Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Combine the City and School Board Budgets
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/24 11:45
Group:
Registered Users
To the Editor:

Our city is in dire need of a fiscal reform. My three top priorities are education, reducing taxes and creating jobs.

Jersey City is one of the highest taxed cities in our nation and it is yet to see a good education system and better job opportunities for every resident so they can afford to pay their taxes.

Our city has given too many tax breaks to companies and businesses. They need to step in to help our Jersey City residents to find jobs. With the unemployment rate of 9.5 percent we as a city can not move forward as we stand to lose more jobs. We live in a poor city and I believe everyone deserves to have a job. Our graduates from our city schools need a job. We can not afford to give tax breaks to all our businesses without them paying it back to our community by opening the door for hiring.

It is time for City Hall and the local Board of Education to work together to improve our education system. A career-guided education system helps the city to map its economy, and help the students and residents to find jobs at the same time.

Why don?t we combine the city and public school budgets together with $631 million dollars, $21.5 million from the Abbott School District plus the federal grants coming to our public schools? Let?s add to that our $470 million city budget ? one city one budget. I believe with the right people elected as officials the two budgets, when combined together as one budget, can have a better outcome for our city, education system, a relief from high taxes and job creation.

One of my ideas is melding budgets as a real solution for our city fiscal problems.

Gov. Chris Christie ?strongly encouraged? school districts to use their extra cash from the Abbott School District to reduce property tax burdens for homeowners, but our district went in another direction.

Nabil Youssef
At-Large City Council candidate

Posted on: 2011/9/2 22:34

Re: Meld budgets, focus on jobs, writes Jersey City council candidate
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Gov. Chris Christie "strongly encouraged" districts to use their extra cash to reduce property tax burdens for homeowners. The idea of Meld budgets

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011 ... ool_districts_to_use.html

Few N.J. school districts to use increased state aid toward property tax relief

Only a sliver of the state?s roughly 600 school districts have opted to use their share of an unexpected $150 million boost in state aid for property tax relief, a Department of Education spokesman said Thursday.

The 20 school districts from across the state include mid-sized Bridgewater-Raritan and East Brunswick as well as Morris County?s Butler and Hunterdon County?s Hampton.

Gov. Chris Christie "strongly encouraged" districts to use their extra cash to reduce property tax burdens for homeowners, but most districts went in another direction. Some underfunded districts used the money to restore programs and reduce class sizes. Others chose to save it for next year?s budget.

The budget Christie signed authorized $150 million for non-Abbott school districts, on top of the $8.1 billion allocated for all districts in his proposed budget.

Warren Township Superintendent Tami Crader said the school board is using the district?s extra $387,320 in aid for property tax relief as a "thank you" to voters who passed the school budget in April.

"To hold on to that large amount of money considering we had no increased need would have been disingenuous," Crader said. "This represents an effort by our board to be conservative."

Districts had just five days after receiving their exact state aid figures to tell the Department of Education how they intended to use the money, said New Jersey School Boards Association spokesman Frank Belluscio.

In Glen Ridge, school board members squeezed in a vote to use the district?s $268,047 in additional aid to lower homeowners? property tax bills, said business administrator Peter Caprio.

"This year we had one of the lowest tax increases we?ve had in years, and now it?s even lower," Caprio said. "We were at 2 percent. Now we?re down to 1 percent and these dollars are going right back to the taxpayers."

Previous coverage:

? 20 of 580 school districts will use restored state aid to lower property taxes

? N.J. public school districts to receive at least 2 percent funding increase

Related topics: butler, chris-christie, east-brunswick, glen-ridge, hampton-hunterdon-county, nj-budget-2011, nj-department-of-education, raritan-somerset-county, warren-township.

Thank You All.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
You cannot legally meld budgets from two different taxing agencies. The problem - people run for office who rarely attends meetings and do not know the parameters of the office. Before anyone runs for office, they should attend meetings for a least a year.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 13:55

Re: I am running for Jersey City Council seat because we need a reform
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
asdfdf23 wrote:
I was only commenting on PBW's statement. Nothing else.

No where did I endorse the candidate. I do not know the candidate and based on his postings I give him about a 1% chance of succeeding. This would be equally true even if his name reflected a different ethnicity/culture.

My point stands.

[quote]

I've responded to your ramblings, but you've made no point that "stands", as far as I can ascertain.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 13:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
PBW,
You have my profound apology, you are correct.

It was skepticalhook that wrote what irked me, not you.

Thanks for being so reasonable in pointing out my error.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Of course, Jersey City has been the source of serious muslim reformers in the past. A few of them took down the towers on 9/11. I hope that's not the kind of reform your looking for.

My goodness PBW! Such views.
But then again, maybe you have a point!
Keep in mind just 2 weeks ago a serious white christian reformer murdered about 90 people in Norway.

With this reasoning lets keep white christian reformers out of the political process. Agreed?

BTW: I would really appreciate your thoughts on our governor speaking about Muslims and Sharia Law just 2 weeks ago (July 26). Check out the video at http://youtu.be/y83z552NJaw
I look forward to your response.

If you read the posts above, you will realize that you quoted me for what another poster had written.

So here is my response that you have been looking forward to:
Please be more care on voting day.

I look forward to your apology.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 9:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was only commenting on PBW's statement. Nothing else.

No where did I endorse the candidate. I do not know the candidate and based on his postings I give him about a 1% chance of succeeding. This would be equally true even if his name reflected a different ethnicity/culture.

My point stands.

Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Of course, Jersey City has been the source of serious muslim reformers in the past. A few of them took down the towers on 9/11. I hope that's not the kind of reform your looking for.

Keep in mind just 2 weeks ago a serious white christian reformer murdered about 90 people in Norway.

With this reasoning lets keep white christian reformers out of the political process. Agreed?

BTW: I would really appreciate your thoughts on our governor speaking about Muslims and Sharia Law just 2 weeks ago (July 26). Check out the video at http://youtu.be/y83z552NJaw

I'm sorry, perhaps you were too daft to read that I hoped he was NOT a nutjob. Everyone in this nation has gotten so PC, so we're supposed to forget and not even mention 9/11 and the millions of muslims across the globe calling for the downfall of the US.

As for your Norwegian reference, you are correct, if you mean I would like to eliminate nazi's from public office as well. He's a nazi.

As for your chosen candidate here, his approaches are juvenile at best. First, he's flat out wrong on his facts. JC is not even among the top 100 cities in highest paying taxes: http://wealth.mongabay.com/tables/100_high_tax-20000.html

Without the tax breaks, businesses will flee. NYC gives them. JC is competative. There are plenty of other places for businesses to go.

As for combining budgets, how is that going to solve anything other than giving more money to politicians to move around for their own ends?

I don't know this guy. I don't know what he's about. Where he comes from. I don't even know what he looks like. It seems clear that he is not really qualified, but is rather running on a platform of liberal sympathy and guilt, in this case towards muslims and minorities. It may work. It's an approach that's proven quite successful.

I'll wait to see who else is running before making up my mind, but I doubt this guy's getting my vote simply because he's muslim and says buzz words like "reform", "hope", or "change". But you seem to have blindly gone right for it, so enjoy your choice.

Peace.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:

I'm sorry, perhaps you were too daft to read that I hoped he was NOT a nutjob. Everyone in this nation has gotten so PC, so we're supposed to forget and not even mention 9/11 and the millions of muslims across the globe calling for the downfall of the US.

As for your Norwegian reference, you are correct, if you mean I would like to eliminate nazi's from public office as well. He's a nazi.

As for your chosen candidate here, his approaches are juvenile at best. First, he's flat out wrong on his facts. JC is not even among the top 100 cities in highest paying taxes: http://wealth.mongabay.com/tables/100_high_tax-20000.html

Without the tax breaks, businesses will flee. NYC gives them. JC is competative. There are plenty of other places for businesses to go.

As for combining budgets, how is that going to solve anything other than giving more money to politicians to move around for their own ends?

I don't know this guy. I don't know what he's about. Where he comes from. I don't even know what he looks like. It seems clear that he is not really qualified, but is rather running on a platform of liberal sympathy and guilt, in this case towards muslims and minorities. It may work. It's an approach that's proven quite successful.

I'll wait to see who else is running before making up my mind, but I doubt this guy's getting my vote simply because he's muslim and says buzz words like "reform", "hope", or "change". But you seem to have blindly gone right for it, so enjoy your choice.

Peace.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 1:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:

Posted on: 2011/8/8 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
You should also mention your idea to increase taxes on businesses in the Jersey City.

The one that if implemented, would force more businesses to leave, - along with the jobs.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
What happened in the past two weeks? Or did you mean years, Referring to the FBI shake up?

Tell me your views. I wouldn't vote for you just cause you are non-caucasian, which would be racist itself. But I would vote for you if I agreed with you on most issues.

Yeah--using words like "reform" without any detail (or, I presume, any real concept) is simply an empty political move. What's your plan? What are your qualifications? Is simply being a member of a minority your ticket to politics? It's worked in the past, but how about getting serious and not just running based upon a skin color.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Go do something Nabil for JC.

When your only cred is a prior BOE run and a rambling JClist post...not going to win you many votes.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 10:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Our city has given too many tax breaks to companies and businesses. They need to step in to help our Jersey City residents to find jobs. With the unemployment rate of 9.4 percent ...

NABIL YOUSSEF
FORMER BOARD OF EDUCATION CANDIDATE
JERSEY CITY

So, Nabil, if you have your way when elected, you will raise taxes on businesses.

Businesses will leave the city.

There will be fewer jobs, and we will have to pay more in taxes to pick up the slack.

Well, thanks for the heads up.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
What happened in the past two weeks? Or did you mean years, Referring to the FBI shake up?

Tell me your views. I wouldn't vote for you just cause you are non-caucasian, which would be racist itself. But I would vote for you if I agreed with you on most issues.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 17:32

I am running for Jersey City Council seat because we need a reform
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Editor:

There is no doubt of what happened in our Jersey City Council the past two weeks, which raised many questions among the Jersey City residents and voters. Can a Mayor or a Councilperson in our city put their political parties or agenda before the needs of our residents and voters? If there is a good proposal made and not matching with their agenda it is always voted down. There seems to be only one solution concerning our city council, it is in dire need of a reform. Our City Council members need to be freed from their obligations so they can really serve our city well.

We need independent City Council members. Jersey City is the most diverse city in our nation. Our residents speak 28 different languages and have not yet elected or appointed one City Council from the minority. Shouldn?t the City Council in any city represent the people living in the city? In our case, we are so far from that reality. Our current Mayor has 6 years of service and has had many opportunities to appoint more than one City Council or head of department. Unfortunately, he has not appointed any minority members to date.

Jersey City voters, I am announcing, that I will be running for the November elections City Council-at-Large Open seat. I am looking for your support. I believe that our city needs is an Independent City Councilperson that represents the voice of our city residents. Thanking you in advance for all your support.

Respectfully,

Nabil Youssef

Former Jersey City Board of Education Candidate

Copyright 2011 Hudson Reporter. All rights reserved.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - I am running for Jersey City Council seat because we need a reform

Posted on: 2011/8/6 16:36

Meld budgets, focus on jobs, writes Jersey City council candidate
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Our city is in dire need of a reform my three top priorities would address: education, reduce taxes, create jobs.

Jersey City has the highest taxes in our nation and it is yet to see a good education system or better job opportunities for every resident so they can afford to pay their taxes.

Our city has given too many tax breaks to companies and businesses. They need to step in to help our Jersey City residents to find jobs. With the unemployment rate of 9.4 percent we as a city can not move forward as we stand to lose more jobs. We live in a poor city and I believe everyone deserves to have a job. Our graduates from our city need a job. We can not afford to give tax breaks to all our businesses without them paying it back to our community by opening the door for hiring.

It is time for City Hall and the local Board of Education to work together to improve our education system. A career-guided education system helps the city to map its economy, and help the students and residents at the same time.

Why don't we combine the city and public school budgets together with $631 million dollars, $21.5 million from the Abbott School District plus the federal grants coming to our public schools? Let's add to that our $470 million city budget, one city one budget. I believe with the right people elected as officials the two budgets, when combined together as one budget, can have a better outcome for our city, education system, a relief from high taxes and job creation.

Thanking you in advance for all your support.

NABIL YOUSSEF
FORMER BOARD OF EDUCATION CANDIDATE
JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2011/8/6 16:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact