Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: JCPD cutbacks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc344 wrote:
As for speeding I guess when your child is going to school and someone doing 45mph in a 25 mph zone hits your child you might changed your warped views.

Interesting - I live near Grand Street and I'd be happy if the cars only went 45mph as they tore their way to the waterfront in the morning or from it in the evening. You don't make a very good case for the need for police if you are pointing to traffic enforcement as something the JCPD does well.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 17:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/3 4:20
Group:
Registered Users
Hey carpetbaggertil718,I'm done. I should know better. I don't know why I do this to myself. JSleeze and robotjustin proved my point. They have nothing to add except idiotic rants. By the way I am not a cop. Good luck in your future out of control crime ridden city.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 16:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/15 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
Jsleazy does the math and states that the avg cop answers 5 calls per eight hours and asks what am I missing? For starters the evening tour and midnight tours are 2 man cars , detectives investigate crimes they don't answer calls, supervisors don't answer calls for service. Every time there is a report needed that unit is out of service, for example when there is a doa (dead on arrival) at home (natural causes) the police have to respond and are off at the scene on average for at least 2 hrs awaiting the medical examiner and notifying next of kin etc so you might have to redo your numbers. Robotjustin from your post you seem to imply that it is alright to pee in public and speed. When I take my 4 year old potty trained son out he even has enough self respect to say daddy i have to go potty and knows to go to a bathroom. You might feel a little bit different if someone was peeing in public as your Mother was walking by. When my son asks me why is that man peeing outside i simply explain that it's because he has no self respect and no class and wasn't raised to respect himself or others. As for speeding I guess when your child is going to school and someone doing 45mph in a 25 mph zone hits your child you might changed your warped views.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackey wrote:
Hey carpetbaggertil718, we are wasting our breath with people like JSleeze and robotjustin. The only hope with posting on this forum and for the people of Jersey City is that some people with a modicum of intelligence do read these posts and will receive some factual and realistic points of view. It is obvious by their jaded sense of intelligence(LOL) that their only response is inflicted with hatred for whatever happened to them. This is obvious in the way they may respond to a post answering them or even better they just ignore what is sent to them regarding their ludicrous comment. So to you JSleeze get it through your thick skull that police oficers when they retired are NOT paid for their accumulated sick days. There are none.

Jackey, you are a thug - that is clear from your hostility - which probably makes you a cop. I've never had direct interaction with the police here, so I bear no "hatred for whatever happened to" me. I know some cops - some good, some not so good. Like everything else in the world.

You are right - you are wasting your breath. Most people don't really need to hear your self-serving mouth-breathed grunts that you seem to think pass for facts.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jackey wrote:
Hey carpetbaggertil718, we are wasting our breath with people like JSleeze and robotjustin. The only hope with posting on this forum and for the people of Jersey City is that some people with a modicum of intelligence do read these posts and will receive some factual and realistic points of view. It is obvious by their jaded sense of intelligence(LOL) that their only response is inflicted with hatred for whatever happened to them. This is obvious in the way they may respond to a post answering them or even better they just ignore what is sent to them regarding their ludicrous comment. So to you JSleeze get it through your thick skull that police oficers when they retired are NOT paid for their accumulated sick days. There are none.

Jackey,

If you make a point that isn't covered in drool or actually makes sense, I'll respond to it.

I really do think we need police people, but if you two are representative of the idiocy on the force, I think it might be time to institute like a literacy test or something.

And DEFINITELY random drug testing.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Carpet-tea-bagger-

They range in scope from loud music and barking dogs to multiple shootings. When they cut the patrol force by roughly a quarter, alot of calls aren't going to get answered. Big deal you say, think about that hot July night and the Salsa party next door is just reaching it's climax at 4 in the morning with four foot high speakers in the backyard. Or when you're upstairs neighbor's kids are skateboarding across the hardwood floor and you have to get up in the morning for work.

^^^

That's the best you can do? Drum up fears of raucous Salsa dancing and skateboarding toddlers?

That's what we need to employ 625 heroes for?

And you're one of the smart ones, right?

Posted on: 2010/11/23 14:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/11/23 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
you are missing the amount of time that can be spent on other things besides doing their job.

"when I was a true cop, i.e. a city police officer, we worked eight hour shifts with no scheduled lunch or other breaks. It was understood that the down time between calls was enough of a break, plus you were allowed to run errands around town while you were at work like going to the bank, post office, cell phone place, etc. For lunch we just ate when we could if we could. If we wanted to go out and eat somewhere we'd usually check 10-10 (out of service, subject to call) on the radio and the dispatchers would send the next closest person instead of us. If you needed to get caught up on reports or take care of uniform issues, etc. you could check 10-6 (busy). Regardless, you got paid for eight hours."

Posted on: 2010/11/23 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday was the 326th day of the year.

257,362 divided by 326 = 789

At the beginning of the year, there were 625 patrol cops. Likely that number has gone down quite a bit due to the rush to cash in banked sick days and vacation.... er, coincidental mass "end of service". So we'll say there are 550 now. Add to that the 80 or so detectives. You are back to 625.

There are three cop shifts a day. Allow for days off, you need about four cops to one full day of copping.

625 divided by 4 is 156.

789 divided by 156 is 5.06.

257,362 is a very large scary number. 5 is a very small, seemingly manageable number when spread out over eight hours. What am I missing?

Posted on: 2010/11/23 11:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 15:28
Group:
Registered Users
As of 2300 hrs. the JCPD has responded to 257,362 calls for service. Not bad for a bunch of overpaid lazy slobs. This is the total number of calls to 911 and does not reflect MV stops, or "flag downs" where officers are approached in the street. They range in scope from loud music and barking dogs to multiple shootings. When they cut the patrol force by roughly a quarter, alot of calls aren't going to get answered. Big deal you say, think about that hot July night and the Salsa party next door is just reaching it's climax at 4 in the morning with four foot high speakers in the backyard. Or when you're upstairs neighbor's kids are skateboarding across the hardwood floor and you have to get up in the morning for work. Simple things like your driveway is blocked. At full manpower calls sometimes sit for hours because there are no units available. You have no idea how many times I've been sent to a call and happened to be right around the corner only to be scolded by the caller that "he's gone already" I called 45 minutes ago. Then we have to explain the whole thing again that we just received the call a minute or two ago and get on the air and have the dispatcher tell us what time we were sent, what time we arrived then hear the inevitable "I pay your salary."
The reason I'm sitting here typing this is to advise you that it is in your best interest to get your elected officials on notice that they should really be looking at laying off cops only as a last resort. There are roughly 120 patrol cops assigned to each district. The braintrust at 280 Grove is essentially eliminating an entire district while keeping their city cars for personal use. Thats really #OOPS#ed up. The latest trendy way to assign blame is to point to the unions and civil service. The evil unions won't give back. We did give back. No more traditional health plan, higher prescription copays, extending summer vacation periods, and a few other incidental things. Now they want completely absurd "concessions" that "might" save layoffs. We are well paid and still receive good benefits and no one really complains. We also do a job that most people won't or can't do. The other bandwagon from Trenton is going after Civil Service. It's a double edged sword. As in every organization, public or private, there are employees that are complete bags of shit and others that really shine. The majority lie somewhere in the middle. Civil Service protects them all so its a good thing and a bad thing. With it people who should be fired can't be and without it the PD and FD would consist of the local politicians best friends and relatives. Pretty much a street gang with no oversight.
I do not live in the city, 30 years was enough for me. Put your personal feelings toward the cop who railroaded you and gave you that ticket aside and think about the big picture. It's your city, your children, your wife or girlfriend walking home from the PATH after work. That old saying theres never a cop around when you need one is going to be theres never a cop around period. Like it or not we are a necessary evil and at 257,362 calls so far this year pretty much everyone in the city needed us at one time or another.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 5:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
The 24 furloughs that have been going on since last December for all City workers (except for police, fire, and the autonomous agencies) equal a 10.5% pay cut for each worker.

Thank you Robin for pointing that out. Also, in addition to the furloughs/paycuts, City management staff haven't had any increases in over 3 years.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
For any JCPD layoff, why not negotiate something between the City and the banks?

If the person layed off has a JC house and JC mortgage, why not pay their mortgage interest for say 1 year to keep them in their homes?

Give them a break?

Posted on: 2010/11/23 3:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very incisive retort robotjustin. Can anyone on this forum discuss the facts and not cry about their speeding ticket or the one time they had an encounter they didn't like with a police officer. responding to these comments can get tiring when idiots are allowed to post.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityKid08 wrote:

I would also like to see a 8% salary cut across every single department. If you do not like it retire or go get another job. .

The 24 furloughs that have been going on since last December for all City workers (except for police, fire, and the autonomous agencies) equal a 10.5% pay cut for each worker.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
^^

Construction workers build useful structures for people to live in and enjoy.

Police officers use guns to extort people for doing things like driving over arbitrary speed limits and peeing in public.

Did I miss anything?

Posted on: 2010/11/22 23:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey JSleeze you got me. Comparing a construction worker or as you say it a poor schmuck who falls into a cement mixer to a police officer tells me your mentality. Sounds to me like someone who posts to this forum is a little mixed up.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackey wrote:
Hey Adonis....the city can reserve the right to make layoffs and the police reserve the right to not give anything back.

You are joking, right? This whole idea that anyone should care about the "rights" of employees in a case where the employer is going broke (because of the overly generous compensation handed to the employee) is sickening. And please - no more talk of "serving". What serving? Are they getting paid - handsomely? Do they have a job to do? What does "serving" have to do with any thing? Lots of jobs come with risk - many more construction workers die in NYC each year than police. No one is heralding the "ultimate sacrifice" or calling the poor schmuck who fell into the cement mixer "NY's bravest or finest".

Posted on: 2010/11/22 19:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Adonis....the city can reserve the right to make layoffs and the police reserve the right to not give anything back. Sometimes it's a give and take and sometimes it's not, however the city cannot dictate terms without some dialogue. It's a proven fact since it has happened in the past......The police have also helped out in past years in giving something up for something else and then down the road that something else was taken away without them getting back what they gave up for it. These politiciaNS ARE NOT TRUSTWORTHY.....so yes I'm sure if it comes down to it they will want a promise of no layoffs if they decide to help out. Yes, they will kep their jobs and you and the citizens will keep a sizable police force for a city that needs it.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 19:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I propose that JerseyCityKid08 take a 15% pay cut or better yet, why not just eliminate his/her job. People make budget cutting sound so simple but their tone changes when it's their job/income//family's well-being.

I have taken a pay cut over the last few years. For the better of my business. Maybe city employees should think about not taking a raise for a few years. So they can save jobs and not cut services. Plenty of people want those jobs. If the top pay for a JCPD officer was 80,000 a year. You would still see the same amount of applications flowing into city hall.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I propose that JerseyCityKid08 take a 15% pay cut or better yet, why not just eliminate his/her job. People make budget cutting sound so simple but their tone changes when it's their job/income//family's well-being.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 18:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:

- Eliminate the Parking Authority, just as they should eliminate the Incinerator Authority. Patronage pits that serve no purpose other than to award friends, family and campaign workers.

- The payroll of the police department was almost $97 million last year. If the union doesn't want layoffs, they should be willing to take an across the board 8% salary cut. If they don't like it - move back to Jersey City and vote.

- You can't lay off top brass. But you can reassign them. Make them earn their keep and suddenly, by reactivating the dead wood you won't miss the laid off nearly as much.

Agree the Parking Authority should be eliminated. I would also like to see a 8% salary cut across every single department. If you do not like it retire or go get another job. I fully support police officers and firefighters. I would just hate to see this city with fewer police officers and fewer firefighters due to the unions sucking us dry.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

carpetbaggertil718 wrote:
The sick thing about this is that Healy can cut alot of political hacks and do away with alot of useless deputy's and save these cops but thats not even on the radar. Next time you see a patrol cop ask him what exactly does the directors office do. I'm serious. I've been around a long time and have no clue at all. No one does. Once a month his office puts out a bullshit newsletter usually containing information about the JCPD from the 1930's that means nothing. Know why the vast majority of cops move out? Because we see what really goes on not just what the Jersey Journal reports. They lay these cops off and the city will get more dangerous. Most of the people who live downtown weren't here in the early 90"s when open air drug markets and rampant street violence were the norm. Think Queen Viola is gonna sit back and let her precious hood go back to that? No she's gonna demand and get more cops to keep the worst areas of the city from blowing up. Guess where their gonna pull them cops from? Thats right the East. Alot of people on this board think that every cop is good for nothing and we should make thirty thousand a year. When that district is running on skeleton crews and the animals from the hill realize its easy pickings where the people with the good stuff live you will want the cops back. Demand that city hall looks for cuts everywhere else before cutting cops or you will see what the good old days were like. This job is about to get real exciting again. Good for me bad for you.

^^^^^
What a drama queen.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/24 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

coolfrood wrote:
My friend got robbed yesterday and the perpetrators were caught within 10 minutes. The officers reminded us more than once that this wouldn't perhaps have happened if there were a hundred fewer cops on the street.

Did these officers happen to mention anything about them and their union possibly accepting slightly lower overall compensation in order to save the jobs of their union bretheren?

No, they didn't. Still, they have at least some of my sympathies given my experience yesterday, and the fact that JC *does* need a good police force, unlike a lot of other rich, low-crime towns in NJ (I'm looking at you, Princeton).

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackey wrote:
Even if they were to give back some of the MINIMAL raise they received, the city will not promise no layoffs.

Why should the city promise no layoffs? Why would any employer PROMISE no layoffs? That doesn't make sense. As a citizen of this city I want the city to reserve the right to layoff anyone at anytime. That's a fundamental rule that helps motiviate employees to do their best. Without it employees are encouraged to not do their jobs.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Even if they were to give back some of the MINIMAL raise they received, the city will not promise no layoffs. Oh, and by the way a majority of the last class hired which will be laid off are VETERANS who have served the country in Iraq and Afghanistan. They come back, take a job with the PD to serve the city, start their non-military lives, get married, have kids and a fine how do you do. We're letting you go. I am sure that if the city tried hard enough many savings could be found elsewhere.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
I checked out the civil service web site. You can't layoff from the top. You have to start with the bottom, so laying off the highest apid guys isn't going to happen. What they should do is down size dept. that do similar work. How about the parking authority, why do we need so many, what do they really do. A cop can write a parking ticket. Every time I needed a car moved from my driveway they would send the parking authority, and when it needed to be towed they would call the police. So why are they around again.

- Eliminate the Parking Authority, just as they should eliminate the Incinerator Authority. Patronage pits that serve no purpose other than to award friends, family and campaign workers.

- The payroll of the police department was almost $97 million last year. If the union doesn't want layoffs, they should be willing to take an across the board 8% salary cut. If they don't like it - move back to Jersey City and vote.

- You can't lay off top brass. But you can reassign them. Make them earn their keep and suddenly, by reactivating the dead wood you won't miss the laid off nearly as much.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I think people would be more outraged by the police cutbacks if the police didn't act like such dicks all the time.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 16:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/30 15:01
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Did these officers happen to mention anything about them and their union possibly accepting slightly lower overall compensation in order to save the jobs of their union bretheren?

I'm curious to see how that goes over in Newark.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coolfrood wrote:
My friend got robbed yesterday and the perpetrators were caught within 10 minutes. The officers reminded us more than once that this wouldn't perhaps have happened if there were a hundred fewer cops on the street.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 15:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/24 20:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/11/22 15:07

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017