Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Cable and internet options
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HelenaJC wrote:
**update** We did decide to close our Comcast account and switch to Fios. I have to say that Comcast customer support was great and didn't charge us a thing because they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. We had Fios installed yesterday, and we now get perfect WiFi coverage in every room. The Fios package will be a good $20 a month more, but (in our apartment) the difference in WiFi service is night and day.

No Comcast fan here, but you could have gotten a better wifi router or repeater for far less than than $20/mo is going to cost you. Wifi and broadband have absolutely nothing technically to do with each other. The former is provided by a router, the latter by a modem.

Like others here I've got my own wifi router. The FIOS service is in the basement and my son on the 2nd floor complained about the wifi. I already had a cat5 going to the ground floor for the HTPC, so I just plugged the router into that, and everyone was happy.

Posted on: 2014/1/25 16:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/10 18:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
**update** We did decide to close our Comcast account and switch to Fios. I have to say that Comcast customer support was great and didn't charge us a thing because they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. We had Fios installed yesterday, and we now get perfect WiFi coverage in every room. The Fios package will be a good $20 a month more, but (in our apartment) the difference in WiFi service is night and day.

Posted on: 2014/1/25 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I am located in a building where cell phone signal antennas/repeaters were recently installed (in the past year, or so) and performance of all wireless signals has degraded tremendously. Whereas my WiFi could easily provide a reliable 20+ Mbps throughput in the past, I am lucky to get half that now. In fact, sometimes it drops down to 5 Mbps. If I connect to the router using a cable, performance is normal (20+) which shows the issue is with interference of the WiFi signals. Of course, changing channels is just a temporary solutions, as most devices nowadays will automatically switch channels on their own, so the channel with little traffic today, may be overwhelmed tomorrow.

Posted on: 2014/1/19 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Already went through the channel changing routine a while back. It improved things a little. Early morning hours, I get a strong enough signal. By evening though, its pretty much dead.

Posted on: 2014/1/19 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
My FiOS service came with their "Advanced Wi-Fi Router" that they advertise for $100. It is OLD tech, only 130 Mbps, there are 450 Mbps routers now as well the new AC standard which has amazing range & speed.

Right now I have my wireless off on the actiontec and a netgear 3700 hooked up to it for 300 Mbps. I just got a netgear nighthawk that I still need to hook up.

IMO ASUS and Netgear are both pretty good.

Posted on: 2014/1/19 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

HelenaJC wrote:
We've had Comcast Xfinity for a week (we just moved to JC) and we're thinking about canceling our subscription. We have their internet package, but we can only get Wifi if our laptop is literally adjacent to the modem/router. i.

My WiFi has degraded significantly recently (Fios Actiontec router). As I type this in my office, my laptop his hardwired to the network via Cat-5e.

The cause by me is a huge increase in the number of people using wireless routers, taking up the available bandwith. At times, I can pull up 20+ on my computer.. many with a stronger signal than mine (my router is at the other end of the apartment).

I plan to fix it by buying a third party router with more power and using it for its wireless function only. The Actiontec will stay as a gateway to the internet, but its wireless will be turned off.

The two brands I am looking at right now:

Asus
Amped

For the wireless issue, the main problem is radio interference from so many routers within range of each other being on the SAME channel. The most-common default channel is 6. Lots of free utilities available online and you get a live list of what's in range, what channel for that SSID, signal/noise strength, etc. Moving to a least-used channel will make a big difference. Specific to MDM, the Actiontech is so-so but probably plenty for your space. The alternative to replacing the router is to add another Wireless Access Point (non-router, just WAP) and connect it to another wired drop in your house downstairs. Just set that up with the SAME SSID as your router/wireless, but use a different channel number so they don't conflict with each other. (I run 3 WAPS in my house this way, including an Actiontech in the basement.

Try here for starters:

http://download.cnet.com/inSSIDer/300 ... 10848357.html?tag=mncol;2

Posted on: 2014/1/19 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HelenaJC wrote:

Should I make the switch to Fios? I'm willing to pay a bit more if it means reliable Wifi.

Yes! IMO it's worth the extra cost I am the only one on my block with fios I am the only house that never had a problem. My neighbors are using Comcast because of the price and you get what you pay for.

Posted on: 2014/1/19 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HelenaJC wrote:
We've had Comcast Xfinity for a week (we just moved to JC) and we're thinking about canceling our subscription. We have their internet package, but we can only get Wifi if our laptop is literally adjacent to the modem/router. i.

My WiFi has degraded significantly recently (Fios Actiontec router). As I type this in my office, my laptop his hardwired to the network via Cat-5e.

The cause by me is a huge increase in the number of people using wireless routers, taking up the available bandwith. At times, I can pull up 20+ on my computer.. many with a stronger signal than mine (my router is at the other end of the apartment).

I plan to fix it by buying a third party router with more power and using it for its wireless function only. The Actiontec will stay as a gateway to the internet, but its wireless will be turned off.

The two brands I am looking at right now:

Asus
Amped

Posted on: 2014/1/19 15:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/10 18:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We've had Comcast Xfinity for a week (we just moved to JC) and we're thinking about canceling our subscription. We have their internet package, but we can only get Wifi if our laptop is literally adjacent to the modem/router. We've had 3 technicians come out in the last week, and they've tried swapping out the modem, etc.

At this point the only feedback they can give us is that there is some interference in the building out of their control.

I think we were spoiled in Brooklyn with Time Warner which was super fast and reliable--although at the time I thought the price was just ridiculous.

Should I make the switch to Fios? I'm willing to pay a bit more if it means reliable Wifi.

Posted on: 2014/1/19 14:06

Re: Internet options for downtown JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Are you looking for the absolute cheapest option?

3Mbps from Comcast + a HD over the air receiver for your TV.

Verizon can not compete with Comcast prices one-for-one. Only if you bundle will it be comparable. Comcast is the cheapest option in Hudson County. Pick whatever special Comcast has right now and go for it.

edit: and there is currently no NJ or Federal sales tax on internet service.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 21:59

Internet options for downtown JC?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 0:29
Group:
Registered Users
Any suggestions for Internet service that can beat these rates from Comcast?

Basic cable TV, $15
Xfinity Internet (20 Mbps), $54

These figures are before taxes. I'm just wondering/hoping there might be a less expensive alternative....or perhaps I'll learn that this is standard. I do have the option of downgrading to 3 Mbps for $20, but I worry that may feel too slow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i would tell comcast that byou plan to call the regulators if they won't allow you to drop down to the lowest level. have you thought about sharing wifi with a neighbor? have you thought about over-the-air tv? its great! i watched the partridge family, good times, sanford and son, bewitched, i dream of jeannie and MAUDE yesterday - channel 11-2 (antenna tv)

Posted on: 2013/12/16 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I just switched to fios from comcast. If I were to rank the overall systems I would rate it

1. comcast xfinity x1
2. verizon fios
3. comcast regular

a. Reliabilitywise it has been pretty similar
b. x1's guide is way better than fios, x1 also allows you to set favorite sports teams and it will record anything about them.
c. Main fios selling point is unlimited data, comcast used to have a cap and may bring it back
d. comcast's website is also better and smarter, verizon keeps offering me upgrades to their new router which I already have.
e. For similar monthly charges, x1 has more premium channels.
f. comcast bill is way easier to understand, verizon tries to make it more confusing by having multiple credits everywhere, so it is hard to determine the breakdown of the total price.
g. I am switching back once this contract is over.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 6:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
My cable is generally okay, but the internet service through their "Triple Play" modem/ router is beyond useless. My internet connection is completely inconsistent. Perfectly fine one minute, completely out the next. It's basically impossible for me to stream a complete movie on Netflix. And when one person gets on the internet with one laptop, it temporarily boots the other laptop off.

Thanks.

A few suggestions. I had similar issues over the past year with Comcast. Sometimes the problem is simply at their end. The easy way to tell is if you can see their OTA Xfinitywifi - you can connect and log in using your Xfinity account. If you can't get an internet service over that, then the problem is likely external.

The other problem might be local wifi interference - other networks, cordless phones, competing wifi devices such as printers and Rokus. Over the years, with neighbors getting more wifi devices, my PC-wifi router has become almost unusable. I swapped to using these powerline adapters - which fixed most of the problems.

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Powerl ... ywords=Trendnet+powerline

Useful wifi signal tool.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Networ ... anagement/Wi-Fi-Inspector

Posted on: 2013/12/16 5:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
We had switched from Comcast to FIOS about 1.5 years ago. We never had issues while with Comcast, and so far, FIOS is just comparable - not better, or worse, service availability wise, and cost wise (we have triple play with FIOS). In other words, we can't complain about FIOS, but are not thrilled either (guess I had high expectations for FIOS).

The only thing I have to add is that I did had to call in last week when our internet was out. Surprisingly, it was a quick call, and painless.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Wondering if anyone has any input on the cable/ internet provider options. I've had Comcast since I've lived in JC, but am about at my wits' end with the service. My cable is generally okay, but the internet service through their "Triple Play" modem/ router is beyond useless. My internet connection is completely inconsistent. Perfectly fine one minute, completely out the next. It's basically impossible for me to stream a complete movie on Netflix. And when one person gets on the internet with one laptop, it temporarily boots the other laptop off.

I see that FIOS is available in my apartment and am legitimately considering making the switch.

Can anyone tell me if they've been happy with a switch from Comcast to FIOS? What are the pluses and minuses of FIOS? Are the prices comparable?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 2:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Ive called 3 times in the last month...I begged, pleaded, told them I'd switch to FIOS, begged some more, and wasn't offered a lower rate. I'll call back again tomorrow and try again. How long have you had the service? I was told new customers get a lower rate, which is the rate listed on Comcast's website. I do stream movies from time to time, but no gaming or anything, so I don't need super fast service. Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Cable only, no TV.

I have the most basic plan -- which is probably what our price difference amounts to. But, it's 3.2Mbps (400 KB/sec) download which is adequate for just about any internet application, including HD streaming.

Call and see if there's a lower plan. It's probably not advertised on their website.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 2:02

Re: Clear Internet...Does anyone use this?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
jmiz, so you don't have cable at all? When I had cable and internet, I paid 50 for internet, but when I made it internet only, the price is 72. Sucks.

I read the Yelp reviews, I was hoping to hear from someone who uses Clear here in JC. Thanks though.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 1:37

Re: Clear Internet...Does anyone use this?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
$72 a month for just internet!?

Maybe I'm grandfathered in under an old plan, but I purchased my own modem ($50, paid for itself in less than a year) and have a $39.99 internet-only Comcast subscription.

See if you can fake a cancel on Comcast, maybe they'll drop your plan down a bit to keep you on.

Otherwise, check some Clear reviews on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/clear-internet-manhattan

Posted on: 2013/3/20 1:29

Clear Internet...Does anyone use this?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone use the $50 a month plan from Clear Internet? I need to save money, and am currently paying $72 a month for Comcast internet only which includes modem rental.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 1:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/26 14:02
Group:
Registered Users
Ha s anyone noticed that for the past few days, Comcast Channel 53 gives you free Cinemax movies instead of WLIW?

Posted on: 2012/11/25 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pinkydapimp wrote:
Just canceled my comcast. i currently have apple TV along with Netflix and hulu plus. Any other suggestions?

Also, what do i need to get the local channels? I can buy an antenna correct? Do i need a digital converter as well?

I assume you mean you cancelled cable and kept the broadband. If you have a recent TV with a built in digital tuner you don't need a converter for OTA, just an antenna. Reception is very good, but with Netflix et a,l my family almost never turns to OTA TV.

The FCC has issued the following mandates for devices entering the US:[1][2][3]

By July 1, 2005 all televisions with screen sizes over 36 inches (91 cm) must include a built-in ATSC DTV tuner

By March 1, 2006 all televisions with screen sizes over 25 inches (64 cm) must include a built-in ATSC DTV tuner

By March 1, 2007 all televisions regardless of screen size, and all interface devices that include a tuner (VCR, DVD player/recorder, DVR) must include a built-in ATSC DTV tuner.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 17:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/30 23:29
Group:
Registered Users
Just canceled my comcast. i currently have apple TV along with Netflix and hulu plus. Any other suggestions?

Also, what do i need to get the local channels? I can buy an antenna correct? Do i need a digital converter as well?

Posted on: 2012/7/7 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackp wrote:
I had Clearwire and they are simply terrible. Slow and constant outages. Plus they want a two year term.

I went with Fios for data only 15/5 and am paying $55/month. Because it is data only (internet) they do not add the junk fees and taxes you get with phone and TV.

I couldnt be happier with Netflix, my Roku box and the speed which consistently tests out as advertised.

I am no fan of Verizon, but they did get this one right.

Clearwire. NO NO NO! They are a total bait and switch company. Two years ago they offered a Rover "Puck" which gave users a pretty nice deal on a 3-4G pay-as-you-go internet service. The "Puck" itself costed near $200. Then Clearwire decided to withdraw the pay-as-you-go and make the service a $40-60 monthly.

I was stuck with a useless $200 brick from Clear. This company is the total armpit of tech. Do not do business with these fools.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I had Clearwire and they are simply terrible. Slow and constant outages. Plus they want a two year term.

I went with Fios for data only 15/5 and am paying $55/month. Because it is data only (internet) they do not add the junk fees and taxes you get with phone and TV.

I couldnt be happier with Netflix, my Roku box and the speed which consistently tests out as advertised.

I am no fan of Verizon, but they did get this one right.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So now, in June 2012, what are people paying for internet only service?

I am paying $20 a month for one year for Comcast internet only, this was the best deal I had seen from them and came in a direct mail they sent me.

However, performance is dreadful, and I'd really like to go back to Fios, but the Verizon website is telling me $70 per month for their lowest service (15/5) internet only.

Is it possioble to get better prices than that for Fios, if so how?

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
try clearwire

Posted on: 2011/11/27 7:21

Re: JC Internet providers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Verizon FIOS has been 100% reliable in the two years I've had it, but they'll force you into paying for TV too.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 1:31

JC Internet providers

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 1:05
Group:
Registered Users
Hi--I searched but didn't see any posts about this, though I'm sure someone's asked before. Can you recommend a good, cheap, fast wireless internet provider for a transplant living near the Grove Street PATH? I don't need or want a phone or cable TV--just internet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/11/27 1:09

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017