Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pit bull rips part of scalp from skull of 12-year-old boy -- dog will be examined
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr59/nvsr59_04.pdf

I searched for dog. Didn't find one on major casues of death.

Dog bites however are a serious issue. Let me post something useful other than GP's hysteria :)

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationa ... es/dogbite-factsheet.html

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationa ... Bites/biteprevention.html

Posted on: 2011/6/22 1:31

Re: Pit bull rips part of scalp from skull of 12-year-old boy -- dog will be examined
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/6/21 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
the New York Times quoted neighbors saying the owner of the dog would train it to bite, using those padded arm protectors.
if true, then I can only shake my head at the wisdom behind keeping that guy - forget the dog - around those children.

In the inner-city world this is considered trendy.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
the New York Times quoted neighbors saying the owner of the dog would train it to bite, using those padded arm protectors.

if true, then I can only shake my head at the wisdom behind keeping that guy - forget the dog - around those children.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Boy Mauled To Death by Pit Bull in Brooklyn

By David Chiu and Katherine Creag
CBS
Saturday, May 28, 2011

Resized Image
Victim Jayelin Graham, 4, front right (inset).

A 4-year-old boy was mauled to death by a pit bull at his family?s home in Brownsville, Brooklyn last night.

The victim, Jayelin Graham, was pronounced dead on arrival at Brookdale hospital after emergency workers came to the home around 9:15 p.m., police said.

The Daily News said one witness recalled Graham?s mother wailing, ?Help! He ate my baby! He ate my baby!?

Ameer Jamaal-Uddin, the victim's great grandfather told NBC New York "What a horrible way to die. I got a lot of frustrations, emotions. Anger."

Officials said that the boy had bite wounds to the neck, head and torso. It is uncertain whether criminal charges will be filed. Neighbors said the dogs belonged to Damian Jones, also known as Dread, who is engaged to Jayelin's mother.

Amid the chaos, several people were arrested after engaging in a scuffle with the police following the attack, officials said. Witnesses contended that those detained were only trying to aid the family.

Animal control officials took away the family?s dogs, among them a pit bull and German shepherd. The family reportedly owned other pets such as parrots, a rabbit and parakeets.

Anthony Brown, a neighbor, said the animal was a known menace. "It was a violent dog,'' he said. "Dangerous. A big dog. The whole block is scared of that dog.''

A super of the building, Kenny Rishar, told the News that people were afraid of the family?s dogs.

"The dogs belong to the husband, who is seldom here. This was a tragedy waiting to happen," he said.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
those dna tests can also be pretty bogus. check out some of the tests done on purebred animals. my dog's results came back as boston terrier/bulldog dominant with jack russell and saint bernard somewhere down the line. i'd love to buy it. i can see why your dog may have been mislabeled, but then again i've seen some dogs on petfinder labeled as "labrador mixes" when they are basically tan or all black pit bulls and show not a single lab trait aside from color.

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

The simple reason why the Pit-Bull tops the cdc's list of top dangerous dogs lists, is that every unidentifiable mutt is classified a pit for the dramatic effect I've had so-called experts at LHS and other places get the id of dogs so totally wrong. I don't even own a pit. I thought I did, but a DNA test proved otherwise. Stop beating on the breed and start beating on the owners please.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 12:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The simple reason why the Pit-Bull tops the cdc's list of top dangerous dogs lists, is that every unidentifiable mutt is classified a pit for the dramatic effect I've had so-called experts at LHS and other places get the id of dogs so totally wrong. I don't even own a pit. I thought I did, but a DNA test proved otherwise. Stop beating on the breed and start beating on the owners please.

Asked and answered, see post 9 above.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Tash wrote:
this shit happens - dogs and other posessions deemed "dangerous" will hurt people....there's no way avoiding it because people are dumb and will do dumb things like NOT seriously train a pitt, rotweiler, or a german shpherd, or shoot themselves because they are playing with a loaded gun, or get hit because they are not crossing at the intersection on a busy road - list can go on. There's no cure for stupidity or willful ignorance.

Nice philosophy. I have no problem with the putz who shoots himself playing with his own gun. Darwin Award! But when he fails to secure it and his kid shoots his buddy in the head (this happens regularly), by me it breaks down. Same with dogs, somehow it seems it's always someone else that gets chewed up. Perhaps your laissez faire, libertarian approach would work if we could put down the owner instead of the dog when there's an "incident", but since we can't, common sense say we need to try to prevent the carnage instead.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
....common sense says....

well now there's your first mistake, looking for any of that.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Tash wrote:
this shit happens - dogs and other posessions deemed "dangerous" will hurt people....there's no way avoiding it because people are dumb and will do dumb things like NOT seriously train a pitt, rotweiler, or a german shpherd, or shoot themselves because they are playing with a loaded gun, or get hit because they are not crossing at the intersection on a busy road - list can go on. There's no cure for stupidity or willful ignorance.

Nice philosophy. I have no problem with the putz who shoots himself playing with his own gun. Darwin Award! But when he fails to secure it and his kid shoots his buddy in the head (this happens regularly), by me it breaks down. Same with dogs, somehow it seems it's always someone else that gets chewed up. Perhaps your laissez faire, libertarian approach would work if we could put down the owner instead of the dog when there's an "incident", but since we can't, common sense say we need to try to prevent the carnage instead.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 15:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/14 1:55
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/29 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

phDog wrote:
and btw its pretty lame that people are more apt to comment on the dog's breed than to express compassion for the kid.
hey, this is jclist ... i was expecting some of the more fanatical dog owners populating this board to demand an apology ... from the kid!

Posted on: 2011/3/26 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Rocky, the pit bull that ripped off part of 12-year-old boy's scalp in home attack on Tuesday, is being evaluated for 10 days before any decision on his future, West New York police say

Friday, March 25, 2011
By JEAN-PIERRE MESTANZA
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

WEST NEW YORK - The pit bull that attacked a 12-year-old boy and ripped a piece of his scalp off his head on Tuesday is being held at Liberty Humane animal shelter in Newark for a 10-day evaluation, officials said yesterday.

After this 10-day stretch, officials will determine what will be done with "Rocky," Police Director Al Bringa said yesterday.

On Tuesday at about 8:40 p.m., the dog attacked a 12-year-old boy in the bedroom of a 54th Street apartment. Part of the boy's scalp was ripped from his head and the boy had to undergo emergency surgery at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center in Paterson, reports said.

The boy's injuries were not life threatening, police said. His condition could not be updated last night.

Two summonses were issued to the boy's mother's boyfriend, who claimed he was taking care of the dog for a friend. One summons was for not registering the animal and the other for leaving the dog unattended, Bringa said. Police have not been able to contact the dog's owner, Bringa said.

On Wednesday, West New York police provided The Jersey Journal with a wrong address for where the incident took place and that address appeared in yesterday's newspaper. The incident actually occurred at 301 54th St., police officials said yesterday.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
and btw its pretty lame that people are more apt to comment on the dog's breed than to express compassion for the kid.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
lol @ "fighting breed style dog".

Posted on: 2011/3/25 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
Identifying the breed of a dog is a very diffcult task. Professionals get it wrong. Animal shelters get it wrong. Man on the street gets it wrong. Press and media get it wrong.

Somehow any dog with a large head is labelled a Pitbull and the breed is blamed for just about every single dog bite or fatality that occurs.

This link will give you some data to support what I am saying.

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil. ... ues/breed-identification/

I think we need to hear more before jumping to conclusions about the breed and why it bit this child.

You miss the point. No one really cares what breed it is. It's the fact that if it has the characteristics of a giant head and powerful jaws it can inflict mortal damage far beyond the capabilities of most breeds. Would you feel better if everyone said "fighting breed style dog"?

or "Fluffy"?

Posted on: 2011/3/24 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
Identifying the breed of a dog is a very diffcult task. Professionals get it wrong. Animal shelters get it wrong. Man on the street gets it wrong. Press and media get it wrong.

Somehow any dog with a large head is labelled a Pitbull and the breed is blamed for just about every single dog bite or fatality that occurs.

I think we need to hear more before jumping to conclusions about the breed and why it bit this child.

You miss the point. No one really cares what breed it is. It's the fact that if it has the characteristics of a giant head and powerful jaws it can inflict mortal damage far beyond the capabilities of most breeds. Would you feel better if everyone said "fighting breed style dog"?

Posted on: 2011/3/24 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/24 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
A toy poodle may be batshit crazy and bite 10x more often than a pitbull, but it can't literally tear your head off. What makes pits dangerous isn't the necessarily frequency of their biting relative to other dogs (though I don't really believe the apologists), it's the ability to inflict deadly harm.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sweettooth wrote:
Pitbulls have developed a bad reputation because of people who have taken advantage of the breeds loyalty & power.

Actually their bad reputation comes from the fact that they all-too-often rip up human beings.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 15:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 17:55
Group:
Registered Users
You can't blame anyone without knowing all the facts of the situation. The person watching the dog wasn't the dog's owner so he may not have known the dog that well. I know families with kids & Pitbulls and they have nothing but good things to say. I also know people with typically friendly breeds that have issues. You can't stereo type an entire breed of dog because of some evil people who have used Pitbulls for their own wrong doing. Pitbulls have developed a bad reputation because of people who have taken advantage of the breeds loyalty & power.
I wish the boy a quick recovery.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
This is yet another reason to vigilantly enforce the leash laws

Agree. But this happened inside the home.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
This is yet another reason to vigilantly enforce the leash laws

Posted on: 2011/3/24 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Here we go again........Responsible dog owner and carer, dog never did anything like this before, must be the kids fault, dog was well trained yada, yada, yada.

Dogs that bite is one thing, however pit-bulls bite, hang-on and tear whatever is in their mouth.

Pit-bulls should be banned from anywhere kids are and always have a muzzle on in public.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 7:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Pit bull rips part of scalp from skull of 12-year-old boy -- dog will be examined
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pit bull rips part of scalp from skull of West New York boy

Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 7:45 PM
By Jean-Pierre Mestanza/The Jersey Journal

WEST NEW YORK-- A 12-year-old boy's scalp was partially ripped from his skull last night after a pit bull attacked him at his 54th Street home near Palisade Avenue, cops said.

According to Police Director Al Bringa, the incident occurred at about 8:40 p.m. on Tuesday and the 12-year-old went into emergency surgery at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center in Paterson to re-attach the portion of the scalp.

The boyfriend of the 12-year-old's mother was looking after the dog for a friend, Bringa said.

Once the attacked happened, the boyfriend wrapped the boy's head in a towel and ran out the door to go to the hospital but was met by officers in a patrol car who took them to Palisades Medical Center in North Bergen, Bringa said.

The boy was then transferred to St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center for surgery and were met with cops who had transported the portion of the scalp that was ripped from his head in a bag of ice, Bringa said.

The boy's injuries were non-life threatening, Bringa said. Hospital officials would not update his condition last night.

The dog was removed from the apartment by animal control officials and will be examined, Bringa said.

Animal control officials could not be reached last night comment.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 1:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017