Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Beware of Dog!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Three thoughts:

-They must have been adorably tiny rats.

-In Newark, the rats hunt Yorkies.

-Yorkies are cats, it seems.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 17:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/21 14:49
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Don't let a yorkie's small size fool you. They are terriers afterall so they can be quite tenacious. At one point in time they were working dogs, hunting rats in clothing mills.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 15:07
Canis Minor Newport
31 River Drive South
Jersey City, NJ 07310
201-626-5545

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
It sucks when your dog gets hurt and I do think the other owner needs to train their dog better.

But Yorkies are as fragile as eggshells and need to be treated as such, which means keeping them away from anything larger than a Chihuahua. I?m amazed they can even walk with those pencil-thin legs. If you?re going to keep a teeny tiny dog as a pet you should be aware that large dogs are going to treat it like a chewtoy, that kids might play too rough with it, and that a bird of prey might pick it up if it?s left alone.

Ridiculous statement. I have a very small chihuahua who prefers to play with VERY large dogs. It just depends on the dog. Large dogs DO NOT treat small dogs as chew toys. Once again it depends on the dog. Come on.......

Posted on: 2010/12/10 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
dunno. I think the first sentence of the first post made it pretty clear :)

Quote:

Yesterday our little 7 lb. dog (yorkie)...

Posted on: 2010/12/9 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
this entire thread is based on the false premise that a Yorkie is a dog

Posted on: 2010/12/9 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vankel wrote:
you think acting responsibly is those owners telling us they will take OUR number? as if we'd ever hear from them again!! they should have offered THEIR number to us. our dog's eye is a total mess and she might have neurological damage according to the opthalmologist. she is on 4 medications and in a lot of pain. :(

AGAIN (for those who cannot read and comprehend), the owners said their dog was ok to play BEFORE we approached. we would never approach without an ok. it is their fault and their fault alone. their dog immediately attacked ours - she never had a chance. they should muzzle the dog or they won't be as lucky next time i'm sure.

A responsible dog owner might have asked for the other owners number. A responsible dog owner might have made sure the other dog was calm and not ready to attack their small dog, before allowing the dogs to "greet" each other. A responsible owner would never just rely on an owners word on the behavior of their dog.

Your dog doesn't deserve the pain and suffering it is going through. I think you need to take more responsibility though.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 2:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/19 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
Vankel - I'm really sorry about your dog. That sucks. And what is "friendly" to some is downright scary to others.

I have a huge dog and he's NEVER attacked anyone, anything else, but I'm still funny about him approaching certain dogs in the 'hood....

I hope yours is feeling better soon - and recovers nicely....

Posted on: 2010/12/8 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Take a look at this site. Might help explain what happened.

http://blogs.dogtime.com/go-dog-train ... 2/what-is-predatory-drift

Posted on: 2010/12/8 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
As a dog owner, we are not in complete control of our dogs ever totally 100% im sorry. Any little minor thing can set a dog off especially when meeting another dog that they are not familiar with.. ESPECIALLY when said dog is way smaller then the other dog. If I had a teeny tiny dog like that I would not let a big dog approach my dog just for the simple fact that accidents happen. I think when you have a small breed you should take the proper precautions to protect that dog, similiarly I do not think you would take your dog into the large dog run at a dog park. I have a big dog look at his picture, if I was getting mugged I think he would look the other way... the kids ride him like a horse and he just lays there... One day I was walking him and another owner said the same thing that it was fine to approach, this dog was a little smaller and clearly older, he attacked my dog and we walked away from it bleeding. I learned my lesson but never thought about blaming the owner because I too took the chance to meet this dog, and dogs react differently to different situations your never 100% safe remember that.

Hope your doggy feels better soon though

Posted on: 2010/12/8 17:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/13 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
you think acting responsibly is those owners telling us they will take OUR number? as if we'd ever hear from them again!! they should have offered THEIR number to us. our dog's eye is a total mess and she might have neurological damage according to the opthalmologist. she is on 4 medications and in a lot of pain. :(

AGAIN (for those who cannot read and comprehend), the owners said their dog was ok to play BEFORE we approached. we would never approach without an ok. it is their fault and their fault alone. their dog immediately attacked ours - she never had a chance. they should muzzle the dog or they won't be as lucky next time i'm sure.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vankel wrote:
yes, both dogs leashed. they just greeted each other and the big dog immediately growled and picked her up. the owners said it was ok for dogs to meet each other before it happened.

the point of the post is to warn people about this dog. geesh.

Read the dog. Read both dogs. Read your dog no matter how small. Never take the other dogs owner's word.

I empathize with you, but it just looks like you put your dog in harms way based on the word of another owner. Owner's may have all the right intentions but they pretty much don't count when it comes to their dog attacking yours, except for the bill. Read the dog, not the owner.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 4:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

vankel wrote:

Hey, it could be worse, your yorky still has a head.

Exactly.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vankel wrote:

Hey, it could be worse, your yorky still has a head.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

chachacha wrote:
I, for one, am not picking a fight and sorry if my previous post came across as rude.

I have a dog who is a member of my family and similar things have happened to her. I also had a dog that got in a fight with another and I did pay their vet bill. While it is a crappy situation, I guess I just meant it's best to chalk it up to error. Describing the dog owners and dog on the site will not do anything. It is possible the yorkie provoked the other dog and this black and white dog will be perfectly fine with other dogs. You never know what will set off an animal (or human animal for that matter).

Also, it sounds as though the owners did what they should in that situation... "They wanted to take our number and also offered to by her a new collar".

Posting a beware of dog warning seems very unfair.

Exactly. Seems everyone acted responsibly after the incident so why sound the alarm with all those !!!!!!!!! I have a small dog. I keep him away from big dogs. The dog in your case should hardly be considered a killer but you should stay away with your little dog. Hardly seems worth getting people overly excited if the people acted responsibly. Can I tell you a story about an a-hole owner with a killer pit-bull?

Posted on: 2010/12/6 21:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
THANK YOU mercyme. oh i don't worry about those who like to try to upset people with their ridiculous posts. i am a newbie posting but not a newbie reading these. ;) they won't even get a response from me. :)))))

Posted on: 2010/12/6 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It sucks when your dog gets hurt and I do think the other owner needs to train their dog better.

But Yorkies are as fragile as eggshells and need to be treated as such, which means keeping them away from anything larger than a Chihuahua. I?m amazed they can even walk with those pencil-thin legs. If you?re going to keep a teeny tiny dog as a pet you should be aware that large dogs are going to treat it like a chewtoy, that kids might play too rough with it, and that a bird of prey might pick it up if it?s left alone.

Posted on: 2010/12/6 19:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 16:39
Group:
Registered Users
I, for one, am not picking a fight and sorry if my previous post came across as rude.

I have a dog who is a member of my family and similar things have happened to her. I also had a dog that got in a fight with another and I did pay their vet bill. While it is a crappy situation, I guess I just meant it's best to chalk it up to error. Describing the dog owners and dog on the site will not do anything. It is possible the yorkie provoked the other dog and this black and white dog will be perfectly fine with other dogs. You never know what will set off an animal (or human animal for that matter).

Also, it sounds as though the owners did what they should in that situation... "They wanted to take our number and also offered to by her a new collar".

Posting a beware of dog warning seems very unfair.

Posted on: 2010/12/6 19:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/19 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
You guys are really rude. I'm sure the dog owner thinks the dog is a member of their family - and were upset that it was injured in a fight.

Just like any of you would be if you or a family member was hurt.

instead you jump all over a "newbie" about the post. No wonder nobody wants to write anything on this site. You're all angry people sitting around waiting to pick a fight.

Posted on: 2010/12/6 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Larger dogs eat smaller dogs, it?s the circle of life. Also rats or large birds would eat Yorkies, I imagine. Yorkies are basically hairy babies on coke if you?re gonna let it outside you should keep it in a stroller.

Posted on: 2010/12/6 17:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 16:39
Group:
Registered Users
Dogs will be dogs.
Just as humans get rubbed the wrong way by humans, so do animals. This is the chance we all take as dog owners.

Posted on: 2010/12/6 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Sounds like you've learned a lesson. Some larger dogs will try this move with little dogs. It's happened to mine in an off-leash dogpark. Dogs are property in the eyes of the law. Take care of your property. BTW? If both dogs were leashed it really should be a 50/50 split on any Vet bills.

Posted on: 2010/12/6 16:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
yes, both dogs leashed. they just greeted each other and the big dog immediately growled and picked her up. the owners said it was ok for dogs to meet each other before it happened.

Posted on: 2010/12/6 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Someone side-swiped my car once. Didn't do a lot of damage but they also didn't leave a note or take responsibility. What's the point of your post?

Posted on: 2010/12/6 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
were both dogs leashed when this occurred?

Posted on: 2010/12/6 15:50

Beware of Dog!!

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday our little 7 lb. dog (yorkie) was picked up in the middle of her body by a medium/large sized dog. It picked her up in the air about 2.5-3 feet high. Luckily she had her coat on so there doesn't seem to be any bodily damage. However, her eye was scratched and a little bloody. We are taking her to vet this AM because her eye closed up overnight - dried puss (don't think anymore blood though). It could just be from trauma but we need to be sure it isn't infected.

The owners didn't seem much help. The girl helped get our dog away from their dog. Male/female couple in their late 20s(?). He had dark hair and she has blonde hair/blue eyes - both about 5'8" tall. Dog was black with white spot. Couldn't even guess the breed as it all happened too quickly. There was a cop nearby who drove over and a vet ran out of 77 Hudson where incident occurred to check her. We didn't exchange information. They wanted to take our number and also offered to by her a new collar. I hope when we see them again, they will do the right thing and pay the vet bill from today. That is all we ask - that they do the right thing and be decent human beings. We shall see.

Just wanted neighborhood to be aware. Please be careful with your little ones!! :)

Posted on: 2010/12/6 15:41

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017