Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Be Aware - "Save the Children" Door-to-Door Donation Scam
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I sent Save the Children this link and they responded with the following:

Thank you for contacting Save the Children and for sharing your concern.

I have shared the below link with our marketing manager who will follow up with our fundraising partner.

Save the Children does partner with a company that conducts door to door fundraising on our behalf, and currently, we are fundraising in NJ.

Anyone fundraising on behalf of Save the Children will be wearing a vest over their jacket with our logo. They will also be carrying forms or literature with our logo.

If you do suspect fraud, or feel uncomfortable, it is always best to contact the authorities. The fundraisers working on behalf of Save the Children carry specific documentation and will be able to show that documentation to you or anyone who questions them.

Again, we thank you for sharing your concerns with Save the Children.

Warm Regards,

Dawn Nunn
Donor Services

Donor Services Contact Information:
* Call 1-800-728-3843 (toll-free from within the U.S); 203-221-4030 if calling outside the U.S.
* Write us at 54 Wilton Road, Westport, CT 06880
* Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Save the Children continues to support the victims in Haiti affected by last year?s earthquake and the Cholera outbreak. Please visit www.savethechildren.org to partner with us in our work.

Sponsors, to download your 2010 summary of giving, please visit your personalized homepage at www.savethechildren.org/myaccount.

Why is a donation to Save the Children a smart investment? Save the Children has received Charity Navigator?s highest 4-star rating for the eighth consecutive year. Ninety percent of our expenses are used on program services (amount spent in individual communities may vary). Visit our website at www.savethechildren.org/ to learn more!

Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change for children in need in the United States and around the world.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Also wanted to give you all a heads up on another scam:

Around 8 - 12 weeks after you file your taxes, many people receive a check from the "United States Treasury".

Do not cash that check! They say that you overpaid on your taxes, but they have really robbed from your children to give it to you.

If you cash that check, do not spend it! Put it in a savings account for your kid or yourself. You will need it later!

Posted on: 2011/1/29 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

istabraq wrote:
Yes, I checked the Save the Children website again today and also Googled and found the original article in the Washington Post concerning all the Haiti earthquake scams. That is what really makes this kind of thing shameful to me, other than the obvious shame of bilking people out of their money for uncharitable purposes - the fact that they pretend to be from legitimate organizations gives those organizations an unfair bad name.

This guy was clearly a scammer; he had a few raggedy sheets of scribbled-on paper, no ID, no pamphlets or even any contact information for his purported charity (as noted by one of the other posters above), and kept insisting they needed immediate cash donations for some unclear reason - in 2011 when you can donate to pretty much any legitimate charity on the web that just doesn't wash.
thanks for the update ...

... the person that solicited us on behalf of save the children provided us a donation sheet that offered support through credit card, etc.

there was no "cash donation," or such ... so it may be so that save the children could have a legit operation going around; nevertheless i am checking on this with them as well ...

will keep you updated ...

Posted on: 2011/1/29 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

istabraq wrote:
I had a clean-cut teenager, frecklefaced white boy w/red hair, come to my door last night around 9pm soliciting for Save the Children. I remember this was a big thing right after the Haiti earthquake, with lots of donation scams going on, and Save the Children very adamantly stated that they do not solicit donations door-to-door. I didn't give anything to this fellow but just wanted everyone to be aware that this is going on. No idea what he was really up to but that kind of thing always puts me on edge - I can't help but think there is more to it than just trying to scam donations. So be on the lookout.

"White boy" is very offensive. If someone says that they deserve a beatdown.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
I think where the boy went wrong was saying that he was from such a large organization. He should've said that he was with a local boy scout troop or a local sports team. Especially with having red hair and freckles

Posted on: 2011/1/29 3:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I checked the Save the Children website again today and also Googled and found the original article in the Washington Post concerning all the Haiti earthquake scams. That is what really makes this kind of thing shameful to me, other than the obvious shame of bilking people out of their money for uncharitable purposes - the fact that they pretend to be from legitimate organizations gives those organizations an unfair bad name.

This guy was clearly a scammer; he had a few raggedy sheets of scribbled-on paper, no ID, no pamphlets or even any contact information for his purported charity (as noted by one of the other posters above), and kept insisting they needed immediate cash donations for some unclear reason - in 2011 when you can donate to pretty much any legitimate charity on the web that just doesn't wash.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
istabraq wrote: I had a clean-cut teenager, frecklefaced white boy w/red hair, come to my door last night around 9pm soliciting for Save the Children. I remember this was a big thing right after the Haiti earthquake, with lots of donation scams going on, and Save the Children very adamantly stated that they do not solicit donations door-to-door. I didn't give anything to this fellow but just wanted everyone to be aware that this is going on. No idea what he was really up to but that kind of thing always puts me on edge - I can't help but think there is more to it than just trying to scam donations. So be on the lookout.
can you confirm the above?

Posted on: 2011/1/28 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
There's also another scam floating around the area I just read about. The vets that wait outside the supermarket (NOT the VFW guys selling poppies), but another organization claiming to help disabled vets is also a scam, according to a report I read yesterday. Only 16% of the donations actually go to vets and the guys that stand outside dressed in fatigues canning for money are paid, and are not always vets as they claim.

That doesn't sound much different from the numbers on all those "cop benevolent assn" calls we get that are actually from noncops working for a fundraising contractor. There often are actual charities behind them, but they figure why not contract with these guys, since a fraction of something is more than nothing. I guess they don't think it dilutes their credibility, I disagree.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
There's also another scam floating around the area I just read about. The vets that wait outside the supermarket (NOT the VFW guys selling poppies), but another organization claiming to help disabled vets is also a scam, according to a report I read yesterday. Only 16% of the donations actually go to vets and the guys that stand outside dressed in fatigues canning for money are paid, and are not always vets as they claim.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I hope someone calls the cops on these people, and you should inform the police about this too. It's just disgusting what people will do for money.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 18:52
ಠ_ಠ

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I had one of these guys come by last night as well. I always ask for their pamphlet and say I will donate online. He said they were cutting costs and did not have anything to hand out. That is when I became suspicious and said I had to go. He definitely did not have a very good sales pitch as he kept repeating the same couple of facts.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 18:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/15 3:56
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
I had someone rang my door bell two evenings ago, with the same pitch. Good thing we were having dinner, so I sent him away (via the intercom).

Sounds like something is definitely going on.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 17:52

Be Aware - "Save the Children" Door-to-Door Donation Scam
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I had a clean-cut teenager, frecklefaced white boy w/red hair, come to my door last night around 9pm soliciting for Save the Children. I remember this was a big thing right after the Haiti earthquake, with lots of donation scams going on, and Save the Children very adamantly stated that they do not solicit donations door-to-door. I didn't give anything to this fellow but just wanted everyone to be aware that this is going on. No idea what he was really up to but that kind of thing always puts me on edge - I can't help but think there is more to it than just trying to scam donations. So be on the lookout.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 16:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017