Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Defending UPS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jsqgirl wrote:
I've actually never had problems with UPS leaving things on my door or the apartment building. They even give you a number so that you can reschedule or reroute the delivery.

In my experience, I've only had problems with FedEx and the problem has been that the employees have been rude because I ask them to enter the building to give me the package instead of coming out to the lobby.

I think you should maybe subscribe to mailbox at USPS or UPS.

A person should always meet deliveries at the front door. Never buzz anyone in without seeing who they are first. Burglars use this ploy a lot to gain entry to multi-unit buildings. There is always some lazy ass who will buzz people in without a care in the world. The burglars just keep buzzing till some sucker lets them in.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 19:07

Defending UPS

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/5 20:06
Group:
Registered Users
I've actually never had problems with UPS leaving things on my door or the apartment building. They even give you a number so that you can reschedule or reroute the delivery.

In my experience, I've only had problems with FedEx and the problem has been that the employees have been rude because I ask them to enter the building to give me the package instead of coming out to the lobby.

I think you should maybe subscribe to mailbox at USPS or UPS.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 18:33

Re: Do not use UPS delivery in downtown JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
This has been a problem for years. Twice I have confronted UPS drivers dropping and running, and they just claimed "the bell doesn't work," at which point I would press it and it would ring, they would shrug and walk off.

Fed Ex at least rings the bell.

I don't have stuff shipped to my house any more.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 21:05
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 12:58
Group:
Registered Users
Ups is the worst. I had four packages "left" at my door in the last year and they mysteriously disappeared. This is with signs in big bold letters asking nicely to leave with my neighbor or redeliver. Obviously anything left on a stoop is going to be stolen.

When I have called to ask about this policy they simply state the driver can decide whether he wants to leave it or not. So, basically he can keep it for himself, leave it to be stolen or keep going in his truck and throw it in the trash on his ride home because he is late for dinner. I have two great UPS guys who wouldn't do that. The other two are questionable.

I recommend calling UPS and having them write in their system that you want the package left with someone specific like a neighbor who is home all the time. Or pay for signature required. UPS told me that unless the delivering company has a deal with them not to leave it, they have no responsibility to the company or you to keep it or redeliver.

Can you tell I am over it?

Posted on: 2011/5/25 21:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I chased the UPS guy down the street last month to ask him why he just drops items on my doorstep and does not ring the bell. He said no signature is required so he is not required to ring the bell first. He can just leave the packages sitting at the door. He was quite rude about it. We live on VVP.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
i live on 4th street, and always get my packages from UPS. usually a few times per month and never an issue whatsoever.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 20:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
I just had three packages "delivered" by UPS to my front door. Not a ring. And what do you know, they're not at my front door.

Called UPS and they said to bring it up with the shipper. Completely useless.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
If the USPS misdelivered your mail or packages, please report it to their website. The more people who report Jersey City to them, the better.

http://www.usps.com/customerservice/welcome.htm

Posted on: 2011/1/29 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
UPS contacted me after I filed BBB complaint. They promised me they have disciplined the driver and that all packages are flagged as signature only to my address. The driver talked to me about it and I explained the problems in our area.

To be safe I use work address. On another note, had two packages from same Seller delivered to work in downtown JC building. USPS placed one of the tracked packages in the WRONG mail box in our building but confirmed receipt to our offices. Lucky for us it was dropped off by staff from the other office but the second package (confirmed via tracking as delivered) was never located. The downtown JC post box doesn't take full responsibility in this incidence and has you do all the leg work - so be cautious - delivering to office isn't really any easier.....

Posted on: 2011/1/25 20:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/16 4:31
Group:
Registered Users
I work for a consulting firm that has UPS as a client. Due to this I worked on some IT projects that UPS outsourced to our company. The way I remember it is that Signature Required is an accessorial which incurs an additional charge. Services such as 2nd Day Air, UPS Saver, etc are just delivery services. If you need other accessorials added such as Signature Required, Saturday Delivery, etc you have to request that separately. In other words I don't believe they are automatically added to any specific delivery service. So I guess make sure you always request Signature Required. If that option is not available then it could be the vendor you are buying from (Amazon, etc) hasn't implemented that into their checkout process in which case you can take that up with the specific vendor. Anyways, not defending them just telling you what I know. I always just have them hold the package at the Secaucus office.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I think you're right Robin. I think there is a basic amount the delivery is insured for.

They throw the box in front of your house without any proof of delivery, they're liable.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 5:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry for being dense, but are you all saying that if I order something from Amazon, and I don't receive it because it was lost by UPS, I am liable and not Amazon?

I thought that the sender files a claim against UPS, and then sends me a replacement. Is that not how it works?

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
UPS has, on more than one occasion, delivered packages to my building that were intended for the building next door.

My building's address is 379, next door is 381. How you would confuse the two, I have no idea.

IF UPS packages intended for 377 were coming to my building, that mistake might have been a little more believable.

Fortunately, I'm an honest person and I always delivered the misdelivered package to its rightful owner next door.

It's possible that FedEx has also done the same thing but I can't recall it happening. There's already a thread devoted to the USPS in Jersey City and we all know what that's about.

Bottom line here is that the delivery of mail and packages is basically a shared monopoly. I've read in more than one place UPS, Fedex and USPS control nearly 90% of the mail and package delivery market. With that kind of control over the market, they have no reason to care.

If the fourth-place DHL (I haven't had any experience with them, good or bad) gets acquired or forced out of business, it will only get worse.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 2:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/19 19:47
Group:
Banned
A few years ago, after I never received a watch I ordered from Amazon (my building has no doorman, and often deliveries are left in the lobby), I said the hell with it.

From then on, everything I ordered went to my workplace address (via UPS, USPS, Fedex, whatever), and I never missed a shipment. I always request a signature when I order things online. The Shipping/Receiving folks at my place of employment have scanners, and everything has gone smoothly so far.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Keep in mind - on all packages we paid the highest price available to us for courier delivery - it still didn't provide us signature only. There is also nowhere on those vendors websites to request that - all you can do is pay highest price and presume that means "signature only".

I've had a fedex online account for years, It's very convenient as you can simply go to your address book, pick the destination and print a label or have one emailed to someone to mail something back to you. But they hide the fact that no signature required is the default. To access that menu you need to pull down a mysterious "special services (optional)" tab. slimy. Also, a PostNet type place explained to me that their ground services aren't REALLY Fedex, they're all simply contractors. I don't see why I should give a shit, I'm paying Fedex and expect to get what I pay for, not get robbed by their employees.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gtmarin wrote:
To OP:
What happened with the previous packages that were stolen? Was there any recourse?

One package was ticketmaster concert tickets. We were home, no buzz at door and we checked every 15 as per usual while tracking online and it said it was "delivered" but NEVER saw anything at the door...interesting, no? Ticketmaster filed. We did a police report. If they sold the tickets (valued at over $400) and the concert venue scanned them, they would be caught at the venue and we were told, arrested.

Second package was this Christmas. Same issue. Vendor had to deal with it through insurance and put in a special request for signature only. When the package arrived it looked very expensive (box was designed with logo etc.) but it wasn't, I can see how a courier would think it's worth keeping.

Keep in mind - on all packages we paid the highest price available to us for courier delivery - it still didn't provide us signature only. There is also nowhere on those vendors websites to request that - all you can do is pay highest price and presume that means "signature only".

Posted on: 2011/1/13 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you have these issues as you all seem to (above) I hope you wouldn't mind taking some time to file with BBB. http://www.bbb.org/

A LARGE COMPANY LIKE THIS SHOULD NOT GET AWAY WITH SUCH SHODDY SERVICE. They are taking advantage of us.

The SELLER of the item has refunded me the full cost of courier ($36.95 overnight) and they will take it up with UPS. I filed a complaint with the BBB.

What I understand is UPS won't do SIGNATURE ONLY for any price of courier service you request UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY REQUEST. Imagine the benefits to them - one let it slip that the cost of faster courier employees, trucks etc. vs. insurance on stolen, "lost" items weighs out in their favor.

BELOW IS MY COMPLAINT ID IF YOU WISH TO INCLUDE SO IT'S A LARGER COMPLAINT. (It's a head office).

Complaint ID#: 80168941
Business Name: United Parcel Service

We have forwarded your case to BBB that services the area where the business is located.

Please contact the following BBB for further information regarding your complaint:

BBB of Metro Atlanta, Athens & NE Georgia
503 Oak Place, #590
Atlanta, GA 30349
404 766-0875
complaints@atlanta.bbb.org
atlanta.bbb.org

Rain Ferrara
Service Representative

Posted on: 2011/1/12 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say that I also have had very positive experiences with PostNet. They're inexpensive and provide great services like copying, mail receipt, faxing, etc. One stolen package would more than pay for the yearly fee and the peace of mind is worth it. Plus you're supporting a local business if you choose to use them.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What about writing directly to USPS, Fedex and UPS about these issues?

Direct the letter to the head dude and ask for a response and solution to their poor service.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 20:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I got a box at PostNet just to get packages delivered, and it's been absolutely wonderful. The minimal expense has been worth it. We have saved so much time (not having to go to post office for USPS packages, not having to call/track UPS and FedEX packages), eliminated hassle and stress, and don't have to arrange our schedules to be home for packages. Love it!

We too had experienced UPS and FedEx pretending to deliver packages. One bonus about PostNet is that these guys have to swing by there to pick packages up! So, they have to go in to PostNet, and packages always get delivered when they are supposed to. We no longer have to deal with the awful downtown post office (which frequently couldn't find the packages for which they left notices).

Posted on: 2011/1/12 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Just today UPS left my delivery on my upstairs neighbor's stoop in plain sight. All the walkways etc were shoveled nicely and our names are as plain as day on the mailboxes. I am lucky to have a locked gate under which a package can be slipped. Luckily I spotted the package on my way back in from uncovering my car. BTW? We were home when it was "delivered" but they never rang our bell or our neighbors. (I know this because the neighbor's dog would have barked as would have ours). Thing is too, there are a few shady folks walking around the neighborhood today looking for snow-shoveling jobs.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 19:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 15:38
From harsimus cove
Group:
Registered Users
UPS was supposed to pick up an item for return to a store (item had been replaced). A major retailer set up the pick up, I left the item in plain view of the door, but behind the door since I've had package theft in the last few months, and a note that said which bell to ring.

No one came, two days pass I call the retailer, and they were like, oh it says two attempts were made but you weren't home. Sigh. I was.

I checked myself and both "attempts" were made at 8:15 pm which I take to mean they were tired and just marked it as attempted.

Mail delivery of any kind here is just ridiculous. USPS is no prize either.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
UPS sucks toenails I?ve had packages left on my stoop too. A friend of mine watched a UPS driver blow right past his house and when he checked online a minute later the tracking number said ?delivery attempted.? Once I heard a doorbell ring so I raced downstairs and got to the door within 10 seconds. The UPS driver was already walking down the block back to his truck.

F UPS

The pickup location in Secaucus sucks too, but at least it isn?t as out of the way as the Fedex places. One in Moonachie is bad enough but once I had to drive all the way down to god damn Keansburg in Monmouth County. I was stuck in the stupid 5x10 foot entranceway where they run metal detectors on their employees, waiting for someone to dig around a warehouse and get my package.

USPS 4 lyfe, yo
Even if you have to pick up a package, at least it?s near your house.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
a relative of mine ordered a new blackberry to my house in the heights. i wasnt home at the time so they left it in the mailbox. since the box was too big to fit, it was just chilling out there in plain view. luckily i got home a little while later and it wasnt stolen. however, for future packages we opted to just pick them up from the UPS office in secaucus.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

gtmarin wrote:
To OP:
What happened with the previous packages that were stolen? Was there any recourse?

In the 2 cases in which I was a witness and the perps were caught I know the most recent victim filed a police report. In both cases the value of the items was small and I don't know what the final outcome was. All 3 perps went to jail. The most recent case was almost exactly a year ago. I did see the guy back out on the streets by springtime although I have not seen him since.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 18:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/5 18:11
Group:
Registered Users
To OP:

Posted on: 2011/1/11 18:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/22 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
+1 on PostNet. We've been using them for a few year and are very grateful.

Before when we lived in Hoboken the options were better as both FedEx and UPS have trucks by the Path station and they hold your packages there. But when we moved to JC we had no way to receive packages except via USPS where we would head down on Sat to pick up packages (and stand in line for ages but that's a different matter). PostNet solves all of that for us.

BTW, all of the carriers will leave packages on the stoop -- it's not just UPS. It's a problem.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Heads up that the same applies to much of Fedex service. Ground & Home defaults to "no sig", and that means they won't even bother to ring. It also means if they think it's valuable, poof, it never gets to you. If it's not replaceable or it's time senstive, you MUST pay for that sig!

It's merely anecdotal, but I think they don't screw with commercial vendors as much as private shippers, maybe vendors follow through if too much merchandise disappears. But we mailed my sister a Nano she left behind via Fedex, and she got an empty envelope.

Postnet is on my shit list. They're listed on the Fedex website as a Fedex drop off location, yet refuse to take prelabeled packages. It's not like I do this even once a month, but if they want the listing as a Fedex location they should abide by what it means. Otherwise, I could hang a fedex shingle and take in packages, call for a pickup and ship them using my account.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 17:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
+1 for PostNet. They accept packages. I've been using them for over a year, and I do A LOT of online shopping. The money you pay is worth it for the peace of mind. And the owner and employees are great.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
You might want to look into PostNet on Grove Street. They have a mail service where you get a mailbox with an actual street address, but I am not sure if they accept packages.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 15:24

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017