Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hamilton Park Area
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Sorry, but you'd have to start further east to make Newport shorter. Here's Bogarts route. 9th or 10th makes no difference, they both are just an extra block north. Photobucket

Posted on: 2011/8/2 15:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/18 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

My methodology was to import the map screencapture into a CAD program and scale it by using the known distance between blocks. Then I drew the lines showing the walks, and the program shows the lengths of the lines. Only place for error is the scaling, and even then the proportional distances are unchanged.

Fip: I don't recall the details of why I drew the map that way for the specific person's walk, but from the gazebo it's a wash between 9th & 8th since the station is on Pavonia. And you can't leave out the ramp in the wrong direction to the station.

fair enough, brewster. I didn't understand exactly what route I'm following once I take the Path elevator underground. but I do think the route Bogart mapped out is shorter, if you pick the Park Foundry starting point you both chose. from the gazebo it's almost a wash. but you chose 10th & Jersey as a starting point and that adds two blocks (one in each direction.) in any case, it's all semantics regarding the original poster's question.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 6:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I'm not sure Brewster's measurements are correct. I live at the same corner and have timed the walks and I find Newport is closer by about three minutes (not counting the extra time on the train) However, as fip suggests, I travel down 9th st, not 8th.

My methodology was to import the map screencapture into a CAD program and scale it by using the known distance between blocks. Then I drew the lines showing the walks, and the program shows the lengths of the lines. Only place for error is the scaling, and even then the proportional distances are unchanged.

Fip: I don't recall the details of why I drew the map that way for the specific person's walk, but from the gazebo it's a wash between 9th & 8th since the station is on Pavonia. And you can't leave out the ramp in the wrong direction to the station.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fip wrote:
splitting hairs but... the map shows an unnecessarily long route to newport. you can walk via 9th in a straight run thru the parking lot. and the end hook is extraneous. trim them both off and via newport is slightly shorter.

If only we could cut off the extraneous "hook." But the placement of the entrance to the station requires that you cross Washington and then double back underground to get to the platform. This really bugs me.

I'm not sure Brewster's measurements are correct. I live at the same corner and have timed the walks and I find Newport is closer by about three minutes (not counting the extra time on the train) However, as fip suggests, I travel down 9th st, not 8th.

Here's my route.

http://cl.ly/261u0Z2Y2I3M3V1B1C2O

Posted on: 2011/8/1 20:11
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
The major difference between the Hamilton and VVP neighborhoods is the amount of foot traffic - HP just doesn't have many unique stores that attract tons of folks from outside the neighborhood. HP seems a bit safer too - there aren't really any sketchy blocks like Wayne between Barrow and Jersey.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 18:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with what's been said above about the neighborhood. I've lived here for 6 years, and I love it.

I prefer Grove Street over Newport for a number of reasons, but especially because I feel like I'm home as soon as I get off the PATH.

I take Newport in the rain or extreme cold as was mentioned above, and when it's very late -- after midnight -- I get off at Grove and take a cab. The cabs are lined up outside the station.

By the way, I commute VERY early -- leaving at about 5:15 am, and my walk to the train is fine.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 9:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/18 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
splitting hairs but... the map shows an unnecessarily long route to newport. you can walk via 9th in a straight run thru the parking lot. and the end hook is extraneous. trim them both off and via newport is slightly shorter. but I tend to do grove for the same reasons others have noted, while appreciating the newport route when weather is bad. interesting that some folks hear the sound as screaming. I walk that north edge of the park and hear kids laughing.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 6:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on 7th and Jersey for three years. It was a really nice neighborhood. It was quiet at night, but not desolate, and very close to the park. It's a friendly neighborhood, with a nice mix of people. You don't have as many options for retail/restaurants as VVP, but that has changed a lot since I lived there, and will hopefully continue to.

It's really personal preference regarding which path stop to use. I usually went to newport, because the three minutes on the train between newport and grove felt like an eternity for some reason. I am a woman, and I walked home late at night several times and never had a problem. There is the police station on 8th St (I think?) that I would walk by if I was concerned. Or I would take a cab from Grove St.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 1:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/1 0:16
Group:
Registered Users
the neighborhood is now a lot of 3 year old kids, strollers, and dogs. after 9pm there is no one out. if this is what you are looking for it will be a great place for you. also the north side of the park has the playground with tons of kids screaming all weekend.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Don't leave out the fact that the Mall walk offers great benefits in inclimate weather. A nice respite from the blazing heat and vice versa in wintertime. It is also a Mall that has just about anything you may want. Hamilton Park is also bigger and better than VVP and isn't surrounded by crazy, busy roads. As far as crime? Yes, we have some just like the nicer parts of Brooklyn and NYC etc. Much better area for dog-owners too. If you want to live on Restaurant Row probably not your cup o'tea but it's a 5-10 minute walk from anything DTJC has to offer at the moment.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Great map, Brewster! I always wondered if it was actually any closer to cut through the mall to get to Newport from Hamilton Park. Interesting to see that it isn't.

Also, depending on where you live, you can also cut through Metro Plaza to stop at Bed Bath & Beyond (if there's time.)

Posted on: 2011/7/29 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
CSURugbyHooker wrote: While Grove St. is a bit further away, it takes the same amount of time to get there without having to jump through the hoops that is required of using Newport station. Plus, Grove St. PATH has quite a few benefits that Newport doesn't: 1. Ample places to lock up a bicycle 2. Direct access to WTC (only 2 stops away and no transfer required) 3. If you've had a bit too much to drink, you don't have to make the Bataan Death March up the walkway that leads from the platform to the exit at Newport. 4. Grove St always has foot traffic coming and going no matter the time of day and is in a much more transparent area if you're walking by yourself. 5. 24-Hour Dunkin Donuts right outside the station if you have the hungries. Basically, I only use Newport if the weather is inclimate.
You left out the fact that at Grove you get out into a real neighborhood where you can get dinner or a drink, pick up groceries for dinner at a farmers market, or a Korean or Spanish or Vietnamese grocer (sticky rice in lotus leaf, mmmm), or just stroll home through a real place rather than daily be reminded why you chose to live in HP rather than the sterile landscape of Newport. I just dug up this CAD analyzed map I did one of the many times this has come up. (but good luck finding it using the site's search engine) YMMV, but from the gazebo Grove is definitely closer, even leaving out the jogs you must make getting though the mall. Photobucket

Posted on: 2011/7/29 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I think you'll be fine.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
The area is nice and relatively safe compared to Jersey City at large, though like any city neighborhood, bad things do happen and you should keep your head & wits about you.

Exactly correct.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I often tell my female tenants they should take a cab from the PATH train should they be arriving home after dark. While it's generally safe, the $5.00 cab fare is cheap enough to ensure your safety.

In terms of distance to the PATH stations, I walk to Grove St in the morning, when coming home I get off at Newport.

They are pretty much the same distance. I get on at Grove St in the am because sometimes the train is so crowded by the time it gets to Newport it's hard to squeeze into a car. But if you get on at Grove not only is it easier to get on, sometimes the person sitting in front of you gets off at Newport and then you even get a seat. LOL.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 0:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/12 21:25
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stupidseven wrote:
Only thing you have to worry about in the Hamilton Park area are strollers and dog sh!t. Other then that the area is nice.

And the people that drive up and down Jersey Ave like its the autobahn because they're too stupid to realize that even though it's a main street, it's still in a very residential part of the city.

Outside of these three things, the area is great. I moved here from outside the state a bit over four months ago and often make the trek to/from Manhattan late night. I've lived in suburbs where I've felt more unsafe than I do here. My girlfriend has walked alone late night and has never encountered a problem or felt remotely unsafe. Just like any place you'd live, never let your guard down and always be alert of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

As far as the PATH goes, the debate between Grove St. and Newport is one I often contend with. Distancewise, Newport is closer to the area than Grove St. is, BUT in order to access Newport, you have to cross Marin Ave, walk through a parking garage, then navigate through a mall, cross two main streets, and then once inside the station, make a small trek to the PATH platforms. While Grove St. is a bit further away, it takes the same amount of time to get there without having to jump through the hoops that is required of using Newport station. Plus, Grove St. PATH has quite a few benefits that Newport doesn't:
1. Ample places to lock up a bicycle
2. Direct access to WTC (only 2 stops away and no transfer required)
3. If you've had a bit too much to drink, you don't have to make the Bataan Death March up the walkway that leads from the platform to the exit at Newport.
4. Grove St always has foot traffic coming and going no matter the time of day and is in a much more transparent area if you're walking by yourself.
5. 24-Hour Dunkin Donuts right outside the station if you have the hungries.
Basically, I only use Newport if the weather is inclimate.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 23:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/8 14:56
Group:
Banned
ny makes more sense...so move there.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 17:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
Only thing you have to worry about in the Hamilton Park area are strollers and dog sh!t. Other then that the area is nice.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
The area is nice and relatively safe compared to Jersey City at large, though like any city neighborhood, bad things do happen and you should keep your head & wits about you.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 16:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/1 20:58
Group:
Registered Users
Newport will make more sense, though crossing Marin is a pain sometimes .... but if you walk to Grove, the train will then go to Newport, adding a couple of extra mins to your commute ...

Posted on: 2011/7/28 15:45

Hamilton Park Area

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/30 17:50
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking at a few apartments and was wondering what everyone's opinion of this place was. I'm mostly concerned with late nights coming back from Manhattan. I've walked around during the day and it seems like a very quiet neighborhood. I'm just wondering how the streets are at night. Also, is it closer to take the Grove street path or Newport path?

I'm looking between 6th and 8th on jersey ave.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 15:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017