Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: A & P Supermarkets File For Bankruptcy Protection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
I was wondering how long it would take for Whole Foods to be mentioned.

I actually hope this A&P doesn't close, as it's a much nicer place to shop than the ShopRite. And while Target has expanded it's grocery selection nicely, they still often have issues keeping some items in stock, which can be a pain.

That said I could see the JC and Hoboken and other close-in locations packaged up with the Food Emporium stores in NYC and sold off to some other company.

Of course if Trader Joe's wanted to share the space with a PetSmart (like they do in Millburn), I could deal with that.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
PROBLEM #1: The A&P has no unique selling proposition. There is nothing that distinguishs them from the rest of the options consumers may make. (here in JC I personally prefer them because the folks at Shoprite, in my experience are just so damn rude)

PROBLEM#2: They have lost integrity with customers. They have lost integrity with vendors. They have lost integrity with investors. They have lost integrity with employees.

disclosure: I am a retail analyst and personally know people that work at the Jersey City A&P.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 18:55
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
The A&P in Jersey City is actually one of the healthier units in the company.

If that's the case, it is no wonder that they are in trouble. They sank a bunch of $$$ in the renovations 2 (?), 3(?) years ago and that place is usually not very busy at all.

All kidding aside, it may not be a bad location for a whole foods or Trader Joe's. The A&P just wasn't differentiated enough. Why buy at A&P when Target and ShopRite are so close by? For better or worse TJ's and Whole Foods have a different product line-up compared to other grocers.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One of the principle problems of the company is that they tried to compete with Shoprite on price.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The A&P in Jersey City is actually one of the healthier units in the company. This means it would also be one of the most desirable stores for an outside company to purchase. Its location is an ideal footprint for several grocers that are looking to come into the area. Recently the company has sold 7 units in Conn. for apx 25 million and four Pathmark units for apx 89 million. The company has a long history of selling pieces of itself to survive. A&P under chapter 11 will be attempting to package stores like this one with other less desirable units.
Although this unit might transfer operation or ownership it is unlikely to close for good. However the closure of other units may have a huge impact on our Jersey City A&P. Other union employees (UFCW local 464A) with more years of seniority are likely to bump the present employees of Jersey City forcing them to become unemployed.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
I would figure that the A&P near Target will be shut down.
I was predicting that that A&P location would close regardless of the parent company's situation.

Grocery stores are a volume business. If you have a grocery store that is doing 'OK', if the business volume falters by as little as 1 or 2%, the store could be in trouble.

Last time I checked, the Target next door offers staples such as bread, milk, eggs cereal, canned goods, some frozen foods all at a significant discount compared to A&P.

It wouldn't surprise me if that A& P's sales decreased by 5% since Target added their grocery department, making that A&P's survival questionable.

The consumer ultimately benefits with competition like this, but there always are casualties. In this case, I think that A&P is done.

The only reason they may hold on is to go for a turnaround since they invested so much in that location during the renovation a few years back...

Posted on: 2010/12/13 16:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed! I don't know where I'd go!

They actually closed all their CT locations in the past few months. Some of them reopened as Shaws Supermarkets but the one in my home town where I grew up is vacant.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Oh no! I hope they don't close down the one in JC. I love that store vs Shoprite in JC or Hoboken. Everyone there is so nice and friendly.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 15:11

A & P Supermarkets File For Bankruptcy Protection
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
A & P Supermarkets, which operates a store here in Jersey City at 125 18th Street, announced Sunday that it has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

A & P operates 395 stores plus stores under the Food Emporium, Pathmark, Waldbaum's, Super Fresh, and Food Basics names. (Pathmark has a store at 420 Grand Street and a store at 321 Stadium Plaza here in Jersey City)

A & P, officially, is The Great Atlantic And Pacific Tea Company.

Story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12 ... ompetition-heightens.html

Posted on: 2010/12/13 3:08

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017