Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: LITTERBUGS!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Did you get a look at the cop was it a man or a woman, also could you remember the squad car number ? I would have followed him...or her like a nozy reporter.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The other day I was driving up 4th Street behind a JCPD cruiser. The cop stopped at the the corner of Monmouth, opened the driver's side door, and tossed an empty Dunkin Donuts cup into the street. The officer then shut the door and drove off.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to get the plate number or I would have reported it to the PD--though I can picture them laughing at me while swearing to "look into it."

With the cops leading by this example, what hope to we have to encourage ordinary citizens to stop littering?

Posted on: 2010/10/29 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I think I could have papered my bathroom with Sen Hai menus by now.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scribblejam wrote:
Last i saw, there were 3 toilets on the actual road itself (near Varick) with weeds growing in them. Totally Awesome!!!

Haha.... I am pretty sure those toilets are part of an art installation in front the studio on Coles and Columbus.

Unless you were making a joke and I missed it--in that case, never mind.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 20:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
Well i walk down christopher columbus almost everyday and it seems like it is actually accumulating more trash, if that is possible. Last i saw, there were 3 toilets on the actual road itself (near Varick) with weeds growing in them. Totally Awesome!!!

I think my biggest littering beef is with the freakin flyers, menus and other paper trash that is left outside every building. The wind blows and before you know it, the whole block is covered in these damn flyers.

That all said, who is the older lady who I see patiently picking litter up off the street? I see near city hall and also near shop rite. Kudos to her for being so persistent.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Newport/Avalon Cove/ Crystal Point/Harborside are all spotless and litter free.

So the conclusion to be drawn is an area will be filthy and littler-strewn if homeowners and landlords don't care to keep it clean; but it can be clean and neat if they do care.

Jersey City, for all it's newly found pomposity still has its share of slumlords who care only about one thing...rent.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 12:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/3 4:20
Group:
Registered Users
Thank for the info. Good to know. I don't even k ow where to begin:)

Posted on: 2010/9/28 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Josiered wrote:
If you have trouble with weeds anywhere file an online complaint at: cityofjerseycity.com

Click on "for residents" scroll down and go to the online help center. I know I've notified them of weeds on my block growing through the fence and the owner got a ticket for $125.00. Give them your email address and they actually do email you to tell you the status of the complaint. They will also tell you what inspector went and when. Entire process takes about a week but it was extremely helpful.

And if the owner does not cut the weeds after getting the ticket or even a warning then the J.C.I.A. will cut it and bill the owner through the tax bill.

Great info - thanks to all. My tour-of-Lafayette-complaint-rampage begins tomorrow.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Josiered wrote:
If you have trouble with weeds anywhere file an online complaint at: cityofjerseycity.com

Click on "for residents" scroll down and go to the online help center. I know I've notified them of weeds on my block growing through the fence and the owner got a ticket for $125.00. Give them your email address and they actually do email you to tell you the status of the complaint. They will also tell you what inspector went and when. Entire process takes about a week but it was extremely helpful.

And if the owner does not cut the weeds after getting the ticket or even a warning then the J.C.I.A. will cut it and bill the owner through the tax bill.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/9/27 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Call the Jersey City NID (201) 547-5683, the code enforcement officer will come around, take a picture of the infraction and send a $100 ticket through the mail to the property owner.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Lafayette, and everything in the original post rings true: weeds at eye level that completely choke out the crumbling sidewalk, chip bags blowing like tumbleweed down the street, mounds of dog waste, etc. It looks like a Road Warrior movie at times.

Earlier, I lived downtown and around Hamilton Park, and of course one doesn't see that there. Part of it, no doubt, is the residents' greater commitment to their neighborhood; but part of it is the city's willingness to maintain some neighborhoods more carefully, while letting things slide in others to the point that they fall apart.

I chose to live in Lafayette, and overall I'm happy here. A little trash is part of urban life, and JC is no exception. Downtown JC could be cleaner, but there are parts beyond it that, for whatever reason(s), don't seem to make the cut when it comes to a minimal degree of cleaning, enforcement and maintenance.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
People treat their front gate-yards as dumpsters. Whether you're from the suburbs or not, this should not be considered acceptable behavior.

The law is that trash is supposed to be in a container and covered with a lid.

The JCIA doesn't enforce this if it is within the property, but the city does (is supposed to).

Here's what my neighbor's yard regularly looks like:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/9/27 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Another problem is with renters (and landlords) who just don't give a damn. Legally, it is the landlord's responsibility to maintain the area around their building, but many of them just don't bother with regular cleanup or maintenance.

I know of a number of buildings on my block that have filthy sidewalks and gated front "yards" that choked with piles of rotting leaves and debris. Often the building is a rental and the tenants living there just don't care enough to clean up if the landlords don't take care of it for them.

Personally, even though I only rent my brownstone, I try and sweep up our stoop and sidewalk at least once a week. I see some of my elderly neighbors outside with the broom daily, while other neighbors have stoops that look like they haven't been touched in years.

Some people care about keeping their neighborhood looking nice; others don't. Not much you can do about it other than clean up after the lazy folks. But sometimes I feel like that just encourages them more...

Posted on: 2010/9/27 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
You have to take into account that if you live within walking distance of any of the schools - Ferris/Dickenson/McNair you have kids all day long eating and throwing trash in the street. Would be nice to have trash bins on a couple of the corners and maybe the kids would actually use them. Although I've seen some grown men walking down the street eating KFC and when they are done they throw the entire box by the sewer drain! So disgusting really.....

Posted on: 2010/9/27 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
It's the bitching by former suburbanites that really gets me. To each their own.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 4:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/4 1:43
Group:
Banned
Huh. Never noticed. I'll definitely keep an eye out though. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted on: 2010/9/27 3:18

LITTERBUGS!!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/3 4:20
Group:
Registered Users
I just moved here a couple of months ago and I have to say the Jersey City is one dirty place. There's no pride of ownership here. People let litter sit in front of their homes for days. I know it must be a pain in the a** to clean up after people that throw trash in front of your home, but it's still your home. Does the Jersey City Incinerator Authority enforce any kind of sanitary codes? There are weeds growing from sidewalks that are starting to look like trees. I hate having to walk down the street through what is starting to look like the beginnings of a forest. It unsightly and makes even the nicest looking blocks seem trashy. Sad....

Posted on: 2010/9/27 3:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017