Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: $100 million from Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to Newark public schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
As someone who gives the equivalent of a tithe to charity each year, I'm hesitant to criticize charitable donations. Still, the timing (as an unfavorable portrayal of Zuckerberg in a major movie comes out) and lack of detail about how this money is to be spent and what the expected results are provokes skepticism. I hope that it isn't just an amateurish attempt at PR/damage control but that's what it looks like.

A great trend in charity is people like the Gates foundation who apply the same kind of return on investment thinking to where the money goes that built their businesses rather than just toss it out in the interest of looking good. I'm not seeing that here and that's not my being jaded.

Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
Very sad to see such jaded comments.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Very sad to see such jaded comments.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Any time a district can reduce class size by hiring more teachers, the kids benefit. That being said, we don't know what conditions accompany this money.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Let's see if I have this straight:

1. Newark schools were under state control because previously there were too many dropouts and the schools produced stupid children.

2. THe state elected an ultra-conservative governor who believes in private/corporate control of schools.

3. A VERY rich young man gives the governor/mayor/Newark schools a HUGE sum of money.

4. THis somehow changes the situation of Newark graduating few and stupid children.

5. Newark is given control of the schools again as a result of being given the money with the semi-proviso that it goes to establishing charter schools (quasi-private) that show themselves to be no better than public schools.

So yes, I agree with NolieOlie that this is a total waste of money and with Mike that some politicians and administrators will get VERY rich, VERY quickly. I disagree with NO about cancer research becasue I doubt that any charity in history has wasted more money and produced less results...it is a cash cow for BIg Pharma.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 11:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Biggest waste of 100 million dollars EVER! He should have donated that money to Cancer research. Even with that money, Newark schools are not going to improve. And I would bet 100 million dollars on that!

Posted on: 2010/9/27 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
They could not give this money to Mayor Healy as he and Team Healy would find a way to pocket it!

Posted on: 2010/9/25 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
waste of money, kids on't learn because the vast najority are too stupid to understtand the value of learning. As are theiir lamme-assed parents.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 16:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I foresee the same graduation rates in 10 years, but a lot more Bentleys on Ferry Street.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
$100 million. Wow. Epps could have gone on a lot of vacations with that....

Posted on: 2010/9/23 13:05

$100 million from Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to Newark public schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Oprah to host N.J. Gov. Christie, Newark Mayor Booker for $100M school gift by Facebook CEO

Updated: Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 10:59 PM
Star-Ledger Staff

LOS ANGELES ? N.J. Gov. Chris Christie and Newark Mayor Cory Booker will make a surprise appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show Friday to announce an unprecedented restructuring of Newark's school system and the gift of $100 million from Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, two officials with direct knowledge of the plan told The Star-Ledger tonight.

Christie and Booker will proclaim that the long-troubled Newark schools, which have been under state control for 15 years, are going to be placed under Booker?s authority. Together, Booker and the school system will embark on a massive program of educational change long opposed by teachers unions.

It will include an expansion of charter schools, new achievement standards and methods for judging which schools and teachers are effective, the sources said.

The announcement was confirmed by a third person with knowledge of Booker and Christie?s arrangements. The sources detailed the plans on the condition they not be identified because they were not authorized to go public before Friday's show.

The reordering of the state's largest school district will be made possible by a challenge grant of $100 million from Zuckerberg, the 26-year-old billionaire who co-founded Facebook.

The grant is an invitation for others to become donors - with a goal of raising another $100 million, bringing the total gift to $200 million. The grant from Zuckerberg alone amounts to more than 10 percent of the district?s annual budget.

Zuckerberg is expected to join with Christie and Booker at Winfrey?s studio in Chicago for the announcement, according to the sources.

The announcement is scheduled to air live Friday in Chicago at 10 a.m. EDT and then rebroadcast at 4 p.m. on ABC Channel 7 in North Jersey and Channel 6 in the southern portion of the state.

The school plan calls for Christie to use his authority as the official overseer of the Newark district and name Booker a "special assistant to the governor" for education in the state?s largest city.

Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver said tonight she was pleased the money would be going to Newark schools but was concerned with any strings that might be attached to the gift.

"The devil is in the details," Oliver said. "We have to be very careful in terms of the intrusion into the public system and any donor that would provide funding to the Newark schools system, but I do want to examine what strings come with it."

The move was designed to "circumvent the local community and local control," Oliver said, adding that in order for the mayor to achieve control of schools by traditional means, the matter would have to go before a public referendum of Newark voters. "They probably know the mood in the Newark community is not one that would want to give the mayor appointing authority."

Oliver also noted the irony of Christie?s recent push to eliminate the practice of holding dual offices in New Jersey.

"Last week the governor said he didn?t want people to have two jobs," Oliver said.

Bruce Baker, an associate professor in Rutgers University?s Graduate School of Education and an expert on education spending, said "open questions" abound about how Newark will use such a large donation.

"We don?t know if it?s $100 million all at once, spread out over time, with conditions and strings attached," Baker said. "These circumstances are certainly interesting if not bizarre."

By Josh Margolin and David Giambusso/The Star-Ledger

Jessica Calefati contributed to this report.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 4:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017