Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 2011 Board of Education Election - Vidya Gangadin- JC Mom for School Board!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/11 2:23
Group:
Registered Users
Being in the PTA and on School Leadership is great preparation for serving on the BOE. Parent leaders in the schools spend an incredible amount of time and effort, on the ground, improving our schools. As a parent leader Vidya fought and received school bus service for the students at Academy 1. She fought policy and was able to get the students who were forced to wait outside in inclement weather at school 38 to be let in the building early. I sit with her on the Parent Advisory Committee and have seen her hold officials accountable for the promises they make. These aren?t the things that make it into the newspaper but they improve the lives of our students.

As Parent Council President at my son?s school, I do parent outreach, tours, plan special events and carnivals. These seem like little things but in fact they go a long way towards building community and improving the schools from the ground up. Look at Sterling Waterman, in my opinion the most effective BOE member, what was his best qualification he was a PTA parent leader. He will tell you that himself.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

holdonaminute11 wrote:
Though I was not voting for Ms. Gangadin, I will now, just not to see another politically back candidate/puppet get in.

But Vidya is a Levin back(ed) candidate/puppet.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 19:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/22 14:56
Group:
Registered Users
@ecinjc, I guess you are making a habit out of being unresponsive. I at least have told you I've read the article and am unimpressed. If you're such a fan, don't tell me to read something that's full of generalities, please get specific about Vidya's accomplishments. If you know her so well, and if she will not answer for herself, tell us...

"She knows the most about what is going on on the ground floor and has already fought for change."

For someone who knows "the most," there's an amazing lack of detail.

For someone who's "already fought for change," I haven't heard exactly what she's fought for and what she's done.

Please just tell me and I'll stop bugging you! I don't understand how you can expect to earn peoples' votes by dodging simple questions!!!

Posted on: 2011/4/23 19:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are no camps here. Vidya?s team is entirely made up of parents with their kids in the LOCAL public school system. Many, like myself, are parent leaders at their schools. That is our camp and our team. I personally like Steven Fulop and think he has done a lot for Ward E. I just know Vidya, I sit with her on two different parent leadership boards. She is smart, active and involved. I have had a chance to interview all of the candidates and from my perspective she is the best. She knows the most about what is going on on the ground floor and has already fought for change. Please read the JC independent article, she gives more detail on her background and views than most of the other candidates. I think you will be impressed.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 19:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:26
Group:
Registered Users
This support for Ms. Gangadin is very curious to me. In reviewing her background she doesn't seem to possess any special qualifications for the job. Working in the financial industry means nothing. It's a whole different world in the public sector.

Mr. Levin and his group seem intent on pushing her. Does this indicate a rift between the Fulop and Levin camps? It certainly seems clear that Mr. Fulop is a winner and Mr. Levin is not.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 19:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@ecinjc, I did read the JCI article, and that's why I'm asking. Vidya's responses had the sound of generic answers from someone who cannot demonstrate that they've really done their homework. She talks about evaluating shared services - but is she aware of what services are already shared, or what budget lines have the potential for savings through sharing? A financial analyst should have already looked at these.

There are ample details to focus on in the district's audits (2007 KPMG audit plus annual fiscal audits) - but Vidya doesn't mention any of these.

Moreover, her answer didn't address the BUDGET at all except in the vaguest of terms. "The budget must support the goals and objectives of our school system." C'mon... a financial analyst should be able to say something about how THIS budget does or doesn't support the goals and objectives of our school system.

You can keep telling me how great she is, but all I'm really looking for is some specifics about her financial analysis of school operations and budget. You're the ones claiming this is her core strength and one of the major assets she brings to the board, so it seems reasonable to expect that this is a place where she can and should demonstrate her ability.

So my question should be a pretty easy one to deal with. Or at least explain why it's unreasonable to expect her to answer.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 18:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Please see Vidya's JC independent interview for specifics her answers are quite detailed..

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... nd-carol-harrison-arnold/

Posted on: 2011/4/23 17:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Whether she can or not, I'm interested in what she can do if she does.

In her reply to the Jersey City Independent, Vidya says "I would personally analyze it line-by-line to account for every dollar..."

Over a week ago I asked her or her supporters - who started this thread - to please say what's her financial analysis of the budget.

It's been out for several weeks and I haven't heard anything from her other than that it's too complicated, and we should not cut money to the classrooms. I'd expect more from someone who says she understands what's happening in the schools and is a skilled financial analyst.

Even though she's campaigning, I'd like to see a down payment on that campaign promise to analyze the budget. If that's a core skill, she could have brought some analysis of last year's budget to this campaign. That would have been good preparation for understanding whatever the administration put out this year.

I'd also expect her or her supporters to try to answer an honest question. At least the Fulop guys are responsive.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 17:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is a small local election, I believe Carol Lester won last year with less than 5000 votes. Vidya can absolutely win. Sometimes saying a candidate can't win is just a tactic, like it was used by Hillary Clinton, when she said Obama couldn't win in the 2008 election. YES WE CAN! Go Vidya:)

Posted on: 2011/4/23 14:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/25 1:38
Group:
Registered Users
Someone please tell Ms. Gangadin and her team that Mr. Fulop and his team do not think she can or will win as said by someone who calls themselves "whatwhat" mentioned on another post.
They seem to think a vote for Ms. Gangadin is a wasted vote.
Though I was not voting for Ms. Gangadin, I will now, just not to see another politically back candidate/puppet get in.

Vote Nabil Youssef 6a & Vidya Gangadin 7a. Independent, already public school advocates and with no strings attached.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 3:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... d_as_an_advocate_sch.html

Experienced as an advocate: school board candidate's letter
Published: Friday, April 22, 2011, 1:28 PM Updated: Friday, April 22, 2011, 1:28 PM

The Jersey City school board needs a trustee who is a true stakeholder with a first-hand perspective of our school's challenges and true experience taking on these challenges within our schools. I am running for the board because I am the candidate best qualified for this position. Indeed our schools face tremendous challenges -- the majority of them have been given a failing grade based on standardized testing results, our high school graduation rate is below 70 percent and we have a top heavy bureaucracy that lacks transparency and accountability.

At the same time, the voice of the parent -- the true stakeholder -- has gone unheard. Each morning, parents send their children to school with concerns about whether their child is being challenged academically, is in a safe environment and is healthy.

As a parent of four children (and 13 nieces and nephews) in Jersey City public schools, I empathize with what families experience in our schools every day. I know the frustration of parents whose children are being bullied, are languishing academically or have unhealthy conditions in their schools.

Moreover, my current experience working as a parent leader and volunteer in our schools has provided me with the opportunity to actively take on our schools' challenges. As a PTA vice president, I work with parents on student activities. On our School Leadership Committee, I work with our principal and lead teachers on schoolwide concerns and implement new initiatives. As a member of the Citywide Parent Advisory Council, I advocate for our students and our school at regular meetings with our superintendent, Dr. Epps. And as a member of the JC Coalition of Parent Teacher Organizations, I collaborate with other parent leaders from across our public schools to share resources, information and advocate for reform on a district-wide level.

As a member of the Board of Education, I will use my experience advocating in our schools and over 20 years of work as a financial analyst and operations manager to implement checks and balances on administrative authority, set goals, objectives and benchmarks, cut administrative costs and redirect resources to the classroom. I will avoid teacher layoffs, protect class sizes, implement the necessary resources to help parents support their children's learning and empower our teachers with site-based decision making.

I am a mom, not a politician. I've done the ground work and ask for your vote on April 27 so I may be a voice for our children on the Board of Education.

VIDYA GANGADIN
JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2011/4/22 19:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... nance_professional_l.html

Elect a finance professional: letter
Published: Wednesday, April 20, 2011, 6:20 AM
Letters to the Editor/The Jersey Journal By Letters to the Editor/The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
Follow

As a parent of two public school children, taxpayer, homeowner and longtime advocate for good government policies, I am asking the voters of Jersey City to support Vidya Gangadin, 7A, for the Jersey City Board of Education.

Our schools face tremendous challenges with failing test scores, low high school graduation rates and a top heavy bureaucracy forcing teacher layoffs. Every day, parents send their children to school with concerns that their child is being challenged academically, is in a safe environment, and is healthy. Taxpayers are concerned about their increasing burden due to continued reductions in state aid and misguided tax abatement practices.

Why Vidya?

Vidya Gangadin is a finance professional and active parent with four children attending public schools.

Vidya has worked as financial analyst and operations manager with experience managing budgets, reviewing and bidding out goods and services, identifying operational efficiencies and improvements, prioritizing the utilization of limited resources and implementing best practices. She understands the need to seek out and cut costs while protecting critical core classroom resources, maintaining class size and finding alternatives to teacher layoffs.

She is a parent leader and volunteer serving as a PTA vice president, on the Citywide Advisory Council, the School Leadership Committee and Jersey City Coalition of Parent Teacher Organizations. Vidya is a true stakeholder with a first-hand perspective and experience in tackling the challenges within our schools.

Vidya Gangadin will serve as a necessary voice for the parents, grandparents and caregivers of the 28,000 children who attend public school in Jersey City. She will stand for her children, my children and yours.

Vote 7-A for Mom!

DANIEL LEVIN
ONEJERSEYCITY.ORG
JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2011/4/21 2:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/1 17:19
Group:
Registered Users
guess i hit a nerve, eh paulbellan-boyer and bright moment?

though i don't know ms gangadin well, i know she will be a good boe member for several reasons, one being, she is not a product of your machine or someone's puppet.

and though she is not "my candidate" i and many others will be voting for her.

my opinion is strictly my opinion.

one thing is certain, I speak independently and NOT with one brain using the company line like the rest of you stepford wives.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PaulBellan-Boyer wrote:
Is this really the quality of your supporters, Ms. Gangadin? Anonymous smears?

facials11, give me a call (201-238-5987) or email me (pbellanboy@aol.com). Let's walk through Ward F together so we can see exactly who's known in the ward. Carol's record is unimpeachable - which is precisely why you cast vague smears. How many Ward F (or any other ward) blocks have you helped revitalize? I know someone has been spreading rumors about her professional qualifications. What exactly are you "unclear" about? Just as she says, she is an attorney specializing in insurance, frequently called as an expert witness in her field.

But let's not just trade claims. Call the Office of Attorney Ethics 609-530-4008. Option 2 gives disciplinary history: admitted to bar 1988, no complaints ever filed, no disciplinary matters ever. Period. Licensing 609-292-8079 says she is an active member of the NJ Bar.

Marvin Adames devotes his volunteer time to helping kids stay out of the court system, and I'll bet he knows the Jersey City schools better than you do. I have heard him talk in substance about the JERSEY CITY schools. Although, last time I checked, our system and the Newark system look pretty similar in performance, in bloat, in budgets, in student population, and in their challenges.

In my opinion, Sue Mack is also a strong candidate because of her experience. You may not like every one of her votes, but she does have a record for responsiveness to the ordinary people of Jersey City, and she is really good at helping others navigate the byzantine labyrinths of the Board's bureaucracy.

facials11, if you want to talk about pigeons, put your own credentials out there. Whose coop do you roost in? And if you reply, have the guts to sign your real name to your attempts at character assassination.

Is that toast I smell burning?

Dan and pchops, I agree with you that your candidate has good qualifications, however we need those who can serve by working with others on the board and not just be the "Vote For the Mom" candidate, but serve all the children, some who are dads, some raised by their grandmothers, aunts or cousins and some, from Katrina's damage who live here with strangers become friends.

I think you two, Dan and pcjops, post positive reasons to vote for your candidate. However, facials11 is a classic example of how supporters can become your own worst enemy. Those with hidden political agendas such as convicted Mayor Gerald McCann, posting under hidden avatars and other supporters who cannot face the transparency that Paul Bellan-Boyer brings. My suggestion is you point out to "facials11" ,if you know her/him, let them know how badly their slurs and smears only reflect badly on this corrupt way of deceiving voters.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 18:51
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
Is this really the quality of your supporters, Ms. Gangadin? Anonymous smears?

facials11, give me a call (201-238-5987) or email me (pbellanboy@aol.com). Let's walk through Ward F together so we can see exactly who's known in the ward. Carol's record is unimpeachable - which is precisely why you cast vague smears. How many Ward F (or any other ward) blocks have you helped revitalize? I know someone has been spreading rumors about her professional qualifications. What exactly are you "unclear" about? Just as she says, she is an attorney specializing in insurance, frequently called as an expert witness in her field.

But let's not just trade claims. Call the Office of Attorney Ethics 609-530-4008. Option 2 gives disciplinary history: admitted to bar 1988, no complaints ever filed, no disciplinary matters ever. Period. Licensing 609-292-8079 says she is an active member of the NJ Bar.

Marvin Adames devotes his volunteer time to helping kids stay out of the court system, and I'll bet he knows the Jersey City schools better than you do. I have heard him talk in substance about the JERSEY CITY schools. Although, last time I checked, our system and the Newark system look pretty similar in performance, in bloat, in budgets, in student population, and in their challenges.

In my opinion, Sue Mack is also a strong candidate because of her experience. You may not like every one of her votes, but she does have a record for responsiveness to the ordinary people of Jersey City, and she is really good at helping others navigate the byzantine labyrinths of the Board's bureaucracy.

facials11, if you want to talk about pigeons, put your own credentials out there. Whose coop do you roost in? And if you reply, have the guts to sign your real name to your attempts at character assassination.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

facials11 wrote:
many of the posters here on jclist seem to think that the "mayor in waiting" backed candidates are strong. this is your right and maybe they are. but what is strong?

is it because the councilman is well known (downtown) and ward e people will vote for a pigeon if he endorsed it?

Vidya, why so angry? Run your race and don't worry about the rest. Let Dan sling the mud for you.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 15:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
many of the posters here on jclist seem to think that the "mayor in waiting" backed candidates are strong. this is your right and maybe they are. but what is strong?

is it because the councilman is well known (downtown) and ward e people will vote for a pigeon if he endorsed it?

or is it because one of them is a relative unknown from the city of newark (the same city that boasts vouchers) , whose profession is to lock up youths and who speaks very well but on what real issues that affect our schools? that knows absolutely nothing about jersey city and its schools except what is being forced fed. has this person seen in the inside of any school other than a campaign forum? where is the substance? is this what makes a strong candidate?

or is it because another one of them, who hails from ward f though, is not known there by many? that is also a very good speaker but seemly has little appeal with many in her own community. that has a profession that is still unclear? that has been more of charter school parent and advocate in the city of hoboken than anything done in jc? does this person truly know the problems that plague our schools or the school in another town? where is the substance? is this what makes a strong candidate?

or that the 3rd person on the ticket is a 15 -20yr vet of the boe who has just as much claim to FAILURE as mr. epps himself, if not more? what does this person have to show for all of the years spent on the boe? where is the accountabilty? is this what makes a strong candidate?

or is that the teacher's union endorsed all 3 of fulop's candidates without the benefit of interviewing or meeting with any of the other 7 candidates which I understand has been a standing process. is this what makes them strong candidates because of this group's sudden clairvoyance
or is it that some of our fabulous tabloids have seen fit to only give print to the anointed ones.
Just wondering!!
Vote Gangadin & Yousef! Go for what you know

Posted on: 2011/4/13 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Is Sue Mack, Healy's twin sister ?

Posted on: 2011/4/13 7:29
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi. I'm brand new here but I have two questions.

First, an earlier poster said "Vidya Gangadin is a financial analyst. I've seen her look at BOE Budget and quickly point out areas of contention."

What are those? Her literature and web campaign don't include any specifics, and I haven't heard any reported from her forum answers. What areas or items of the BOE budget does Ms. Gangadin think need the most critical attention, and as a Board member, what would she do about those? What's her plan to bring about change in the budget?

Second, one of the primary qualifications she and her supporters have been citing is her role as VP of the PTA at Academy I Middle School and as member of the PTO at PS 38. How long has she been part of those organizations and what are her accomplishments as a parent-advocate?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/4/12 23:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/2 14:56
Group:
Registered Users
Facials11

I did pick that one point because it seems that more and more these days people with a "Financial" background are made out to be superior to others. Of course our society rewards them with pay as though they are 100s to 1000s of times more valuable then other working people in society. Of course when they destroy the world economy with their short sighted greed not one goes to jail. Of course they can fail miserably at their jobs and not get fired. But people with a financial background aren't really better. Their skills only serve greed not our children.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
I'm kind of with some of the other viewpoints here. After going to the forum the other night I thought definitely yes to Marvin and Carol from the Fulop people. They both are just clearly strong. I just don't know about my third vote. For me it is between three people:

Ms Gangadin - Frankly she would easily be my 3rd pick if it weren't for the whole voting thing. I personally find that issue concerning when someone only votes in 1 election in 8 years, makes me wary of motives. However, I am not sure how much I care about her motives if she has good financial services experience that would be helpful on the board (given the huge budget.)

Mr Yousef - I think he is actually really smart and would be that voice that would offer truly different and insightful viewpoints. Unfortunately I hold no hope that he will actually get elected, so I go back and forth with wanting to "waste" my vote.

Ms Khan - She was a little too strong out of the gate and needed to chill a bit, but her intentions and passion seem genuine and I think sometimes people like that are exactly what you need. I bet people said the same thing about Fulop when he was fresh. I just wonder if she is "too" fresh.

I will attend the next forum and hopefully things will be more clear.

As an aside, how come NOT ONE candidate logs on and responds to this site? Everyone knows they are all reading it...

Posted on: 2011/4/11 0:57

~~~BOE time commitment for a mother of 4 working full time

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/13 15:03
Group:
Registered Users
A full-time working professional mom with four young children, that's a tall order! I would like to know where she'll find the time to commit to a Board of Ed position? It would be great if she would take the time to reply here. muchas gracias!

Posted on: 2011/4/10 23:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I spoken with Vidya at length about her opinion of Dr. Epps and she is NOT a supporter. Vidya believes that we need to have a nationwide search for superintendent. Her thinking is in line with Board Members Sterling Waterman and Carol Lester. Any candidate that says anything different is misrepresenting her viewpoint.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 20:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/21 20:45
Group:
Registered Users
It's ironic that I found this message. I attended the debate at P.S. 16 and came to the same conclusion. I would vote for two Fulop candidates and Vidya.

When I shared this with someone who is running the response was she supports Epps. My response was, it's your job as a Board Member, if your elected, to bring opposing sides together. I'm sure when you explain why the current Superintendent does not work to the benefit of the children she will reconsider her position, if that is her position. I don't know who she supports. What I know is that there is always room for movement and a need for financial expertise.

She has a much needed skill set which is her financial background. The School Board is lacking in the required professionals needed to review an extensive budget and isolate the unnecessary waste I feel certain is pervasive.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 15:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
wbcotter,
interesting how you chose to focus on one of the many aspects of what makes ms. gangadin not just a very good candidate but possibly the best.

what have you to say about the fact that she is a parent of 4, first and has been involved in all of her children's schools before she decided to run for the boe.

that she joined the citywide parents advisory group to keep abreast and relay to other parents and community people, the happenings of the boe

that she decided to run for vp of her pta, and be part of other ptas (38 school) when there are more parents choosing NOT to get involved.

that she joined with other members of pto/pta to become bigger partners with the boe, in pushing across achievement for all children, because there is strength in numbers.

that she has been ever-present and didn't appear out of nowhere.

that she advocates strictly for traditional public schools and has no other agenda or thought processes elsewhere.

that she is independent and no one would wonder or speculate as to why or for whose best interest she voted, if she were elected.

as a parent of a child in #27 school, I find these particular traits much more appealing to what we parents need not just in a candidate for the boe but a boe member.

we parents need someone that can feel our pain, associate with the issues that we all face with this administration and has access to fix these issues. not "appointed" people with great jobs and unrelated backgrounds and unknown agendas, who speak well yet don't resonate with the most affected people in this election.....PARENTS.

GO VIDYA!!!!!

Posted on: 2011/4/10 14:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/2 14:56
Group:
Registered Users
"Vidya Gangadin is a financial analyst. I've seen her look at BOE Budget and quickly point out areas of contention. I've seen her among all the other parents who work full time and still find the time to go the School meetings and discuss similar problems and solutions. She is the ONLY candidate with a financial background."

Gerald McCann had a financial background . . .he used it while on the BOE to steal from the taxpayers again by getting his old accounting firm in charge of the budget. People with financial backgrounds ruined the economy of this country with their greed. Cathie Black had a financial back ground but she couldn't hack the job as Ed Chancellor for even 100 days . . .

Having a financial background doesn't seem like such a plus to me PCHop

Posted on: 2011/4/10 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Hello! I am a parent of 3 children and Parent Council Member at PS#5.

I am supporting Vidya Gangadin. She is a mother of 4 children who attend County Tech High, Academy 1, and PS#38. I met her through the Jersey City Coalition of Parent Teacher Organizations who meet monthly to share school issues like security, funding, curriculum, etc. She is Vice President of Parent Council at Academy 1. Note, that most McNair High School students come from Academy 1 due to its Advanced and Enrichment Program. And she serves in the Parent Advisory Council of Board of Education where she is part of the dialogue with the Board of Education staff. She is unlike many of the other candidates, they can count on one hand how many times they have attended a BOE meeting.

TEAM Fulop developed an interview process for all people who wanted to run for Board of Education. This process consisted of committee members with diverse backgrounds to select 3 candidates who would serve Jersey City families' best interests. I have the highest respect for these dedicated, unpaid community volunteers. The process was open to all people. Unfortunately, Vidya Gangadin was too late to interview. I believe that if Vidya had the chance to interview, TEAM FULOP would have selected her as one of their three. I am voting for Vidya and 2 of candidates from the TEAM FULOP slate.

I will attend the next BOE forum, Kids meet the Candidates, at Ferris High School on Wednesday, April 13th at 6pm. I hope you will too! We will have students from various schools asking the candidates the questions.

Vidya Gangadin is a financial analyst. I've seen her look at BOE Budget and quickly point out areas of contention. I've seen her among all the other parents who work full time and still find the time to go the School meetings and discuss similar problems and solutions. She is the ONLY candidate with a financial background.

As a result and because I have seen her in action, I believe that Vidya is the best candidate.

Thanks for reading!

Posted on: 2011/4/9 21:23

VOTE FOR MOM 7A
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Vidya proved last night that she is the strongest candidate in the field. We encourage anyone who has any doubts to come and see for yourself.

Jersey City Coalition of Parent/Teacher Organizations Candidate Forum: Wednesday, April 13 from 6 to 8 pm; at Ferris High School (35 Colgate Street).

Posted on: 2011/4/9 12:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Vidya,
I wish you the best of luck. I am certain you will be great addition to the BOE and become an asset to the future success of our children.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Vidya Gangadin - #7a
Jersey City Board of Education Candidate Statement

The Jersey City School Board needs a trustee who is a true stakeholder with a first-hand perspective of our school?s challenges and true experience taking on these challenges within our schools. I am running for the board because I am the candidate best qualified for this position.

Indeed our schools face tremendous challenges ? the majority of them have been given a failing grade based on standardized testing results, our high school graduation rate is below 70% and we have a top heavy bureaucracy that lacks transparency and accountability.

At the same time, the voice of the parent -- the true stakeholder -- has gone unheard. Each morning, parents send their children to school with concerns about whether their child is being challenged academically, is in a safe environment and is healthy.

As a member of the Jersey City Board of Education, I will take on our school?s challenges and provide a voice for the parents, grandparents and caregivers of the 28,000 children who attend public school in Jersey City.

As a parent of four children (and 13 nieces and nephews) in Jersey City public schools, I am a true stakeholder who sees and empathizes with what families experience in our schools everyday. I know the frustration of parents whose children are being bullied, are languishing academically or have unhealthy conditions in their schools.

Moreover, my current experience working as a parent leader and volunteer in our schools has provided me with the opportunity to actively take on our school?s challenges. As a PTA vice president, I work with parents on student activities. On our School Leadership Committee, I work with our principal and lead teachers on school-wide concerns and implement new initiatives. As a member of the Citywide Parent Advisory Council, I advocate for our students and our school at regular meetings with our superintendent, Dr. Epps. And as a member of the JC Coalition of Parent Teacher Organizations, I collaborate with other parent leaders from across our public schools to share resources, information and advocate for reform on a district-wide level.

As a member of the Jersey City Board of Education, I will refer to my first-hand perspective, my experience advocating in our schools and over 20 years of work as a financial analyst and operations manager to implement checks and balances on administrative authority, set goals, objectives and benchmarks, cut administrative costs and redirect resources to the classroom, avoid teacher layoffs, protect class sizes, implement the necessary resources to help parents support their children?s learning and empower our teachers with site-based decision making.

Yes, our schools face tough challenges. As such, we need a candidate who is a stakeholder with the demonstrated experience, fortitude and an uncompromised agenda to take these challenges on. I am a mom, not a politician. I?ve done the ground work and ask for your vote on April 27th so I may be a voice for our children as a trustee on the Jersey City Board of Education.

- Vidya Gangadin

Posted on: 2011/4/6 22:31

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017