Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: "Here in New York"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
When you are traveling and you meet people do you tell them you are from NY or NJ? I say NJ but even though we are closer to the city than most parts of Brooklyn we might as well be a thousand miles away in most peoples eyes.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 3:03

"Here in New York"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
"Live to Dance" aired tonight. It showed auditions in a big tent in Liberty State Park. They called them the New York auditions and repeatedly referred to their location as New York.

How do you feel about this? Happy to be recognized as the "Sixth Borough" or angry about being swallowed up by New York City in the eyes of the country?

Posted on: 2011/1/5 2:58
I live by the river.

Paula Abdul's taping of Live to Dance Show in Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/19 1:51
Group:
Registered Users
My sister, niece and I came from Philly to see the live taping of Paula Abdul's taping of Live to Dance. We arrived at 9:00am and once we parked, we were told to wait a few minutes and the coordinator for the "Audience" would be right with us. We stood in the cold waiting for hours. We were finally told to go back to our car and wait for at least another hour and the shuttle would pick us up. We decided after an hour to walk all the way back to the main area just to find out that there was never going to be a shuttle bus picking us up. We were told throughtout the day that we were going to be fed sandwiches and snacks so we stayed because we really were looking forward to seeing the show. After standing in different lines for hours, we finally got in and watched the show around 2:30pm. While we were sitting, one of the staff assured us that we were going to be fed. The staff that was working were bringing in sandwiches and shrimp and eating in front of us. People from the audience started leaving in the middle of the show because they were starving and frustrated. The show was enjoyable but once the show was over and we were permitted to leave, there was no food. So, we had no food or drink and nowhere to get food or drink from 9:00am until we left after 5:00pm.

Although we enjoyed the show, it was so NOT WORTH IT. The staff lied to us the entire day. Without an audience, there would be no show. It was disgraceful. I wanted to post this so if anyone decides to go see a taping to please think about it before going or at least bring food and drinks.

Posted on: 2010/10/19 2:10

Re: Paula Abdul is taping a dance show in Liberty State Park this weekend
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Do you think LT gives a crap about any of that? Come on.

To each his own but to say there is "no such thing as good dancing" is simply ridiculous. Sure, there are far more bad dancers out there than good dancers but I bet you all those bad dancers at wedding receptions sure had a helluva good time.

Seriously, to not appreciate a skillfully done Argentine Tango or the insane stength and ability of a fine ballet dancer (male or female) is simply nuts to me.

Crazy_Chester wrote:

Boys should never dance. For example, competing on "Dancing With The Stars" did more damage to Lawrence Taylor's reputation than did drugs and prostitution.

There is no such thing as good dancing. Just lesser levels of silliness. If you think I'm wrong, just watch another wedding video with people dancing. Especially the white folks.

Posted on: 2010/10/19 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Guys seem to be good dancers everywhere I've been except in the US and Canada.

Posted on: 2010/10/18 15:57

Paula Abdul is taping a dance show in Liberty State Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Paula Abdul moves on from 'Idol' to judge a new talent on 'Live to Dance'

BY GINA SALAMONE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, October 15th 2010, 4:00 AM

Resized Image
Paula Abdul was on hand at the Jacob Javits Convention Center on Thursday to judge auditions for CBS's new show 'Live to Dance.'

A year after parting ways with "American Idol," Paula Abdul is aiming to prove singing isn't the only talent she can judge.

Her new role is to be lead expert on the upcoming CBS reality competition "Live to Dance," and the show brought her to the Jacob Javits Convention Center Thursday for the first round of auditions.

Star-struck hopefuls stopped stretching and warming up to shriek Abdul's name, and some even got to chat with their idol.

"I was driving up and I was seeing how many people were wrapped around the blocks," Abdul says. "It brought a smile to my face in the sense that it brings me back to when I was a young kid. I was one of those kids that would wait in line for hours and hours just to get a chance to do what I love.

"Whether I made the audition or not, it just was the love of putting yourself out there and doing what you love," adds the 48-year-old singer and dancer. "In most cases, I didn't [make the cut.] I was rejected time and time again."

Turning hopefuls away is something Abdul had to do on "Idol," where she served as a judge from the show's start in 2002 until the end of Season 8. She didn't return last season after talks to renew her contract went downhill.

Abdul takes on the task again for "Live to Dance," but says the format isn't as strict. Unlike other competitions, there are no age limits, and all styles are welcome, as well as both groups and solo performers. With contestants as young as 4 as Thursday's audition, the harsh Simon Cowell-style of judging doesn't hold up.

"We're not there to just judge and criticize," Abdul says. "We're there to lend our expertise and also inspire them to keep pushing and stretching the boundaries of where their comfort zone is.

"It's not a show that we make them do a dance form that they're not comfortable with," she adds. "We're celebrating their own unique niche. And then we're expanding it from there."

Like with "Idol," personality can sometimes trump perfection.

"I can watch a technically trained dancer who can execute the most perfect pirouettes and grand jet?s," Abdul says. "And I can watch a dancer who aspires to do that and they may not be perfect, but their heart just oozes out of them. They know how to fill those empty spaces with the right angle of their head, or the right added touch that makes you go, 'That's so much more interesting to me.'"

The show's premiere is set for some time early next year. Joining Abdul on the expert panel are Kimberly Wyatt, a former member of the Pussycat Dolls, and Travis Payne, a choreographer for Michael Jackson's "This Is It."

Those who made it through will face Abdul and the other experts this weekend in New Jersey's Liberty State Park.

Although Abdul is looking forward to her new show, she says a year out of the spotlight can work wonders.

"Taking a little bit of time off, I recommend it to people who get caught up working, working, working," she says. "You have to have some negative space to have proper perspective in your life."

gsalamone@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainm ... tertainment#ixzz12ioUsDXO

Posted on: 2010/10/18 14:48

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/10/19 5:05:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Boys should never dance. For example, competing on "Dancing With The Stars" did more damage to Lawrence Taylor's reputation than did drugs and prostitution.

There is no such thing as good dancing. Just lesser levels of silliness. If you think I'm wrong, just watch another wedding video with people dancing. Especially the white folks.

Posted on: 2010/10/18 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
I walked by and it looked pretty neat.

Haters probably can't dance is all.

Posted on: 2010/10/18 3:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/5 14:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
Sure people watch them in great numbers but the fact is that dance class/academy enrolement is up nation wide because of these types of shows. I would also say the the stigma for boys dancing has been lessoned because of these shows.

Boiled_Mussels wrote:

I'm pretty sure they aren't out there dancing. They're in front of the TV cheering morons "dancing" or to be America's next big idiot.

81905 wrote:
Say what you will crushthedemoniac but if these dance shows are getting more kids exercising and out from in front of the X-Box then I am all for them.

crushthedemoniac wrote:
DUMB, more idiot t.v. maybe worse than wrestling.

Yep, same way culinary school enrollment is up from shows like Top Chef and the food network. Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean shows like this aren't influencing the rest of the population that's watching them. Also a good point being made about lessening the stigma of boy's dancing. I don't watch any of the dancing/singing competition shows but I'm not going to be ignorant enough to assume no one else is taking an active interest as a result of them being so popular.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sure people watch them in great numbers but the fact is that dance class/academy enrolement is up nation wide because of these types of shows. I would also say the the stigma for boys dancing has been lessoned because of these shows.

Boiled_Mussels wrote:

I'm pretty sure they aren't out there dancing. They're in front of the TV cheering morons "dancing" or to be America's next big idiot.

81905 wrote:
Say what you will crushthedemoniac but if these dance shows are getting more kids exercising and out from in front of the X-Box then I am all for them.

crushthedemoniac wrote:

Posted on: 2010/10/17 17:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Quote:

81905 wrote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
[/quote]

Posted on: 2010/10/17 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

crushthedemoniac wrote:
DUMB, more idiot t.v. maybe worse than wrestling.[/quote]

Posted on: 2010/10/17 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Not my thing either (nor is the WWE) - but cool to see a variety of things going on around town. Nice to have variety, even if not everything is what I would choose.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Is that what the tents/domes were for? We wondered what those were for.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/10/16 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
B. F. D.

Posted on: 2010/10/16 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the warning.

Posted on: 2010/10/16 3:04

Paula Abdul "Live To Dance" filmed in Liberty State Park
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Paula Abdul is back on T.V. and hosting CBS's new show,
"Live to Dance"?AND ALL TICKETS ARE FREE!

Be Part of a LIVE Studio Audience!

CBS?s "Live to Dance" is THE new dance competition based on the hit British series "Got to Dance." The show is traveling the country to find the best dancers for the upcoming season and the first stop is Jersey City. This is the first taping EVER and you can join Paula in the live television audience as the East Coast?s best dancers compete live! The show is three days only, October 15th, 16th, and 17th at Liberty State Park in Jersey City and the minimum age to attend is 14. Don?t miss this rare opportunity to be part of Paula?s new television phenomenon as it tapes for the first time ever.

http://www.on-camera-audiences.com/shows/show/314/event/7962

http://www.paulaabduldanceshow.com

Posted on: 2010/10/16 2:50

Edited by Webmaster on 2011/1/5 3:26:37

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact