Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: What is wrong with the people driving in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Did you get the car number of the cop car? 'Cause if you did you could have gone to the J.C. Violations room and swear yourself in and signed a traffic ticket against the plate number of the car that went through the stop sign.

Can you really do that? What if I had video evidence from my nifty dashboard HD Douche-Cam (tm)? Who gets a ticket and what kind? I don't believe even a traffic cam can issue a moving violation in NJ, just a no-points fine.

That would make a great reality TV show, wouldn't it?
Drive around recording infractions and a swearing out complaints against police and others.
Follow through to traffic court.
Probably sell ads to the insurance companies.
Hmmm.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 11:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Did you get the car number of the cop car? 'Cause if you did you could have gone to the J.C. Violations room and swear yourself in and signed a traffic ticket against the plate number of the car that went through the stop sign.

Can you really do that? What if I had video evidence from my nifty dashboard HD Douche-Cam (tm)? Who gets a ticket and what kind? I don't believe even a traffic cam can issue a moving violation in NJ, just a no-points fine.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/10/14 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

landshark wrote:
I know someone who got pulled over downtown last week for failing to stop the proper distance from the corner at a stop sign. The person did stop the proper amount of time but apparently was supposed to stop 5 feet from the corner and not at the corner. Really? THe JCPD had to waste their time with this when there are so many other people to pull over.

You know that line before the crosswalk? The one where you're supposed to stop? Yeah. That one. Stop there.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
I think the truth is a lot simpler than deciding which state's residents are the worst drivers. There are just greater numbers of horrible drivers everywhere. I chalk it up to the increasing stupidification of America and the rampant unwarranted sense of entitlement displayed by the majority of people these days. Courtesy and common sense seems to have deserted many many people.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcgurl wrote:
Personal pet peeve... lack of turn signal or (almost worse) sitting in a lane and putting on your turn signal as you turn. The purpose is to put it on in advance to let drivers and pedestrians know you are going to turn. Argh!

As an aside, a few years back my brother in law said that I had become a Jersey Driver when he noticed I drive with one hand on the horn instead of one foot on the break (this was, of course, while driving down Jersey Ave.).

i think you are my driving soulmate! turn signals are your friend and you have to drive down jersey with one hand on the horn.. people will just slam into you otherwise.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 17:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I know someone who got pulled over downtown last week for failing to stop the proper distance from the corner at a stop sign. The person did stop the proper amount of time but apparently was supposed to stop 5 feet from the corner and not at the corner. Really? THe JCPD had to waste their time with this when there are so many other people to pull over.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Personal pet peeve... lack of turn signal or (almost worse) sitting in a lane and putting on your turn signal as you turn. The purpose is to put it on in advance to let drivers and pedestrians know you are going to turn. Argh!

As an aside, a few years back my brother in law said that I had become a Jersey Driver when he noticed I drive with one hand on the horn instead of one foot on the break (this was, of course, while driving down Jersey Ave.).

Posted on: 2010/10/13 17:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
People know that they can drive like knuckleheads here because there is virtually no traffic enforcement.

Just this morning at the infamous intersection of 8th & Erie ---- I see a marked JCPD cruiser on Erie approach the four-way stop just as a Honda/Toyota type vehicle on 8th also approaches the intersection ----- doesn't even make an attempt to stop but rather just rolls right through at about 10 MPH in plain sight of the JCPD.

You'd think that writing a ticket wouldn't be any easier, right? Throw on the overhead lights, stop the guy further down on 8th, and start writing, yes?

Evidently not. The JCPD couldn't have given two sh*ts and continued straight on their merry way. Truly mindblowing.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I saw an example of a d-bag driver pushing the wrong person the other night at Pavonia and Coles St. A pony-tailed douche in a sports coupe must have been tail-gating and then passed a guy on Coles St under the TPK. When they got to the Stop-sign at Pavonia the "victim" sped around the douche and cut him off and then got out to confront him. The "victim" guy was a 40ish hispanic who obviously spent many hours in the gym. He was berating the douche who was now furiously trying to back up and escape a beating. "Why are you driving like a maniac"?!! "You are gonna kill somebody"! "Get out of the car"!! The douche had no intention of facing the music and finally escaped east on Jersey Ave after a few kicks to his front quarter panel. Faux tough guy met a real tough guy and hopefully learned his lesson.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
A former mayor of Naples, Italy once said regarding traffic lights, "Green means go. Avant! Avant! Red is only a suggestion and yellow is for gaiety."

Posted on: 2010/10/13 0:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/13 0:18
Group:
Registered Users
jesus, i thought the drivers in boston were bad, until i moved to manhattan. then i came to jersey city. ive been nearly hit on numerous occassions by simply walking through a crosswalk.

i see bus drivers and even the cops just blatantly ignore driving laws.

i dont understand this city. i really dont. what draws such lack of respect for human life? i driven all over this country and this is the worst. its unbelievable.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 0:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/12 23:38
Group:
Registered Users
It's not much of a problem driving around here if you have the courtesy to follow basic rules of the road.

If the light turns red, go through the intersection if you are within 100 feet of it, otherwise the guy behind you will rear end you (and the 5 cars behind him do the same).

Don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, see previous rule.

If you insist on putting on your turn signal when changing lanes, remember it means, "I dare you to stop me!"

If you are going 20 mph over the speed limit, stay out of the left lane. You are slowing down traffic.

Headlights are optional. Even at night.

Don't leave a car length between your car and the car in front of you when driving, especially on the turnpike. If you do, someone may try to squeeze in and cause an accident.

Always brake and rubber neck at accidents, flats, etc. It's a sign of respect.

As soon as the light turns green, honk your horn because the person in front of you isn't paying attention and is probably on their phone or texting.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Not to justify speeding or honking/giving the finger but it sounds like maybe you were riding in the left lane, which is supposed to be used for passing only.

Agreed, but on some of those depression era parkways, the acceleration lanes are so short that if you cruise in the right lane you're constantly having just entered cars in front of you going 40 mph, so you either have to jam on the brakes or change lanes in a hurry.

Re JC drivers, my main pet peeve is that only maybe 1 in 5 knows the rules of right of way for multiway stop signs. How many times you've seen people either never take their turn, or blow through the stop following right on the butt of the car ahead of them that did have right of way.

Second on the list is the use of turn lanes to jump ahead of all the traffic obeying the law. Monmouth & Columbus is the worst for this because you have to move from the left lane to the right as you cross Columbus to get out of the next turn lane, creating near collisions with the scofflaws going straight from the right lane.

On my list of inventions to build is a dash camera that runs continuously to a buffer, and when you push a button saves the previous 10 seconds to the memory card. I'll bet I could record at least 2 dozen acts of scofflawry, recklessness and stupidity by drivers and pedestrians every time I drive to Lincoln park to pick up the kids.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 17:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/13 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

rbnyfan wrote:
agreed that jersey drivers are actually decent. now that i'm living in CT, i would gladly trade the idiots that drive around here for NJ drivers.

I have to agree. CT drivers are nuts, especially on the Merritt. The freaking road is two lanes and twists and turns and if you aren't driving 85, people tailgate you and flash their lights. I had the temerity of only driving 80 one night and had some A-hole rode on my ass and beeped his horn and flipped me off when I got out of his way. Just anothe reason why I hate CT.

Not to justify speeding or honking/giving the finger but it sounds like maybe you were riding in the left lane, which is supposed to be used for passing only.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 16:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Try Salt Lake City...if you as a pedestrian even make a MOTION towards the sidewalk in the middle of a block the traffic will come to a halt to allow you to cross if you choose.

Two faults of Jersey City drivers that are clearly spelled out in the drivers manual:
1. They do NOT know that a pedestrian has the right of way in a crosswalk ALWAYS as in ALWAYS, no matter the color of the light, the WALK/DON'T WALK sign, or the alignment of the planets...ALWAYS!
2. You must stop at a red light before making a right turn and you CANNOT do it if there is a pedestrian in the intersection.
These dickheads cannot reason that these laws are logical because a 200 pound man is no match for a 4000 pound car...not a fair fight.

I was crossing Washington Blvd in a crosswalk towards a cop on the opposite corner and a car flew in front of me at 30 mph making a right on red without even slowing down...the cop didn't bat an eye although the car went 90 degrees around him while he was looking at it, almost dusting me off.

WRONG...read the law:

http://www.state.nj.us/oag/hts/pedestrian.html

A. The driver of a vehicle must stop and stay stopped for a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk, but shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except at crosswalks when the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals, or where otherwise prohibited by municipal, county, or State regulation, and except where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided, but no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

So if you are crossing against the light you do not have the right of way, it is called jaywalking and is expressly against the law.

PEDESTRIANS MUST obey pedestrian signals and use crosswalks at signalized intersections. Both carry a $54.00 fine for failure to observe the law.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 12:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/27 3:17
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed - and when did Erie st. become the drag racing capital of JC? Why do people need to rev their motorcycles at 1AM? Just to show us all how cool you are for having a glass-pack muffler?

Maybe once Fulop is elected in 2013 we can get a stop sign somewhere on Erie...

Posted on: 2010/10/12 3:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
My answer to that question is A LOT of things!

I HATE HATE when people speed down Manila Ave.

Just to piss fast driving people off, I purposely cross the street with my dog REALLY SLOW and then they give me the finger, or curse at me.....and I just smile and wave.

But, for real.....this should definitely be an issue the cops address because there are kids everywhere (little league)

Posted on: 2010/10/10 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Of course, in any state there are many who know how to drive and others who are a menace. I posted one websit and here's another, by GMAC.
Yes, your New York come off as the worst but NJ is right there in second awful place:
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/05 ... vers-in-america-by-state/

So yes, I am sure there are good drivers in New Jersey (I was one before my parked car was destroyed by a drunk NJ cop) but I had LEARNED in Pennsylvania, but the internet has some honest evaluations of the average MISERABLE NJ driver, and miserable they are...on average.

There might be a reason behind the fact that NJ insurance rates are a JILLION dollars a year.

I learned the best way to drive in Jersey City was NOT to drive.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Do you think the term is "Jersey Left," for a reason or just a random connection of two words. Just another sign of rude, impatient, me-first behavior. But they are very energy conscious because it is a rare NJ driver who wastes wattage on a turn signal.
Even the roads are designed by morons like those stupid dangerous traffic circles.

Those who think Jersey drivers are good drivers have never left the state and certainly never driven in inclement weather.

And oh my, the new immigrants, especially the women... They could fill HOURS on TOSH.O.

This site sums up the New Jersey Driver pretty well...see if you recognize yourself:

http://www.youmightbe.com/pages/new_jersey_driver.html

NJ drivers are are the rudest, most inconsiderate, and least capable drivers in the country...but I've never been to Alabama, Mississippi, and Alaska.

Xerxes, are you talking about JC drivers being the worst drivers in the country, or drivers from the state of NJ being the worst? I respect your opinion, but I don't know how you can say NJ drivers are worse than NY drivers. (and I'm a native NYer).

I think NJ drivers are very GOOD drivers compared with drivers from other states. NJ drivers seem to know the rules of the road better than in other states. The left lane as the passing lane is a good example....your fellow Pennsylvania driver are the #1 culprit for not adhering to that.

Like I said, everybody thinks that drivers from "other states" are the worst. Everybody has an opinion. And since we have each only encountered *some* drivers from a given state, we are in no position to judge an entire state's MILLIONS of drivers by the select experiences we have had.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Try Salt Lake City...if you as a pedestrian even make a MOTION towards the sidewalk in the middle of a block the traffic will come to a halt to allow you to cross if you choose.

Two faults of Jersey City drivers that are clearly spelled out in the drivers manual:
1. They do NOT know that a pedestrian has the right of way in a crosswalk ALWAYS as in ALWAYS, no matter the color of the light, the WALK/DON'T WALK sign, or the alignment of the planets...ALWAYS!
2. You must stop at a red light before making a right turn and you CANNOT do it if there is a pedestrian in the intersection.
These dickheads cannot reason that these laws are logical because a 200 pound man is no match for a 4000 pound car...not a fair fight.

I was crossing Washington Blvd in a crosswalk towards a cop on the opposite corner and a car flew in front of me at 30 mph making a right on red without even slowing down...the cop didn't bat an eye although the car went 90 degrees around him while he was looking at it, almost dusting me off.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I think that the more difficult it is to drive in an area, the worse the drivers. They become bad because they're so stressed out. Just driving through Hoboken yesterday, between the road closings, the parked SUVs blocking my line of vision as I tried to pass through intersections hoping a car wasn't coming, the pedestrians not looking before crossing when I had the green light, I think I actually became a worse driver than I was before. I'm a NJ native but have lived in PA and Maine. PA drivers are horrible, at least near Philadelphia. The difference between the style of driving there and my native NJ was noticeable. People will make a left on red if they can get away with it. In Maine, the drivers are lovely. They don't even beep the horn if you don't go right away when the light turns green. But again, it's much easier to drive in Maine. Less traffic, less construction. I've heard several people say Mass drivers are terrible. But the worst has to be NYC.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/i ... insureyourcar/p151501.asp

Just drove through Mass., R.I., Conn., and NY last week. Rhode Island drivers are horrible. That state is full of a weird hybrid of white trash, gangsta wannabe/rednecks.
The cars are junkers and they drive them like crap. Awful place. New Jersey has a lot of that element too.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
people in Jersey City are pretty horrible drivers but they are no where as bad as Massachusetts drivers. When i lived in Boston and Worcester I was astounded by the bad driving.

I think that NY cabbies go to boston to train to drive.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to believe that however if you've ever driven by Dickenson H.S. at about 3pm you will see every student crossing Palisade Avenue in between the traffic in both directions. You will also see about 5 JCPD officers standing there having a pow wow paying absolutely no attention to the kids jay walking and almost getting hit by cars. There are "No Parking" signs the entire length of the street but at 3pm it is jammed with cars and shuttle buses. Kids darting out in between them and they actually step right in front of you without looking. I've never seen an officer even stop them, so if they are going to enforce anything they actually have to look around them to see what is going on.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
T-bird,

Not to denigrate your skills at artful word creation but somebody beat you to the punch..."Jersey Left" actually exists:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=New%20Jersey%20Left

Hmmm... doesn't give the origin though. I'd like to think that my seventeen years of rambling on about it may have been the root.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rbnyfan wrote:
agreed that jersey drivers are actually decent. now that i'm living in CT, i would gladly trade the idiots that drive around here for NJ drivers.

I have to agree. CT drivers are nuts, especially on the Merritt. The freaking road is two lanes and twists and turns and if you aren't driving 85, people tailgate you and flash their lights. I had the temerity of only driving 80 one night and had some A-hole rode on my ass and beeped his horn and flipped me off when I got out of his way. Just anothe reason why I hate CT.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
JC maybe, but as a whole NJ drivers are fine. The Turnpike is a great safe road to drive on.

Massachusetts drivers are terrible - with the pulling out in front and tailgating. Washington DC is a poorly dressed testosterone fest. LA traffic jams are caused by threats of rain and curves in the highway. The entire 95 corridor from below the Delaware Memorial Bridge through to Atlanta is a never ending stream of entitlement and stupidity.

Jersey City is bad because native Jersey City people are inbred.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
T-bird,

Not to denigrate your skills at artful word creation but somebody beat you to the punch..."Jersey Left" actually exists:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=New%20Jersey%20Left

Posted on: 2010/10/9 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Funny you should bring this up on "Put the Brakes on Fatalities Day"...

Jersey City launches 'Put the Brakes on Fatalities Day'
Published: Friday, October 08, 2010, 11:23 AM
Mark Maurer/The Jersey Journal Mark Maurer/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City is launching a traffic safety program, ?Put the Brakes on Fatalities Day? on Monday, according to a news release.

The Jersey City Police Department is working with the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety to organize campaigns for pedestrian safety, aggressive driving, seat belts and DWI enforcement. Activities regarding those issues will be conducted citywide at various locations and different times throughout the day, the release said.

The proactive patrols will be assigned to high-risk areas to look out for pedestrian and aggressive driving violations. The police department aims to educate motorists and pedestrians on the potential hazards and penalties associated with violating traffic laws, the release said.

Police officers will be targeting pedestrian safety enforcement on a citywide basis ensuring pedestrians do not jaywalk and motorists yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 3:07

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017