Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: throwing rocks at people?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
A week ago I was running a 10K training run up and down Palisade Ave. through the Heights (though probably I had just crossed into Union City), when I felt a thud near my feet and something like dirt spraying onto my calf.

It was a warm and fairly nice evening, and there were a lot of kids and others on the stoops and coming in and out of the little stores. Pretty sure someone threw a rock at me.

Heights, interesting that you mention biking between Manhattan and the Bronx. During last year\'s New York City Century bike ride, as I was passing through Marble Hill (politically Manhattan, geographically the Bronx) some tween boy with a strong arm stepped out between two buildings and whipped a dirtbomb at my head from about 10 feet away. Most of hit hit my helmet, otherwise I probably would have crashed. I called the cops, whatever good that did.

Both times, of course, I was guilty of the terrible crime of doing something geeky/athletic in someone else\'s neighborhood, for which I deserve serious injury.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Not to go too far OT, but that was pretty much the reaction I got from the JCPD when I called about two guys beating the crap out of a third guy. The police misunderstood the call, and thought I said that I had been beaten up. Anyway, they showed up a few hours later at my door, and when I explained what actually happened, they shrugged and said "Well, we haven't heard anything from the victim," and left.

As Fred Flintstone said..."Overpaid Knuckleheads"

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kristen82 wrote:
It seems like the JCPD has a pretty lax attitude when it comes to these sort of things. I live on Newark ave and have the lovely couple who are drunk and pushing a shopping cart up and down the block 24/7. They literally beat the crap out of each other in front of my door and sometimes just sit there and block it so I have to physically push the door into them to get out. I see them constantly throwing things at each other, which could most definitely hit passersby or vehicle traffic. Have called the JCPD on several occasions and have been told every time that they're "aware of the situation" but essentially will do nothing unless they're actively beating each other and throwing crap right there in front of them. My favorite line was "They only seem to exhibit violence against each other, so you shouldn't worry".

Not to go too far OT, but that was pretty much the reaction I got from the JCPD when I called about two guys beating the crap out of a third guy. The police misunderstood the call, and thought I said that I had been beaten up. Anyway, they showed up a few hours later at my door, and when I explained what actually happened, they shrugged and said "Well, we haven't heard anything from the victim," and left.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
It is interesting that some folks criticize the bike riders instead of the rock-throwing sociopaths.

Nobodys criticizing the bike riders, simply giving you some insight to why they are probebly trying to pelt people with stones.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
It is interesting that some folks criticize the bike riders instead of the rock-throwing sociopaths.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 17:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/16 2:55
Group:
Registered Users
It seems like the JCPD has a pretty lax attitude when it comes to these sort of things. I live on Newark ave and have the lovely couple who are drunk and pushing a shopping cart up and down the block 24/7. They literally beat the crap out of each other in front of my door and sometimes just sit there and block it so I have to physically push the door into them to get out. I see them constantly throwing things at each other, which could most definitely hit passersby or vehicle traffic. Have called the JCPD on several occasions and have been told every time that they're "aware of the situation" but essentially will do nothing unless they're actively beating each other and throwing crap right there in front of them. My favorite line was "They only seem to exhibit violence against each other, so you shouldn't worry".

Posted on: 2011/8/8 16:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Eggs or even pebbles are merely annoying. This was a fist-sized rock! She was very lucky.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

My girlfriend and I were biking back from LSP tonight. Right by the light rail station on Jersey Ave, she got grazed on the face by a rock...

...there were about 4-5 kids walking into the station over the fence from us. When we shouted, they seemed to hide on the other side.

Since the light rail was built there has been a problem with gangs of dangerous teens (boys and girls) riding around on it without paying -- cameras and real enforcement of ticket payment would go a long way to control these crazed youths.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
It's the helmets and that "out of town" gentrified look that appeals to them.

Yea seeing some of you all american gentrifiers with your beach cruisers in JC is bizarre to the locals, that's somehting JC is not used to. I'd say that draws some attention.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I remember riding with a bike club over the GW Bridge and then into the Bronx where we were pelted with eggs from above by local kids. It's the helmets and that "out of town" gentrified look that usually appeal to them.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
your riding your bikes on the fringe of your "safe" downtown bubble. I'm not sure what would give you the false sense of security that JC at night is sugar and roses. Glad that nobody was hurt though.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 2:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
My girlfriend and I were biking back from LSP tonight. Right by the light rail station on Jersey Ave, she got grazed on the face by a rock. Through supreme luck, she's not hurt, but the rock was fist sized. We couldn't really quite understand/piece it together as it happened but there were about 4-5 kids walking into the station over the fence from us. When we shouted, they seemed to hide on the other side. Sometimes there are transit cops or a JCPD car parked there. Not tonight. a good scare at least to not continue this stupidity.

What triggers this? Our helmets? The led lights on her bike as darkness was falling? Hate of the "other"?

Posted on: 2011/8/6 0:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/20 2:05
Group:
Registered Users
"It's great that the local dogs in the neighborhood have the same mind-set endorsed by their owners to act as a Police or Security dog. I feel reassured that these types of dogs will never be let off lead (even accidentially) where kids play or the elderly walk."

It is a very simple statement: Dog owners are the Neighborhood Crime Watch.

I am not talking about the size of the dog, but the presence of people. Dog owners walk dogs 24/7, thus deter crime just by being witness.

Posted on: 2011/4/27 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
It's great that the local dogs in the neighborhood have the same mind-set endorsed by their owners to act as a Police or Security dog. I feel reassured that these types of dogs will never be let off lead (even accidentially) where kids play or the elderly walk.

Are you frightened they might say "WOOF"?

Posted on: 2011/4/27 0:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/22 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
In 7 years in Hamilton Park I've seen this escalation every time the weather starts to warm up. Sad reality but true. Keep your guard up. Especially when you see groups on bikes.

Posted on: 2011/4/26 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like the kids throwing rocks are transplants too... Jersey folks don't miss.

Posted on: 2011/4/26 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
1 rule to living in jc
Leave before you acquire anything nice or get hit in the face by objects thrown by the natives.

Posted on: 2011/4/26 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
It's great that the local dogs in the neighborhood have the same mind-set endorsed by their owners to act as a Police or Security dog. I feel reassured that these types of dogs will never be let off lead (even accidentially) where kids play or the elderly walk.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 23:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

croft wrote:
i live downtown with a big ol' pitbull. he'd probably try and catch the rocks in his mouth if someone decided to throw rocks at me while we were walking.

Lol so true. Of the 2 dogs I have, one would chase the rocks, the other might chase the arm. I was in Enos Jones park last year and some drunk guy was talking to my wife. He was gesturing as he spoke, and every time his hand got too close, my staff/bully mix looked at him, or rather his hand, and said "WOOF".

My dog almost never barks or talks, but his message was clear - "that hand moves any closer and it's mine".

Posted on: 2011/4/24 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

croft wrote:
i live downtown with a big ol' pitbull. he'd probably try and catch the rocks in his mouth if someone decided to throw rocks at me while we were walking.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 11:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/4/24 11:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
[quote]
crushthedemoniac wrote:
Most people Downtown walk small harmless dogs. Im sorry but if Im a robber and I see you walking a pug im gonna pet it then rob you. Now if you go to other place in JC they have pitbulls, in that case your safe.

Criminals want easy targets in order to avoid jail. A dog, big or small, poses many problems that may lead to a messy crime.

Along with that, dogs are walked all hours of the day. Dog owners and walkers are the eyes and ears of the community. Like I said, we are the Neighborhood Crime Watch.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 6:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Most people Downtown walk small harmless dogs. Im sorry but if Im a robber and I see you walking a pug im gonna pet it then rob you. Now if you go to other place in JC they have pitbulls, in that case your safe.

My dogs are 95lbs+ and I live downtown. My spouse and I feel safe. And I see plenty of other downtown dogs no robber would want to mess with. Also, if you think an angry/protective pug is harmless, you have a lot to learn about dogs. Most robbers/muggers know well enough to stear clear of anyone with a dog of any size. Some of the most fiercest and most protective dogs are the small ones. For example, I wouldn't want to piss off anyone with a 15lb Jack Russell.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Moto wrote:
"From what I have witnessed in JC and other places...most thieves, robbers, muggers are simply cowards. Take your big dog with you, and even the ones with guns will leave you alone for easier pickings."

Agreed, a dog makes you less of a target for sure. And we dog owners are out walking our dogs 24/7/365. Which is why there should be more props and respect for dog owners in general. Dog owners are the Neighborhood Crime Watch, like it or not.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 12:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"From what I have witnessed in JC and other places...most thieves, robbers, muggers are simply cowards. Take your big dog with you, and even the ones with guns will leave you alone for easier pickings."

Agreed, a dog makes you less of a target for sure. And we dog owners are out walking our dogs 24/7/365. Which is why there should be more props and respect for dog owners in general. Dog owners are the Neighborhood Crime Watch, like it or not.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Or kids throwing rocks might just piss off big dogs who's owners who might have nice things.

I know my dogs - they're dumb and hard-headed enough to have run full sprint into metal benches, split their own heads open, then look around for the cause...

Thowing rocks at dogs is just stupid - it just pisses them off. And if such an injured dog decides to bite your face off, you deserve what you get imo.

From what I have witnessed in JC and other places...most thieves, robbers, muggers are simply cowards. Take your big dog with you, and even the ones with guns will leave you alone for easier pickings.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 0:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/28 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
I respectfully disagree, you don't need a dog and you can own nice things... you just have to be smart about it.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stupid_Little_Dogs wrote:
I've noticed it happening more since the gentrification began and the new population increase. I\'ve seen youth on roof tops throwing eggs and objects at people.
Don't mean to frighten or alarm anyone new to the area but this does happen.

Hey that happened to me some years ago I was riding with a bike club over in Manahttan going into the Bronx and some kids on the rooftop heaved eggs at us. And BTW better frighten and alarm then to actually experience a problem.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
2 rules to living in Downtown JC. Must have dogs and cant own nice things because they will almost always be jacked....... I have neither.

Like Bob Dylan said..."when you ain't got nothin' you got nothin' to loose"

Posted on: 2011/4/14 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
2 rules to living in Downtown JC. Must have dogs and cant own nice things because they will almost always be jacked....... I have neither.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 21:22

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017