Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 'Unlivable' building in Downtown Jersey City has black mold, water damage, holes in ceilings; six fa
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, what a beautiful building it once was. I don't think it's hard to believe it's the same building, they just boxed in all of the historic details at some point, probably to avoid restoring these historic details. I really hope somebody can restore it to it's former glory at some point. It would really be the final piece of the puzzle in an otherwise very nice-looking corner.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 16:51

Re: 'Unlivable' building in Downtown Jersey City has black mold, water damage, holes in ceilings; six fa
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Here are old and new photos of the 'unlivable' building on corner of Wayne and Barrow :

http://www.jerseycitythenandnow.com/2 ... ding-barrow-wayne-st.html

It's hard to believe that it's the same building...

Posted on: 2013/2/12 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, the fact that that place got demolished so quickly always struck me as very fishy. Nothing happens that fast in Jersey City. There's no way there could have been anything approaching a thorough investigation.

Quote:

JC_User wrote:

At that point the building 'happened' to burn down.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 0:46

Re: 'Unlivable' building in Downtown Jersey City has black mold, water damage, holes in ceilings; si
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Were there ever charges against them?!

Posted on: 2013/2/10 14:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/19 4:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This building is owned by Del Forno's investment company, Five Star Investment Group. This is what happened to another of their properties:

Five Star Investment Group own(ed) 141 Newark Avenue as well. That building was a commercial / store front brick building built in the 1880s that could have been beautifully restored, with not too much effort.

But in 2007, the real estate market in Jersey City had hit the (recent) bottom, and the building was unoccupied.

At that point the building 'happened' to burn down.

An investigation showed that the fire had been intentionally set:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_city_blaze_was_set.html

(The picture in the article show the back of the lot (facing Columbus Ave) covered in a mural, not the easily restored 141 Newark Ave store front.)

Could the same thing happen to the building on the corner of Wayne and Barrow? If I was living next door, I would make sure to have good fire insurance cover.

But you aint heard that from me...

A you tube video of the fire at 141 Newark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxe4e0f2mLc

141 Newark building being torn down, the day after:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yomYt9khI0

Posted on: 2013/2/7 5:27

Re: Dilapidated Building - corner of Barrow and Wayne
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 1:25
Group:
Banned
That was an apartment building. Residents were kicked out a year or two ago when an inspection found a large number of violations. It's been sitting there with an orange sticker ever since.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 19:27

Re: Dilapidated Building - corner of Barrow and Wayne
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
That had originally been part of a project proposed for the two parking lots, the yellow building on the corner and the gray house. The project known as Columbus Corner would have seen a restoration of the gray house and the yellow building as well as low rise new construction along Barrow and mid-rise building on the Columbus side.

But that was all pre-crash dreaming, so who knows now.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 19:22

Dilapidated Building - corner of Barrow and Wayne
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
A week or so ago my girlfriend spotted an orange official-looking sign on the gray building on the northeastern corner of Wayne and Barrow.

Years ago, this building seemed to house some sort of men's social club, as I constantly saw middle-aged to golden-aged Latino men hanging out around there, watching sports. They were pretty nice guys and kept to themselves mostly. I haven't seen that kind of crowd there in a handful of years though.

Does anybody know the story with this building? Is anybody currently residing there? Is it a target for restoration?

Posted on: 2013/2/6 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I smell a scam, a slumlord at work, they wont fix it because they want out. Just like all the owners of the buildings on Ocean and MLK most of them are living in Deal, NJ but they wont fix any of the nasty buildings because they are waiting for a big pay day. No one cares in the city that they are a sore eye and houses criminal behavior because they are mostly located in black neighborhoods, Most of the slumlords thought they would get paid big time once the lightrail came but they are still waiting.... slumlords are very popular in this city.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 1:43

building at corner of wayne and barrow
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
whats going on with that building that has been empty for so long. i see they have applied for some type of certificate from the city.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 0:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/9 20:50
Group:
Banned
Though I am not involved in this particular situation I am aware of how these types of things work.

If anybody really put thought into this they would realize that taxes going up is the driving force for the gentrification of downtown jersey city.

If you are a home owner, and I have to say from some of the responses I have hear, that some of you cant be.
You would know that there is a tax re evalution going on in Jersey city.

A Tax re evalution in this case will make them go up. Not so much but considerably. This means that owners who have been paying low taxes are now faced with an increase.
Logically, what is the next natural progression for them.

RAISE RENT (to a reasonable rate for the location in my opinion)

This is the reason for alot of properties not reneweing leases with people who in my opinion are paying too little for the location and convenience of downtown living.

In this buildings case. Why would the owner invest money into a building that is falling apart with tenants that arent paying there fair share like everone else in the neighborhood, due to there rent stabilized lease created in 1950's

Posted on: 2011/9/12 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
What if it were owner occupied would the building still have been condemed ?

Posted on: 2011/9/10 20:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
If anyone knows them and needs a spanish translator, please send me a message.

It is a shame but they should be in a safe place. People out of fear, lack of funds, or not well informed live in these conditions in this city, state, and country.

Here is info about their rights.

Condemning or closing a building. The housing and property maintenance codes allow inspectors to declare a house or apartment building ?unfit for human habitation? if there are serious defects in the rental unit or building. These defects must pose a threat to the health and safety of the tenants. A collapse in the structure of a building or an absence of heat or hot water are the types of situations that may warrant declaring a building unfit. By declaring the building unfit, the inspector can order you to leave your rental unit and close the building.

There have been cases where an inspector has condemned a building even though the defective conditions were not serious enough to force tenants to leave the building. For example, a landlord seeking to convert a building into condominiums could get the tenants out of the building with the inspector?s help, thereby avoiding the requirements of the condominium conversion laws. Cite: 49 Prospect Street v. Sheva Gardens, 227 N.J. Super. 449 (App. Div. 1988). If you suspect that the housing inspector or your landlord is trying to illegally force you out of your home, you should get advice from a lawyer. (See Finding a lawyer.)

If the building inspector tells you in writing to move because the building has been declared unfit, you might be entitled to relocation assistance from the local government. Relocation assistance includes help in finding a new place to live, moving expenses, and up to $4,000 in assistance towards buying or renting a house or apartment. Cite: N.J.S.A. 52:31B-1 et seq. and N.J.S.A. 20:4-1 et seq. (See Relocation assistance.)

in spanish
http://www.lsnjlaw.org/espanol/index.cfm

A yuppie with a heart. i don't think all of us want people kicked out. I enjoy the diversity of downtown and my parents came to the states in the 70's with nothing. It makes me so mad when folks make generalizations.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 17:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/31 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dgarbato wrote:
I live across the street from the Ugly Grey House. I've been in this neighborhood for 16 years. I work at home and see everything that goes on night and day.

Evicting people due to violations is a common legal strategy to get an owner of a dilapidated property to sell----sans rents, the owner can't pay for repairs and can't pay the fines and must sell or go bankrupt. The same thing is happening w/the houses next to the park on Wayne. In that case, the people ARE a problem.

But the people in the Ugly Grey House were very quiet. Most of them are low income immigrants. I've heard all sorts of rumors about drugs and illegal gambling going on. But I've never seen anything--no cars pulling up at all hours or anything. The people never bothered anybody. I have no doubt the house was unsafe, but this stuff does not happen overnight--like, due to the recent storms.

I think the people being thrown out was really sad--I sat and watched as people were loaded into vans w/minimal posessions. Some of the little kids were crying. I didn't think they were given any warning. Many of them didn't speak English.

Again, I have no trouble believing the house wasn't livable. But at the same time, this is an excuse for yuppies to get rid of something that hurst their property values. In fact, the neighborhood associations have been talking about getting rid of those people for years.

To a less noticable degree, the same thing has happened with some private homes that were purchased in the 1970s. While the owners take reasonable care of them, they are not beautifully renovated show pieces. In these cases, the Historic Society gets on their case and says things like plants are too close to the fence---do people in $1.5 million homes every hear that? They, they slap on fines and even liens hoping they will sell.

I don't want drug dealers around here. But do we have to all be yuppies? I like that there is diversity and hard-working people who just may not own the latest model car and cell phone.

Thank you for talking about the people who suffered as a result of this unfortunate example of negligence! Is there any word on their health... to where they were relocated? The situation is heartbreaking.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 20:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/9 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
I live across the street from the Ugly Grey House. I've been in this neighborhood for 16 years. I work at home and see everything that goes on night and day.

Evicting people due to violations is a common legal strategy to get an owner of a dilapidated property to sell----sans rents, the owner can't pay for repairs and can't pay the fines and must sell or go bankrupt. The same thing is happening w/the houses next to the park on Wayne. In that case, the people ARE a problem.

But the people in the Ugly Grey House were very quiet. Most of them are low income immigrants. I've heard all sorts of rumors about drugs and illegal gambling going on. But I've never seen anything--no cars pulling up at all hours or anything. The people never bothered anybody. I have no doubt the house was unsafe, but this stuff does not happen overnight--like, due to the recent storms.

I think the people being thrown out was really sad--I sat and watched as people were loaded into vans w/minimal posessions. Some of the little kids were crying. I didn't think they were given any warning. Many of them didn't speak English.

Again, I have no trouble believing the house wasn't livable. But at the same time, this is an excuse for yuppies to get rid of something that hurst their property values. In fact, the neighborhood associations have been talking about getting rid of those people for years.

To a less noticable degree, the same thing has happened with some private homes that were purchased in the 1970s. While the owners take reasonable care of them, they are not beautifully renovated show pieces. In these cases, the Historic Society gets on their case and says things like plants are too close to the fence---do people in $1.5 million homes every hear that? They, they slap on fines and even liens hoping they will sell.

I don't want drug dealers around here. But do we have to all be yuppies? I like that there is diversity and hard-working people who just may not own the latest model car and cell phone.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 18:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Any word on the people who were relocated as a result of the dangerous conditions? Apparently they were living with the terrible conditions for years... were they given medical attention right away? Who picked up the tab on that? Hope they don't suffer long-term respiratory problems as a result of the negligence.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
These were the plans to renovate/build from September 2008:

Resized Image

Resized Image

http://www.emporis.com/building/colum ... rner-jerseycity-nj-usa663

There are some old photos out there of what the building used to look like, back before they bricked in the porches where people now live. It was actually nice at one point in time. It'll have to be torn down and totally rebuilt at this point, though.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Maybe it's historic because the residents are immigration reenactors?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
GrovePath wrote:
View Larger Map
that ugly ass grey building at Barrow & Wayne? That thing is hideous how the hell is it a landmark?

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The owner and management have other buildings like this?? This has the potential to be a class action if others have also been put at serious risk.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The rent must be really cheap!

Posted on: 2011/9/1 14:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
GrovePath wrote:
View Larger Map
Another well managed Del Forno building!

Posted on: 2011/9/1 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
While I understand that this landlord is at fault and should have fixed the building I wonder why someone would stay in a shithole for 36 years. I can understand if someone stays for a year or two, maybe even 5 years while they try to find a new affordable place but 36 years being unhappy and miserable sounds terrible.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
what's the address? i used to live right nearby on wayne many years ago

Posted on: 2011/9/1 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
yes..that rat trap (imo) should have been torn down about 50 years ago...what a monstrosity. hopefully they can build something nice and give the current occupants some type of deal.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

downright wrote:
That building is a disgusting dilapidated mess. Why in the world would it be considered a landmark?

Got me. I used to live a few doors from that place, and both old-timers and new transplants have complained about its various issues for years. A former neighbor once asked Dan Wrieden if that place would ever be torn down, and Dan got all outraged at the suggestion and pointed to the upstairs window and roofline, prattling some gibberish about "classic Victorian architecture." My neighbor had a hard time keeping a neutral expression during that pedantic diatribe.

When you look at the roof, it looks like whoever built it made a very poor attempt at achieving some kind of victorian style. I have no building or architecture experience whatsoever, yet I'm sure I could do a better job designing a "victorian style" home.

Either way, the place is a complete mess. And it shouldn't have taken an inspection by the city after a hurricane to determine that it is not fit for living. You can figure that out by using google streetview.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 20:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/9 20:50
Group:
Banned
I walk by this building everyday.
It is in such bad shape the only solution is to tear it down.
If another building goes up whats the big deal.

This is the natural progression of city living.
in regards to the people living there, its unfortunate but there are plenty of other places that they can relocate to.

Why so anti developer and angst against the progression of our city getting better?

Posted on: 2011/8/31 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
That building is a disgusting dilapidated mess. Why in the world would it be considered a landmark?

Got me. I used to live a few doors from that place, and both old-timers and new transplants have complained about its various issues for years. A former neighbor once asked Dan Wrieden if that place would ever be torn down, and Dan got all outraged at the suggestion and pointed to the upstairs window and roofline, prattling some gibberish about "classic Victorian architecture." My neighbor had a hard time keeping a neutral expression during that pedantic diatribe.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/8/31 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
This seems like a very thinly veiled attempt to put a dent in the "Wayne Street Issues"; totally not surprised that it took a developer spending money on the block to happen.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 19:14

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017