Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Grove Street Plaza-nonsense & noise vs community reward
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/3 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Did it not stand to reason that those "middle-aged women with hula-hoops" might also be part of JC List? And not be the least bit pleased by such a categorization? (I see you apologized for being ageist. I can't see it as sexist, since we are women hooping, but ageist----OUCH!)

Posted on: 2011/9/20 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Haizum wrote:
It's such a shame that such a great location is wasted on people who are just incapable of enjoying it. I'm not going to be the guy who suggests that you move to the suburbs, but may I suggest a quieter neighborhood or perhaps Hoboken. Yeah I think Hoboken is right up your boulevard. I hear Eli Manning lives there. Yawn.

I will be. Move to the suburbs if you want it quiet. Dead quiet. Because that's where people go to wither and die, in quiet.

So this is where you are going to wither and die? In Jersey City? That is sadder than any withering in any suburb. I mean, this isn't even a real city. It is more like a big, nasty village sucking at NYC's teat. And I assume that you are going to remain single for the rest of your life, because raising children in this place should be classified as child abuse. No, I'm sure you will move on to a real city, such as NY and raise your family on Park Avenue and have your kids attend the best private schools. Right. You got beat up a lot by suburban kids, didn't you? Yes, you did. Friggin' poseur.

False fella. JC only sucks the teat according to all you transplants from Chatham or Madison where ever it is you all came from. We all were fine living in our half ass city before all you "saviors" got here. Why exactly are you here if you have such a problem with it? There's five boros to choose from you know.

Didnt mean to single out any of you folks from Madison or Chatham either, just the frist that came to mind when I think rich people burbs. But seriously go to Hoboken instead

Posted on: 2011/9/15 14:54

Re: All quiet on the downtown front? As JC becomes more of a destination, some residents complain
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/31 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
C-

Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
And this is how a thread ends

Posted on: 2011/9/15 13:35

Re: All quiet on the downtown front? As JC becomes more of a destination, some residents complain
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
And this is how a thread ends

Posted on: 2011/9/15 13:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm starting to get it. This is fun. It's kinda like playing 'Yo Mama'...

My favorite posts are along the lines of 'why do you want to make this crummy city better.' They own up to the dismal state of affairs and declare 'I like it like this!' The posts that just say 'move to the suburbs' aren't generally as clever, but they do punctuate the repartee. My least favorite are 'why don't you like our feeble efforts? we're so well meaning, and you're just mean.' Check that... my least favorite posts are my own. Not pithy enough and don't possess enough schoolyard brio. The whiny do-goers with no standards or ability to be self-critical at least embrace their point of view.... I'll try to do better.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Haizum wrote:
It's such a shame that such a great location is wasted on people who are just incapable of enjoying it. I'm not going to be the guy who suggests that you move to the suburbs, but may I suggest a quieter neighborhood or perhaps Hoboken. Yeah I think Hoboken is right up your boulevard. I hear Eli Manning lives there. Yawn.

I will be. Move to the suburbs if you want it quiet. Dead quiet. Because that's where people go to wither and die, in quiet.

So this is where you are going to wither and die? In Jersey City? That is sadder than any withering in any suburb. I mean, this isn't even a real city. It is more like a big, nasty village sucking at NYC's teat. And I assume that you are going to remain single for the rest of your life, because raising children in this place should be classified as child abuse. No, I'm sure you will move on to a real city, such as NY and raise your family on Park Avenue and have your kids attend the best private schools. Right. You got beat up a lot by suburban kids, didn't you? Yes, you did. Friggin' poseur.

False fella. JC only sucks the teat according to all you transplants from Chatham or Madison where ever it is you all came from. We all were fine living in our half ass city before all you "saviors" got here. Why exactly are you here if you have such a problem with it? There's five boros to choose from you know.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Haizum wrote:

Posted on: 2011/9/15 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Haizum wrote:

Posted on: 2011/9/14 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I've heard that some in favor of the weekly Friday night events have attempted to 'open a dialogue' with those that aren't so keen on the activities. But that isn't apparent in this thread. Banish me to the suburbs, call me unsympathetic to those throwing-up their creative expressions, but I really wonder: is this the best you can do? (Prizes to whomever challenges me to do better first.)

I believe the dialogue has mostly been through the circulating of the "Save JC Music" petition as well as encouraging people to attend city council meetings. If you have suggestions for this event specifically, the woman to talk to is Uta Brauser - she is hard to miss, look for the woman with pink hair usually wearing giant platform boots.

Out of curiosity, what do you think could be done better? What about groove on grove seems "more organized" to you than creative grove? I know CG has more vendors (so the tent layout is a bit more crowded) and the aforementioned "shabby furniture" but otherwise I don't see a huge difference in how well the events are run.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 20:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to apologize for my comment about the middle-aged ladies hula-hooping. It has been pointed out to me that by describing the activity in such as manner it could have been interpreted as both ageist and sexist. I should have simply said 'hula-hoopers' or 'people hula-hooping.' However, I will not apologize for characterizing the furniture as shabby, since that is my opinion and the furniture has no feelings to hurt.

My initial question still stands. Is the issue really just noise? Or, are other factors in play with regard to the complaints about the activities in the plaza.

Personally, I'm in favor of the farmer's market and the Groove on Grove events. They seem well-organized and serve the community.

I've heard that some in favor of the weekly Friday night events have attempted to 'open a dialogue' with those that aren't so keen on the activities. But that isn't apparent in this thread. Banish me to the suburbs, call me unsympathetic to those throwing-up their creative expressions, but I really wonder: is this the best you can do? (Prizes to whomever challenges me to do better first.)

Posted on: 2011/9/14 18:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/9/14 15:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You've won me over. Next Friday I'll spend more time with the hula-hoop ladies and lounge for a bit. (I'll be careful for those bed bugs, thanks for the heads-up.) Even though it looks like a dump, I haven't really given it a chance. It might be fun!

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

ReallyReally wrote:
Thanks, please join me in relaxing. I wasn't referring to the quarterly event. I was referring to the weekly Friday night event with the beat-up furniture and middle-aged women with hula-hoops.

So, which one of the bolded is ridiculous and which one is out of control? I vote 'out of control' for hula hoops (someone could lose an eye) and 'ridiculous' that public use furniture is not pristine (diseases! bed bugs! oh my!).

Posted on: 2011/9/13 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ReallyReally wrote:
Thanks, please join me in relaxing. I wasn't referring to the quarterly event. I was referring to the weekly Friday night event with the beat-up furniture and middle-aged women with hula-hoops.

So, which one of the bolded is ridiculous and which one is out of control? I vote 'out of control' for hula hoops (someone could lose an eye) and 'ridiculous' that public use furniture is not pristine (diseases! bed bugs! oh my!).

Posted on: 2011/9/13 16:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Maybe you should ReallyReally relax.

JC Fridays is a quarterly event held four times a year, on the first Friday of every season (March, June, September, December)

Posted on: 2011/9/13 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Re: fight over music at grove path:

Supporters: 700+, Complainers: 2

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... say-they-stand-with-them/

"However, the Friday night 'art' thing seems a bit ridiculous and out of control."

First of all, why the dismissive quotes around art? Second, the vast majority of JC Fridays events are small, low key gallery shows, acoustic performances at cafes, etc. The music at Grove only runs until 9 or 10 which is incredibly reasonable for a Friday night. Maybe you should check out some "ridiculous" and "out of control" events yourself before writing them off, you might just have some fun, god forbid.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I love all the activity (noise, commerce, etc) around Grove Street Plaza. It beats the nothingness that some prefer.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe you should ReallyReally relax.

JC Fridays is a quarterly event held four times a year, on the first Friday of every season (March, June, September, December)

Posted on: 2011/9/13 14:41

Grove Street Plaza-nonsense & noise vs community reward
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't seen any discussion regarding the issues that have cropped up at Grove Street Plaza. Apparently some say noise is an issue, but is that really the only objection?

The bands had been playing for a while before this even came up. They always seemed well organized and professional. The farmers market seems like a real benefit too. However, the Friday night 'art' thing seems a bit ridiculous and out of control.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 14:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/18 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
when I moved into Hamilton Park Foundry, the sign across the street said: coming soon - Hamilton Inn. I knew there would be noise (and it turns out light polution) going in. on nice evenings when I opened the window (and they opened their doors) it was pretty noisy on DJ nights. not always what I felt like listening to. but so what. I turned my music up a little louder. it's a great addition to the neighborhood. I moved to JC from the quiet suburbs. if I wanted quiet, I could have stayed there. the only noise I was happy to leave behind when I moved a few blocks south of HPF was late night semi's jack braking down the ramp to the tunnel.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
The main difference between JC and NYC is that NYC has a constant background noise of cabs, people, etc. JC is basically very quiet with the occasional bit of noise. As a result that noise seems much louder and more annoying here versus NYC.

that's not true at all. there's so many quiet neighborhoods in manhattan. even when i lived in midtown off 41st street in tudor city you wouldn't hear any street noise the entire day. granted it was a dead end street but to say there is always constant background noise in nyc is misleading.

but anyway, jersey city like most cities is filled with apartment buildings and row homes. if you got thousands of people stacked on top of each other working and going out different times of the day you're going to hear something.

you shouldn't move here expecting that everyone around you is on the same sleep schedule as you. the people complaining seem to not care about having a lively, upbeat, and friendly community. it makes me happy to see everyone hanging out at groove on grove enjoying the environment they live in. who cares if someone above needs to turn up their tv because of it.

+1

You can't please everyone all the time. Groove on Grove is great for downtown. The woman complaining in the article was trying to sleep during the day time.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
The main difference between JC and NYC is that NYC has a constant background noise of cabs, people, etc. JC is basically very quiet with the occasional bit of noise. As a result that noise seems much louder and more annoying here versus NYC.

that's not true at all. there's so many quiet neighborhoods in manhattan. even when i lived in midtown off 41st street in tudor city you wouldn't hear any street noise the entire day. granted it was a dead end street but to say there is always constant background noise in nyc is misleading.

but anyway, jersey city like most cities is filled with apartment buildings and row homes. if you got thousands of people stacked on top of each other working and going out different times of the day you're going to hear something.

you shouldn't move here expecting that everyone around you is on the same sleep schedule as you. the people complaining seem to not care about having a lively, upbeat, and friendly community. it makes me happy to see everyone hanging out at groove on grove enjoying the environment they live in. who cares if someone above needs to turn up their tv because of it.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/6/30 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:

The only people I've ever had sympathy for noise-wise are the people who bought apartments in the building that eventually housed Zeppelin Hall, sounds like they got screwed pretty badly.

Those people are renters, and you don't have to feel bad for them they get a discount on beer.

The first set of renters who moved in before the beer garden opened also were able to cancel their leases.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:

The only people I've ever had sympathy for noise-wise are the people who bought apartments in the building that eventually housed Zeppelin Hall, sounds like they got screwed pretty badly.

Those people are renters, and you don't have to feel bad for them they get a discount on beer.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 20:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
The cicadas in the suburbs are louder than it is on any given night over here on 5th St. Jersey City is actually one of the quietest urban environments I've ever been in, it can be eerily quiet most weekends. The woman complaining about noise at Newport must work as a sonar device during the day, that area is depressingly quiet.

The only people I've ever had sympathy for noise-wise are the people who bought apartments in the building that eventually housed Zeppelin Hall, sounds like they got screwed pretty badly. Otherwise other than some few and far between loud drunk assholes (which will never go away in a predominantly walking city) and weekly summertime concerts that end at 9PM I don't see the problem.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
This wouldn't be nearly such a problem if the developers of Grove Pointe had simply installed better windows and insulation.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
?I live over in Newport Towers and I think it?s a little loud on the street, especially on the weekends,? said resident Saresh Choudhury. ?Many times I have to turn my TV up louder so I can watch a movie or something. It?s gotten louder since I moved here [seven years ago].?

Geesh Saresh did you come by way of the Marrakesh Express. Actually where did you come from that you would complain about our lovely community here in J.C.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to JC weird loud music loving hipsters, please continue to move in with your weird loud music loving selves and help make the degenerates move out and increase my property value. Thank you. Turn it up!!

Posted on: 2011/6/29 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I love when people say things like "I like to walk down the street and hear noise" or "I DJ at Grove but live in the heights". Yes, noise is wonderful in OTHER people's neighborhoods. We understand it's part of your own perception of what a "city" should be like. (It brings to mind those people who pine for the "old Times Square". The one where drug addicts and hookers fulfilled a vision of the city you saw in newsreels and Hollywood movies. The image that never once gave you pause that you might be revelling in others people's misery.) It's easy to crap in front of other people's homes but you wouldn't love it so much if it was happening to you. Let's say the noise right smack in front of your home was maybe 6 hours a day for 5 days a week. You wouldn't like it so much then. It's easy to go to a bar, get drunk, scream and yell and then trundle off home. If it were happening in front of your home it wouldn't seem so cozy. BTW? You ain't getting any younger and when you actually own something and actually care about it you won't be so quick to roll out the red carpet for loud and disrespectful people.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 0:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/3 3:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I dj for creative grove and the peopel that complain never want to work with us. Ironically, I live in the Heights, a resedtial zone and Noize is allowed till 11pm, with out a permit. Both Grove on Grove and Creative Grove end at no later then 9pm and have the permits for the events. With the excepton JCFridays then it is 11pm. If you want to live in the center of it all then you must learn to deal, like are fellow New Yorkers have across the way. I believe it is called City livin for a reason. All this events are great for the community and the economy.

Posted on: 2011/6/28 18:08

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017