Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Hoboken may shift St. Patrick's Parade to clamp down on drinking, lewd behavior and crime
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
Brewster,

Don't get me wrong, I think Mason is insane as well - they all are. And yes, any office-holder in Hudson Country has to deal with crazy stuff.

And as for taxes being lowered? I don't know anyone in Hoboken that's seen taxes get lowered (unless they've appealed their property evals).

Other things that irk me about her rule - appointing people to paid positions after not posting a job listing for the job Blowing the contract renewal for the city vehicles. The HUMC debaucle. Not firing the Parking Authority head after he was involved in assaulting a townsperson. Allowing the scumbag cops involved with the Mardi Gras photo scandal to remain on payroll for years collecting money, then allowing giant retirement payouts....

She's over her head and doesnt have the grace to admit it. If you want to be a politician in an important spot like Hoboken, you need tact, and a spine, and the ability to conduct yourself gracefully in the face of adversity. She does not.

And as for her being supported by the citizens of Hoboken... well, they actually supported Cammarino, until he went to jail. Then she took over. Remember, coming in Second Place just means you are the first loser!

Have a good day!

All of those issues are way more complicated than simply "she did this or didn't do that". The HUMC in particular was a struggle against involved parties who couldn't realize they would have no hospital at all if they got their way. Things do seem to go much smoother when the city officials just give away the store to the special interests, which is how Hoboken was traditionally run, and JC still is.

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... s-elections-to-November-?
Quote:
Budget includes tax cut

The council adopted a $106 million municipal budget, which the administration says will provide an approximate 8 percent tax decrease compared to last year.

Councilman Peter Cunningham said the budget, which maintains a 5 percent budget surplus, ?puts the city on a sound fiscal basis that we haven?t seen in a long time.?

BTW, she won the special mayoral election held after she became acting Mayor.

Posted on: 2012/3/6 16:35

Re: Hoboken may shift St. Patrick's Parade to clamp down on drinking, lewd behavior and crime
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster,

Don't get me wrong, I think Mason is insane as well - they all are. And yes, any office-holder in Hudson Country has to deal with crazy stuff.

And as for taxes being lowered? I don't know anyone in Hoboken that's seen taxes get lowered (unless they've appealed their property evals).

Other things that irk me about her rule - appointing people to paid positions after not posting a job listing for the job Blowing the contract renewal for the city vehicles. The HUMC debaucle. Not firing the Parking Authority head after he was involved in assaulting a townsperson. Allowing the scumbag cops involved with the Mardi Gras photo scandal to remain on payroll for years collecting money, then allowing giant retirement payouts....

She's over her head and doesnt have the grace to admit it. If you want to be a politician in an important spot like Hoboken, you need tact, and a spine, and the ability to conduct yourself gracefully in the face of adversity. She does not.

And as for her being supported by the citizens of Hoboken... well, they actually supported Cammarino, until he went to jail. Then she took over. Remember, coming in Second Place just means you are the first loser!

Have a good day!

Posted on: 2012/3/6 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Wow. At least the Capn is specific, though I'll bet there's a lot more to that incident, it was likely the end of a long story. She DID cut taxes, you must have missed it. But Ian has nothing specific, just a litany that sounds like it originates from the HPD. She played tough and they didn't like that at all.

I've been as specific as I will get, but not as specific as I can get. I assure you my feelings have nothing to do with the HPD negotiations.

She'll be one and done. The Anyone But Zimmer crowd only gets bigger.

Posted on: 2012/3/6 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Wow. At least the Capn is specific, though I'll bet there's a lot more to that incident, it was likely the end of a long story. She DID cut taxes, you must have missed it. But Ian has nothing specific, just a litany that sounds like it originates from the HPD. She played tough and they didn't like that at all.

Part of her "tone" trouble is that she has to respond to the craziest shit coming from the Mason camp, it would make anyone combative. It's a no win, as Obama has found. If you don't engage, you're meek, if you do, you're combative. Especially for a woman. Frankly, she's been restrained given the amount of shit flung her way.

So far, her camp is winning the elections, despite the Mason vote-buying in the projects that set a record for $/vote. Do you want to bet whether she gets re-elected by the part of the populace that can figure out a balance sheet and isn't on a union payroll? Check out her ELEC report, she's supported by citizens of Hoboken, not out of town contractors and developers. That's who's votes for her.

Posted on: 2012/3/6 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
totally agree with IanMac... Zimmer is not only in over her head, and out of her league, but she hasn't come thru on any of her campain promises, including, but not limited to, transparancy in gov't, budget cutting, etc.

She's also a scumbag. She came to a Mass at St Anne's which was in honor of fireman and policemen, and afterwards began berating our pastor in front of the entire congregation because he didn't thank her by name at the Mass. (he had thanked officials who were there, but didn't name any indivdual name, as it was for the cops and firemen, and not a political event)....

Not to mention that she obviously hates us Irish people......

Posted on: 2012/3/5 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Ian, at least we can agree Mason is batshit crazy. You still haven't said specifically what Zimmer has done that you think she is a "shitty mayor".

Unprofessional, un-statesmanlike, combative, antagonistic and not pragmatic in her approach. She is mired in inexperience. As a councilperson, being combative and antagonistic is fine and sometimes even necessary. But as an executive position, diplomacy is far more effective. Or alternatively, its one thing to be a bully and bellicose along the lines of Chris Christie, but only if you can deliver.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
I agree with Brewster as for the evaluation of a majority of demo for the changes in Hoboken's landscape over the past two decades....

Vigilante - I agree somewhat - but don't agree that the "majority" of Jersey City is heading in the same direction as Hoboken... I think much of the downtown is swinging in that direction, but leave that immediate area and much of the city remains, and will remain the same for a few more generations (in my opinion)....

Zactly. When yuppie Hoboken still struggles against the bad old ways, JC has a long way to go outside of Downtown. Just look at our other councilmembers. That's why I said Connors will be our next mayor, he's the HCDO prince.

Ian, at least we can agree Mason is batshit crazy. You still haven't said specifically what Zimmer has done that you think she is a "shitty mayor".

Posted on: 2012/3/5 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Brewster as for the evaluation of a majority of demo for the changes in Hoboken's landscape over the past two decades....

Vigilante - I agree somewhat - but don't agree that the "majority" of Jersey City is heading in the same direction as Hoboken... I think much of the downtown is swinging in that direction, but leave that immediate area and much of the city remains, and will remain the same for a few more generations (in my opinion)....

Posted on: 2012/3/5 17:21

Re: Lepre-Con in Hoboken Today - Don't Jay-walk!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The only Hoboken politician less connected to reality than Dawn Zimmer is Beth Mason. Like the stuff coming out of Mason's mouth has absolutely no connection with the world around her. So yes, I guess if your point of reference is Beth Mason, Dawn Zimmer is pretty good. Personally I think standards should be higher than "Not as crazy as batshit crazy."

Posted on: 2012/3/5 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I think Zimmer was right to try and tone this event down by cancelling the parade. Of course the party went on but it's better if the resources can be solely directed at dealing with the drunken bozos and generating revenue by handing out tickets. Sadly, this seems to be the future that many JC folks imagine for us as they cry for more and more bars. Fact is Hoboken and Jersey City are becoming more and more geared toward young families. Was a time when once a kid hit school age the family was off to Montclair or Maplewood. Not anymore, times have changed so get ready for toddlers and family-friendly restaurants.

Exactly so. The arc for Hoboken has been from a working class family place, to a yuppie 20 something place, to a place where those 20 somethings are now 30-50 somethings who stayed and had kids, pay taxes, vote, and want the place run like grownups are in charge, not as a patronage mill or muni union thrall. This has appalled those remnants of the 1st group who liked it when the young yuppies didn't challenge their rule.

The most amazing part of Hoboken politics is that the leader of the Zimmer opposition is Beth Mason, who started as a reformer also. When she lost the race for mayor she threw out any ideals she had in common with Dawn, and now has united with the old guard element she originally opposed and uses her husbands millions for the sole purpose taking down Dawn so she can be Mayor.

Cable is missing a major reality TV opportunity in Hoboken politics. It's like The Wire with strollers, green beer & chardonnay.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I think Zimmer was right to try and tone this event down by cancelling the parade. Of course the party went on but it's better if the resources can be solely directed at dealing with the drunken bozos and generating revenue by handing out tickets. Sadly, this seems to be the future that many JC folks imagine for us as they cry for more and more bars. Fact is Hoboken and Jersey City are becoming more and more geared toward young families. Was a time when once a kid hit school age the family was off to Montclair or Maplewood. Not anymore, times have changed so get ready for toddlers and family-friendly restaurants.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 4:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sussexst wrote:
Hoboken411 has the police blotter (with editorializing) on their page. Things are picking up steam as the day goes along for sure:

3:50pm: Unconscious broad at 401 First Street. I guess that?s considered ?voluntary passing out??

Be careful out there people!

Hoboken411

Did the blotter really say "unconscious broad"????

Posted on: 2012/3/5 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The best intentions don't excuse gross incompetence.

You simply have no clue what you're talking about. Dawn & her people have acted like grownups after decades of pandering, payoffs and pillaging. I'm sure that the true Hobokener and jailbird Mayor Cammarano would never have interfered with the St Paddy drunks, he was more interested in green in his wallet than green beer vomit in the streets. Tradition!

Posted on: 2012/3/4 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The best intentions don't excuse gross incompetence.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
A bad situation made worse by a shit mayor. This should go down in a manual of "how not to handle party revelers." Zimmer's crazy eyes aren't going to help her out of this one.

"A shit mayor"!? You're a perfect example of why normal competent people with only the public good as motivation stay the hell out of politics. We should be so lucky as to get someone as honest and straightforward as Dawn for mayor. I've known her since long before she ran for office, and she did so out of disgust for the corrupt and incompetent way her city was being run.

Her problem is the "born and raised" citizens don't have a clue what to make of someone who does what she thinks is right and really doesn't care whether her political career continues, and doesn't play the regular corruption game. It's "shit citizens" like you that insure our politics stay in the gutter with hyperbole, tunnel vision and absurd personal attacks. Our next mayor will probably be Sean Connors, a machine tool without an independent thought in his head. I bet he's your man.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, Perry seems to think that the incidents this year was much less than it was last year. Not sure why people are bashing Mayor Zimmer for trying to put a stop to an out of control situation. At least she's trying to do something.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
A bad situation made worse by a shit mayor. This should go down in a manual of "how not to handle party revelers." Zimmer's crazy eyes aren't going to help her out of this one.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Amateur hour(s).

http://hoboken411.com/

Posted on: 2012/3/4 0:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/6 17:42
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken411 has the police blotter (with editorializing) on their page. Things are picking up steam as the day goes along for sure:

3:56pm: Beer can tossed off roof ? hits Hoboken Police officer in head at 808 Washington Street. What a great party, LepreCon organizers!

3:50pm: Unconscious broad at 401 First Street. I guess that?s considered ?voluntary passing out??

3:28pm: Bottles flying outside of windows at 1st & Washington. Hey, that?s right near City Hall! Where?s the Mayor?

Be careful out there people!

Hoboken411

Posted on: 2012/3/3 21:06

Lepre-Con in Hoboken Today - Don't Jay-walk!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Just a quick reminder that Lepre-Con is in full swing in Hoboken today. As a heads up, cops are giving tickets with HUGE fines for any enforceable violation including open containers, public urination, intoxication, and even jay-walking.

Posted on: 2012/3/3 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Hahaha, now they will have THREE days of unruly behavior, March 3rd, March 14th and March 17th.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/2/17 12:57
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I somehow doubt the bar owners, pizzeria owners, burger joint owners, and nearly every other business that profits from the parade will let this whole thing stand. Its like Black Friday for beer and greasy food.

Not to mention with the 250+ citations, the municipality had a potential earning of $500,000.

I suspect either the city will revisit the issue before next year or the bars will promote a St. Patrick's Day celebration sans parade. No one will probably even notice that there isn't a parade.

Seems like I was right.

The Lepre-Con (Leper-con, perhaps?) now has 13,000 "confirmed" attendees on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/events/168407403264568/

While Hoboken is considering an attempt to prohibit bars from opening before 11, that probably will just mean more house parties and unsupervised drinking before the bars even open.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
2 men bloodied in separate assaults in Hoboken on Saturday

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hoboken police responded to several scenes of domestic violence, simple assault and unruly house parties Saturday.

At 3:27 p.m., police responded to 254 Sixth St. on a report of a fight and found a 23-year-old Metuchen man with blood coming from his nose, left eye, and behind his right ear, reports said. A witness told police she saw three men wearing green T-shirts punch and kick the victim.

At 4:34 p.m., police were dispatched to an apartment building on the 1000 block of Clinton Street and found the glass door to the building had been smashed and a West Caldwell manhad been assaulted at a house party in the building.

Kevin McMillan, 22, of Bloomfield, was charged with criminal mischief for smashing the glass door, and Alexander Santucci, 25, of Cedar Grove, was charged in the assault.

KATIE COLANERI

Posted on: 2011/3/10 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The Sat parade makes huge money for businesses on and near Washington Street, no white chick with her acoustic guitar is going to change that, irrespective of arrest stats, Zimmer landed her role mostly by luck offf the back of the Fed scandal. Moving one of Hoboken's biggest parties of the year, from Sat to Wed, will kill her with the college/youth vote imo. She might be dumb enough to do it though.,

I truly doubt that the college/youth population vote in local politics. I would venture to guess that a lot of them don't even know who the mayor of Hoboken is.

agreed.
I doubt that even 10% of the post college crowd are registered there.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The Sat parade makes huge money for businesses on and near Washington Street, no white chick with her acoustic guitar is going to change that, irrespective of arrest stats, Zimmer landed her role mostly by luck offf the back of the Fed scandal. Moving one of Hoboken's biggest parties of the year, from Sat to Wed, will kill her with the college/youth vote imo. She might be dumb enough to do it though.,

I truly doubt that the college/youth population vote in local politics. I would venture to guess that a lot of them don't even know who the mayor of Hoboken is.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/10 4:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Zimmer knows that very few of the people who attend the parade and very few of the bar and restaurant owners who gain monetarily from the parade actually vote in Hoboken. Do you really think there is going to be a mass exodus of bar owners fleeing town now for, say, Jersey City? It is still a drinking town even without the parade. I think a reasonable compromise, if Zimmer is inclined to do so, would be to have the parade on a Friday or Sunday.

Yeah, but whoever is a viable candidate against her in 2.5 years will have buckets and buckets of money form bar owners. And probably every other constituent group who outside of the "Crazy White Lady" category.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Zimmer knows that very few of the people who attend the parade and very few of the bar and restaurant owners who gain monetarily from the parade actually vote in Hoboken. Do you really think there is going to be a mass exodus of bar owners fleeing town now for, say, Jersey City? It is still a drinking town even without the parade. I think a reasonable compromise, if Zimmer is inclined to do so, would be to have the parade on a Friday or Sunday.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
My guess is that the real party will still be on the weekend.

Having the parade on Wed allows parents, children and people that don't want to get puked or pissed on avoid the drunks.
It also gives the "impression" that the city gives a $hit about the familes while still allowing businesses and bars to gouge patrons on Saturday.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 18:18

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017