Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Buying on Webster Ave
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/26 3:14
Group:
Registered Users
If safety walking up from hoboken is a concern, the 87 nj transit bus runs from the hoboken terminal and has a stop at the corner of Franklin and Webster. it runs pretty frequently

Posted on: 2011/4/22 1:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/28 13:48
From Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
Yardl3y,
Do you mind if I ask if you are buying a house or a condo? We are selling our single family house on Bowers Street between Sherman and Hancock. It's a nice neighborhood and we haven't had any problems, other than the occasional issues that "someone with urban patience" (I like that JerseyMom!) can deal with. You can walk to the 9th street light rail elevator from our door in about 8-10 minutes.
Not giving you the hard sell, but if you are interested, let me know!
Mosey.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived a few blocks away from Webster and Hutton for over 4 years and I haven't had any issues, personally. (I am a female) My neighbor had her car broken into twice and her gps stolen yet my car has never been touched (however, my car was broken into in Manhattan). As far as I can tell, the majority of the crime in the Heights is usually gang on gang or some sort of domestic situation. That being said, I do not walk around alone at night (but I didn't do that when I lived downtown either). If I am out late, I take a cab from grove, hoboken, or journal square and it's never a problem.

The commute down Mountain Road is okay because lots of people do it and they are also going to build the 100 steps staircase there. BUT, I would not do this walk alone at night.

I have a lot of good friends in the Heights and a lot of nice families as neighbors. I love it. Some really awesome stores and restaurants on Central that remember their customers. There are definitely a lot of "characters" up in the Heights that you don't see anywhere else. Like really awesome born and raised Jersey City gritty, tell it like it is attitude that I adore.

Heights 4evah

Posted on: 2011/4/20 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/4/20 19:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/8 15:33
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the responses. Seems like its always the same outcome when asking about this area. Some people say its fine and others say it isn't. We're not planning on raising a family here, we just want to purchase our first home here and enjoy it for a few years. My main concern is for my girlfriends safety.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I was a homeowner on that precise block of Webster Ave for several years. The block definitely has its ups and downs. There are a lot of "quality of life" crimes that some with urban patience can endure. My car was broken in to several times as was our shed. Flowers, pumpkins, etc. were stolen from the stoop. The Franklin Ave. block draws in its share of malcontents. There is a definite gang presence in the area. Last week, a man was badly beaten on Hutton Street - right around your corner. Mountain Road has its share of muggings and stabbings.

If you're purchasing, make sure to double check your basement. There are a lot of flooding issues in that area and most basements are wet.

If I had to purchase again, I would most definitely not buy in that area. If you're single, you'll probably do okay. If you're thinking of staying for the long haul to start a family and settle down, I'd think again.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
That area had some late night beatings.. Not on Webster that I know of, but a block up on Palisades.. I wouldn?t recommend walking at night around there..

Posted on: 2011/4/20 17:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 20:03
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I bought on Webster/Hutton in 1999, and really like the street. It's a pretty good neighborhood (not without it's crime) but I've never really felt unsafe, even when walking the dogs very late-night. Our building has cameras recording the happenings inside and out on Webster and Hutton.

We have 28 condos in our building, many with children/babies who all enjoy our homes.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 17:49
...Sometimes I Bleed

Buying on Webster Ave
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/8 15:33
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hi guys, first post here. We are considering a home located on Webster Ave. between Franklin St. and Hutton St. We love the home but my girlfriend is concerned about crime in the area. We live in Union City so we're used to the urban setting, however we want to make sure that it will be safe for her to walk to and from the light rail through Mountain Road. and the general area. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/4/20 17:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017