Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Excellent Buffalo Wings- Where can I find them?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/19 13:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Park and Sixth's signature wings, a mix of blue cheese and buffalo sauce, are my favorite in town and their .50 Wednesday wing nights - at the Gastropub location on Washington - are a good value.

In addition to the signature wings, they also have a honey gorgonzola, a thai curry, and a truffle parm - which, unfortunately, are pretty dreadful.

Definitely looking forward to trying JCWingery's offerings and also, several friends have raved about Ace's Wings, a local caterer specializing in, you guessed it, wings.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 6:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
I ended up going and thought they were very good and while I generally do not like blue cheese it was mild and very tasty. Will definitely good back.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 16:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Awesome news! And I'm dead serious about being there when you are at Lincoln Park. Your wings are excellent. Thank you!

Posted on: 2015/5/7 14:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 10:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
All, thanks for the reviews, critiques and criticisms. We're still learning, so ALL feedback, both positive and negative, is welcomed and encouraged.

Regarding the heat level for the Hot wings, I 100% agree that the heat is too light...we're working on it. Our sauces use a fresh pepper base and we're currently utilizing Jamaican Scotch Bonnets, which are pretty high up on the Scoville Scale, but heat is lost to the cooking process. I'm working on sourcing the infamous Ghost pepper, so hopefully we'll be able to drastically increase the heat level.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 14:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I also went tonight specifically to get wings. I agree that they were crispy - almost airy - good sauce to wing ratio, and very tasty. Probably the best I've had in the area. No, definitely the best I've had in the area. I'm very excited they'll be at the Lincoln Park Farmers market every 1st & 3rd Sunday. You can count on me being there every time you're there.

Only MINOR criticism: I ordered the "hot" and I didn't think they were hot at all. Admittedly, I eat extremely spicy food, so perhaps I'm desensitized, but if those "hot" wings were hot, then WTF do the traditional taste like? I mean, they were very flavorful and I'll eat them anytime I can, but I didn't find them even remotely hot.

Oh, the blue cheese dressing was good. I am not a fan of blue cheese dressing but I tried this since it's homemade, and it was really tasty.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:
If anyone tries the wing place at Hamilton Park market today please let us know how they are, I saw they posted a picture on twitter and it says:

6-$8
12-$15
24-$27

For the price I would hope they are pretty big in size.

I guess I will be the first to chime in with a review...

Because of their post earlier in the week, I purposely went to Hamilton Park today to try out the wings. It is my first visit to the Hamilton Park farmers market (I usually visit the M/Th market at the Grove St Plaza) and it was definitely worth it. The vendor selection definitely skews towards prepared foods. I think it makes sense for the park, as there are very few restaurants there, and the park seems to be heavily patronized by families with kids in tow.

On to the wings review...

In short, definitely great! The person ahead of me ordering was getting seconds, so that right there was a good sign. They prepare the wings on the spot, so you place your order, pay for it, and then wait a few minutes (5 - 10) for them to put it all together. I got to chat with the crew for a few minutes (they happen to be former neighbors of mine, but I didn't know that when they posted here) and then went for a walk with my dog while they got my food ready. I brought the order back to my place, so a good 15 minutes went by before I got to dig into the food. The wings (I ordered the hot ones) were excellent: perfectly cooked, crispy, but still moist inside, and the sauce was absorbed nicely, so they were still "wet" but not messy. The hot sauce was tangy and definitely strong, but not overpowering. Everything held up well in the container they used (waxed or coated cardboard that allows for some breathing) without the food getting cold after 15 minutes, but without it getting soggy. If I could get these wings at a local bar or pub, I would be very happy. They were definitely better than any other wings I have tried locally.

I got a "former neighbor freebie" which was something they call Bruffalo Sprouts: large sized Brussels sprouts cooked and lightly sauced (or saut?ed in some oil?) with buffalo wing sauce flavor. I have never had anything like it before and I thought it was really well executed. The sprouts were cooked nicely, and the flavor was pleasantly tangy. Definitely enjoyed those sprouts.

All in all, I think they are onto something really good. I was impressed with the wings, and the sprouts. I will be getting them again. As for pricing, I get that $8 for six wings is a bit steep. I think most offerings at local farmers markets are always a bit expensive. I look at it as the cost of supporting local merchants and vendors, who are pouring their hearts and money into something about which they are passionate. I would assume they also have to pay fees to be able to set up at these events. I am willing to pay a little extra for products made by hand by local people, so long as it isn't exorbitant.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
If anyone tries the wing place at Hamilton Park market today please let us know how they are, I saw they posted a picture on twitter and it says:

6-$8
12-$15
24-$27

For the price I would hope they are pretty big in size.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jumba72 wrote:
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:

The buffalo sauce on the wings at Lucky 7s wasn't my thing -heavy, sweet, and reminded me of something that would come out of a bottle, like heinz or something.

Sounds like you had BBQ wings. Their hot buffalo wings are anything but sweet. Give em a try.

Thanks for the tip! Will definitely give em another shot with that sauce.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 14:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:

The buffalo sauce on the wings at Lucky 7s wasn't my thing -heavy, sweet, and reminded me of something that would come out of a bottle, like heinz or something.

Sounds like you had BBQ wings. Their hot buffalo wings are anything but sweet. Give em a try.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I like the wings at Park & Sixth on Grove street - meaty, crispy, and spicy.

Hamilton Inn wings are occasionally good, but more often small and overcooked.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 15:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCWingery wrote:
My business (Jersey City Wingery) will debut our Buffalo wings at the Hamilton Park Farmers Market this upcoming Wednesday, 5/4/15. Expect a super high quality, extra crispy wing covered in an awesome homemade sauce. Served with house-made blue cheese.

The whole idea was borne from my personal search for a great Buffalo wing in Jersey City.

What kind of pricing structure are we looking at for the wings tomorrow?

Posted on: 2015/5/5 14:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, thanks!!!
I'm looking forward to it.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 13:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Livin wrote:
Well I'm excited. How late will you be there?

By the way, Wednesday is 5/6, not 5/4. Not trying to be pedantic, just don't want people to be confused.

Wow, rookie mistake!! Definitely May 6th (tomorrow)!

The market ends at 7:30pm. If you're cutting it close, feel free to call my business cell (201-942-0502) and I'll fire an order for you.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 11:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I like the wings at NuBar. I wasn't all that impressed with Bon Chon. Talde's wings were ok but not remotely close to drive me back there.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 23:29
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
Though not very meaty, the wings at Lucky 7 are perfectly spiced for my taste. The sauce makes it my go to wings place.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I find Talde's to be overcooked and too sweet. The ones I used to love were at Maxwell's in Hoboken. Fantastic wings. Buon Appetito is not bad, and I have had good luck at White Star, though they are not great.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sullyx wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
I'm a big fan of Buffalo Wild Wings, unfortunately you need to drive to Seacucus for that.

Over the past week or so, I have heard two or three people raving about the wings at BWW. I have visited two different locations (not in this area) and have not been impressed, at all. I don't get the love for this place. If nothing else, I think it shows that anything above mediocre will do well in this area, given the poor choices. I honestly don't know of many good places where to get wings in this area, even after visiting many, many bars, pubs and restaurants. Locally: Talde and Bon Chon are good, and so is Cluck U. Regionally: Pok Pok (in Brooklyn) has good wings, any Korean fried chicken place (especially when ordering drumsticks) is good, Atomic Wings is decent (are they still around?) and I have had good wings at a few local bars/pubs (Jack Demsey's, on 33rd, stands out, and the Lincoln Park Bar and Grill, on 56th and 9th Ave)

We just don't have good wings in this area, and BWW is sub par. Outside of this area, but close enough: Quaker Steak & Lube (a new location opened recently in Edison) and Moriarty's in Philadelphia. In fact, I have had chicken wings all over the world, and I don't think I have ever had better wings than the ones in Moriarty's: the wings are PERFECT (huge, meaty, moist) and their fries are good, with a ton of really good draft beer choices.

Talde and Bon Chon??? good lord, have you ever had a actual Buffalo wing? 9th and Coles Tavern and White Star offer the best downtown currently. Lucky 7 used to have good wings but that changed with the kitchen staff. Not sure about the West Side or heights for wings currently. Oh and if you're in city on the East side, Blue Moon Saloon will even ask you if you want them done the proper Buffalo way and baked after being fried and basted. 1 Fry, 2 Baste, 3 Bake 4 Re-baste and serve

The three times I have had White Star wings, they were overdone to the point of being nothing more than dried up jerky over sauced (probably to hide the kitchen hack job) and lacking in both meat and moistness. I have yet to try Lucky 7, so I will make it a point to do so soon.

As for the first part of your reply, what can I say? The drumsticks at Bon Chon are a delicious form of fried chicken. Talde is of course different from traditional buffalo style wings, but their take is good on its own right.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
I'm a big fan of Buffalo Wild Wings, unfortunately you need to drive to Seacucus for that.

Over the past week or so, I have heard two or three people raving about the wings at BWW. I have visited two different locations (not in this area) and have not been impressed, at all. I don't get the love for this place. If nothing else, I think it shows that anything above mediocre will do well in this area, given the poor choices. I honestly don't know of many good places where to get wings in this area, even after visiting many, many bars, pubs and restaurants. Locally: Talde and Bon Chon are good, and so is Cluck U. Regionally: Pok Pok (in Brooklyn) has good wings, any Korean fried chicken place (especially when ordering drumsticks) is good, Atomic Wings is decent (are they still around?) and I have had good wings at a few local bars/pubs (Jack Demsey's, on 33rd, stands out, and the Lincoln Park Bar and Grill, on 56th and 9th Ave)

We just don't have good wings in this area, and BWW is sub par. Outside of this area, but close enough: Quaker Steak & Lube (a new location opened recently in Edison) and Moriarty's in Philadelphia. In fact, I have had chicken wings all over the world, and I don't think I have ever had better wings than the ones in Moriarty's: the wings are PERFECT (huge, meaty, moist) and their fries are good, with a ton of really good draft beer choices.

Personally I like the variety of sauces they have at BWW. I haven't been disappointed unless you the wings come out and aren't fresh. Also as an avid sports fan, I like the environment to watch a game (or fight). If there was one in this area, it would clean up for sure.

Locally Cluck-U, Whitestar, and Boun Apetito are pretty decent.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

slim26 wrote:

Personally I like the variety of sauces they have at BWW. I haven't been disappointed unless you the wings come out and aren't fresh. Also as an avid sports fan, I like the environment to watch a game (or fight). If there was one in this area, it would clean up for sure.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 20:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sullyx wrote:
Oh and if you're in city on the East side, Blue Moon Saloon will even ask you if you want them done the proper Buffalo way...

I can't find any mention of a Blue Moon Saloon in Manhattan. Are you sure that's the name? Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

slim26 wrote:

Talde and Bon Chon??? good lord, have you ever had a actual Buffalo wing? 9th and Coles Tavern and White Star offer the best downtown currently. Lucky 7 used to have good wings but that changed with the kitchen staff. Not sure about the West Side or heights for wings currently. Oh and if you're in city on the East side, Blue Moon Saloon will even ask you if you want them done the proper Buffalo way and baked after being fried and basted. 1 Fry, 2 Baste, 3 Bake 4 Re-baste and serve

Posted on: 2015/5/4 19:26
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/5/4 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
While not strictly buffalo wings per se, but I love the wings at Bon Chon!

Posted on: 2015/5/4 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2015/5/4 18:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well I'm excited. How late will you be there?

By the way, Wednesday is 5/6, not 5/4. Not trying to be pedantic, just don't want people to be confused.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 18:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My business (Jersey City Wingery) will debut our Buffalo wings at the Hamilton Park Farmers Market this upcoming Wednesday, 5/4/15. Expect a super high quality, extra crispy wing covered in an awesome homemade sauce. Served with house-made blue cheese.

The whole idea was borne from my personal search for a great Buffalo wing in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
Surprised no one mentioned this but hop scotch has really good wings. Their buffalo is good but try their honey somehing wings.

I keep forgetting to try out this place. I guess the "sterile" commercial look of the place is a bit of a turn off, but I have heard good things. I will have to go check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Posted on: 2015/1/13 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
yeah the hop scotch wings are good

Posted on: 2015/1/13 14:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Surprised no one mentioned this but hop scotch has really good wings. Their buffalo is good but try their honey somehing wings.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 14:20

Re: Best Wing Delivery Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

HamSandwichPark wrote:
White Star. You won't be disappointed.

I have heard this before from other people, and right here in JCLIST, as well. I have tried their wings before and thought they were a sad, pitiful thing: skinny, too small, over cooked (read, dry to a crisp, both the skin AND the meat) and over sauced (probably to disguise the cooking hack job) and this was on more than two different occasions. Overall, piss poor.

Much better choice: Cluck U. Yes, it's the ghetto. They may or may not deliver. On West Side Avenue, just north of Communipaw. Decent option downtown: Zepp. PJ Ryan's is also decent but, when there, choose the nachos. Definitely awesome.

Yup. White Star wings suck. They're microwaved from frozen as far as I can tell. Though i haven't found any cooked fresh in JC...

Posted on: 2015/1/13 4:28

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017