Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Red Light Camera Warning!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/17 1:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/22 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Politicians around the country have been bribed in order to install these cameras. Do you think the same has happened in NJ?

Feds: Red light camera firm paid for Chicago official?s car, condo

Former Redflex CEO, contractor, Chicago transport official indicted for fraud.

The former chief executive officer of Redflex, a major red light camera (RLC) vendor, has been indicted on federal corruption charges stemming from a contract with the City of Chicago.

On Wednesday, in addition to former CEO Karen Finley, government prosecutors also indicted John Bills, former Managing Deputy Commissioner at the Department of Transportation, and Bills? friend Martin O?Malley, who was hired as a contractor by Redflex.

According to the indictment, O?Malley himself was paid $2 million for his services as a contractor, effectively making him one of the company?s highest paid workers. Much of that money was then funneled to Bills, who used it for personal gain. Via Redflex employees, Bills also acquired a Mercedes and a condominium in Arizona. In December 2013, Ars reported on red light cameras nationwide, and in particular, Redflex's four cameras in the central California town of Modesto.

A May 2014 affidavit written by an FBI special agent suggests that Bills likely used some of this money to purchase and store a boat, buy a car, pay for an addition to his Michigan cabin, pay for his girlfriend?s mortgage, pay his own mortgage, pay his kids? schools, and hire a divorce attorney over the course of several years.

A 2013 Redflex document states that two employees ?paid for vacation-related expenses? for Bills ?for at least 17 different trips from 2003 through 2010,? which included ?hotels, flights, rental cars, golf games and meals? and a computer, for a total value of around $20,000. Karen Finley was vice president of operations at Redflex from 2001 until late 2005, and then was promoted to CEO from 2006 until February 2013.

The three named defendants face 23 counts of mail fraud, wire fraud, bribery and other charges. They could each be sentenced to decades in prison if convicted: each fraud count carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison, while the other counts have lesser penalties.

The city had hired Redflex to provide automated enforcement cameras, known formally as its Digital Automated Red Light Enforcement Program (DARLEP), from October 2003 until February 2013. That was when Mayor Rahm Emanuel dropped Redflex and its 384 cameras after Bills was shown to have accepted a hotel room that Redflex paid for?but city officials believe that the corruption ran far deeper. In October 2013, Chicago selected Xerox ACS to replace Redflex as its new RLC operator.

The May 2014 criminal complaint against Bills states:

Quote:
According to individuals at Redflex, the Chicago contract was the most important contract for the company, both because of the revenues it generated as well as the name recognition it gave to Redflex. By 2010, the Chicago red light program was the largest red light camera program in the United States and encompassed 20% of the total camera systems that Redflex operated in the U.S.

In July 2014, the Chicago Tribune reported that at least 13,000 Chicago motorists were cited with undeserved tickets thanks to malfunctioning Redflex RLCs.

Read more.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/20 ... cials-car-condo-and-more/

Posted on: 2014/8/18 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/28 12:24
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
A "Stroller Mom" as opposed to a non stroller Mom? What about a stroller Dad? You have a problem with me too? You know what they say about not getting between a Bear and their young? You should know that this applies to humans too. You should be careful about there in the land of stroller parents. They could f you up.

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
And how exactly should the populace "obey" the law when the yellow signal is not as long as the law mandates?

Just because it's the law, doesn't mean it's right.

Red light cameras protect no one but city coffers and their makers.

The whole system is a rigged rip off.

We need less surveillance and more cops doing their jobs- which means in Greenville and BL stopping gangs, not hand wringing because the stroller mom had to wait three seconds to cross the street.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Cameras aren't helping that either. How many shootings/stabbings have their been in Greenville and B-L in the past two weeks, courtesy of the light at Jersey and 18th spasming with its shortened yellow.

It's a trap- I don't understand how anyone supports penalizing people for being scammed. Support for red light cameras is like charging a special tax to victims of credit card fraud.

If it were about pedestrians, how about devoting the spending on cameras to building a pedestrian bridge across the tunnel entrance, or even one on Washington or Columbus?

The cameras are a Healey NJ flim-flam. Just look at the list of towns that have them, one worse reputation corruption wise than the next. Their time has come.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What about speed bumps around VVP and HP ?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/6/25 21:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Goldjason wrote:
With all these discussions on red light cameras, trying to explain to everyonewho supports it would be quite futile without understanding the big picture. So I will not go into a debate on its merits.

However let me warn you of a new one on the ramp from Route 7 and turning onto route 440 going south. This is almost a "gotcha" red light trap. When you make a right on a red you will get a ticket. The no left turn sign on RED is quite f it but due to the heavy traffic I did not take a picture yet. If the sign was under the red light this would be easy for some to well hidden by foliage and cannot be easily seen when approaching this intersection. I had wanted to snap a picture oobey the law. This is an example of the" gotcha mentality" and how to increase the yield of the tickets. Those of you taking that route, just heed this warning and dont get trapped by this new mouse trap.

I support the cams, but also feel "no right on red" should by law be ON the light pole! Worst is it being behind you after you stop.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 20:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
With all these discussions on red light cameras, trying to explain to everyonewho supports it would be quite futile without understanding the big picture. So I will not go into a debate on its merits.

However let me warn you of a new one on the ramp from Route 7 and turning onto route 440 going south. This is almost a "gotcha" red light trap. When you make a right on a red you will get a ticket. The no left turn sign on RED is quite well hidden by foliage and cannot be easily seen when approaching this intersection. I had wanted to snap a picture of it but due to the heavy traffic I did not take a picture yet. If the sign was under the red light this would be easy for some to obey the law. This is an example of the" gotcha mentality" and how to increase the yield of the tickets. Those of you taking that route, just heed this warning and dont get trapped by this new mouse trap.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
None of what you said actually had anything to do with red light cameras other than the usual claim about coffers.

If you want more cops going after criminals, then you need the cameras so they don't have to watch traffic.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
And how exactly should the populace "obey" the law when the yellow signal is not as long as the law mandates?

Just because it's the law, doesn't mean it's right.

Red light cameras protect no one but city coffers and their makers.

The whole system is a rigged rip off.

We need less surveillance and more cops doing their jobs- which means in Greenville and BL stopping gangs, not hand wringing because the stroller mom had to wait three seconds to cross the street.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 17:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Here's an idea - obey the traffic signals and you won't have to worry about the cameras.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I remember a couple years back there was a trucker who got caught with one of these devices at the GWB. I think they threw the book at him.

What I don't understand is why cops aren't filling their quotas ticketing all the people with plastic "shields" over their plates. The only purpose these can possibly serve is to obscure them from law enforcement. There are some that are designed to become unreadable to a flash photo.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_rider wrote:
If JC becomes like Chicago full of red light cameras then I could see these selling like pancakes.

I remember a couple years back there was a trucker who got caught with one of these devices at the GWB. I think they threw the book at him.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 4:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
If JC becomes like Chicago full of red light cameras then I could see these selling like pancakes.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

If you're reading this Fulop, we need cameras near DTJC, VV and Hamilton Park ... It will help with public safety where kids play and people shop. Newport could do with one too.

Stop sign cameras would work better around HP and VVP. Don't think they're legal yet in NJ - but they're really a no-brainer.

Posted on: 2014/6/20 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
To put all the myths, opinions and hearsay crap aside, you will NOT get a ticket if you're already in the intersection waiting to turn if the lights turn red.

You only get a ticket if you commence to enter the intersection AFTER the turn signal or light is RED.

If you think contrary to this, then you are fooling yourself and you need to understand how the technology works as I did.

You can seek a copy of the image of when you committed the offence. The cameras mitigate all the crap people come up with hard evidence.

Not even a high paying attorney can bullshit there way out of it if you're caught and it becomes a no-brainer for Judges and Prosecutors.

If you're reading this Fulop, we need cameras near DTJC, VV and Hamilton Park ... It will help with public safety where kids play and people shop. Newport could do with one too.

Posted on: 2014/6/20 9:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
NBC News covered the new camera at JFK and Communipaw tonight. One thing they did say was that there would be a 30 day grace period before they started sending tickets out.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
According to the post above, the camera will not click as the light is changing. Has to be full red. I've seen three cars go through after the light is red. THIS is what the cameras are designed to capture.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday, on my way home from work, I ran a red light at the last moment because I was busy navigating through a series of humongous potholes on River Road in Edgewater. By the time I put my attention on the light it was changing; I could have slammed on the brakes but I made the decision to go. I wonder if they have cameras in Edgewater. I also wonder why a town so expensive has such a crappy main road right now.

There is definitely some gray areas when it comes to lights. Whatever money they do get from these cameras, I hope it goes toward fixing the atrocious roads.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
...and also a significant factor in reducing T-bone crashing, thus saving lives. Whiplash v. death? What would you choose?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ ... 2/01/AR2011020100021.html

Posted on: 2011/3/5 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Just stay away from that Intersection.. Red Light Camera is a contributing factor to rear ends.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
I got caught in the interesction 2days ago & all of a sudden I saw flashes, I hope I don't receive a ticket in the mail as I was in the intersection while the light was green until I had a chance 2 move when it finally turned red.

This May 26, 2010 article about red light cameras in Glasboro, NJ has a section on how RLC's are supposed to work. No guarantee that they have been set up correctly in JC and that you won't get a ticket. Knowing JC, you'll get a ticket it, fight it, and lose. I wish you luck in not getting one at all.

Red Light Cameras in N.J.: Improved public safety, and a revenue source for towns

Here's the section of note for those that don't want to read the entire article:

The cameras work in conjunction with sensors that are set up in the intersection which automatically triggers the video cameras when vehicles are going through the red lights. The sensors then trigger the cameras to provide three separate pictures from the intersection:

* One shows the vehicle crossing the stop bar painted at the intersection.
* The second shows the vehicle crossing the bar.
* The third shows the license plate picture for ticketing purposes.

According to the officials, some of the common misconceptions and fears that motorists have regarding the red light cameras are:

* A common misconception about the technology is that the triggering mechanism is activated on the yellow light. If a driver is stuck in an intersection and the light changes, they will not get a ticket.
* All four tires have to be behind the stop line for the system to trigger itself, not half way through, not two or three tires or one, but all four.
* Violations are sent to the motorist that is registered as owner by the Motor Vehicle Authority. A recipient of the fine is not penalized with any points, their driving record is not blemished and there is no effect on insurance.
* If a car stops for a right turn on red intersection and then swings around at one speed, then they will get a ticket.
* If the car stops at a right turn on red intersection, and a driver does their due diligence to stop and then go, there won't be a ticket issued.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 14:56
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I think every stop sign intersection should have a camera. Especially at the Western Slope corner of Columbia & Lincoln which is near the fire house. This intersection has the most unrespected stop sign in the city. I bet if you stand there and take count less than 50% actually stop.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 11:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Love red light cameras - I'd run butt naked through the Holland Tunnel if they place a red light camera on the corner of Marin Blvd and 12th St.

The city would make a siht load of $'s off motorists 'blocking the box' - The learning curve for motorists would be slow, but the hip pocket sting, will remind them of their selfishness every time at that location.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 10:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 12:58
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/5 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
Just wanted to give you guys a warning about a red light camera they installed on Communipaw & JFK a few days ago.
I got caught in the interesction 2days ago & all of a sudden I saw flashes, I hope I don't receive a ticket in the mail as I was in the intersection while the light was green until I had a chance 2 move when it finally turned red.
Just wanted to give you guys the heads up on this as I didn't even know what was being installed!!!

Were you blocking the box or ignoring the light? Just asking....

Posted on: 2011/3/5 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hoping for a camera at every corner in this town.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
It's about time. If they're going to pave Columbus and make it a superhighway, the red-light cameras are that street's only saving grace.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 23:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/26 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
Just last night, I noticed a camera at the intersection of Newark and Grove that I hadn't seen before.

I'm not sure how long it's been there.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 16:46

Red Light Camera Warning!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Just wanted to give you guys a warning about a red light camera they installed on Communipaw & JFK a few days ago.
Just wanted to give you guys the heads up on this as I didn't even know what was being installed!!!

Posted on: 2011/3/4 12:05

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017