Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: From "OX" to "BOX"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I agree, the dry-aged flavor intensity of the Black Label does vary from visit to visit. I?m looking forward to trying the others you mentioned though, thanks.

For what it?s worth, the front room and bar are often completely empty after the weekday lunch rush.

Thanks, yeah, I know it's much easier these days to get tables there at off times, I can usually get a same day 6:30 or 9:30 without too much trouble through their VIP line (despite being the furthest thing from a VIP), but dining outside of the normal window isn't always something I want to do, especially when there's another great option a couple blocks away that almost always has 8pm availability.

Now, let's get back on topic, discussing how absurd it is that JC, one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the country, has such shitty Thai food.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, the dry-aged flavor intensity of the Black Label does vary from visit to visit. I?m looking forward to trying the others you mentioned though, thanks.

For what it?s worth, the front room and bar are often completely empty after the weekday lunch rush.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

I realize this is getting further off-topic, and to be fair I?ve never had the regular Minetta burger, but for my taste the Black Label has been consistently sublime, including the one I ate last Friday. I also find it better not to eat it more than once every few months to avoid becoming jaded, an all-too-common affliction.

It's never bad, although maybe two out of five that I've had in the past couple years were distinctly more subdued on the dry aged flavor. I think the real issue is that multiple others (the ones I mentioned, specifically) have surpassed the Black Label in flavor, and if I'm in the mood for a serious dry-aged burger, I know that I can eat a White Label at Costata any day I want (although I do think Emily is the best of the best).

If I've been smart enough to prepare in advance and grab a Minetta reservation, I'll nearly always go for the Cote de Boeuf, which I still believe is the best steak in the city, and that by a pretty serious margin.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
I mean, the Minetta Tavern (although, seriously, the Black Label has gone a bit downhill over the past few years and has been surpassed by the White Label, not to mention some other entrants like Roberta's, Emily, and Raoul's) comparison would be unfair, but comparing Left Bank to Umami would be completely fair.

I realize this is getting further off-topic, and to be fair I?ve never had the regular Minetta burger, but for my taste the Black Label has been consistently sublime, including the one I ate last Friday. I also find it better not to eat it more than once every few months to avoid becoming jaded, an all-too-common affliction.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 15:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vrug wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

If true, authentic Thai was my goal, I definitely would head to NYC and hit up Sripraphai. But, if I just have a hankering for noodles or "Thai-inspired" food, then More was the answer to me. I always enjoyed the food, really appreciated the BYOB policy, and the service was always friendly (although, sometimes it was slow).

I hear you , but my only issue is that More Express claims that they offer Thai Street Food on their windows.

Exactly. It's borderline insulting to Ferangs.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
bodhipooh wrote: If true, authentic Thai was my goal, I definitely would head to NYC and hit up Sripraphai.

I agree. The local food is just to fill your stomach, and overpriced.

http://www.sripraphairestaurant.com/

Posted on: 2015/8/12 21:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/27 18:34
From Historic Downtown, JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

If true, authentic Thai was my goal, I definitely would head to NYC and hit up Sripraphai. But, if I just have a hankering for noodles or "Thai-inspired" food, then More was the answer to me. I always enjoyed the food, really appreciated the BYOB policy, and the service was always friendly (although, sometimes it was slow).

I hear you , but my only issue is that More Express claims that they offer Thai Street Food on their windows. The first time I saw this, I was excited, which was soon followed by shock disappointment.

I have not spent an extensive amount of time in Thailand, but from the little time I did spend, I could tell you that Thai street food is awesome and extremely diverse beyond your Pad Thai and Papaya salad - both great when done right. Unfortunately street food classics like Laap/Larb, Thai Sausage, Khao Soi, Thai Fried Chicken (Kai yang), Herb-fill Whole grilled Fish with Nam Prik sauce (http://www.eatingthaifood.com/2014/03 ... lled-fish-recipe-pla-pao/) ... are no-where to be seen on their new menu. So my biggest issue is false advertising. Call it Thai fusion (never a positive marketing point, granted) but I might actually be less offended.
But I will never go to More Express for "Thai street food", I would go to , Lan Larb, Uncle Boon's or Somtum der.

That said, I am willing to try them out for what they do have.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I think that comparing Pok Pok to More is disingenuous. That's like comparing Minetta Tavern or Umami to Left Bank Burger. Technically the same food (Thai/Asian inspired food for the former, burgers for the latter) but different concepts, audiences, and setups. Pok Pok is really good, it is backed by a celebrity chef that is actually talented, and it is located in a hip area that caters to a different audience. More is more of a local spot, with none of the other attributes of Pok Pok. I have always been a fan of More for several reasons: very good food, attentive service, great value, and BYOB. I am more than mildly disappointed that they have combined two places into one and changed the menu. I will have to stop in later this week to actually try the new version. Maybe I am being unfair, but I am not holding my breath.

I mean, the Minetta Tavern (although, seriously, the Black Label has gone a bit downhill over the past few years and has been surpassed by the White Label, not to mention some other entrants like Roberta's, Emily, and Raoul's) comparison would be unfair, but comparing Left Bank to Umami would be completely fair.

Similarly, comparing More to Pok Pok might be unfair, but comparing it to Somtum Der or Kiin Thai would be reasonable. And, nothing I've had here comes even close to the actual Thai flavors you'd get at those places.

I am not sure that Umami is 100% on par with Left Bank Burger, but they are comparable. Except for one thing: Umami will hurt your pocket much more.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I think that comparing Pok Pok to More is disingenuous. That's like comparing Minetta Tavern or Umami to Left Bank Burger. Technically the same food (Thai/Asian inspired food for the former, burgers for the latter) but different concepts, audiences, and setups. Pok Pok is really good, it is backed by a celebrity chef that is actually talented, and it is located in a hip area that caters to a different audience. More is more of a local spot, with none of the other attributes of Pok Pok. I have always been a fan of More for several reasons: very good food, attentive service, great value, and BYOB. I am more than mildly disappointed that they have combined two places into one and changed the menu. I will have to stop in later this week to actually try the new version. Maybe I am being unfair, but I am not holding my breath.

Similarly, comparing More to Pok Pok might be unfair, but comparing it to Somtum Der or Kiin Thai would be reasonable. And, nothing I've had here comes even close to the actual Thai flavors you'd get at those places.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Restaurants that try to do everything are really lame and they often fail. Sad to see More taking this route, seems really weird.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 18:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry but sliders and Thai food sound horrible. There is not a single place in JC that makes just good Thai food, without adding Chinese, Japanese, burger fusion.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
In my experience, MORE is/was better than Sawadee. Sawadee always struck me as a place that saw pictures of Thai food and tried to "make that." I tried BOX once and it was probably by far the worst meal and service I ever had in JC - but that was years ago and I never gave them a second chance.

I don't expect the quality of MORE's food/service to change much, but hey, you never know.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Actually the new More restaurant has removed the entire japanese menu and only added some new dishes (I.e., sliders). I guess "something" for everyone, but for me, More is actually "Less". Tried Pok Pok in red hook recently and was super impressed. Wished we had something similar in this side of the Hudson.

Pok Pok is amazing. More, not so much, although I haven't tried it since the menu overhaul. I assume the Thai dishes are all the same, they just removed the Japanese dishes.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 15:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Actually the new More restaurant has removed the entire japanese menu and only added some new dishes (I.e., sliders). I guess "something" for everyone, but for me, More is actually "Less". Tried Pok Pok in red hook recently and was super impressed. Wished we had something similar in this side of the Hudson.

Pok Pok is amazing. More, not so much, although I haven't tried it since the menu overhaul. I assume the Thai dishes are all the same, they just removed the Japanese dishes.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/12 10:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
so that means no more more???

Looking at the advertising banner on JCList, it looks like the Box and More merger is now called More Express ("Thai food and sliders")

The link advertised www.morejc.com doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone stopped by?

The link should be http://morenj.com/

Posted on: 2015/8/9 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:

Looking at the advertising banner on JCList, it looks like the Box and More merger is now called More Express ("Thai food and sliders")

The link advertised www.morejc.com doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone stopped by?

Posted on: 2015/8/9 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I believe that's true at some point. However, I heard sometime ago that one of the employees at Sawadee brought out the place from the owner (that's around the time that they added the chinese name to the sign).

Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Names aside, aren't Box, More and Sawadee owned by the same person (Sky Thai too?)"?

Posted on: 2015/7/9 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Names aside, aren't Box, More and Sawadee owned by the same person (Sky Thai too?)"?

Posted on: 2015/7/8 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I heard they were combining More and Box Spring.

Box was sold.

Box Spring is going to reopen as a Bar called "Box Spring-Steen". Ok maybe the name is wrong but it's going to be a bar type place.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 18:29

Edited by ProdigalSon on 2015/7/8 18:52:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/8 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
They had signs up saying they were moving further up Newark Avenue (on the other side of Jersey Ave).

Posted on: 2015/7/8 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Box/Box Spring is moving into the More space on Grove Street.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 18:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
walked by it yesterday and it looked closed. brown paper on the windows, closed sign displayed.

any clues?

Posted on: 2015/7/8 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Super Discount is going to be a ramen noodle shop, I hear.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 16:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
I wasn't joking when I posted this. I walk past there every day to and from work.

Did anyone know that Super Discount is closing / has closed? When I do travel to the dollar store, which is rare, in prefer 99 cent dream.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, I realized someone posted this on 12/30, but I always thought that was a joke until seeing it on the awning today.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone see that Box added "Spring" to their name? Yep, "Box Spring"...

Posted on: 2015/2/21 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Quote:
asny10011 wrote:
It reads something like "Hall Brimming with Jade and Gold" nothing to do with Thai cuisine, unless it is a broad reference to Thailand being a source of jadeite, which is quite valuable and desired.

I think that is their Chinese name for the restaurant, probably to appeal to Chinese customers. There is a Chinese supermarket called "New York Mart" in English, but the Chinese name is "Chinatown". Go figure.

http://sawadeejc.com/

it's like the girl who thinks she's getting the Chinese symbol for Joy on her wrist, when it really says Toad Orange.

Posted on: 2015/1/24 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
asny10011 wrote:
It reads something like "Hall Brimming with Jade and Gold" nothing to do with Thai cuisine, unless it is a broad reference to Thailand being a source of jadeite, which is quite valuable and desired.

I think that is their Chinese name for the restaurant, probably to appeal to Chinese customers. There is a Chinese supermarket called "New York Mart" in English, but the Chinese name is "Chinatown". Go figure.

http://sawadeejc.com/

Posted on: 2015/1/24 2:26

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017