Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: wtf - JCPD - insane ticket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Like I said, I stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. I shouldn't have to slam on my brake for someone who wasn't even on the curb when I am approaching the crosswalk, who decides to run into traffic because they are stupid or have a deathwish.

And btw, I have kids too. I stop at the curb and look both ways before I cross the street. I do not think that my stroller is a device to stop oncoming traffic. I don't cross unless I have a light and even then I stop at the curb and I make sure that it's safe before I cross the street. I also never enter the crosswalk until I know that I can actually cross the street.

To assume that drivers are always the discourteous ones in this city 100% of the time is ridiculous. Have you seen some of the people in this city walking around like they don't give a crap if a car is coming or not? Walking against lights? In the middle of the street? I stop for buses, I stop for pedestrians, I stop for a family of geese! I never "block the box" and I drive the speed limit. I am a courteous driver and a safe pedestrian.

I will admit that there are a lot of crap drivers out there too, but just as there are a lot of crap drivers, there are a lot of crap pedestrians.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Pedestrians have the right of way at crosswalks period. No ifs, ands or buts. Pedestrians are soft tissued, easily breakable - cars are metal, 2000 lbs. I've never in my life lived anywhere else where this is put in question daily on the streets when cars don't stop, try and get away without stopping or just barely let you walk across. I've been almost hit 3 times and can't count the near misses on many other occasions in the past ten years living here. And all I've done is try to cross the street, carefully, at a pedestrian crosswalk.

Other cities are well trained in the civility of letting a pedestrian cross. It's the law. Why are we different?

It doesn't matter if it takes you 10 more minutes to get to work letting a dozen pedestrians at a dozen crosswalks cross. It is civil, it's the law, it's the thing to do. If you don't like waiting, find another route. What a great city it would be if we were that civil to one another instead of seeing what we can get away with.

And if you make the argument pedestrians needs to do their job first and cross correctly or whatever the argument will be on this thread that pedestrians have to do their part. Nope. Cars are BIG. Cars are HEAVY. Cars can kill. Let the cars start being polite and letting people cross. We can teach our pedestrians after, why? Because then they are still ALIVE to learn how.

I always stop for pedestrians when they are on the curb and trying to cross the street. However, I've seen people cross streets not on the cross walk, cross against the light on a busy street and then jump off of the curb without looking up from their phones. You are supposed to look both ways before you cross the street! We learned this in Kindergarten.

I drive through DT JC and Hoboken often and I can't tell you how many times I've had to slam on my brake because some idiot who wasn't anywhere near the curb while I entered the intersection, walks into the crosswalk without looking up. If a car is already approaching the crosswalk that doesn't mean you can run from the sidwalk and jump off the curb into the intersection to cut off a car! Look up and stop before you cross the street!

They still have the right of way regardless if they are idiots or not. Don't adhere to j-walkers, but adhere to those crossing at a legal pedestrian crosswalk. Phones in hand, blindfolded, walking backwards, those with a skip in their step, a gaggle of teens walking .000008 mph, they legally have the right of way. They are soft targets, cars are hard targets. You hit 'em, you pay, not the other way around.

Fine. I'll go to jail but at least I'll still be alive.

Wow. The lack of civility to prove a point on this board is always at the expense of having fruitful interaction to move forward as a thriving community. I say let it start with YOU. And what make is your car so I can make certain my child and I aren't trying to cross the street when you are driving.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Pedestrians have the right of way at crosswalks period. No ifs, ands or buts. Pedestrians are soft tissued, easily breakable - cars are metal, 2000 lbs. I've never in my life lived anywhere else where this is put in question daily on the streets when cars don't stop, try and get away without stopping or just barely let you walk across. I've been almost hit 3 times and can't count the near misses on many other occasions in the past ten years living here. And all I've done is try to cross the street, carefully, at a pedestrian crosswalk.

Other cities are well trained in the civility of letting a pedestrian cross. It's the law. Why are we different?

It doesn't matter if it takes you 10 more minutes to get to work letting a dozen pedestrians at a dozen crosswalks cross. It is civil, it's the law, it's the thing to do. If you don't like waiting, find another route. What a great city it would be if we were that civil to one another instead of seeing what we can get away with.

And if you make the argument pedestrians needs to do their job first and cross correctly or whatever the argument will be on this thread that pedestrians have to do their part. Nope. Cars are BIG. Cars are HEAVY. Cars can kill. Let the cars start being polite and letting people cross. We can teach our pedestrians after, why? Because then they are still ALIVE to learn how.

I always stop for pedestrians when they are on the curb and trying to cross the street. However, I've seen people cross streets not on the cross walk, cross against the light on a busy street and then jump off of the curb without looking up from their phones. You are supposed to look both ways before you cross the street! We learned this in Kindergarten.

I drive through DT JC and Hoboken often and I can't tell you how many times I've had to slam on my brake because some idiot who wasn't anywhere near the curb while I entered the intersection, walks into the crosswalk without looking up. If a car is already approaching the crosswalk that doesn't mean you can run from the sidwalk and jump off the curb into the intersection to cut off a car! Look up and stop before you cross the street!

They still have the right of way regardless if they are idiots or not. Don't adhere to j-walkers, but adhere to those crossing at a legal pedestrian crosswalk. Phones in hand, blindfolded, walking backwards, those with a skip in their step, a gaggle of teens walking .000008 mph, they legally have the right of way. They are soft targets, cars are hard targets. You hit 'em, you pay, not the other way around.

Fine. I'll go to jail but at least I'll still be alive.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

That's great in theory, but Snowflake is right in practice. Hoboken is particularly bad as she says, cars are parked so close to the corners visibility sucks to see someone approaching the crosswalk, and they'll step off the curb without looking no matter how close to the intersection you are.

There's a corollary in naval law. In theory, sailboats always have right of way over all powered craft. But on the Coast Guard Auxiliary site http://www.auxguidanceskills.info/press/bigger.html there is a "Law of Gross Tonnage". I'd file it under the general heading "don't be an idiot".

Quote:

Law of Gross Tonnage

The law, which is more common sense then explicitly written in the code, goes like this: ?The heavier vessel always has the right-of-way.?

This is based on simple Newtonian physics. Newton?s first law talks about objects in motion stay in motion unless another force is acted upon it. In other words, if a boat is moving a 5 mph east and you were in the vacuum of space, it would never stop traveling east at 5 mph. However, we all know when we stop our engine on our boat, we slow down.

How long it takes to go from 5 mph to zero, depends on wind, and current. Even if there was no wind or current, we?d still slow down, because the water itself provides friction upon the hull of the boat, and that in itself acts as a brake.

We all have, by observation found that the bigger the object, the longer it takes to slow down. Newton?s second law of physics talks about how the amount of force required to move an object is inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

So, if a tug and barge were traveling down a narrow channel, and you stopped your boat 1,000 feet away, right in front of the tug and barge; and, if the master of the tug saw you immediately; and if the master of the tug immediately began to stop the tug and barge; you?d have less than one minute to move your vessel.

Because if you didn?t move your vessel in less than 60 small seconds, the tug and barge would just run right over you. It would be impossible for the master of the tug to stop, based of the collective mass of both the vessel and the barge, in 1,000 feet.

The law of gross tonnage is un-relenting. It is a fact of life. What also is a fact of life, is that you should not depend on the master of the tug or any other large vessel is able to see you, either visually or on radar.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

Posted on: 2011/5/31 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

Posted on: 2011/5/31 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Longhorne is partially correct. While most of the painted cross walk signs do have stop lights on Martin Blvd. I know that Bay Street does not. You will be taking your life into your own hands if you cross at Bay and Marin thinking a motorist will obey the law and stop for you.

Longhorn wrote:
Erie is where this really needs to be enforced, even if they have to put a stop sign on every corner. Marin is a thoroughfare, like it or not. Pedestrians should wait for the light to change before crossing.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Kelcey wrote:
I agree that we all need to drive cautiously and safely, but we also need to recognize when trying to be nice/generous creates dangerous driving conditions. One of my best friends does this all the time--it's not that she doesn't 'get' the right of way rules at four-way stops, she just thinks she's being nice to let other drivers go. I tell her over and over that by violating the rules, she's causing confusion for other drivers and is more likely to cause an accident.

I'm with you 100% on that "nice" thing. But the people I'm talking about are the ones not obviously just hanging, often they LOOK like they are waiting to cross, and I don't expect a mother to push her stroller into the street until a car has actually stopped (though I can't tell you how many times strollers have been pushed in front of my car when I have a green light!).

The cars going around thing drives me batshit when I stop to not block the box, and some idiot goes around me and blocks crossing traffic. This has happened numerous time at Fairmount & Storms.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've stopped for someone on the curb, waved them on, and had them indicate they're not actually crossing the street, just standing there. Or they are crossing the street, eventually, after they futz with their phone or kid or whatever.

As I indicated above, I don't think the law says that you are supposed to stop for people if they are still on the curb. What you describe creates a dangerous, potentially confusing situation for other drivers--though the law also says it's illegal for people behind you to try to pass you when you are letting a pedestrian cross. The law says that they have to be in the crosswalk, which I understand to mean that they have 'exited the curb.' The language seems to consistently be framed as 'in the crosswalk'--I don't see anything about pedestrians waiting at the curb to enter the crosswalk.

I agree that we all need to drive cautiously and safely, but we also need to recognize when trying to be nice/generous creates dangerous driving conditions. One of my best friends does this all the time--it's not that she doesn't 'get' the right of way rules at four-way stops, she just thinks she's being nice to let other drivers go. I tell her over and over that by violating the rules, she's causing confusion for other drivers and is more likely to cause an accident.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 15:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/31 18:38
Group:
Registered Users
Erie is where this really needs to be enforced, even if they have to put a stop sign on every corner. Marin is a thoroughfare, like it or not. Pedestrians should wait for the light to change before crossing.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/5/31 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"Stop for Peds in Crosswalk" painted before these cross walks, signage, anything to alert motorists ........whatever. The amazing thing is that there are none of these alerts in any of our dangerous intersections. Not one! This can't cost JC that much considering all the accidents and near misses which happen every day.

This is all on Jerry's watch people.

dtjcview wrote:

.......Don't put a "Stop for Peds in Crosswalk" as a sign at the crosswalk itself- paint it in BIG letters 1/2 a block away on the road itself. Duh.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I fully support stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks with a few qualifications:

1. JCPA must ticket/tow all cars blocking the view at crosswalks.
2. Pedestrians must be patient. They cannot expect to jog across the street and expect traffic to immediately stop, if there isn't a stop sign.

A foot in the crosswalk should signal traffic to stop if they can do so safely. A reasonable stopping distance such as 1/2 a block should be mandated, and actually marked on the road - that would be simple and effective.

Don't put a "Stop for Peds in Crosswalk" as a sign at the crosswalk itself- paint it in BIG letters 1/2 a block away on the road itself. Duh.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've stopped for someone on the curb, waved them on, and had them indicate they're not actually crossing the street, just standing there. Or they are crossing the street, eventually, after they futz with their phone or kid or whatever.

The new "west coast" style law IS hard to get my NY born and bred head around, I try to be conciencious driving around here, as a parent I'd be crazy not to, but sometimes there's just too much going on. Like, you're trying to make a left from 7th onto Erie, the view is obstructed and it's a high traffic time, you have to wait for a small opening and have a but a moment to make your turn and glance to see that someone hasn't stepped off the curb of the NW corner in either direction. Yes of course they have right of way, but the close calls can be harrowing.

Erie is busy all the way towards the tunnel area. And I too hate this out of town driving mentality, heck I hate this out of town mentality. These cell phones are a detriment to mobile society. If they want drivers to stop then put those blinking 4 way stop signs at each intersection like they have in the suburbs. Being made in J.C. it will be hard to adjust to this new driving life style. "After you"

Posted on: 2011/5/31 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

The new "west coast" style law IS hard to get my NY born and bred head around, I try to be conciencious driving around here, as a parent I'd be crazy not to, but sometimes there's just too much going on. Like, you're trying to make a left from 7th onto Erie, the view is obstructed and it's a high traffic time, you have to wait for a small opening and have a but a moment to make your turn and glance to see that someone hasn't stepped off the curb of the NW corner in either direction. Yes of course they have right of way, but the close calls can be harrowing.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Laws do not have to be posted widely. Ignorance of a law is not the governments responsibility.

Why would we want to allow our government to change the rules without announcing it widely?

No, seriously, - what would be the goal there?

Posted on: 2011/5/31 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Laws do not have to be posted widely. Ignorance of a law is not the governments responsibility.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:

The new law isn't a drastic change requiring any adapted driving behavior. Before it was yield and now it is stop, but in the end it is essentially same thing

If they were, we would not be discussing this case here, now would we?

Previously, a driver was allowed to estimate speeds and distances and to decide whether it is safe to continue, or to slow down, or to stop. Now, the decision is taken from the driver altogether.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
borisp wrote:
Quote:

Simple. This is not a "basic driving law in every state" and it is a relatively new law in New Jersey. The law was changed a year ago. Used to be "yield", now it is "stop".

And I do not remember any big announcements about the change either. And it is not just me. Judging by your unequivocal pronouncement, it is as much news to you as to the person you blame.

They upgraded the law because NJ had some of the worst reports of pedestrian safety. At the time they reported on local news that the change in law was made to make it more clear to drivers as to what their obligation is. Yield was not clear enough.

The new law isn't a drastic change requiring any adapted driving behavior. Before it was yield and now it is stop, but in the end it is essentially same thing, you stop to let them cross. The concept is that pedestrians in crosswalks (without signs or signals) have the right of way and drivers are required to let them safely cross the street. I don't know of any state that gives drivers the right of way in this situation be it yielding or stopping, so I see that as basic understanding of traffic rules.

Even under the old law socialgal would have been in violation. socialgal portrays herself as someone who tries to be courteous driver and I jumped down her throat a bit and I apologize for that.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
oh bullshit from all of you. I'd like to see how many of you, driving down a major road, take notice of everyone on the sidewalk to see if they're waiting to cross or not.

It's about people who are in a crosswalk already. Marin is awful because the road is 4 lanes and cars are usually flying to and from the tunnel. I always stop for pedestrians but usually the other 3 lanes are people who don't know anything about the laws. So, in effect, you just block the other cars views of the pedestrians and you feel as if you are luring them to their deaths. It's a very scary and very badly organized way of moving pedestrians across that road. I think they definitely need another light at 10th and Marin.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
I've been wondering about this law since it went into effect last year. The way that I interpret the information at http://www.state.nj.us/lps/hts/pedestrian.html is that you have to stop if the pedestrian is IN the crosswalk (i.e., has entered), but I don't see that you have to stop if the pedestrian is on the curb (in fact, that site specifically says that pedestrians can't suddenly step off the curb if a car would not have sufficient time to yield). Obviously you need to play it safe as both a driver and pedestrian around here. If the rule is actually that you have to stop for people waiting to enter the crosswalk (i.e., standing on the curb), where can I find info about that language/clarification?

Of course, as we all know, these rules don't apply to the police. My husband and I were crossing 7th on our way up to Hamilton Park last weekend....we were 20% of the way across the street (walking in the crosswalk...and there is a clear stop sign as drivers approach Erie). Cop barely slowed down, blew through the stop sign and nearly ran us over.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We all need to be more aware of pedestrians at these cross walks. Period. Many times the police will have 'staged pedestrians' there to repeatedly ticket drivers - like shooting fish in a barrel. On any given day the JC police could make hundreds if not thousands of dollars on Marin Blvd. alone.

Why Jerry doesn't order up signage by all these painted cross walks that say, "Stop For Pedestrians - It's The Law" is beyond me.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:

You shouldn't have been given a drivers license.

This is basic driving law in every state. How is this news to you? ...

Simple. This is not a "basic driving law in every state" and it is a relatively new law in New Jersey. The law was changed a year ago. Used to be "yield", now it is "stop".

And I do not remember any big announcements about the change either. And it is not just me. Judging by your unequivocal pronouncement, it is as much news to you as to the person you blame.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 12:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/24 4:41
Group:
Registered Users
And you obviously must not have one at all, matt07302

The rule even in Jersey up until a year ago was 'yield to pedestrians' not 'stop for pedestrians' as per the link above.

Doing 20 and being conscious of what is around you is not reckless. I missed a person who obviously wasn't in the middle of the road - this is not an instance of me mowing people down in the slightest. Pedestrians also have to evaluate when to cross.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 6:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
oh bullshit from all of you. I'd like to see how many of you, driving down a major road, take notice of everyone on the sidewalk to see if they're waiting to cross or not.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 5:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

socialgal wrote:

Apparently the law in JC is that you have to come to a full stop at every crosswalk that is *painted* (with or without a light or stop sign) if there is a pedestrian waiting to cross. I will concede that it is a just and reasonable law in such a densely populated area and one that I am good about - not that I knew about it! Not posted anywhere.

However I logged in to pay my ticket (yes, I pay my tickets) and it is 230 dollars! You have absolutely got to be effing kidding me. That's more than the ticket for speeding more than 20 mph over the speed limit! I would end up paying less than if I floored it down Erie (which I never do).

You shouldn't have been given a drivers license.

This is basic driving law in every state. How is this news to you? $230 is pennies compared to the financial payout you would have to pay if you struck a pedestrian in a crosswalk. The concept of the fine is to give you warning that your actions could have serious implications to peoples safety. Seems like JCPD gave you a lesson on the law that you were in need of learning.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I always stop as well. I get nervous about doing so on Jersey Ave because there is always the chance that some A-Hole will try and go around and I am afraid I am waving some poor pedestrian into the A-Hole's path. For that reason I will usually stick my hand out the window to stop anyone from doing such a thing. The JCPD have definitely stepped up enforcement lately and for that I am grateful.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The culture at JCPD also sux's and it all starts from the top down including the moron who elects the chief.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 2:48
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/31 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Done any driving in Hoboken? The way pedestrians there walk out into traffic, palm facing outward like they have magical yuppie powers, cell phone to ear, is a is a greater threat to their own safety. How 'bout the JCPD lift their non-enforcement policy regarding red light running?

Posted on: 2011/5/30 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
what cheeses me about this whole thing is thinking about the many times JCPD have nearly run me over in a crosswalk.

maybe the cops didn't get the link?

Posted on: 2011/5/30 2:25

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017