Ibby's, though. I'd say Ibby's still has the majority of market share for falafel in the downtown area, but I'd say it will be 50/50 soon if the gruff service at Ibby's continues (which it will).

I've never been bothered by the service at Ibby's, but I can understand why some peoples' feathers would be ruffled.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 14:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/27 21:10
From Basking Ridge
Group:
Registered Users
I've always thought that Gypsy Grill and Ibby's both had excellent Falafel and Shawarma but the service at Gypsy Grill is far superior. Its like night and day.

I will say that I like Ibby's pita a little better but I will always take the extra walk to Gypsy Grill if I have time.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 5:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Snowflake I think you forgot the headless daschund in the kitchen.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, this is the new Taqueria thread. Next thing we'll see is the owner of Ibby's come on here and say that they think their JC customer's don't have any class and that they are going to close this branch soon because business is so much better in their new location. Also, people will be called douchebags and someone's baby will be insulted.

Posted on: 2011/9/25 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mjcbklyn wrote:
i was skeptical when i saw that a falafel place was opening in the same area as Ibby's, but two visits to Gypsy Grill has me totally converted. I hope they can keep it up, i know some places start out great and decline over time, but everything I've had at Gypsy Grill so far has been absolutely delicious. Especially the babaganoush. Not to mention the service is friendlier, and I also think I was overcharged at Ibbys at least once.

Did Ibbys every confirm that you were over charged when you addressed it with them ? Anyway glad you have an alternative though.

Posted on: 2011/9/25 19:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
i was skeptical when i saw that a falafel place was opening in the same area as Ibby's, but two visits to Gypsy Grill has me totally converted. I hope they can keep it up, i know some places start out great and decline over time, but everything I've had at Gypsy Grill so far has been absolutely delicious. Especially the babaganoush. Not to mention the service is friendlier, and I also think I was overcharged at Ibbys at least once.

Posted on: 2011/9/25 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Yup, same here showed up at 11:30 one night and said they were closed all the while they had the meat turning and some guy at the counter. I have showed up later than 11:30 and was able to get a shawarma sandwich.. Since then I haven't gone back.

Quote:

Haizum wrote:
[quote]

Wow I knew that this bar owner was trying to get a block party going, but had no idea that this happened. This explains the crappy service I've received. I haven't been there in a year, since the night I showed up at 11:30 and was told the kitchen was closed (they close at 12). It puts the nail in the coffin for me.

Posted on: 2011/9/23 23:25

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017