Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker Proposes Bicycle Tax
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
This is a good first step, but doesn't go nearly far enough.

1. Potential bicyclists should have to get a license and be trained in proper operation of a human-powered vehicle. I see way too many bicyclists ignoring traffic regulations, riding on sidewalks, "pulling wheelies," etc. This is a hazard! A mandatory class followed by a paper Certification in Bicycling would be key to ending this recklessness.

2. Annual Registration. To ensure that the bicycle hasn't changed hands without proper paperwork being filed.

3. Insurance - Who knows how many tax dollars are spent treating the un-insured victims of wanton bicycling? No-fault insurance should be mandatory.

4. Environmental Inspection - While this may seem like an unnecessary precaution, there are countless old, out-of-fate bicycles on the road. Before environmental regulations, these bikes were painted with toxic lead paint and constructed from other potentially harmful materials. Chips of this lead paint could fall off and be consumed by small children, rendering them brain damaged and potential "wards of the state." Also, I see many bicyclists smoking - trailing long clouds of toxic, chocking, carcinogenic smoke behind them, leading to countless deaths from second hand smoke. This madness must end!

I sent a copy of this note to Rep. Cleopatra on behalf of the Concerned Citizens of Jersey City.

I have to guess, by your past postings, that you're joking. Crazy thing is, part of me says you're not, because some joker over at bluejersey actually supports this legislation.

Posted on: 2011/1/15 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
Typical Progressive politician. If it moves tax it. If it keeps moving regulate it, if it stops moving subsidize it.
Yea....but I guess we need more and more taxes so I can get about 2 bucks a month in ss benefits when I turn 85.
But I can rob a bank, because we'll not be able to afford more cops.

Posted on: 2011/1/15 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
I've zero problem with a cyclist obeying the rules of the road, for example - in the center of the road, running slow, to get to where they need to be.
You'd probably be the only driver with the patience to sit behind a biker in the middle of the road.

The problem with biking in most cities is that there's no place for them. If I bike on the sidewalk, no matter how courteous I am about it, people get angry. If I bike in the road, I've got zero safety, and cars get mad at me.

Until there are bike lanes, you can't even make progress towards better relations. At least in NYC you have cars in car lanes, bikes in bike lanes, people in people lanes. Sometimes the rules are broken, but the majority of people stay in their respective lanes.

Also, all of that was said as if pedestrians don't break the rules every day too. I have countless times nearly mown down pedestrians because they start jaywalking against the light, completely oblivious that there are any bikes coming.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
There's a grain of truth in all of this. Cyclists completely ignore all rules of the road...they cycle on sidewalks, run the wrong way on one-way streets, etc. I've zero problem with a cyclist obeying the rules of the road, for example - in the center of the road, running slow, to get to where they need to be.

Do we need better enforcement?

PS: Cyclists bearing down on me on a sidewalk, when I can't move out of their way, will find themselves on the receiving end of a haymaker.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/1/13 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Thank god she withdrew it that was one of the stupidest pieces of legislation I've ever seen.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Cleopatra Tucker probably thought something to the effect of: "I'll propose this thing that will go nowhere but will appease the seniors in my district who have nothing but time to complain to me about all the kids running around on bicycles." Instead she faced a tsunami of opposition; the right, constantly against new taxation, and the left, against anti-green public policy. In less than a day, all she accomplished was a sound byte for a GOP commercial in next year's election cycle: "And Democrats even proposed a new tax on bicycles."

Bravo for the gross incompetence.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 16:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Withdrawn. Thank you Cleopatra. I honestly can understand how the senior citizens feel because I've seen how some kids ride their bikes on the sidewalks and intentionally try to scare you by getting close and pretending they have "no brakes" but this would not help with that problem.

TRENTON ? Assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker (D-Essex) has withdrawn her proposal for a bill that would have required bicycles to be registered.
?My intention was never to impose a burden or additional costs," Tucker said in a statement. "My goal was to at least begin a discussion of how best to protect elderly pedestrians. No idea is perfect, but protecting elderly pedestrians deserves attention."

article from NJ.com

Posted on: 2011/1/13 15:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
quote:
Dang she's on to something. But we gotta add skateboards and baby strollers. Especially baby strollers.

And wheelchairs. Don't forget those!

Posted on: 2011/1/13 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
This is a good first step, but doesn't go nearly far enough.

1. Potential bicyclists should have to get a license and be trained in proper operation of a human-powered vehicle. I see way too many bicyclists ignoring traffic regulations, riding on sidewalks, "pulling wheelies," etc. This is a hazard! A mandatory class followed by a paper Certification in Bicycling would be key to ending this recklessness.

2. Annual Registration. To ensure that the bicycle hasn't changed hands without proper paperwork being filed.

3. Insurance - Who knows how many tax dollars are spent treating the un-insured victims of wanton bicycling? No-fault insurance should be mandatory.

4. Environmental Inspection - While this may seem like an unnecessary precaution, there are countless old, out-of-fate bicycles on the road. Before environmental regulations, these bikes were painted with toxic lead paint and constructed from other potentially harmful materials. Chips of this lead paint could fall off and be consumed by small children, rendering them brain damaged and potential "wards of the state." Also, I see many bicyclists smoking - trailing long clouds of toxic, chocking, carcinogenic smoke behind them, leading to countless deaths from second hand smoke. This madness must end!

I sent a copy of this note to Rep. Cleopatra on behalf of the Concerned Citizens of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/1/13 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Those darned seniors!

Last week I almost got run down by an old lady riding her 'Hover-round'.

I wish I could have gotten her 'plate number'!

Posted on: 2011/1/13 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously, she has lots of elderly constituents to deal with. Her rationale that the bike plates will help seniors identify the biker who knocked them over is reaching at best. Perhaps 1 out of 100 seniors may have time to turn around and read a small bike plate as it speeds away. Let's not forget many seniors have poor eyesite and wear glasses. By the time grandma or grandpa adjusts them the perp is already at home playing his X-Box.

Do us all a favor and get to some real business that will actually make NJ a better place and not upset everyone including the poor bike cops that will have to pull over a 10 year old without a bike plate.

Perphaps Tucker and this elite governement brain should hook up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg

Posted on: 2011/1/13 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
^^^

And rascal riders, "By the Pound," for wear and tear on our precious Walmartinfrastructures.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 6:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Okay, so she gets some props for the name Cleopatra, but this Newark Assemblywoman has proposed registration fees for bicycles.

Quote:

While the registrations would be good for two years, the bill said the state could charge fees of as much as $10 per year.

People who falsify the registration would face fourth-degree charges, which in New Jersey can lead to up to 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine.

NJ Newsroom

Dang she's on to something. But we gotta add skateboards and baby strollers. Especially baby strollers.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 5:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Exciting. Soon you'll be ready to leave comments on the Huffington Post! A Banner Day!

Posted on: 2011/1/13 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I would love to see those fees go toward lowering gas prices. Damned yuppies and their riding machines. Tax the elite bikers and bring down the costs for the working joes who have to drive back and forth to work everyday, I say. Only an elitist urbanite could afford to have a bike as a primary mode of transportation, so I say TAX THE RICH!

Posted on: 2011/1/13 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/1/13 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stranger wrote:
Here's Assemblywoman Tucker's email address: AswTucker@njleg.org

Dear Assemblywoman Tucker,

Your proposal to require people to register their bicycles with the MVC is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.

Regards,
Stranger

My message to her was a bit more vitriolic than that.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 4:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/22 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Here's Assemblywoman Tucker's email address: AswTucker@njleg.org

Dear Assemblywoman Tucker,

Your proposal to require people to register their bicycles with the MVC is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.

Regards,
Stranger

Posted on: 2011/1/13 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Hahahaha! I love her. We should tax bicycles to fund mass transit.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

Posted on: 2011/1/13 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Cleopatra Tucker. ---- her!

Posted on: 2011/1/13 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Can you imagine the red tape and paperwork these "bicyle" cops will have deal with. The potential to tie up court rooms because of non-registered bike infractions alone should be enough to send this Tucker woman's assinine idea out the door. It's the biggest crock of sh*t I have read in quite a while.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 1:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/15 3:56
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
Will my 2-year-old need to register his tricycle too?

What's next? My 5-year-old's scooter?

When is enough enough? Given the hiked property tax, water bills, poor public school (hence paying for private), etc, how do they expect us to continue to live in Jersey city?

Posted on: 2011/1/12 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
What seems to be an unenforceable element of the law is out of state bicyclists. With cars, every state requires some sort of licensing and registration and ultimately license plates; if NJ is the only state, are out of state bicyclists expected to register in NJ before riding in the state? Where do they register, a non-existent list in their home state? And if out of state bicyclists are not expected to have license plates, can not having plates even be probable cause for stopping a NJ bicyclist without plates when there is no way of knowing if the cyclist is an in or out of state resident?

Posted on: 2011/1/12 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This will not go through. If it goes through, then the taxpayers have all reasons to expect real bikes lanes not like the jokes we see downtown. If they want a quick buck they should target helmet compliance, and that I think is reasonable. If they want a quick buck, there are also plenty of car non-compliance everyday by the tunnel entrances.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a bit concerned about the license plate rule. I live in the Heights section of J.C. and bike to the City quite often mostly on the weekends. If N.Y.state has this law as well I wonder if it will put all would be cyclists in violation for every committed infraction leading up to the requirement for liability insurance. Also with the license plates it could be viewed by the wrong people and tracked as a way to disrupt the privacy and safety of the bikers. This will have a negative effect on the bicycle riding public. This so called protection registration can lead to bike impounding, ticketing, and insurance policies. Please write to your N.J state assembly and senate to quell this bizzare concept it will take away the freedom of cycling in New Jersey.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 22:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/19 19:47
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Okay, so she gets some props for the name Cleopatra...

My exact thought when I saw the thread title.

Cleopatra Tucker... Wow.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/1/12 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
What about the word "motor" is not clear?

Posted on: 2011/1/12 19:17

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017