Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Van Vorst v. Hamilton Park?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
why not get the "best of both worlds," in the middle, Harsimus Cove, tree lined residential streets roughly bounded by Newark, Marin, 6th and Monmouth. easy walk to both parks, Grove St. Path, and buses to most areas of the city from there. also home of one of the city's more dynamic neighborhood associations - http://harsimuscove.org/

Posted on: 2012/1/16 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
It's great to be right on the park but do yourself a favor and make sure the apartment isn't right across from the children's playground or the basketball court. Those areas are pretty quiet during the winter but they can be the source of considerable noise during the warmer weather.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

karenelsa wrote:
Appreciate The feedback. There are pluses and minuses to both, that goes for the two apartments as well. Tough decision. What is particularly shady on Wayne bw jersey and barrow? It looked okay to me the other day? I'm leaning towards HP even though the apt is not renovated because it is right on the park.

That block on Wayne has improved much over the years. There's a playground there that can be a hangout for drug dealers at night. The playground is also adjacent to some Section 8 tenements, and sometimes you get quality-of-life issues like noise and litter, especially in summer. Things have calmed down noticeably with the recent completion of the new condos on Wayne & Barrow. I lived on Wayne for nearly 10 years, and never once had an issue walking down that street, not even late at night (I'm a woman). I just made a point to be alert and to walk on the south, rather than north, side of the street. Because the issues of that particular block of Wayne are well known, there's also a pretty active neighborhood watch. You can't really go wrong with either neighborhood. I will say one thing about the walk to the Path: in really bad winter weather, you'll appreciate the shorter walk to the station from the Wayne St. place! Also, HP isn't immune to muggings and purse snatchings - and, if JC List is to be believed - out-of-control dog poop and dog leash issues.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 14:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/29 13:55
Group:
Registered Users
Appreciate The feedback. There are pluses and minuses to both, that goes for the two apartments as well. Tough decision. What is particularly shady on Wayne bw jersey and barrow? It looked okay to me the other day? I'm leaning towards HP even though the apt is not renovated because it is right on the park.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
WAYNE b/t Jersey and Varick is a nice block. VVP isn't as great if you have young kids, but the walk to PATH is much quicker than the one from HP area. VVP definitely has more characters around, but if you use common sense you will be fine. HP has done a very good job marketing to families and does seem to be attracting high end retail.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
I second Cilento's remarks.
Plus you should keep in mind that Hamilton Park is served by the enormously convenient NJ Transit bus service that stops at Hamilton Park and will take you right into the NY Port Authority bus terminal. Bus #126. This service is an afterthought for most people but depending upon your circumstances it could be very useful.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 18:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Hamilton Park, and I absolutely recommend it. I think it's such a beautiful neighborhood, and the park itself is amazing.

I walk from here to the Hoboken train station every morning at about 5:30 am. I'm not sure I'd feel safe doing that in VVP.

As for the PATH stations, I don't think HP is that much farther from the PATH than VVP. If you're standing on the corner of 8th and Jersey, you're basically a ten minute walk from either Newport or HP. I realize VVP is a shorter walk, but if you're basing your decision on convenience to the station, I would never describe HP's location as inconvenient in any way. In fact, because it's not closer to Grove Street, we tend to have a quieter neighborhood and an easier time finding parking.

I find it really convenient to be close to both stations.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 18:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/29 13:55
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I are facing the same choice between VVP and Hamilton Park. We are coming from Manhattan. We initially looked at a big 2BR in Liberty Harbor, but we on our way to the leasing office we walked through Hamilton Park. We love the quiet streets, the park and the general vibe. The apartment is bigger (though older and not renovated). The VVP apt is smaller (by a lot), but completely renovated. It's on Wayne Street, one block west of the "sketchy block between Jersey and Barrow." Is Wayne St. very sketchy? Jersey Ave between Wayne and Columbus didn't look so great. It's closer to the Path than HP, but is it safe?

Agh, can't decide!

Posted on: 2012/1/15 17:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/10 17:50
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
VVP will likely always be more desireable because of the PATH and more restuarants...so for prospective owners it would likely be a better investment. They are not a whole lot different...HP may have the park but VVP has LSP which is the size of central park with 1/3 the people using it.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
The point is moot since the OP made a decision, but to me Van Vorst seems to have more to offer for singles and couples, while Hamilton Park is more of a family with kids area. I have to agree with what ripple listed, with one caveat:

Quote:

ripple wrote:
VVP has a fancy wine/beer store in Jersey Liquors. Hamilton park has buyrite - bigger but not nearly as walkable.

Hamilton Park has Madame Claude Wine, a recent addition to the area, and it is fantastic. Their beer selection is a bit wanting (they only carry a dozen or so different beers, so I usually go to Buy Rite for that) but they have a great wine selection and a very knowledgeable staff. And they frequently have wine tastings, often staffed by the vintners themselves.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 17:00
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
The constant sirens that are 7th street in Hamilton Park area, is enough reason to say no to HP area....!

Posted on: 2011/6/8 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Seems like an awful lot of money to shell out for rent. Well I guess if people are willing to spend it then people are willing to charge it. At those figures you should have bought a house.

$1800 a lot for rent? seriously?

Have you looked at what it costs to either rent or to buy in downtown?

That's a decent deal for a 1BR with yard in VVP. It is certainly not cheaper to buy a house, unless you want to live in JSQ or Heights.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
All this back and forth seems to be covering the extreme ends of the HP and VVP neighborhoods.

You could always split the difference in Harsimus Cove and get the best of both.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:
Ida, I think $1800 for something with any outdoor space AND a washer/dryer seems low. I think something like that would probably run at least $2100 or more.
However, if you DO find all that for $1800, let us know! That would be a great get.
Best of luck with the move!

Seems like an awful lot of money to shell out for rent. Well I guess if people are willing to spend it then people are willing to charge it. At those figures you should have bought a house.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 9:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Ida,

I think $1800 for something with any outdoor space AND a washer/dryer seems low. I think something like that would probably run at least $2100 or more.

However, if you DO find all that for $1800, let us know! That would be a great get.

Best of luck with the move!

Posted on: 2011/6/3 4:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/6 3:34
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for the responses. we've decided to make the move to vv. i will very much miss our current neighborhood but I can't do another winter with my current 15-minute walk to the PATH everyday (and that's if I'm moving fast). we're moving forward on a nice homey (read: not recently renovated) place with w/d and small backyard on a quiet side street for 1800. From what I've read here, that doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
An advatage HP has over VVP

NYC cabbies have a fare book.It's been a while since I got a cab from Manhattan, but a few years ago, Hoboken was $20 and JC was $35-40.

Soooo...I'd ask the NYC cabbie to take me to Hoboken via the Holland Tunnel. Once thru the tunnel, I'd change my mind and tell them to drop me off at 12th and Manila, pay the Hoboken fare and walk the couple of short blocks to HP.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
VVP has Wonder Bagels. Hamilton park has Basic.

VVP has A-1, Marrow, and Paradise delis nearby for late night runs. In Hamilton park, you're pretty much SOL after 10 PM - if you want snacks or cigs, you need to walk up to one of the gas stations entering the Holland tunnel.

VVP has a fancy wine/beer store in Jersey Liquors. Hamilton park has buyrite - bigger but not nearly as walkable.

VVP has the brownstone diner. Hamilton park has White Star (IMO best overall value on food/drinks/service in the whole town).

VVP has the sketchy block of Wayne st. between Jersey and Barrow. HP has nothing of the sort.

VVP is close to Liberty State Park. HP is close to the mall and the Newport waterfront.

Having lived in both areas, I'd say that they're very similar, but VVP feels a bit more like city living, whereas HP is a bit more settled and overall more upscale.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Both of the parks are quite nice, but I prefer VVP's proximity to the PATH. I just moved to the corner of Jersey and York, and so far it seems almost eerily quiet. We looked at a lot of places near there ranging from $1400 - $2400, and it seemed very much like a "you get what you pay for" situation -- we didn't see anything drastically under- or over-priced. Ended up choosing a gigantic 1br (w/ dishwasher, central AC and w/d) priced in the middle of that range.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Resized Image

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive- ... 38DDDAF0994DC405B828EF1D3

The cops only took one bottle of whiskey as "evidence".

Posted on: 2011/6/2 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
I've lived in VV area for 7 years. I've been looking to move, but will only stay in the VV or PH area, all though HP area is quite a bit cheaper.

For me, having the PATH within a 5 minute walk means everything. In addition, you are close to the beer garden, the shops on Grove & Newark, and the Duane Reade is a great thing to have near you.

VV is technically considered everything south of ccb (i think), west of grove, east of grand -- not sure what the west boundary is.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
PH is actually very quiet if you dont count Grand St (which isnt too bad at all) and exchange place during the day. Parking is definitely not bad either, in 6 years I've never had to park more than 2 blocks from my house. for a ground level 1 BR with a yard, expect to pay 1400 on the very low end. theres one for rent on Grand st right now for 1350 that a cat hoarder used to live in with a shitty backyard.

also the nickname horseshoe ias actually a bastardization of "whore's shoe" - so named because the park was originally shaped like a clear acrylic platform heel.

hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 14:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/10 4:22
Group:
Registered Users
I have some insight regarding the "horseshoe" nickname. According to historian Thomas Fleming, the name originated from the shape of Hague's district after an aggressive gerrymander. Apparently politicians redrew the boundaries of Hudson County to assure a solid voting black, and in the process they gave it the vague look of a horseshoe...

Posted on: 2011/6/2 14:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
I would pick the Horseshoe over Van Vorst.

Okay, I'll bite. Horseshoe? 1st time I've heard that one. Is this a new one like "Hamilton Square Park"?

he's a bitter old jc lifer passively rubbing it into your face. as usual cheap bait..

Posted on: 2011/6/2 7:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I believe the name Horseshoe arose from the fact that it was the area where the train tracks turned a horseshoe shaped loop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe,_Jersey_City

Posted on: 2011/6/2 4:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Horseshoe is the orignal name of the area from the 19th century. I think heights is on a one person crusade to revive this ancient name.

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
I would pick the Horseshoe over Van Vorst.

Okay, I'll bite. Horseshoe? 1st time I've heard that one. Is this a new one like "Hamilton Square Park"?

Posted on: 2011/6/2 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ida wrote:
Considering a move from the Hamilton Park area to the Van Vorst Park area. I'm partial to the former just because it's where we've lived and I feel a loyalty. Also, Hamilton Park this past sunny weekend was a delight. Wondering what people's thoughts on here are about the two different neighborhoods. Pros? Cons? Van Vorst prices seem to be higher.

Another question: what is a reasonable price for a not-renovated 1-bdrm with small backyrd. Oh, and there's a w/d in apartment which would be a first for me!!

Thanks!

There's a lot of things I like about both areas. It's seriously going to be down to personal preference - there really isn't a huge difference overall between the two.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Even though I'm from the Heights I spend a considerable amount of time in the Downtown section of J.C. I would pick the Horseshoe over Van Vorst. For one thing it's quiet, I feel the area near Van Vorst gets too much traffic, and too busy. I would rather walk over to my needs then have them on top of me. And living near a train station would lead me to believe that all sorts of undesirables would cross my path. The Horseshoe has a more tranquil atmosphere a close knit neighborhood. Having Basic Coffee, The White Star Bar, and Monmouth Italian Deli is a nice touch plus it covers morning, noon, and night. Maybe living south and east of VVP would be the exception to the rule. And by the way are you buying or renting ? ps: I think the parking is better in the Horseshoe.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think so, but it's a short walking distance, isn't it? 3 blocks?

Posted on: 2011/6/2 2:29

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017