Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
15 user(s) are online (8 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 15

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Bergen Lafayette?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Hey STC4 can you elaborate on the pictures you've posted and what the mayor is trying to convey ?

This was the wrap-up to the tour of the winning gardens in the City's Adopt-a-Lot Program. The UMMI Living Village Community Garden won for Seed Sowing. The seeds are mostly metaphorical, getting a wide variety of people involved in the garden. The people in the picture were accepting the award.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 10:47
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Hey STC4 can you elaborate on the pictures you've posted and what the mayor is trying to convey ?

Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Not quite Lafayette, but just up the street, btw Communipaw & Harrison, Bergen & Monticello:

IMGP4248

IMGP4243

Posted on: 2013/10/20 8:51
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Not quite Lafayette, but just up the street, btw Communipaw & Harrison, Bergen & Monticello:

IMGP4248

IMGP4243

Posted on: 2013/10/20 6:13
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Check out the Halladay Homes, a new residential project underway in Bergen-Lafayette. Just off Pacific and Communipaw you may qualify to purchase a 2-family home for $250,000. New construction with 6 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. Watch the youtube video for contact information. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2kdTdW7gr4

The part of Bergen-Lafayette around Pacific and Communipaw has many amenities. The newest municipal pool, Lafayette Park, Light Rail Station, easy access to Liberty State Park and Science Center, library and soon - a community center and Berry Lane Park. There is a community and municipal effort to improve quality of life issues in this area of Jersey City

Posted on: 2013/8/23 10:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Astor Place Neighborhood
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
No offense, but how can getting priced out of a neighborhood be a positive and the key sign that an area has come around, as you say? A lot of great middle income people got priced out of dtjc in the past few years. I lived there since 1995 & hated to leave last summer for another area due to the extreme over pricing. I find a lot of the development in dtjc to be out of control and not smart urban planning in terms of the exponential added density. I also find the diversity fading a bit too much for my taste.

As an unintended consequence, you have likely become a positive neighbor in an area that could benefit from that…

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:40
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f___ the prom queen.
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't say it was a good thing. I said it was an indication of how far the turnaround in DTJC had come. And being priced out is relative. What person A can't afford, person B can. I couldn't afford to buy here now, probably, but I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. I'm sorry people are leaving the area, but the positive side of that is that they are moving to other neighborhoods and helping to strengthen those, just as I did in 1999. I didn't move here thinking, "god, I hope more middle income people don't move here because then rents are going to go up and more expensive stores will displace the ones I can afford to shop at". I expected that a turnaround would take time and that JC had the room and the inventory to absorb new, more affluent people without it turning into another Hoboken. In my opinion, I think that has happened. I have worked in downtown revitalization and redevelopment tangentially for years, so all I can tell you is that there is still plenty of opportunity in downtown for healthy, sensible redevelopment. A few overpriced highrises were bound to happen, but those rents will fall over time. As far as the positives, they were already addressed by another person here.

I appreciate your wanting a diverse and interesting mix of residents, but in my opinion, we still have it. I have been gone, as I mentioned, for over 6 years and the changes I am seeing are startling across the board, both good and bad. There are many more homeless and drunk people on the streets. The sidewalks and streets are absolutely filthy, and you used to be able to eat off of them on my block. The business mix is more vibrant, but as I mentioned in another thread, businesses that cater to less affluent communities are still here, cheek to jowl with others that are more upscale.

There is a lot that can and should happen in terms of redevelopment, but there is a lot of opportunity still, and hopefully the new mayor will look at ways of doing it that are healthy and responsible.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
No offense, but how can getting priced out of a neighborhood be a positive and the key sign that an area has come around, as you say? A lot of great middle income people got priced out of dtjc in the past few years. I lived there since 1995 & hated to leave last summer for another area due to the extreme over pricing. I find a lot of the development in dtjc to be out of control and not smart urban planning in terms of the exponential added density. I also find the diversity fading a bit too much for my taste.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 10:36
Print Top

Flood Zones in Bergen Lafayette?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Be careful, some of the low lying areas by the Liberty Light Rail Stop are in the designated flood zone, which means thousands of dollars of required insurance.

I opted out of a home purchase when i found that out, so be sure to check the FEMA maps if you are considering purchasing.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 8:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

How did you get priced out in the first place, did the landlord triple your rent or were you too late in the home buying game ? As far as diversity is concerned consider it just a defrag of human storage. Strangely you are probably noticing more wealthy famlies of diverse groups that act very similar with a usual pattern from day to day.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 8:04

Edited by heights on 2013/8/9 8:22:46
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Banned
Those who say DTJC is not diverse in terms of racke are lying. There are plenty of east and south Asians. The least diverse neighborhood in JC is BL.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 5:32
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
No flooding around the LSP Light Rail stop, at least in any of the surrounding streets west of the stop during Sandy. Not like Grand Ave for instance.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 23:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I looooooooveeeeeee Pacific street right off Communipaw its such a lovely stretch of a block. As another poster pointed out I also looked at BL to live but I wanted to be near the Liberty State Park light rail but that area had major flooding issues so I passed, and the only transportation out of there was the LSP rail or the MLK hub :\

well there goes the quiet neighborhood :P

Posted on: 2013/8/8 22:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Greenville/Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I looooooooveeeeeee Pacific street right off Communipaw its such a lovely stretch of a block. As another poster pointed out I also looked at BL to live but I wanted to be near the Liberty State Park light rail but that area had major flooding issues so I passed, and the only transportation out of there was the LSP rail or the MLK hub :\

Posted on: 2013/8/8 22:43
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

How about really good reasons...

1) Affluent neighborhoods where median income is high have less crime, especially violent crime.

2) Affluent neighborhoods where median income is high have better public schools - millburn in NJ for example. (btw, McNair is not a true public school in the sense that testing is required to get in so don't come back with me with that example)

3) Affluent neighborhoods where median income is high have less abandoned buildings and vacant lots.

I'm not against diversity but what does "diversity" add in real world terms? It's nice that my child has a diverse group of friends but what the heck does that matter if he/she cannot read or write ?

Safety & Education > Diversity

Disagree?

Posted on: 2013/8/8 22:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/8 22:10
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
This is a very interesting and helpful discussion. I live downtown and have been here since 1999, although I left for a few years when I got married, returning only in June of this year. Lots has changed ,but I recall asking a lot of the same questions when I was looking to move here in 1999. Hard as it may seem to believe, back then, there wasn't a lot of hope that downtown was going to finally turn itself around, and there weren't a lot of 20-something single women living here. There were folks that had been here for 20+ years, young immigrant families from Central and South America, and a lot of poor artists. I had faith that downtown JC would find its footing, and since people are actually talking about being priced out of the neighborhood--I guess it's happened.

I have never been further east of Grand on Communipaw, and I had no idea where any of this was. I have driven around Lincoln Park in the past and admired some of the homes and a lot of the interesting architecture, but I have never, ever strayed south from Communipaw and I am happy to know so much is going on. I looked at the area on google maps and I think this weekend I will take my dogs and drive over to the park and check out this neighborhood that sounds terrific.

You have to believe and hang on. It took about seven years for things to really take root and begin to boom here downtown from when I got here, and that process was underway since the mid-1990s. With the price of housing in the boroughs and Manhattan, it is only a matter of time before more people see the light and move out to where you are. It sounds like those of you out there already are well positioned to reap the benefits that will surely come, and from a personal standpoint, I can tell you that there is a certain amount of satisfaction knowing how much of a return on your investment you can get after the area takes off.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 21:04
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
We almost moved to Lafayette last year. For us, the few transportation options didn't work for us as my boyfriend works until 10:30, getting back to JC after 11pm nightly. Otherwise, we liked it.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 17:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Off Communipaw, just up the hill from Lafayette:

IMGP2766

IMGP2750

IMGP2719

IMGP2762

Posted on: 2013/8/6 18:03
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Nice post, Susan_N. I agree with everything you said, the way you said it, and am coming from the same perspective as a female living in B-L for the past 6 years.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 7:35
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I've weighed in a few times before about B-L, so won't say much more here, but I wanted to reiterate that many of us love B-L. Obviously, not everyone will, but as a woman who has lived here for almost five years and who often goes jogging or walking solo, I don't buy the super-scary warnings. I suggest spending some time wandering the streets here, and see how you feel. I suspect that at least some people will fall for the good location, beautiful housing stock, and friendly vibe.

And if you don't, no judgment from me.

- Susan

Posted on: 2013/4/24 23:38
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
No prob.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Qui001. I found your observations spot on. No overhyping (BL is not the next Bed-Stuy) nor is it worse than Newark or Camden.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 12:41
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Many thanks to all for your feedback. Will look through some of the other threads and pass on the information. Was not able to make it to this evening's captain's meeting but will look to make the next one (Are they usually held on the 4thTuesday?).

Posted on: 2013/4/23 21:05
Print Top

Re: Bergen Lafayette- How safe is this area?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
Wow, really Sam? Are these "friends" or enemies?
Where in JC do u live?
Haven't u noticed them houses that look like animal cages or jail cells?
Its either from keeping something from coming out or someone or something from going in!
And these 2 females plan or returning after 8PM?
I sure hope they don't plan on walking home to there.
Have u seen them corner stores in that area! O boy.
Need I say more.
Ps. Hope I didn't scare them off.
O wait, here's a nice vid... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exduow ... ture=youtube_gdata_player

The Heights used to be a lot scarier than Bergen Lafayette ever was. Pacific Ave is gooooorgeous. It's also much, much cleaner than the Heights.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 20:51
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I've been living in Astor Place for about a year and a half and no regrets here, the neighbors are friendly and it really feels like a community. My wife and I both work in NY and the commute is convenient about 45 min from door step, stop @starbucks to Midtown. We do need more places to eat around here R.I.P MAE.
There are a couple of projects that will really change the area Whitlock Cordage, the renovation of an old rope factory into condos and apartments been going since 2003 but recently there has been a lot of progress and literally a block away Berry Lane park 17 acres of unused land being transformed into a recreational area in phases first phase to be completed this year. If you drive by the area you can see the immensity of these projects, go down Grand St. turn on Communipaw towards LSP make a left on Manning ave to Whitlock or a right on Woodward St to Berry Lane park.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 19:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Astor Place Neighborhood
Group:
Registered Users
It's a solid question. I just bought in Bergen/Lafayette. However, I didn't buy in the area I'm mentioning. From everything I have heard regarding development and push, one of the areas to seriously flip next is in the box created with the Liberty State Park Light Rail, Bramhall Ave, Manning Ave and Johnston Ave.

I'm up on Astor Place, which is outside this area. However, I do know people in development and that is what they say...

Posted on: 2013/4/23 11:28
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newlafayette wrote:
That way you get a clear pic instead of just opinions (some are clearly more helpful and less sarcastic than others :)

Hi Sam112,

This is a topic that comes up somewhat regularly. I've lived in the vicinity of Pacific & Johnston for 4+ years, after living in Manhattan, DTJC and other places on the spectrum from literal war zones to sedate to refined. This is among my favorites; though Lafayette, and this specific section, is not for everyone.

Some folks on JClist prioritize crime or the threat of crime, and that's cool and understandable. No one wants to deal with crime. This is not a neighborhood where fate is likely to smile as kindly on those who walk around impaired at 2am than the LES and DTJC. If one wants to have those nights, it takes a tiny bit of common sense and planning, but it's easy to manage (and coming home after work up 'til 8 is fine). And I've never had an issue in 4 years other than one stolen hubcap.

If one wants to have the occasional night of hanging out in a local before heading home, this neighborhood doesn't currently offer a consistently walkable option. We had a great one last year (MAE) that disintegrated in a management feud despite being very popular locally, which gives us hope for the future. Instead, we go out in the city or DTJC and catch a $6 cab back from Grove, which is pretty painless. Rent/mortgage is so much cheaper here than in DTJC, let alone in the city, that one still comes out way ahead.

I commute into the city and either walk to Grove (20 mins) or catch a bus with less-than-stellar punctuality (thanks, Healy!). Not great, but I remember walking ~10 minutes in the EV just to get to the L, which is pretty useless for commuting.

The neighborhood has many rewards, though, for those who decide to move here and give it a chance. This is not an up-and-coming neighborhood on the scale or at the pace of, say, many Brooklyn neighborhoods. There's good stuff happening: amazing (and amazingly cheap) housing stock; proximity to LSP (and its light rail station); and most importantly, a lot of really cool people who like where they are - both old-timers and newcomers - and who welcome others with the same spirit. I've made a lot of good friends here, which didn't happen in DTJC.

I encourage you to search this site a bit and find other threads where residents of this part of BL have weighed in (use search term 'Lafayette'). You'll also see posts from my neighbors & me, as well as from folks who riff (with alarm and occasional creative spelling and syntax) on bodegas, houses that look like 'animal cages,' etc. Though there's no way to know how much time those contributors have spent in Lafayette, of course we have some rough edges. It's definitely a good fit for some, though, especially those who combine realistic expectations with a bit of common sense, curiosity, flexibility, and a willingness to try something that isn't universally popular/endorsed.

I love it here - and am excited for everyone else here who's happy with where they decided to live. Good on ya. Having said that, JClist: let the criticism and snark begin!

Happy to answer any specific questions publicly or privately, or to provide any other info or perspective.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/4/23 1:03
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
"of the crimes "reported" in the past month"
If u don't say nothin when u see somethin, these areas will go unfounded or unknown of any problems!

Posted on: 2013/4/22 20:53
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
You or your friend could come to the East District police meeting Tuesday (tomorrow) at the school on bright street at 7pm and look at the crime maps and see the facts of the crimes reported in the past month in Lafayette where your friends are looking vs downtown since we're all in the East District. That way you get a clear pic instead of just opinions (some are clearly more helpful and less sarcastic than others :)

Posted on: 2013/4/22 17:43
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Yea they have the new pool down there in that area, its pretty nice... when its not crowded so id say prob early in the day and its for JC Residents ONLY!
There's a Papa Johns in the area & a bar on the other corner that makes pretty good grilled food outside in the summer.
The bodegas are open pretty late so after the munchies & if u wanna smoke a spliff then hit the liqour store that's also open "after hours" for a 40 or some MadDog.
Then can always hit the next corner for a quick game of C-LO & maybe win big!
Can also hit up Liberty Science Center & catch a 3D movie & feel like your floating.
Yea, its very up & coming!
Check the vid...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exduow ... ture=youtube_gdata_player

Posted on: 2013/4/22 12:25
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. Talk about painting with a broad brush.

I'll bite. Bergen Lafayette might not be the nicest neighborhood, and it may not look like much at first, but it is definitely improving, and it feels pretty safe. The neighbors can be very nice and welcoming; I have randomly met a lot of friendly, neighborly people just by walking around and engaging people in friendly banter.

In addition to close proximity to LSP, there is the LSP Light Rail station and, from the corner of Johnston and Pacific, you are a 15 - 20 minute walk to the Grove PATH station.

The much maligned corner stores (the so-called bodegas) stay open until around 10 PM, so the areas around the south-half of Pacific, and Communipaw, are not desolate and, if you need some basic necessities in a pinch, they are there. In general, most of Pacific is clean and mostly litter free, and there is new development around that area (closest is the new condos a block North of Johnston/Pacific). I see single women, kids and families walking around the area you mention, so it must be safe enough for them. I certainly feel safe, and have walked the area at all times (early mornings, during the day, and late at night.)

I have been in Bergen Lafayette since 2006, and I like the area. And, no, I am not an owner (I rent) so I gain nothing by "lying" or "pumping up" the neighborhood. Other JC Listers live in the area and can chime in. Goetz, in particular, seems to be very supportive of the neighborhood and could provide additional insight. Otherwise, do a search in the site.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 11:56
Print Top

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014