Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: CITY DISTRIBUTES LAYOFF & DEMOTION NOTICES TODAY
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I am guessing that violent crime reports will increase as the "fraternal order" decide to report each and every incident to make a point. In the past I am sure violent crimes were not reported either out of laziness or an attempt to win elections. The JCPD often makes me feel like I am in a Sidney Lumet movie from the 1970's.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 20:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/24 13:20
Group:
Registered Users
over the past year, I have called the police over 150 times reporting drug activity, open container drinking, parking violations, fights, and the list goes on and on.

70% of the time that JCPD actually showed up, the officers never even got out of their vehicle.

The JCPD has only ever arrested one person as result of all of these tips.

Stop being so lazy, and maybe you could increase the revenue by issuing tickets, making arrests, etc.

If officers aren't generating enough revenue in tickets to justify their jobs, or even doing their job - what do you expect??

Posted on: 2010/12/31 14:49

Re: CITY REBUFFS POLICE UNION OFFER FOR CONSESSIONS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
The city also intends to demote several Captains and Lieutenants after promoting four Inspectors to the rank of Deputy Chief. A move that the city argues will save the department money but has devastated morale across the police department.

My income has dropped more than 40% during the past two years due to this recession while my taxes have gone up 40%.

So please spare us the "devasted morale" crap.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 14:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/26 15:55
From Ward A
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for your warm wishes.

Happy New Year

Posted on: 2010/12/31 12:47
bonum commune communitatis

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
your laziness has cost you. professionalism matters!

Posted on: 2010/12/31 5:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Ward A
Group:
Registered Users
Charon,

The JCPD IS willing to accept a pay lag. The problem with the uniform allowance is that 6 months ago the JCPD gave concessions worth over $6 million.

How can we know the the city won't come back 6 months from now and ask for more?

When is enough enough?

Posted on: 2010/12/31 4:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Ward A
Group:
Registered Users
I love that idea! Call the Mayor's office to suggest it.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 4:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What about calling in all police officers at one time and do a drug and steroid use test............those that fail get the boot!

Posted on: 2010/12/31 2:31
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Russian Police after their training exchange program with the JCPD

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/12/31 2:09
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
As hard as they appear to work compared to other cities I've lived in, I believe we residents will not notice any difference. They are lazy, undisciplined and the most unprofessional police force I've ever seen.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
JerseyOfficer,

Why won't you accept the pay lag ? All other City employees did it years ago.

And why won't you sacrifice your uniform allowance for one year ? All other City workers are being furloughed and are losing more.

It appears the Police union is simply unwilling to make any concessions in a tough economic time.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 1:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 16:10
Group:
Registered Users
With all due respect to JerseyOfficer, I vote for both fear mongering, wishful thinking and and added bit of hyperbole thrown in for good measure. Jersey City = Newark...if so the JCPD as currently constituted sure is no help...so what's losing 82 of them going to change? They are in a union right? Shouldn't they stand together and each take a hit if they are so concerned about public safety and keeping those 82 officers on the job. They can spare me with how concerned they are with public safety...my a$$. Public employees, the police included, will just have to learn the pay/benefits rocketship is crashing back to Earth. If every one of them disappeared tomorrow there would be a line stretching from here to Delaware with people who would do the job for half the pay and none of the arrogance that's displayed by the current batch.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm genuinely sympathetic to anyone who loses their job in this economy and am really supportive of the officers who do their jobs, lay their lives on the line and perform their duties with pride and valor. But it's hard to feel sorry for the three or four cops who stand 30 feet away from the intersection at Dickinson High at noon and 3 p.m. when the kids get out and run wild, dart in and out of traffic and cause incredible mayhem. It's also hard to muster sympathy for a union that is so closed minded and uncooperative. Maybe some of the too-many management level police officers should spend time analyzing who in their ranks are the deadwood and save the jobs of the truly deserving men and women.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe this is why there was such a poor job of plowing especially in the Heights. And Kennedy Blvd. is still bumper to bumper during the afternoon rush. They even admitted it in Nyc that the guys there being laid off did a bad job plowing to protest the layoffs.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 23:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Ward A
Group:
Registered Users
Not fearmongering, but fact.

According to the Star-Ledger, violent crime in Newark has risen 32% since the layoffs.

Most certainly not wishful thinking either.

Thank you for your comment.

Happy New Year.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 22:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 3:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyOfficer wrote:

?...they are condemning Jersey City to the fate we are seeing in other cities, like Newark, that have reduced their police department and are now suffering a major spike in violent crimes.?

fearmongering, wishful-thinking, or both?

Posted on: 2010/12/30 22:35

CITY REBUFFS POLICE UNION OFFER FOR CONSESSIONS

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Ward A
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY, NJ, DECEMBER 30, 2010: As 82 officers received their dismissal notices today, JC POBA President; Jerry Decicco met with city officials to discuss possible solutions to avert the pending dismissal. One of the suggestions which city officials rebuffed was earmarking $906,000 for the police budget from the recent $2.8 million sale from an ordinance consenting to the sale and assignment of the tax exemption and financial agreement from Essex Waterfront Urban Renewal Entity, LLC, to Liberty Towers Urban Renewal, LLC, pursuant to Section 9.1 of the financial agreement and the Long Term Exemption Law N.J.S.A.40A:20-1 et seq. City officials refused to disclose to the JC POBA what they intend to use the money for other than implying that the money would be deposited into the General Fund.

The city also intends to demote several Captains and Lieutenants after promoting four Inspectors to the rank of Deputy Chief. A move that the city argues will save the department money but has devastated morale across the police department.

The JC POBA has agreed to have its membership vote on the pay lag city officials have asked for which would save the city $3.4 millions dollars. ?All we?re asking from the Mayor is to do his part and meet us half-way. We are determined to find a solution that will keep 82 police officers protecting Jersey City, but if this administration remains stonewalled, they are condemning Jersey City to the fate we are seeing in other cities, like Newark, that have reduced their police department and are now suffering a major spike in violent crimes.?

Posted on: 2010/12/30 22:20

CITY DISTRIBUTES LAYOFF & DEMOTION NOTICES TODAY

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Ward A
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY, NJ, DECEMBER 30, 2010: 82 recently hired police officers will receive their official notices today from the City of Jersey City announcing their last day of employment will be February 15, 2011. Approximately 2 Captains and 4 Lieutenants will also receive notice that their promotions will be rescinded effective February 15, 2010. The city intends to reduce the police force unless it can close a $900,000 gap in the police budget.

The Jersey City PBA is working closely with city officials to find a solution in order to avoid any layoffs. Jerry Dicicco has told city officials, ?We remain open to suggestions and we will continue to offer sound revenue generating solutions that can address the budget deficit faster than laying off police officers, we can only hope for the administrations cooperation.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:49

Re: Jersey City Police Department lay offs and budget cuts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Anybody out there paying attention to whats going on in Newark? It's only a matter of time before it gets to JC.

Just in case you're not paying attention:

From NBCNewYork.com:

"This weekend we are at full force," Newark Mayor Cory Booker told an impromptu news conference just hours after a man and a woman were gunned down in one of the city's neighborhoods.

Booker says he has even called the White House in an effort to find any possible grants that can be used to beef up the struggle of New Jersey's largest city against a spike in violence that is being felt in other urban areas as well.

Meanwhile, Paul Loriquet, a spokesman for state Attorney General Paul Dow, told NBCNewYork, "If called upon, State Police have a contingency plan to provide assistance" -- an offer Booker suggested is not needed at this time.

The shooting of two people on the day before Christmas appeared to be retaliatory as the drive-by car used by the gunman was stolen, found abandoned a few blocks away.

"They were asking for help, saying I'm bleeding, I've been shot," said Alex Furman, a clerk at the bodega where the pair staggered into for help.

A man shot and killed Thursday night had a long criminal past and had survived a shooting last summer. Not this time, as the gunmen used an automatic rifle more at home in Iraq to fire 41 times at him, according to police.

And a gathering of five teens earlier may also be what Police Director Garry McCarthy termed "possibly retaliatory" as one of the juvenile victims who was wounded appeared to be trying to get to an Uzi submachine gun in a building just a few feet away.

Two of his buddies were killed and the other two, like him, survived with gunshot wounds.

Some have speculated that the surge in violence can be tied to the recent layoffs of 164 police officers.

Mayor Booker strongly disagreed, noting the spike began before the officers were laid off.

And he said that the police presence on the streets of his city is just as strong as it was before, with desks emptied and the spending of "hundreds of thousands of dollars on overtime."

In addition, a car jacking task force formed with other law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, has had striking success since it was formed just two weeks ago.

Even the Essex County Prosecutor's office is skeptical that laying off officers has a direct connection.

"I think the layoffs have been too recent to have any impact on an increase in violence," said Thomas Fennelly, Chief Assistant Prosecutor.

But his Chief of Detectives, Anthony Ambrose, did say that most of this violence is caused by ex-cons recently released from prison who return home to no jobs and no alternatives.

"And they can do nothing but revert back to the criminal element," Ambrose said.

The Mayor meanwhile, who was out on the streets of his city at 3 a.m. on Christmas Eve Day, said he expected to be back out again as Christmas Eve gave way to Christmas Day in an attempt to keep his city focused on ending the violence.

Follow Brian Thompson on Twitter @brian4NY

Posted on: 2010/12/25 4:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 15:28
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody out there paying attention to whats going on in Newark? It's only a matter of time before it gets to JC.

Posted on: 2010/12/25 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCPA wrote:
Let me start by introducing myself, I'm Mary Spinello-Paretti,the CEO of the Jersey City Parking Authority. I have been reading the posts about the Authority and would like to clarify some of the information being discussed.

It is true the JCPA receives funding from the city, this agreement goes back to 1991, when the city transferred the Enforcement Division from the city to the Authority. The actual amount of the appropriation has not changed since then, in fact it has decreased 21.12% since 2009. This funding no longer covers the cost of the Enforcement Division, it covers about half of their salaries and benefits; the residential permit program and Operations Division are fully funded by revenue generated by the Authority and the programs they operate.

On an annual basis the Authority generates between 8-10 million dollars in revenue that goes directly to the city; the funding the city gives to the JCPA comes from the money the Authority generates, the city keeps the remainder of the money which is approximately 6 million dollars.

Over the past five years the Authority has reduced its workforce by approximatley 25%. The fact that we barely break even on an annual basis is evidence of excellent management.

On a separate note, the Authority will not be enforcing alternate side of the street parking (street sweepers) from Thursday December 23rd through Saturday, January 1st; regular enforcement will start on Monday, January 3rd.
Happy Holidays to all.

I can be contacted at MSpinello@jcpa.org

Thanks for posting Mary. I must say however, it's confusing rather than enlightening. "JCPA gives revenue to the city which then give you back some of it"? Why isn't it run like a corporation that pays it's employees and bills out of it's revenue, and then passes on it's profits to it's owners (us)? But I guess the IRS operates the same way, with it's budget allocated by congress.

Do I understand correctly from you that the JCPA generates 3 to 4 times it's operating budget in cash that it passes on to JC? That's great, I recall a few years ago the JCPA budget of around $6m exceeded it's expenses, causing the JCPA to sell city owned parking lots to balance it's budget. But I don't understand how the statement "we barely break even on an annual basis" fits in.

Perhaps you could link to a PDF of the most recent financial report of the JCPA so we can understand better it's cashflow and how your work benefits JC? I assume this is public information. If not could you explain why? There's no financial info at all on your website.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 23:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/20 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Let me start by introducing myself, I'm Mary Spinello-Paretti,the CEO of the Jersey City Parking Authority. I have been reading the posts about the Authority and would like to clarify some of the information being discussed.

It is true the JCPA receives funding from the city, this agreement goes back to 1991, when the city transferred the Enforcement Division from the city to the Authority. The actual amount of the appropriation has not changed since then, in fact it has decreased 21.12% since 2009. This funding no longer covers the cost of the Enforcement Division, it covers about half of their salaries and benefits; the residential permit program and Operations Division are fully funded by revenue generated by the Authority and the programs they operate.

On an annual basis the Authority generates between 8-10 million dollars in revenue that goes directly to the city; the funding the city gives to the JCPA comes from the money the Authority generates, the city keeps the remainder of the money which is approximately 6 million dollars.

Over the past five years the Authority has reduced its workforce by approximatley 25%. The fact that we barely break even on an annual basis is evidence of excellent management.

On a separate note, the Authority will not be enforcing alternate side of the street parking (street sweepers) from Thursday December 23rd through Saturday, January 1st; regular enforcement will start on Monday, January 3rd.
Happy Holidays to all.

I can be contacted at MSpinello@jcpa.org

Posted on: 2010/12/20 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
Charon, well said. The Unions only care about themselves, not the public. The compensation is triple or quadruple the average Americans, when you figure in retirement benefits. This comp is sick! Christie and taxpayers will fix this in time

Posted on: 2010/12/19 2:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/18 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/12/18 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Great ....... less frontline officers, but more pencil pushers.

We have too many chiefs and not enough indians !

Posted on: 2010/12/18 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
These layoffs would not be necessary if the Police agreed to the same one week pay lag the rest of the City employees took years ago. No police officers will lose any money. Sadly, the Police union would rather see the layoffs then to offer any concessions.

And please stop talking about leaving the Traditonal plan for medical insurance as a major sacrifice. It isn't. Every other City employee is now out of the Traditional plan. The Police shouldn't be any different.

The Jersey City Police seem to be fond of asking others to make sacrifices so they can remain the highest paid PD in the State. These latest promotions of Deputy Chiefs are just another cynical slap in the face of City taxpayers.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ripple wrote:
Quote:
Not the continuation of dystopian police-state tactics like traffic cams.

I'm almost always against cameras for speeding, but NJ drivers are so bad and the cops around here do so little enforcement of traffic laws that cameras for red lights are almost necessary. I don't see any other way to (re)educate NJ drivers that: there's no orange between yellow & red, and you have to stop first (completely) if you want to make a right on red.

In Newark this past year, there were traffic cameras installed at Raymond & McCarter and at Raymond & Broad. Whereas seeing the last few cars blatantly run the red used to be commonplace, it's pretty rare now.

story on Newark Red Light cams

Good example, but it needs to be used as a traffic enforcement tool, not as a cash cow the way some cities have done with face cameras and moving violation tickets, some cities have even been accused of shortening the yellow to produce more tickets. However the protest of the drivers advocate in the article that people only blow red lights at poorly designed intersections is nonsense. People do it simply because they correctly think they can get away with it. I'd love to see some of these suburban pricks in their BMW's who zoom through our streets get some large tickets. The cameras pay for themselves rather than cost $150k in salary and benefits, and when they've put in their 20, they're recycled rather than retiring on "disability".

But I fail to see what's confusing about Marin. The only problem seems to be there's no light where some people would like one to be to save a little walking, and it has the citywide problem of speeding. Does anyone know that there isn't one in the works? It takes half a decade for the state DOT to run a proposed light through the approval process.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City promoting four police supervisors, 82 officers still set to be laid off

Friday, December 17, 2010, 12:58 PM
By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal

While Jersey City is set to lay off 82 police officers and demote 12 supervisors next year, the four police inspectors will be promoted today to the rank of deputy chief.

Jennifer Morrill a spokeswoman for the mayor said while the city would have saved $33,000 in salary costs by demoting the four men, it will save far more than that in overtime costs in 2011 because deputy chiefs are not entitled to overtime.

The four inspectors have also agreed to forgo their raises in 2011.

The city submitted a plan to the state Civil Service Commission this year that called for the elimination of the inspectors rank. Under that proposal the inspectors would have been demoted to captains. The department will be left with the ranks of chief, deputy chief, captain, lieutenant and sergeant.

But instead, those inspectors are being promoted today and will join Deputy Chief Peter Nalbach, who has been the department's only deputy chief since 2007.

The promotions are similar to those in the fire department earlier this year, when five captains became battalion chiefs. At the time Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said the five men agreed to forgo their raises until July 1, 2011 and that the promotions saved the city a lot in overtime costs.

Jerry DiCicco, president of the Police Officers Benevolent Association, said he has worked with the four inspectors for over 20 years and they are ?talented and experienced? but he still took issue with the promotions, when 82 of his members are facing layoffs.

?Team Healy just delivered another kick in the teeth to the young 82 officers who will be unemployed in 45 days,?
DiCicco said. ?If they are claiming the promotions are saving money then they should promote everybody. Don?t lay off cops, hire more police and promote across the ranks and by using their calculations the police budget should be overflowing with money.?

Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop, who has already announced his intention to run against Healy in 2013, has been the sole council member to speak out against the layoffs.

?Only in Team Healy?s world does promoting people save money,? Fulop said. ?The priority should be saving the lower level street officers that are facing layoffs not figuring out ways to protect political friends in management positions.?

The POBA has been protesting the layoffs and had about 200 members and supporters at Wednesday?s City Council meeting.

Healy has said he is asking the officers to forgo their $1,300 annual uniform allowance and agree to a pay lag, which would mean their last pay check in 2011 is paid in January 2012. He said combined the measures would save the city $4 million and he would agree to not layoff any officers next year.

But the union leaders and city administration have been unable to reach a compromise.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Not the continuation of dystopian police-state tactics like traffic cams.

I'm almost always against cameras for speeding, but NJ drivers are so bad and the cops around here do so little enforcement of traffic laws that cameras for red lights are almost necessary. I don't see any other way to (re)educate NJ drivers that: there's no orange between yellow & red, and you have to stop first (completely) if you want to make a right on red.

In Newark this past year, there were traffic cameras installed at Raymond & McCarter and at Raymond & Broad. Whereas seeing the last few cars blatantly run the red used to be commonplace, it's pretty rare now.

story on Newark Red Light cams

Posted on: 2010/12/18 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wow. A bad attitude combined with a conflicting positions like being against a "police state" yet wanting to force a private developer to build a bridge over a public road, rather than walk down to the light and crosswalk at 8th. Not that a stop light at 9th isn't a good idea, but the whining for footbridges over everything from Marin to the Morris Canal to the Hudson itself is tedious. Maybe you need to move to the burbs if a city street is that terrifying to you.("sidewalks are too close to traffic"!!!)

Marin is in no way a "city street," being bounded as it is by a SHOPPING MALL one one side and an enormous PARKING LOT on the other. SHOPPING MALLS and PARKING LOTS are not what I'd call representative of modern urban living. What it IS is an example of terrible urban planning and, as you yourself have pointed out, Mr. Consistency, a developer running roughshod over the people of Hamilton Park. And demanding that developers respect and provide for the safety of both their residents and the neighborhoods is not an example of police-state tactics. It's called "the social contract." Putting cameras everywhere, on the other hand, is the literal implementation of the Big Brother nightmare. Way to miss the difference.

High-speed traffic combined with a confusing traffic pattern intersecting the major route by which thousands of Jersey City residents must cross to reach public transportation seems like a legitimate concern to me, not a case of whining. Further, you'd only have to build one side of the foot-bridge - the other could join to the second level of the parking deck, thus eliminating the need for two elevators as well.

BTW, your beloved Manhattan, which would qualify as a city, has traffic lights at the corner of every street - and has been doing incredible things to make it more walkable.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 23:00

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017