Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Federal judge orders Port Authority to make Grove Street PATH station handicapped-accessible
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

This pic is from the 2014 Port Authority Capital Plan. Go to page 18 for the details on Grove Street. Phase 1 is interim ADA compliance, and Phase 2 is expansion to accommodate 10-car service.

On page 30 it says that ?the ADA portion of Grove Street Station Redevelopment is forecasted to be completed in 2017. ?

I don't know how the recent settlement of the lawsuit affects this plan, which was released in February 2014.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 16:01

Re: Federal judge orders Port Authority to make Grove Street PATH station handicapped-accessible
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i realize they were sued, but they can also be sued again to force them to speed up the installation. 3 years - REALLY?!

Posted on: 2014/7/1 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
3 years for an elevator is ridiculous. the pa should be sued. how long does it take the mta to install an elevator?

Uh... this whole thread is about how they were sued. Did you miss that or are you trying to be funny?

Posted on: 2014/7/1 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
3 years for an elevator is ridiculous. the pa should be sued. how long does it take the mta to install an elevator?

Posted on: 2014/7/1 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
The ADA laws have been in effect for years. For the PATH Board to signoff on all that new construction for Grove/Marin Street and ignore the law is disgraceful as a public authority. I would expect that from some private organization; I wish we could fire these dopes. You know the fares will increase due to their mismanagement.

The thing is, they fully believed that because the entrances, including the renovated east one, were grandfathered in like most pre ADA construction, they were not subject to the ADA. I know someone in the PA engineering division and he was firm about this.

The greater point is that this whole affair affirms the PA culture of sliming by, just doing the bare minimum required by law rather than doing what they know is the right thing. As an entity created to serve the public, we should be able to expect more of them, rather than the sociopathic behavior we expect of private corporations.

Not saying I don't agree with you but is NJ Transit any different? Or any other transportation type agency?

Seems to me to be a typical failure of government.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
The ADA laws have been in effect for years. For the PATH Board to signoff on all that new construction for Grove/Marin Street and ignore the law is disgraceful as a public authority. I would expect that from some private organization; I wish we could fire these dopes. You know the fares will increase due to their mismanagement.

The thing is, they fully believed that because the entrances, including the renovated east one, were grandfathered in like most pre ADA construction, they were not subject to the ADA. I know someone in the PA engineering division and he was firm about this.

The greater point is that this whole affair affirms the PA culture of sliming by, just doing the bare minimum required by law rather than doing what they know is the right thing. As an entity created to serve the public, we should be able to expect more of them, rather than the sociopathic behavior we expect of private corporations.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
North side, by the accursed escalators.

Thanks for the info. I hope they can do this work without closing one of the entrances. 3 years is a long time to wait...

No way is this getting done in 3 years. More like 4 or 5 years to be realistic. Let's not kid ourselves, this is the PA we're talking about.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 10:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/1 0:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/26 22:57
Group:
Registered Users
I thought I had heard that it was going on the corner of Grove and Columbus, next to the parking garage/Subway.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:

Thanks for the info. I hope they can do this work without closing one of the entrances. 3 years is a long time to wait...

No kidding -- particularly since the lawsuit took 7 years already. An entire decade for an elevator is ridiculous.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the elevator's location. The NJ.com article says "southwest entrance." The rendering I saw was part of an unrelated plan, so it might not be the one they're going to use.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/30 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/30 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
A rendering I saw a couple months ago (buried deep within a PowerPoint someone linked on here) had the elevator next to the plaza entrance.

What's the difference between an elevator and a "passenger vertical platform" anyway?

Where is the plaza entrance? Columbus and Marin? The south side of Columbus near Grove? Or the north side of Columbus with the terminally malfunctioning escalators?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A rendering I saw a couple months ago (buried deep within a PowerPoint someone linked on here) had the elevator next to the plaza entrance.

What's the difference between an elevator and a "passenger vertical platform" anyway?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Port Authority settles suit over disabled access to Grove Street PATH station

The Associated Press By The Associated Press
June 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM

NEWARK ? The Port Authority and two advocacy groups have reached a settlement in a seven-year-old lawsuit over disabled access to the Grove Street PATH station.

The two groups, Heightened Independence and Progress, Inc., and the United Spinal Association, claimed the Port Authority's renovation of the station in Jersey City completed in 2005 violated federal law by not including an elevator for disabled individuals.

The Port Authority claimed in court filings that the statute of limitations had run out before the groups filed the lawsuit, but a judge disagreed.

In a document filed Thursday, the Port Authority agreed to construct an elevator at the southwest entrance to the station and a passenger vertical platform lift on the west side of the station. The additions are to be completed within three years.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014 ... _street_path_station.html

Does this mean that one or more of the entrances will be closed for the next 3 years in order for them to do this work?

Sounds like they'll probably close the entrance on the south side of Columbus in order to install the elevator.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:

NEWARK ? The Port Authority and two advocacy groups have reached a settlement in a seven-year-old lawsuit over disabled access to the Grove Street PATH station.

The two groups, Heightened Independence and Progress, Inc., and the United Spinal Association, claimed the Port Authority's renovation of the station in Jersey City completed in 2005 violated federal law by not including an elevator for disabled individuals.

The Port Authority claimed in court filings that the statute of limitations had run out before the groups filed the lawsuit, but a judge disagreed.

In a document filed Thursday, the Port Authority agreed to construct an elevator at the southwest entrance to the station and a passenger vertical platform lift on the west side of the station. The additions are to be completed within three years.

Does this mean that one or more of the entrances will be closed for the next 3 years in order for them to do this work?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Didn't the Port Authority actually LOSE this suit several years ago and agree to make the station handicapped accessible? What would there be to settle anyway?

Of course, regardless of what any judge decided, I don't see how you can enforce a verdict against a party that is not a person or a corporation. You can't jail the Port Authority and the Port Authority won't care about any fines imposed on them either.

I'm pretty sure you can make a corporation or the authority directors liable. Its unbelieveable that in today's day and age that public facilities are not disability friendly - The Port Authority should be ashamed of themselves and the people that didn't make this happen that had the authority to make it happen, should have been terminated from their position - no excuses, no buck passing.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 12:51
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:

Didn't the Port Authority actually LOSE this suit several years ago and agree to make the station handicapped accessible? What would there be to settle anyway?

Of course, regardless of what any judge decided, I don't see how you can enforce a verdict against a party that is not a person or a corporation. You can't jail the Port Authority and the Port Authority won't care about any fines imposed on them either.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 7:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Fantastic! Now maybe they will replace the German escalators that are not meant to be operated in the weather that they are subjected to.
Whenever I walk past those repair guys who are ALWAYS working on those escalators I have to laugh about the fact that they must know how ridiculous it is they're there all the time, I also can't help but think about their unbelievable job security as long as the escalators remain at that location.
So stupid!

Doubtful, different construction zone. It sounds like the street to mezz stage will be by the opposite stairs to the S side of Columbus.

But speaking of lawsuits, SOMEBODY should be getting their ass sued for those escalators, whether it was due to malfeasance, defectiveness, or criminal incompetence. "Shit happens and no one can be blamed" is unacceptable, despite it's prevalence on Wall Street.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
hooray.it is just ridiculous that neither christie, corzine, mcgreevy, cuomo, patterson nor pataki used their influence to push the port authority to do the proper thing

Posted on: 2014/6/30 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Fantastic! Now maybe they will replace the German escalators that are not meant to be operated in the weather that they are subjected to.
Whenever I walk past those repair guys who are ALWAYS working on those escalators I have to laugh about the fact that they must know how ridiculous it is they're there all the time, I also can't help but think about their unbelievable job security as long as the escalators remain at that location.
So stupid!

Posted on: 2014/6/30 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What do you suppose the legal bill for 7 years of litigation is? Even if it's in-house we all paid for them to fight us making them do the right thing.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Nice to see the Port Authority being held accountable for something for a change

Posted on: 2014/6/30 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/30 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why would the Port Authority desire to do the "right" thing and spend the money to make it ADA accessible. Surely if they can find money to move a freaking bridge, then they can build an elevator someplace.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I used to work for the firm that represented the plaintiffs, and also worked with the attorney for the non-profit on other disability access cases. This was litigation begging to happen. The PANYNJ's claim that this was just a renovation of an existing entrance was ridiculous.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
and someone should sue to make the port authority keep the elevators in good working order - sometimes the elevators are out of service for an extended period of time which is not convenient for those who really need it.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
This is great news for the disabled!

However, given how long it took to install 2 staircases a couple of summers back (like 6 months for what should have been 2 weeks of nighttime work, max), it will probably take about 5 years to install an elevator.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
wow, It's 2011 and we are finally thinking about our disabled - we wouldn't want to discriminate against any groups !

Posted on: 2011/9/9 0:24
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
I notice that the two non-profits that went to bat for us and forced the Port Authority to do what we all knew was the right thing, aren't even given the credit due them by name.
Shame on you, nameless newspaper, for not daring to name the heros of this story.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 23:46

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017