Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City: From a Skate Park to the World
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/25 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the active survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JCskatepark

Posted on: 2014/8/18 18:47

Skate Park Design Survey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
The City has two preliminary designs for the SK8 Park and is conducting a survey on people's preferences.

Quote:
Welcome to the Jersey City Skatepark Survey!
JERSEY CITY FIRST CONCRETE SKATEPARK IS COMING! GET STOKED!

After a community driven design meeting, Site Design Group, visionary, well known skatepark design firm (http://sitedesigngroup.com) has released two concepts for the new skatepark located at Berry Lane Park.

Berry Lane Park will transform more than 17 acres of property, including former rail yards, junk yards, auto repair shops, industrial facilities, and warehouse, into recreational space for Jersey City residents. The park, which is currently under construction, is located in the Communipaw-Lafayette Section of Jersey City, New Jersey. Construction of the park began in 2012. It is scheduled to open to the public in 2015. Check out here for more info: http://thejcra.org/blp

The Skatepark site is located by the defining historic silos. Overall, the skatepark design is limited by preexiting conditions, state wide risk policies, and budget. For the deeper features, such as bowls, has been determined by the existing conditions on site, including the depth of the clean soil cap installed during environmental remediation.

We, the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, want your feedback. These skatepark designs are concepts, not final construction drawings. These concepts will be refined and revised, based in part on community feedback. We want to hear from you!

Posted on: 2014/8/18 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've now revised my report to take account of recent developments and have uploaded the revised version to Scribd:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/58300722/Je ... a-Skate-Park-to-the-World

FWIW, 854 people have read it so far.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
@PBW: Not if enough people tell them differently. It's YOUR city, YOU live here. THEY don't own it. Don't let them rule it.

stc4blues, just saw your recent post on this thread and looked back at your proposal and previous posts. Love your enthusiasm and dedication to making JC a better place.

Maybe the skaters in Enos Jones Park can make Jersey City a better place and clean up their trash? That rink is a f***ing mess.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
stc4blues wrote: I started this thread back in August 2011 by linking to this crazy-ass report: Jersey City: A Skate Park to the World. It was crazy when I wrote it back in October of 2007, but sometimes you just have to sketch out a dream to see what it looks like. Back then New York's High Line was just a concept and the Mana Contemporary complex in Journal Square didn't exist.
I?ve been thinking. Let?s say that program had a 1% chance of implementation when I originally drew I up. I now say it has a 15%, which is a substantial improvement, but not something you?d want to bet on. Well, I?d bet on it, but I?m biased and I?ve made lots of bets like and, as you?d expect, have lost most of them. Why 15%? 5% because the NYC High Line is now real, and a success; 5% because Mana Contemporary is on the move in Jersey City; and 5% because Fulop wants to make Jersey City (JC Independent): Quote:
?the best mid-sized city in the country.? Philadelphia is a bigger city, he knows, but how they utilize street artists as part of the city?s cultural department is something he hopes to bring here. Same goes with Denver, which has a web-accountability program. ?They?re constantly self-assessing themselves on different metrics on an on-going basis,? he says. That creates transparency, he argues, and can cover everything from how well trash is collected to school-by-school graduation rates.
How will things look in 2 years, 4 years? Interesting times.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, Bubble_Tea. I just wrote a series of three posts on how Jersey City became my home (I'm not a native): How I Found a Home in Jersey City and Got Steve Fulop Elected Mayor, Part 1 How I Found a Home in Jersey City and Got Steve Fulop Elected Mayor, Part 2 How I Found a Home in Jersey City and Got Steve Fulop Elected Mayor, Part 3 Don't let the send part of that title fool you. Yes, I DID vote for him, and, no, I'm not delusional. But there's a point there.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 10:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
@PBW: Not if enough people tell them differently. It's YOUR city, YOU live here. THEY don't own it. Don't let them rule it.

stc4blues, just saw your recent post on this thread and looked back at your proposal and previous posts. Love your enthusiasm and dedication to making JC a better place.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 4:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I started this thread back in August 2011 by linking to this crazy-ass report: Jersey City: A Skate Park to the World. It was crazy when I wrote it back in October of 2007, but sometimes you just have to sketch out a dream to see what it looks like. Back then New York's High Line was just a concept and the Mana Contemporary complex in Journal Square didn't exist. Things have changed. Mana Contemporary continues to grow and plans to put a hotel in their complex. No sane person would put a hotel there. But they're visionaries and they seem to have enough money to pay for implementing their visions. What they're doing will draw tourists to Jersey City and raise property values. And they're only 5 or 6 blocks from where I proposed a hotel in that report. What they're planning to do makes the various projects in that report more plausible. When they've got their hotel open for business, let's re-evaluate that report and see how things look. Oh, and we've got a new administration. Things change.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 12:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Photos from a fact-finding trip to Philadelphia. Took this one at FDR, the largest do-it-yourself skate park in the world: IMGP2614rd Took this one a Pop's Skate Park, a small park in Northeast Philly. Police report an 80% reduction in crime in a two-block radius around this park since it opened two years ago: IMGP2670rd

Posted on: 2013/1/21 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
National Sporting Goods Association, 2008 report:

MOUNT PROSPECT, IL ? Among sports and recreation activities that grew more than 15% the past 10 years, skateboarding led the way with a 74.1% growth, according to the National Sporting Goods Association (NSGA). Data contained in NSGA?s annual ?Sports Participation ? Series I and II? reports, which are now available, shows skateboarding grew from 5.8 million to 10.1 million participants between 1998 and 2007. Target shooting had the second highest 10-year growth, 63.3% to 20.9 million participants.

Other sports and recreation activities showing more than 15% growth over the 10-year period included snowboarding (41.7% to 5.1 million participants); running/jogging (40.1% to 30.4 million participants); archery target shooting (37.5% to 6.6 million participants); workout at club (27.5% to 33.8 million participants); motor/power boating (24.1% to 31.9 million participants); muzzleloading (16.1% to 3.6 million participants); and exercise walking (15.6% to 89.8 million participants).

?Skateboarding saw a remarkable increase in the last 10 years, due in part, to the television exposure provided by ESPN?s X-Games,? said NSGA Vice President of Information & Research Thomas B. Doyle. ?Much of that increase came at the expense of inline skating, which saw a decline of 60.4% (to 10.7 million) during the same period. In the 1990s, during inline skating?s peak growth period, skateboarding suffered similarly.? In 1998, there were 27.0 million inline skaters.

http://www.nsga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3966

Posted on: 2012/11/23 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
A few stats:

Skatepark Facts
- More than 600 skateparks were built during 2001 in the U.S.
- There have been more skateparks built in the last three years than in the previous twenty
- 75% of communities that built a skatepark said that the park produced a significant reduction in the street skating problem
- 94% of communities agreed that their skatepark was a benefit to the community
- 50% of communities who built a skatepark has plans to build another

Rider Facts
- More than 9.3 million skateboarders will take to the streets in the U.S. this year
- In 2001, more people over the age of 7 participated in action sports than baseball, soccer, softball, volleyball, tennis or football (nearly 21,000,000).
- During the last ten years, no sport had a larger increase in participation among users age 7 and older than skateboarding (a 106.3% increase)
- Skateboarding is the third largest sport for participants between ages 6-18
- Skateboarding is the sixth largest participant sport in the U.S.
- 1 in 10 U.S. teenagers owns a skateboard
- In 2001 Female participation in skateboarding increased 23.7%

From here:

http://suburbanrails.com/cgi-bin/WebO ... a/wa/loadPage?pageId=2566

Said the website from a company that builds skateparks. Duh....

Posted on: 2012/11/22 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A few stats:

Skatepark Facts
- More than 600 skateparks were built during 2001 in the U.S.
- There have been more skateparks built in the last three years than in the previous twenty
- 75% of communities that built a skatepark said that the park produced a significant reduction in the street skating problem
- 94% of communities agreed that their skatepark was a benefit to the community
- 50% of communities who built a skatepark has plans to build another

Rider Facts
- More than 9.3 million skateboarders will take to the streets in the U.S. this year
- In 2001, more people over the age of 7 participated in action sports than baseball, soccer, softball, volleyball, tennis or football (nearly 21,000,000).
- During the last ten years, no sport had a larger increase in participation among users age 7 and older than skateboarding (a 106.3% increase)
- Skateboarding is the third largest sport for participants between ages 6-18
- Skateboarding is the sixth largest participant sport in the U.S.
- 1 in 10 U.S. teenagers owns a skateboard
- In 2001 Female participation in skateboarding increased 23.7%

From here:

http://suburbanrails.com/cgi-bin/WebO ... a/wa/loadPage?pageId=2566

Posted on: 2012/11/22 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Philadelphia' FDR park, built by sk8ers for sk8ers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FDR_Skatepark

Posted on: 2012/11/22 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TheTacoTruck wrote:
stop worrying about Vigilante's opinion. She's harmless...

Said the genius who called all his customers at Taqueria "classless". It would probably be a good idea for you to keep your mouth shut and make some tacos.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 6:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
stop worrying about Vigilante's opinion. She's harmless...

Posted on: 2012/11/22 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:Have all the fun you can handle but any person who thinks the city is gonna build a "world class skatepark" is smoking some potent weed.

The city slipped a skate park into the plan for Berry Lane at the last minute but the neighborhood shot it down at community meetings because it wasn't within the design specs had been the community had settled on four years ago during a design charette.

So, the city was planning to spend money on a skate park. They can easily plan to put it somewhere other than Berry Lane.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jzara wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
How do I put this nicely? No one gives a flying f*** about skateboarders. And yes, you are right, it's probably because they are annoying. All 20 of them.

Careful, no one have any fun with this guy around. Curmudgeon police alert. I've never seen someone get so angry and worked up about a skate park. If you panic about every potential minor inconvenience, maybe a city is not the best place for you.

Have all the fun you can handle but any person who thinks the city is gonna build a "world class skatepark" is smoking some potent weed.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 18:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
How do I put this nicely? No one gives a flying f*** about skateboarders. And yes, you are right, it's probably because they are annoying. All 20 of them.

Careful, no one have any fun with this guy around. Curmudgeon police alert. I've never seen someone get so angry and worked up about a skate park. If you panic about every potential minor inconvenience, maybe a city is not the best place for you.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 16:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
What's great is that Vigilante always seems to think that everyone gives a flying f*** about his opinions.
Obviously some people do care about skateboarders (along with other kids of the city).

Cities that invest in their youth attract residents that invest in their city.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 5:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/11/21 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

driverjase wrote:
[snip]
Most cities aren't overrun with young kids running around with their golf clubs hitting balls in front of businesses.

LOL!

Posted on: 2012/11/20 21:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
So should the city build one downtown and one in the Heights? I like golf so I would like a golf course downtown. How about Bacci and horseshoes and croquet and polo? We need a cricket grounds before most of those things. Good luck.

I'll be honest, I think when a city gets behind a skatepark it's more about focusing the energy of the skaters. Unfortunately skateboarders are seen as a nuisance to many companies and citizens because when there isn't a central area for them to skate, they'll skate everywhere.
I used to skate all the time, and in cities where there was a skatepark, the majority of skaters were there (when they weren't skating to/from there). In cities where there wasn't a skatepark, skaters would make do with any area to hang out and skate.

Most cities aren't overrun with young kids running around with their golf clubs hitting balls in front of businesses.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Philadelphia has made a major commitment to skateparks. The Franklin's Paine Skatepark Fund is at the center of it all. Here's their website:

http://franklinspaine.com/

Posted on: 2012/11/20 7:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
So should the city build one downtown and one in the Heights? I like golf so I would like a golf course downtown. How about Bacci and horseshoes and croquet and polo? We need a cricket grounds before most of those things. Good luck. Oh yeah, and we gotta rebuild much of the waterfront.

Posted on: 2012/11/18 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a little history of a 'guerrilla' skate park that some people built on the floor slab of a demolished factory:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/113688794/SK8-Chronicles

When the land was bought up, the slab was destroyed. But the developer hasn't gotten around to developing on the property. Probably got bit by the crash of 2008.

Anyhow, THAT's why the Enos Jones hockey rink got turned into a skate park. The skate boarders wanted to go somewhere, and that's where they went.

Posted on: 2012/11/18 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@user1111: Having a skate park IS a quality of life issue, one that impacts lots of young adults and families with kids more than 5 or 6 years old.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In case it's not obvious, this photo should clarify the location of the skate park in the previous three photos: IMG_2659 That's Christ Hospital in the background. I took those photos in Oct. and Nov. of 2006. The land was sold in 2007 and the developer busted up the concrete slab on which that park had been constructed. But the land remains undeveloped. The skaters moved to Enos Jones Park and took over the hockey rink.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Once upon a time at the edge of town... long view.jpg along the wall.jpg 10 80.jpg

Posted on: 2012/11/15 12:36

Re: Jersey City Needs a Skate Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Go to Hoboken or buy an old warehouse and build one. City doesn't have money to fulfill people's hobbies.

like a bball court or a park?

You can take the bbcourt down if you'd like. If we build a park specific to everyone's hobbies then we'd be pretty stupid. Besides you can actually skate in a park.

so the city can fulfill some people's hobbies, just not others

Exactly. Must I keep repeating it?

ah, so you admit your logic is inconsistent

No. I'm saying you cannot build parks to suit every silly hobby.

which is an entirely unfair and arbitrary policy because it means some hobbies get favors and others don't

Posted on: 2012/11/15 6:53

Re: Jersey City Needs a Skate Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Go to Hoboken or buy an old warehouse and build one. City doesn't have money to fulfill people's hobbies.

like a bball court or a park?

You can take the bbcourt down if you'd like. If we build a park specific to everyone's hobbies then we'd be pretty stupid. Besides you can actually skate in a park.

so the city can fulfill some people's hobbies, just not others

Exactly. Must I keep repeating it?

ah, so you admit your logic is inconsistent

No. I'm saying you cannot build parks to suit every silly hobby.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 5:20

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017