Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cityside Bistro @Grand & Greene
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I have been meaning to write about this place for quite some time but keep forgetting to do so.

At my urging, my wife and I gave this place a second try a month or so ago. Once again, the place disappointed in many ways. While the decor improved ever so slightly (they finally got rid of the ghastly maroon tablecloths!) the service was just atrocious. The bartender was unable to keep up with the 10 to 15 customers that were sitting around the bar. It wasn't even particularly busy. He simply kept walking away to talk to a waitress and would never check back on anyone. Any person that wanted another beer or drink needed to grab his attention by waving and calling him out.

The thing that really peeved me was that the beers seemed watered down. Something was definitely off with their taps, or kegs, or both. I first ordered a beer that didn't taste right (it tasted somewhat stale, and definitely felt like it was watered down) so, after a few minutes of trying to get his attention, I asked him to replace it with something else. I asked for a Guiness, and it was equally bad. We finished our drinks and left. There was nothing to be done. My wife's beer didn't taste right, either. There were a couple of buys next to us and they seemed equally disappointed/annoyed by their inability to get a second round of drinks.

I hope they improve their service and continue to get customers. I am sure it can't be easy to make a go of it, but their establishment is lacking and we will likely not be back anytime soon.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 18:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 17:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped in for lunch last week and have a mixed review.

The maroon tablecloths are terrible and actually take away from the overall decor greatly. Why spend all this money on designing the place and then toss a cheap tablecloth which matches nothing on every table?

Calamari app was underwhelming. The cornmeal/semolina? crust felt raw & under-cooked. The actual calamari was nice but the thick raw coating wasn't pleasant. Also, the portion size was massive but the bland dipping sauce was tiny, chef needs to rethink this one.

Steak sandwich was good, not amazing but very good.

The Shrimp and Risotto was very tasty, risotto rather thick though, I prefer a more traditional loose risotto, to each his own I guess. But the flavors were great and I would order this again.

Service was good and overall a nice lunch. Looking forward to the kitchen and front of house working out some of the kinks before I return for dinner.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
After checking out the new candy store a few blocks away (How Sweet It Is) we decided to stop in and check out this place. It was fairly empty, so we grabbed a spot at the bar and ordered some brews. The bartender was really nice, outgoing and talkative and served us a perfect Guinness pour, and a frosty, cold Radeberger. Their tap selection is decent (about 10 different brews) consisting of mostly middle of the road beers (Guinness, Radeberger, Stella were the highlights).

Overall, the place was nice, but the decor is somewhat odd (some of the nicer touches were somewhat tempered by odd choices). I would lose the maroon colored table clothes. We may go back at some point to try out the food (we only had a beer each) but I doubt this place will become part of our bar rotation. I do wish them the best, and I do think they did a good job with the space. It just wasn't to my liking.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tawaka7777 wrote:
where is this place at

Read the title of this thread again, you'll figure it out.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 13:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/2 11:39
Group:
Registered Users
where is this place at

Posted on: 2011/6/30 12:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Here is an article on Cityside from nj.com. There is an interesting line towards the end which states that Peter Mocco claims he will be re-opening the Sandbar in a few weeks. No other details, though.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rant_opens_at_70_gre.html

Posted on: 2011/6/29 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sussexst wrote:
A few weeks ago I walked by this corner and noticed the doors were open (it's in the new high rise) and saw what looked to be a long bar with lots of construction going on. Just yesterday I passed by and saw there were signs up for Cityside Bistro, and spying between the paper in the windows it looks as if it is ready to open any day now. Anyone know any details?

Talked to one of the owners yesterday. Full bar and outdoor seating for 40. They will serve "hearty steaks" and continental cuisine. They are opening in early June.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 20:43

Cityside Bistro @Grand & Greene
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/6 17:42
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
A few weeks ago I walked by this corner and noticed the doors were open (it's in the new high rise) and saw what looked to be a long bar with lots of construction going on. Just yesterday I passed by and saw there were signs up for Cityside Bistro, and spying between the paper in the windows it looks as if it is ready to open any day now. Anyone know any details?

Posted on: 2011/5/18 16:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017