Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Satis Bistro -Cafe - Gelato in Paulus Hook
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I've never worked in a restaurant in my life. I'd heard great things about Satis on this board. My family -- two parents, two teenage boys -- decided to try it. We are regulars at Madame Claude and Marco and Pepe. Oddly enough, I dined at both restaurants they day they opened. We all enjoyed everything we had, with the exception of the tuna, which was not bad but not up to the quality of everything else. Everyone was courteous and professional. I have no financial benefit to posting a glowing review of this restaurant, and I have recommended highly to friends.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

sounds like a great place to eat I will try and make it down there on the weekend.

(if the streets a plowed)

Posted on: 2011/1/11 20:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
I am in fact Anthony Bourdain. Well no not really, but I am his cousin Jean Claude. But unfortunately, I do not have an interest in Satis other then the fact that I think it is a unique gem in the sea of southern italian, pub fare, and asian fusion food that is jersey city.

I never said Lighthouse was pub food. I said it was a pub, which it is. I do think its food is simple. And there by its core definition, Light Horse food is pedestrian. Its not overlay complicated or imaginative, and it fits that niche. There is nothing wrong with that but in its genesis that is safe.

Also, although their are some variations in the menu - Light Horse, Merchant, The Hamilton Inn, Edwards, and Skinners Loft all feel like a very similar restaurant concept. Verging on the marriage of Gastro and Pub. Nothing wrong with that. But not as adventurous or different then what I have seen in Satis.

And given that, yes The Light Horse is Pedestrian.

And that is what I like about Satis. Its not safe and that is what contrasts it from the rest of the restaurants in the area. I am enamored by someone that has the guts to do something different. To challenge convention and not apologize for it.

Fact is you cant please everyone. Some people love basic chicken parm (as do I) but that is all they want at of life. Because its good and it rarely disappoints you. There is nothing wrong with choosing that. But I admire someone that takes risks and up until this point Satis is the most risky thing in restaurants to come to area.

I admire them for that. That is all I am saying. Some people like Hemingway and Renoir. Others like Pollack and Bukowski.

And neither is right or wrong. But I admire the latter.

Its not so much the menu, per se. But the whole vibe of the place.

In the words of Kerouac....the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

And no I dont wear a fadora or skinny jeans. Peace out.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCProducer wrote:
I love how people say their are "lots" of options in the neighborhood and DTJC as a whole. There are like 6-8 decent restaurants in all of downtown JC. If you slice that down to Paulus Hook you have less then that.

Lighthorse is pedestrian. Its a pub. Its a place for a good burger and a beer. Anything else on the menu could be made by a 22 yr old grad of the CIA. Presto is an upgrade to the Olive Garden. Yes its good. But that is it, its not pushing the boundaries of Italian Cuisine in any way.

When many people say italian is good, they are usually just saying americanized southern family style italian fare. Its like when Old people call a restaurant good - Really they are just saying its cheap and there are big portions. The flavors are not dramatically impressive or sophisticated. They are just good.

Spirt if Laximi is great indian. I dig it and its worth going in for.

Johns pizza is ok. Not impressive. Paulus Hook Brick oven is a good slice, but is not going to make me compare it to the pizza of Naples.

Now Satis. Satis takes balls. Satis is a place that reminds me of Babo or Lupa its in design. But makes me feel comfortable, like as if I was at a Trattoria in a back street in Florence. Its a balance of design and atmosphere. That is what I expect from a restaurant especially when I am paying for that experience.

I love a good burger from Corner Bistro, and its plebeian decor is what adds to my love for it. But Satis, clearly has nailed the experience. But experience without heart and soul is nothing. Kind of like like driving a Ferarri with a 4 cylinder engine.

Satis has heart. It has soul. It has spirit and that is delivered in the form of a plate of love. Satis in the end has balls. And there is nothing like it in JC and maybe not all of Hudson County. It reminds me in its own way of Culinariane in Montclair. Same level of sophistication, atmosphere, taste and top notch service.

Mike keep up the great work and continue to have the guts to do what you do. Envy and Jealousy are transparent and they will nip at your hells, but overtime, they will come to shine your shoes and you bask in your glory.

Geez, do we think we're Anthony Bourdain or something? I think someone's been watching too much Top Chef.

And to call Lighthorse "pub food" and "pedestrian" is ridiculous. I've been there a ton of times and I wouldn't call it that. We were there last week and I had a duck entree with figs and it was delicious. I haven't been to too many "pubs" that have duck on the menu. Your officious and douchey post really turns me off from even trying Satis. I suspect you either know the owners or have something to do with the establishment.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Went there last week with my wife and 2 year old and had an excellent meal. The ambiance, service, price and most importantly the food were excellent. Try the risotto and gnocchi - very good. I'll definitely be going back! By the way, the lunch menu also looks excellent and the prices are well priced.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 16:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/2 1:40
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to respond to a statement made by JMCEE. You stated that being asked if you had a reservation seemed unnecessary because the place was nearly empty. Just because a place is empty at the moment you are there doesn't mean that there are not reservations coming in. Most restaurants "allow" for a 2 hour turnover time, so if they were full with reservations coming in even within an hour of your arrival they probably wouldn't seat you. I have been in the restaurant business for years and most people don't understand this, just thought I'd clear it up. With that being said, the gruff attitude you said you received certainly didn't help your experience and was wrong. I have not been to Satis yet but after reading these posts I can't wait to give it a try.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
How are some people saying this place is pricey ... I don't see any entree on the menu over $22? Seems average for the area.

And JCproducer, I agree with much of what you're saying, but I disagree that Lighthorse is "pedestrian". I also think it's an insult to call Presto's an upgraded Olive Garden. While it may not "push the boundaries" of Italian fare, it is pretty good red sauce Italian American grub, and that's a hole that needs to be filled in any neighborhood.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 14:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCProducer wrote:
Lighthorse is pedestrian. Its a pub. Its a place for a good burger and a beer. Anything else on the menu could be made by a 22 yr old grad of the CIA.

I would have to say that while I like Satis very much, it is not on the same level as Light Horse. I've been to Light Horse about 100 times, and had just about everything on the menu. Their food is consistently a good deal better than anything else in the area, and I've never come close to having a bad experience there. Calling Light Horse Tavern a "pub" is a fairly ridiculous exaggeration.

I've been to Satis 4 times now, and while the food is better than almost anything in the area, I wouldn't say it's better than Light Horse. It does come close though. Satis has a pretty nice interior, but if you're comparing it to Light Horse, it definitely isn't on the same level.

I am very glad Satis is here, and it will undoubtedly be taking some of my business from Light Horse. However, If I'm going to be taking someone to a serious business dinner, or even a date, Light Horse is going to be my first choice in the area.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 14:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I tried Satis...and I think it was good but not amazing. Definitely a good option for JC but I think the food at Marco Pepe is better.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 14:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
JC Producer hit the nail on the head. I think Satis is great. We need more places like this in JC.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
JC PRODUCER, YOU ARE 100% CORRECT!!!! Half these people are still going to lunch at Hollywood Chicken!!

Posted on: 2011/1/10 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
We went for brunch on Sunday which was our first experience with Satis. We got there shortly after they opened and there were already a few tables that had been seated by 11:15AM. We asked for a table for three and the waiter gruffly asked if we had a reservation which seemed a little unnecessary since the place was nearly empty. He seemed a little miffed but sat upstairs and gave us menus. It was uncomfortably hot up there as it seemed that the heat ducts were blowing right at us. We weren't blown away by our choices from the brunch menu but I will have to come back to try the dinner menu before passing final judgment. Overall we liked the place and I'm sure they will be doing some fine tuning as they move forward.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Hey I know it not the NY Times but you people should really pick up a copy of the JJ every now and then.

Look what you missed?(you bad yuppies!!).

New Jersey City restaurant Satis-fies with Old World flavors and contemporary style

JJ piece (with picture and info about Mike)

Posted on: 2011/1/10 20:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/3 18:44
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think anyone here is claiming to be a food critic. Food critics don't go out to restaurants, they review them. They also get special treatment and alterations at many places, which leads me to rely on real peoples accounts of restaurants. I can't say how many times there's been a great "Critics pick" review of a place and I've had an awful experience and meal there. I find all of the comments helpful. Maybe the fact that Mike from the restaurant reads these forums means he actually cares what the people who live and spend their money in JC have to say.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
I had the gnocchi at lunchtime on Thursday - I agree - WOW

Posted on: 2011/1/10 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
ate here friday! delicious! more $ than the average JC joint, but also is a step above many of the other places as well. for 4 of us the bill came out to $140 but we had a number of appetizers because they are small. all of us agreed the food was divine, nice ambiance and quite busy. definitely a place for an "experience" or dining with friends and not to go when you're in a hurry. i ordered the gnocchi... wow!

Posted on: 2011/1/10 19:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
I love how people say their are "lots" of options in the neighborhood and DTJC as a whole. There are like 6-8 decent restaurants in all of downtown JC. If you slice that down to Paulus Hook you have less then that.

Lighthorse is pedestrian. Its a pub. Its a place for a good burger and a beer. Anything else on the menu could be made by a 22 yr old grad of the CIA. Presto is an upgrade to the Olive Garden. Yes its good. But that is it, its not pushing the boundaries of Italian Cuisine in any way.

When many people say italian is good, they are usually just saying americanized southern family style italian fare. Its like when Old people call a restaurant good - Really they are just saying its cheap and there are big portions. The flavors are not dramatically impressive or sophisticated. They are just good.

Spirt if Laximi is great indian. I dig it and its worth going in for.

Johns pizza is ok. Not impressive. Paulus Hook Brick oven is a good slice, but is not going to make me compare it to the pizza of Naples.

Now Satis. Satis takes balls. Satis is a place that reminds me of Babo or Lupa its in design. But makes me feel comfortable, like as if I was at a Trattoria in a back street in Florence. Its a balance of design and atmosphere. That is what I expect from a restaurant especially when I am paying for that experience.

I love a good burger from Corner Bistro, and its plebeian decor is what adds to my love for it. But Satis, clearly has nailed the experience. But experience without heart and soul is nothing. Kind of like like driving a Ferarri with a 4 cylinder engine.

Satis has heart. It has soul. It has spirit and that is delivered in the form of a plate of love. Satis in the end has balls. And there is nothing like it in JC and maybe not all of Hudson County. It reminds me in its own way of Culinariane in Montclair. Same level of sophistication, atmosphere, taste and top notch service.

Mike keep up the great work and continue to have the guts to do what you do. Envy and Jealousy are transparent and they will nip at your hells, but overtime, they will come to shine your shoes and you bask in your glory.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Food, service, ambience was incredible. We were thrilled to find this place and excited to return, almost did two days in a row but need some discipline to keep the waistline down after the holidays!

Had a peer comment how often these websites can be a new restaurants nightmare as average people become "food critics". Thought I'd post the article for interest: Food bloggers dish up plates of spicy criticism / Formerly formal discipline of reviewing becomes a free-for-all for online amateurs: http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-03-25 ... food-critic-food-industry

Posted on: 2011/1/10 18:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/3 18:44
Group:
Registered Users
Went in Satis last night (Sun), not realizing they had a special menu for sundays. We ended up walking out. Although I will go back to try the regular menu, it was such a weird vibe in there we had to leave. When we first walked in, the place was pretty empty. They sat us (table of three) and explained about the special "Family style" menu. Proceeded to say that all entrees were for two. Even though we were three if we wanted more than one entree it would still have to be the double portion. (These entrees were $50-$60s). Which isn't cheap for basic pasta and stew type dishes. The waiter could tell we were not prepared for this and proceeded to oddly say the chef will ONLY make the gnocchi off the regular menu. Then said maybe they have some fish from last night that he might make. Anyway, we decided to leave instead of be forced into a family style meal.

For future sunday "family style" specials I would suggest still offering the regular menu as well. Maybe having a few selections you can order family style as a separate special. Or maybe just offer to do a single portion?

I realize they are trying something new, which I can appreciate. It was just odd to not offer any real solution to keep customers in the restaurant. We walked, isn't that the worse situation for an establishment? The place and regular menu looked great. Like I said, I will be going back on a regular menu night. I haven't given up hope for a new great place in town...hopefully it won't disappoint!

Posted on: 2011/1/10 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Went for dinner last weeK and LOVED my appetizer (chickpea panisse). It was crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside and the highlight of my meal. My boyfriend had the spinach salad which was pretty standard. For an entree I had the oil poached tuna and thought it was a little overcooked and really nothing special. My boyfriend had the special braised venison with spaetzle which was hearty and deeply flavored, definitely the tastier of the two. We got a chocolate pots de creme and poppy seed cake for dessert. Neither were amazing but that may have been because we were pretty stuffed already. The portions are generous here.

Overall, I enjoyed my meal but was disappointed after all the great feedback I'd read on jclist. The atmosphere was definitely one of the most sophisticated in jc and the service was excellent (except it dropped off a little at the end) but the food wasn't the greatest. I'm sure it will do well as it fills a need in ph but I probably won't be making the trek back. As a personal preference, I like places that are a little less stuffy.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 16:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/25 22:25
Group:
Registered Users
It is no secret - Satis is serving delicious food for dinner and it is a great addition for PH. I've had dinner there twice and there is really nothing to complain about. The prices are good too.

I finally had their brunch this weekend, and the food was equally as tasty! Ironically I felt brunch was over priced, though. It would be nice if they had a simple bacon and eggs for under $10.

Lastly, a note about lunch. Since I moved to JC a year ago, I have been saddened by the lack of a legitimate sandwich shop. I do not work in JC so I cannot enjoy a sandwich from Milano's deli as much as I would like - they are closed on weekends!

Satis has an amazing sandwich list - and the waiter said they make their own mozzarella. I am hoping to have a nice italian sandwich someday, but since you cannot order sandwiches during brunch, I guess I'll have to wait for a sick day to eat one.

UNLESS Satis makes sandwiches available during the weekend. That would solve my problem. In fact, in my opinion the gelato store could easily offer a few sandwiches "to go."

Posted on: 2011/1/10 15:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/7 14:49
Group:
Registered Users
No, I live in the neighborhood and go out to eat allot. Not in the food business at all. Sorry but it was a disappointment. Went into another establishment for a glass of wine and found myself looking at other peoples food and wanting to get that to eat. Change your ways or your doomed. I wanted Satis to be great, I did and its still has a chance but If they dont have spirits, really have amazing food that will keep people coming back.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 3:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 16:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lefty55 wrote:
I'm guessin "the competition", what aya think?

Agreed... The food is excellent and actually quite inexpensive for the quality..

Posted on: 2011/1/10 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I'm guessin "the competition", what aya think?

Posted on: 2011/1/10 1:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/7 14:49
Group:
Registered Users
Ate there a 2 weeks ago. Not impressed at all. Overpriced and the food was terrible. Sad but with so many other great places to eat its never going to last in this neighborhood.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 1:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/11 19:49
Group:
Registered Users
Had a wonderful lunch at Satis yesterday and plan on returning again and again. Food and service was top notch and byob is a wonderful addition to the neighborhood. BTW - they no longer are charging a corkage fee which is not allowed anywhere in Jersey City as per the division of Commerce liquor licenses, etc. But you should be kind to your waitors.
Wish this place all the best for years to come!

Posted on: 2011/1/9 2:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/12 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, it's Mike from Satis. Just wanted to thank everyone for their support and kind words. If you haven't tried us yet, please come see us this weekend as we begin our brunch service Saturday and Sundays 11am-4pm. Also, starting next week we will be opening Sunday nights for dinner from 5:30pm-10pm. Sunday dinners will feature a special family style menu (all entress for two). I will try and have the website updated with menus by today or tomorrow!

Posted on: 2011/1/6 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Do the have a water bowl and litter box? I wouldn't want to take my dog and cat to a place that isn't pet friendly.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
There's only one room.

The brats should stay home, with their parents. The other children are welcome to sit by me anytime.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Hope they keep the brats in a separate room!

Posted on: 2011/1/6 0:35

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017