Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Dames Coffee - Jersey Ave betw 3rd & 4th
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/24 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
I still think their coffee is amazing--best cappuccino I've had anywhere, and their iced coffee is refreshingly delicious. Milk is to die for.
Now, if they could just have a more reliably good pastry case...

(Overall, I'm a big fan.)

Posted on: 2012/8/13 19:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 23:25
Group:
Registered Users
i've been there once or twice, coffee was good. cold brewed! i hear they also do dinners, my friend mentioned a raw or vegan dinner- anyone have any info? can't find it on their site. also hear they have a lasagna night.

Posted on: 2012/8/12 23:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/16 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
What's happened to this place? Has anyone else noticed that lately, the coffee is really weak? I am going to have to stop going there, as it's really undrinkable - both the hot and iced coffee has been really weak the past few times I've been there.

Posted on: 2012/8/12 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
No wonder why people are getting discourged going to a coffe shop that is hardly opened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/din ... e-convenience-costly.html

?Americans under the age of 40 are thinking about coffee pricing in cups,? said Ric Rhinehart, executive director of the Specialty Coffee Association of America. ?If you asked my mother how much coffee cost, she would have told you that the red can was $5.25 a pound and the blue can was $4.25. If you ask people in their 20s and 30s, they?ll say coffee is $1.75 to $3.75 a cup.?

Posted on: 2012/2/9 14:21
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Tried to get a coffee the other night at quarter to the hour (7, I think), first to be pleasantly surprised their listed hours on the door were to the hour, but then frustrated that they had obviously closed up 15 minutes before I got there and certainly had no coffee left.

Posted on: 2012/1/25 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Open on weekend and yesterday and not today (wednesday). Soft opening at this coffee house you say? It's hard to train customers when the hours you post aren't the hours you are open. Back to making our french press and staying at home to drink it!

Also, it has nothing to do with being a coffee snob as one poster alluded to with several of us, that's ridiculous - it has to do with a business who counts on customers being open at the hours they post. It's a business model that can work in the owners favor. Post hours, be open those hours posted.

Posted on: 2012/1/25 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

They haven't even promoted the J.C. location on their website, no phone number or address for Jersey Ave.

I agree. I find this troubling considering they have been open for quite some time and still seem to be in soft-opening mode. The place is very bare, after 12:00 you can only get custom coffee drinks because there isn't enough business for regular brewed coffee? This location seems like a test, or a hobby store to me. If you opened a second location, why wouldn't you promo it on your website and other places?

Posted on: 2011/12/21 18:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/31 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
What's with the directives on how to express opinions and to whom?

Posted on: 2011/12/21 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fauxboken wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Coffee at Dames is more expensive than most and is prepared in a semi gourmet fashion, so it's implicitly holding itself out as a place for the "coffee snob". Expecting a coffee shop to be open by 7 is not unusual, especially since so many people in the area commute to work to the city and have to be at their desks by 8 or 9. That's when a coffee shop is most likely to get most of their business. If the owner isn't monitoring his or her business closely enough to know they are not operating during prime hours then that's her problem. It should be the most fundamental concern of any business owner. Again, I hope they succeed.

Quote:

fauxboken wrote:

If you did not address your pointed, uncompromising, and time sensitive coffee-snob critiques directly to the proprietress, then I suspect she is still not aware of them.

Phooey on her, though, for not living up to your standards for small businesses in your community.

I have no problem either with your expectation or the common-sense about opening early. Or your taste for good coffee.

If you cannot lighten up, then politely express your concerns to the owner. She may well have a reasoned decision - or understandable reasons, anyway - for not opening both her Hoboken and Jersey City stores early.

They haven't even promoted the J.C. location on their website, no phone number or address for Jersey Ave.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 1:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 3:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Coffee at Dames is more expensive than most and is prepared in a semi gourmet fashion, so it's implicitly holding itself out as a place for the "coffee snob". Expecting a coffee shop to be open by 7 is not unusual, especially since so many people in the area commute to work to the city and have to be at their desks by 8 or 9. That's when a coffee shop is most likely to get most of their business. If the owner isn't monitoring his or her business closely enough to know they are not operating during prime hours then that's her problem. It should be the most fundamental concern of any business owner. Again, I hope they succeed.

Quote:

fauxboken wrote:

If you did not address your pointed, uncompromising, and time sensitive coffee-snob critiques directly to the proprietress, then I suspect she is still not aware of them.

Phooey on her, though, for not living up to your standards for small businesses in your community.

I have no problem either with your expectation or the common-sense about opening early. Or your taste for good coffee.

If you cannot lighten up, then politely express your concerns to the owner. She may well have a reasoned decision - or understandable reasons, anyway - for not opening both her Hoboken and Jersey City stores early.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

fauxboken wrote:

Posted on: 2011/12/19 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
my only experience with this place is going in and asking if they take credit or debit, the girl says that they don't, which isnt the end of the world but then we say we'll take out money and be right back and she sarcastically says "yeah sure." had all intentions of coming back until that comment.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In my experience Basic is always open during it's advertised hours. During the week they are open by 7 am and an employee is in there well before preparing for the day.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Any small coffee shop could do really well around here since no one seems to want to wake up early to open their doors for business.

This is the first sign that a place of such behavior is about to go out of business. It has happened before, the enthusiasm fades, stock diminishes, business hours vary, and the staff takes it with a grain of salt with no remorse from either them or the absentee owner. A good example of a business that is trying to strive is Grove Street Bicycles they are open on time every day, have even extended their hours, and pop up on jclist on occasion to advertise special deals. It's like pulling teeth to get them to do what is expected. Perhaps that is why they are working there and not in a more substantial job. I am going to make a copy of this thread and mail it to Dames maybe they will get the message or they will just grin and bear it, let's see.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think this has anything to do with "coffee snobbery." If ANY business is not open during the hours they advertise to be open, sooner or later, they will fail. It would seem to me that the recipe for success in this town for a coffee shop would be to have consistent early morning hours. With the exception of Starbucks, there really is no other place that is open. Any small coffee shop could do really well around here since no one seems to want to wake up early to open their doors for business.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 12:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 3:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I have suffered that same disappointment from Dames when they first opened and expressed my frustration.

Have you politely expressed your frustration and disappointment to the owners or manager at Dames? Or did you just vent here on JCList and/or Yelp, where the owner is not available to explain or mitigate your grievance?

However, if the owner met you and found your concerns to be without merit, that might be an indication that their business model is not meant to reflect your schedule. Or, it may reflect that they know how to politely accept, and then dismiss, unsolicited advice from coffee-snob early birds.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have suffered that same disappointment from Dames when they first opened and expressed my frustration. The morning coffee routine is very time sensitive for most people because we're typically off to work and don't have too much time to make up for lost time.

I have been to Dames once and can say their coffee is very good and the place looks great. However, the woman behind the counter got overwhelmed when the line built up to 4 people. There was some other dude sitting at a table who smiled and waived at her as she seemed flustered and then ultimately got up to help her. I'm not sure whether he worked there or was just a friend helping out.

Running a small business is a lot of hard work and takes up a lot of time. Consistently, I've noticed the local hired help typically under performs with the exception of that thin bartender waiter guy over at White Star. That poor performance falls on the owner of the business.

If the owner of Dames is balancing her/his time between two locations (JC and Hoboken) he or she is going to suffer a loss here if she can't be on location all the time. I do genuinely hope they do well. I would hate to see anyone lose their investment or just fail. Also, it's nice having a successful and great coffee shop in the area. Still it's always frustrating when these businesses disappoint us.

Posted on: 2011/12/15 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Few things need to happen when you have a coffee shop. Open at the times your hours say you are open and serve good coffee. Today I walked past Starbucks after the gym and saved my purchase for Dames, walked past bodega and saved my purchase of cream for home made coffee for Dames, walked past Dames and they were CLOSED at 7:30 am AGAIN. Walked home full on pout and will save my coffee for the drive to work, news flash, won't be a Dames coffee. Please guys! It's a small thing. We love your coffee. Be open when your hours say you'll be open and you'll keep your customers.

Posted on: 2011/12/15 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
After biking down to Dames this morning at 7:30 I was able to walk right in, no surprise they were open ! At least with the bike there are other options in the area. It was pleasant without the hustle and bustle rush. The place did not have any sit down business other than myself. I'd say about 12 customers popped in for take out at one point there was a small line. So it seems there was a positive flow of revenue to justify their 7am opening.

Posted on: 2011/12/9 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a very loyal customer with a routine in the morning before I head off to work. If I don't make coffee at home before work, I'll get out of my pajamas early and head to Dames to buy it there. When they aren't open at their regular time I'm walking back home coffee-less. It's a small thing, but it's a business and I'd hope they be consistent as every coffee bought matters when you're, well, a coffee shop. I love this place. I love consistency more. If I don't know if I'm getting my coffee at the other end of my walk, I'll stay in my pajamas at home for another 15 minutes.

Posted on: 2011/12/9 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
This place makes really excellent coffee, but their flakiness about opening can be a little frustrating. Coffee places, of literally any kind of shop, should open in the morning.

I bet if it were a Starbucks it would be percise in opening, like a well oiled machine. I prefer "supporting" a mom & pop business but yes their flakiness can convey an ineptness about them.

Posted on: 2011/12/9 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
This place makes really excellent coffee, but their flakiness about opening can be a little frustrating. Coffee places, of literally any kind of shop, should open in the morning.

Posted on: 2011/12/9 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I disagree - I am in there 3 times a week, if not more and there are rarely tables open and usually at least one
customer waiting.

They were open today at 2. They should have def put a sign explaining the schedule shift....but they are still
100x better than Stockinette. I'll forgive em this time.

Posted on: 2011/12/9 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Walked by at 10 am and still closed.
Hopefully it is just for today. The place never seems to get a large crowd.

Posted on: 2011/12/8 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Walked by at 10 am and still closed.

Posted on: 2011/12/8 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Went this AM at 7:30, closed. Walked there again at 8:30, closed. Argh. Cold morning to walk there twice, guess I really needed my Dames Coffee. Any idea as to why they are closed and if this is permanent?

Are they usually consistant meaning always open and is this closure a one time thing ? It seems these coffee places never open up on time or have all of their deliveries in stock for the morning rush. The Warehouse down on BAY & Provost sometimes opens minutes later then it should. And the Dunkin Donuts never opens at 6am usually it's 6:10 and the ladies just wave as if you are too early.

Posted on: 2011/12/8 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Went this AM at 7:30, closed. Walked there again at 8:30, closed. Argh. Cold morning to walk there twice, guess I really needed my Dames Coffee. Any idea as to why they are closed and if this is permanent?

Posted on: 2011/12/8 13:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say I love this place. At first, I also thought it was a tad pricey but the reality is, it's a darn fine cup of coffee/latte. And, the temperature is perfect. Hot but you can drink it right away. I can't tell you how many times I've burned the roof of my mouth just trying to drink a latte.

I'm a very happy, repeat customer there. (And the almond croissants are delicious too.)

Christine

Posted on: 2011/11/18 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, they have free wifi.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
anyone know if they have free wifi? I'm looking for a non-starbucks place to hang out and get some work done, but I need internet.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 16:05

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017