Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Let's get City Hall to change the daily street "cleaning" sched
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
Good luck with that. They are clueless about what to clean or not.
Sweeper never cleans Morgan Street between Marin and Warren?
Go figure.......

You can also park all day & night on north side of Morgan street
because there are no signs so ticket cart doesn't even look except if you are near the corner. Trump residents & commuters park there all the time.

There is no scheduled street cleaning in most of Zone 4 (Morgan Street included) nor any signs stating such. A No Parking sign will hopefully go up soon for the north side of Morgan because the road is not wide enough for two-way traffic.

This free-for-all parking has got to stop (parking wherever you won't get a ticket today). Parking/street cleaning reform is coming to the PAD soon.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 17:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Good luck with that. They are clueless about what to clean or not.
Sweeper never cleans Morgan Street between Marin and Warren?
Go figure.......

You can also park all day & night on north side of Morgan street
because there are no signs so ticket cart doesn't even look except if you are near the corner. Trump residents & commuters park there all the time.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 18:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 3:21
Group:
Registered Users
And then there is the west side of Dudley Street which in my six years of living here has never been cleaned. For those of you who park on the street, you can't get ticketed there because there are no signs. Just sayin.......

Posted on: 2011/6/14 13:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
I get in theory things would be worse, but in Paulus Hook - some of the streets are only cleaned one day a week while others are cleaned two days a week. To me, there is no noticeable difference between the ones that are one day a week and two days a week.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 19:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackp wrote:
This hits all my hot buttons about Jersey City.

First, we need to start a "DONT TRASH JERSEY CITY" campaign. Many parts of this town are an absolute disgrace, looking like a 3rd world country. I am from the west where littering is not socially acceptable. We need a program in JC in schools, churches, and community centers to let people know its not cool, and disrespects all of us.

THe City needs to enforce the program with tickets and fines, and of course, it would help to see alot more foot and bike patrols by the JCPD.

Permanent signs and banners should be put up around town, in multiple languages, and should also mention that violaters will be fined.

Street cleaning staff positions could be reassigned to street patrols, as it doesnt do much good to clean the streets when the sidewalks are filthy.

One way too encourage neighborhood efforts would be to allow an area to opt out of 4 day a week street sweeping once they met a cleanliness criteria in their area, which is being trialed in NYC.

Cleaning up JC should not be an impossible task...

We need hefty fines for people who litter, period!!!
In Thailand (I think ) you get public lashing for littering, and forget graffiti..

Posted on: 2011/6/12 20:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I rather have the street cleaned as much as it is, then to have it look like some other areas of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2011/6/12 20:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
High-Tech Bamboo Street Sweeper

This thing might help! The Chinese are really light years ahead of us.

Posted on: 2011/6/10 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
This hits all my hot buttons about Jersey City.

First, we need to start a "DONT TRASH JERSEY CITY" campaign. Many parts of this town are an absolute disgrace, looking like a 3rd world country. I am from the west where littering is not socially acceptable. We need a program in JC in schools, churches, and community centers to let people know its not cool, and disrespects all of us.

THe City needs to enforce the program with tickets and fines, and of course, it would help to see alot more foot and bike patrols by the JCPD.

Permanent signs and banners should be put up around town, in multiple languages, and should also mention that violaters will be fined.

Street cleaning staff positions could be reassigned to street patrols, as it doesnt do much good to clean the streets when the sidewalks are filthy.

One way too encourage neighborhood efforts would be to allow an area to opt out of 4 day a week street sweeping once they met a cleanliness criteria in their area, which is being trialed in NYC.

Cleaning up JC should not be an impossible task...

Posted on: 2011/6/10 15:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/10 17:24
From Chilltown & West Village
Group:
Registered Users
Hmm, thanks for the input folks... Basically, it's a stalemate.

We can go around about the pro's & con's but it looks like a pointless discussion. *shrug* The status quo never killed anyone in Chilltown, that's for sure.... have a good weekend y'all.

Posted on: 2011/6/10 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
The frequency of street cleaning doesn't bother me. In fact I think it's not terrible to force people to move their cars every 3 days.....

The suggestion that this is a strain on the budget is probably wrong. The reason this is probably wrong is that a LOT of cars are ticketed. In fact I venture to guess that the motivation behind 2x/weekly cleaning is to get 2x parking tickets.

What I would support is a change in the vehicle that is used to clean the streets - to one that actually DOES something. I mean the ones they are using hardly even move a piece of trash much less sweep it up. That is my gripe, not the 2x weekly schedule. But, I'm quite certain that the City isn't about to/can't make that kind of investment.....

Posted on: 2011/6/10 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/6/10 5:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to see stree cleaning only once a week, but the city makes too much money ticketing people, they'll never go for it.

Posted on: 2011/6/10 4:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
here's my internet utopia idea; clean the streets once a week, but actually clean them! The current method of running that Zamboni looking machine just stirs up the dust.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Zone 4? Where is that?

Posted on: 2011/6/9 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
There is barely any street cleaning in Zone 4; the trash, broken glass and dirt resting along the curb does accumulate.
Having neighborhood clean ups twice a year has helped a lot, but regular street cleaning would be welcome in the area.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
My wife and I both own cars, and neither of us use them to commute to work, so they basically just sit out there...

..that said, I should be in favor of your idea

..However, I'm not. It's probably a good thing that people such as I need to move their car every day, otherwise they would just sit there for days.

I 100% agree that street cleaning is a scam, and those cleaners just move the garbage from the side to the middle, but it is good for the purpose of ticketing those that are too lazy or stupid to move their cars when they are supposed to.

It also screws those who just use the area to park and to commute to work via PATH. I love it when I see non-permit cars or out of state plate cars with tickets on them.

Unless they were to actually enforce the permit parking, and extend the hours of permit parking to at least 7 or 8pm, this is a decent control to prevent people from leaving their cars on our street and taking up spots in the early hours of the morning.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
i think the frequency of street cleaning is a positive thing. a lot of car owners who rarely or never use their cars are more likely to decide to not own vehicle so they don't have the hassle of moving it. you don't have people just ditching their cars and leaving it downtown. street cleaning once a week would make parking a bigger problem... as of right now it's not that bad. i'd hate to have a hoboken situation in JC.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/6/9 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
While I agree for the most part, this will never change. As it is, it is only 4 days a week, with Wednesday Free. That means that a single side of the street is "cleaned" every 3rd day. What do you suggest? Once a week? The powers that be will never let that happen. It's more for ticketing cars than actual street cleaning. Your energy might be better focused fighting something that has an actual chance of changing.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 18:39

Let's get City Hall to change the daily street "cleaning" sched

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/10 17:24
From Chilltown & West Village
Group:
Registered Users
In the downtown area every other day is more than adequate... everyone says so but it never changes..

What say you JCers, can we get this changed? Being a (young) old timer here it's bugged me for awhile but with JC budget issues being extra critical and the fact now we have a semi-responcible gov that notices things, maybe we can finally get them to see sense and fine tune these smaller issues, start working for 'us' the people for once. Only good things will come from it.

1) No one needs their street cleaned so often and the stupid things don't actually clean it anyway... merely push it around for the most part.

2) It's an added cost to the already strained city budget and increases wear & tear on the cleaners. Totally unnecessary service on a daily basis.

3) Car owners and visitors have to play the roulette parking game often get ticketed in the process if they don't move it fast enough.... There's other ways to increase revenue when dealing with cars and motorcycles. Such as increasing downtown parking permits from $15 annual (a gift!) to $100 for instance and ticketing speeders, polluting dollar buses, noise makers- loud bikes, audio blasters, et c.

How do we start this process technically speaking, how many names do we actually need to get this noticed by elected officials?

Posted on: 2011/6/9 18:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017