Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Ibby's - DO NOT GO!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The mystery is Ibby's pita problem is solved.

Last night, I stopped at Ibby's on the way home from PATH. I ordered a felafel taboulleh sandwich. Not as tasty as Gypsy but still fine. (And no one was rude or mean to me, or overcharged me -- but I do think Gypsy's food is tastier) At the last moment before the sandwich was wrapped up, the guy preparing my sandwich dashed some liquid from a bottle over the sandwich -- lemon? And that sank through to the bottom, and of course, the pita fell apart after three bites.

Posted on: 2011/9/23 13:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for the details. I won't ever be going there again.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 19:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Robocub wrote:
A neighborhood bar owner approached several businesses along Grove St near Wayne, one of which was Ibby's, to ask them if they'd be interested in participating in a local block party in which all the businesses could participate. Ibby's only reaction was to call the bar owner (yelling at him) a f**king fa**ot and to get the hell out of his place and he had no interest in associating with the bar owner or his bar. I think that speaks volumes of homophobia and hate.

The sad part is I love middle eastern food. My family is partly from that region and I've eaten this kind of food my all my life and it is still my favorite. I've been to Gypsy grill a few times and have ordered from them using Seamless. Each experience in person has been friendly, has been delicious, and no problems.

Quote:

cheese7 wrote:
Can you please explain the interaction you had with the employees at Ibby's that makes you say they are homophobic? I just want to make sure that I have a legitimate reason to never buy anything from them again.

Wow I knew that this bar owner was trying to get a block party going, but had no idea that this happened. This explains the crappy service I've received. I haven't been there in a year, since the night I showed up at 11:30 and was told the kitchen was closed (they close at 12). It puts the nail in the coffin for me.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hildygirl wrote:
I've been going to IBBYS for years and I love it and have never had a rude encounter - ever. I'm sorry someone had a bad experience but these reports are truly shocking to me. Never ever have I felt cheated or treated poorly. I always get service with a smile and some great food.

I've never been treated poorly, but I've never gotten service with a smile either. More like a snicker. As if they're saying, "if he only knew what's really in that falafel." Maybe it's just me, but after reading this thread, I suspect not. Also, a falafel is a great cheap thing to get. Now that they are $4.50 or so, that's not such a great thing anymore. Add to that Gypsy has a promo coupon in the new issue of NEW for a $1 falafel and guess who's getting my business? Yes the pita is doughy, and quite honestly, I like Ibby's a bit more, but not $4.50 more for a falafel half the size. As long as Gyspy is open, I will always choose them. For me, there's no reason not to. If you like Ibby's, then keep going there. Very simple.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 15:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
A neighborhood bar owner approached several businesses along Grove St near Wayne, one of which was Ibby's, to ask them if they'd be interested in participating in a local block party in which all the businesses could participate. Ibby's only reaction was to call the bar owner (yelling at him) a f**king fa**ot and to get the hell out of his place and he had no interest in associating with the bar owner or his bar. I think that speaks volumes of homophobia and hate.

The sad part is I love middle eastern food. My family is partly from that region and I've eaten this kind of food my all my life and it is still my favorite. I've been to Gypsy grill a few times and have ordered from them using Seamless. Each experience in person has been friendly, has been delicious, and no problems.

Quote:

cheese7 wrote:
Can you please explain the interaction you had with the employees at Ibby's that makes you say they are homophobic? I just want to make sure that I have a legitimate reason to never buy anything from them again.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 15:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/28 13:50
Group:
Registered Users
I've been going to IBBYS for years and I love it and have never had a rude encounter - ever. I'm sorry someone had a bad experience but these reports are truly shocking to me. Never ever have I felt cheated or treated poorly. I always get service with a smile and some great food.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 14:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/12 0:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matty wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
I go to either one depending on the mood I'm in. But if I want the best that I have had in that area, I go to the 2 Pitas in a Pod truck. It shows up in front of Duane Reade during the week. Their sandwiches are the best!

2 pitas are the truth. pricy but the quality matches the cost.

Thanks guys! This is one of the Two Pitas, the one that lives in JC actually (it's literally two of us owners, in a Pod). Thanks for the props! We do it all from scratch and give out healthy portions and glad you appreciate it!

Service will be sporadic for a bit now that Groove on Grove is over, but we are going to try to start serving down by Columbus & Marin for dinner in a couple of weeks. Just follow us on FB or Twitter so you know or just call us if you don't use 'em!

Posted on: 2011/9/22 2:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/9 19:05
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed Catzeem...they need to be taught a lesson...I will never step foot in there again! Go to gypsy grill..they are sooooo nice! The owner and the employees are always smiling!

Posted on: 2011/9/21 20:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 17:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Great thread... I've had the same experience with wrong stuff delivered/missing items. Called and was told remind them next time, never ordered again and that was 2 years ago. If it was a soda I wouldn't have called. But 2 of the 5 dishes... seriously. Looking forward to trying Gypsy, thanks JCList!

Posted on: 2011/9/21 19:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/9 19:05
Group:
Registered Users
I gave up on this place when I first moved here 7 years ago. We ordered food and they forgot a portion and when I asked them to please send it since I paid for it they simply said NO! They kept my money and told me to remind them next time. What kind of ridiculous policy is that? They are rude and nasty. I am not sure why anyone would choose to give such thieves their money! I went to the location before that and always felt and arrogance from them...annoyed to serve the customer. I say ban Ibby's and go to Gypsy Grill. They are warm and welcoming and the food is great!

Posted on: 2011/9/21 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
+1 for Gypsy Grill!!! I used to like Ibby's but stopped ordering from there after they messed up my takeout orders twice. And they are also super expensive for what you get. I also don't like their addition of iceberg lettuce to everything including the tabbouleh. On the other hand Gypsy is SO GOOD and cheap. I am addicted to the falafel sandwich with hot sauce, pickles and tahini. But so far everything I've had from there is fabulous. The owner is also super friendly, helpful and sweet. I highly recommend it!!!

Posted on: 2011/9/21 18:00

Re: Ibby's - DO GO!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jerry_Kakaku wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Ibby's and love their food. However, after reading up on Gypsy Grill here, my wife and I decided to give them a try for lunch today.

We felt Gypsy Grill was mediocre and did not compare to our consistent exceptional experience with Ibby's.

We've been visiting Ibby's since 2008 and actually make a special trip into JC from Central New Jersey for their falafels, babaganoush, hummus, chicken kabobs, and shawarma.

Being huge falafel fans we've tried most of the recognized falafel joints around NJ and still haven't been able to find something comparable to our love for Ibby's taste and quality.

It's sad to hear about the negative customer experiences. We visit Ibby's at least 8 times a month and often introduce our friends and family to the brand. Our guest usually end up being customers making their own trips to JC to satisfy their craving for Ibby's.

During our most recent visit, we had family visiting us from London who wanted try the best Falafels in the U.S.. We took them to both Mamouns and Ibbys. They all said Ibby's had a better product compared to anything they've had in London which happens to have some great Lebanese restaurants.

Although I wish the best for Gypsy Grill, my love and patronage shall remain with Ibby's Falafel unless another competitor can do it better.

LOL... it's a FALAFEL you know... Not a great cut of dry aged beef. You should print this glowing review and put it on the wall of your store for all to read.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
LOL. We have someone saying they have never gone to Ibby's, because everyone who works there is homophobic; we have some sock puppet signing up today to claim that Adnan and Mamoun's falafel mafia rule the Northeast in their first post.

Wow! Ibby's may not deliver to your neighborhood, but JCList does, time and again! Keep up the good work!

Back to you regularly scheduled idiocy.

Don't you have to donkey punch some woman?

Posted on: 2011/9/21 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
LOL. We have someone saying they have never gone to Ibby's, because everyone who works there is homophobic; we have some sock puppet signing up today to claim that Adnan and Mamoun's falafel mafia rule the Northeast in their first post.

Wow! Ibby's may not deliver to your neighborhood, but JCList does, time and again! Keep up the good work!

Back to you regularly scheduled idiocy.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 3:21
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jerry_Kakaku wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Ibby's and love their food. However, after reading up on Gypsy Grill here, my wife and I decided to give them a try for lunch today.

We felt Gypsy Grill was mediocre and did not compare to our consistent exceptional experience with Ibby's.

We've been visiting Ibby's since 2008 and actually make a special trip into JC from Central New Jersey for their falafels, babaganoush, hummus, chicken kabobs, and shawarma.

Being huge falafel fans we've tried most of the recognized falafel joints around NJ and still haven't been able to find something comparable to our love for Ibby's taste and quality.

It's sad to hear about the negative customer experiences. We visit Ibby's at least 8 times a month and often introduce our friends and family to the brand. Our guest usually end up being customers making their own trips to JC to satisfy their craving for Ibby's.

During our most recent visit, we had family visiting us from London who wanted try the best Falafels in the U.S.. We took them to both Mamouns and Ibbys. They all said Ibby's had a better product compared to anything they've had in London which happens to have some great Lebanese restaurants.

Although I wish the best for Gypsy Grill, my love and patronage shall remain with Ibby's Falafel unless another competitor can do it better.

hmmmmm....lets see first post and an absolute glowing review of Ibby's. Who wants to bet Jerry_Kakaku is the owner at Ibby's, or at least works there?

I'm gonna have to call Bravo Sierra on this one

Posted on: 2011/9/21 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Post number 1 from "Jerry_Kakaku"

Jerry, Mamouns isn't the best Fallafel in NYC, nevermind the US. It's simply the most famous.

Would take Taim, Azuri Cafe, Olympic (and a bunch before it) any day of the week. Especially Azuri, the best.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not one to talk negatively about people on this board except for the mayor and the current administration, but I won't go to Ibby's anymore. I just can't eat compressed meat sliced off of a giant rotating wheel, plus I was treated rudely by Ibby and his brothers so I stopped going even though I liked the soup and falafel. I also witnessed them ignorantly mistreating someone that they perceived to be gay, not trying to disguise their disdain at all. But he's laughing at us all the way to the bank because he's opening Ibby's number 3 in Hoboken. Mean people suck.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 22:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/20 21:57
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/9/20 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Further promoting Gypsy Grill.

The cashier threw in two mango drinks for free once. I ordered two $4 sandwiches. They gave me nearly the same cost of food for free with those drinks. Not only would I get the same drink again (i liked it and never had it before) I'll continue to go to Gypsy Grill over Ibbys even though I live a stones throw from Ibby.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I like the Gypsy pita better. it doesn't fall apart like ibby's when stuffed and sauced. Ibby's pita is standard grocery variety, Gypsy's is more substantial and can take some grilling (which I prefer).

Posted on: 2011/9/20 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
...the pita is basically wonder bread baked in a circular form.

yeah, I wasn't sold on Gypsy Grill's pita at first, but what's inside it is so good, I've come around to the circular wonder bread.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scribblejam wrote:
I've said this before and i don't mind saying it again, but Ibby's has really rude service. I HATE feeling like i'm doing them a favor by going there, so i don't. I'm not even saying i want service with a big fake smile, but just be responsive to my requests without rolling eyes, or standing there doing nothing when I just asked for something.

I wasn't even aware of Gypsy Grill, but now I'll try and find it. A little competition is the best thing that can happen to Ibby's.
It's on Newark Ave, just a bit before Jersey.

I like Gypsy Grill a lot. Cheap, and as has been said, the owner and workers are really friendly. Once got a falafel with hummus and didn?t realize the hummus cost extra so the guy insisted I take it at the regular price. Plus I think it's tastier than Ibby's.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 14:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/9/20 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
We eat get food from Ibby's at least once a week, sometimes more if we work late and everything else is closed.I have no problem with the food, but a few times the guy taking my order was a little bit sarcastic and dicky. I just thought I was being oversensitive and ignored it until now. Clearly I wasn't pms'ing and they are just A$$HOLES. And now that I just read they are homophobic they can go F*?K themselves. They should invest in a razor as well, people are supposed to have 2 eyebrows...

Posted on: 2011/9/20 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have been eating at Ibby's for about 5 years. Always loved it, still do.

That said, Gypsy get's my scratch these days. the combo sandwich with extra hot sauce is awesome.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 23:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hey 4merLIgirl you should seriously consider posting your experience on Yelp and other food oriented sites. I've never gone to Ibbys because I heard Ibby and his boys were extremely homophobic which is so not cool and I don't give a f**k what your religion is. People are people are cilents. Treat everyone respectfully and give good service and your business will thrive. Do the opposite and it will fail. Good riddance to Ibby and his thieves.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 20:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Ibby's used to be my mainstay for quick middle eastern food around here but Gypsy Grill is quickly overtaking them. I think some items are better at Ibby's (the tabouleh, harissa, and shwarma come to mind) but the veggie sandwiches at Gypsy might be better. The pita at Gypsy used to bother me a little bit but I do appreciate the fact that it keeps the sandwich together, and the more I eat it the less I mind it. You're pretty much wearing an Ibby's sandwich two bites in.

I haven't had overcharging or rudeness issues with Ibby's (lack of friendliness != rude) but their delivery is definitely flaky and often the guy shows up with no change. Gypsy Grill on the other hand is always reliable in that department.

Long story short, it's nice having a choice but Gypsy Grill has become much more of a contender than I ever imagined them being.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 15:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if Taqueria is getting jealous of all this negative press that Ibby's is getting instead of them?

Personally I love Ibby's, I've never had a bad experience, and I'm always impressed with how quick they prepare my platters. But am inclined to try Gypsy Grill based on all the positive feedback here.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 15:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/14 20:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
I go to either one depending on the mood I'm in. But if I want the best that I have had in that area, I go to the 2 Pitas in a Pod truck. It shows up in front of Duane Reade during the week. Their sandwiches are the best!

2 pitas are the truth. pricy but the quality matches the cost.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 15:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/14 20:06
Group:
Registered Users
haaaaa, i've also had this experience at ibby's re: halfway home thinking, wait, pretty sure i was overcharged. perhaps i wasn't cooking the math wrong. and they are grossly overpriced to begin with.

it's always been service with a sneer at ibby's. their food is slightly better than gypsy grill's, but the service and prices at gypsy are right. the owner there is super friendly.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 15:07

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017