Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JJ Editorial; Well worth reading....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
[quote]
Friggin political hack token appointment.

Vega, Colon.... seems this guy can only get a political job when someone else goes to jail....

Posted on: 2010/9/28 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
From the JJ:

Quote:
Velazquez, who earned his jurist doctorate at Notre Dame, works as a judge in the Jersey City Municipal Court and as assistant Hudson County counsel.

So this will make 3 city/county jobs this guy has.

Am I correct that this makes him the first "triple dipper"?

He's a multi-TOOL.

Friggin political hack token appointment.

Why, again, isn't Healy in jail?

Posted on: 2010/9/28 12:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
From the JJ:

Quote:
Velazquez, who earned his jurist doctorate at Notre Dame, works as a judge in the Jersey City Municipal Court and as assistant Hudson County counsel.

So this will make 3 city/county jobs this guy has.

Am I correct that this makes him the first "triple dipper"?

Posted on: 2010/9/28 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting pick. Second time he's been appointed to an elected position. (Never elected.)

Former Freeholder Velasquez nominated by Jersey City mayor to replace councilman who pleaded guilty to federal corruption charges

Published: Monday, September 27, 2010, 7:18 PM Updated: Monday, September 27, 2010, 8:44 PM
The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has nominated Velasquez to replace Marian Vega who resigned his at-large seat just before pleading guilty in federal court two weeks ago to accepting bribes.
Jersey City Council President Peter Brennan announced tonight at a City Council caucus that former Hudson County Freeholder Radames "Ray" Velasquez has been nominated by Mayor Jerramiah Healy as the person to take the at-large seat vacated by the resignation of Mariano Vega who pleaded guilty two weeks ago to federal corruption charges.

Velasquez, an attorney, served less than a term as a freeholder and decided to not run in the 2005 election. when he was leaving office, he announced that he is HIV-positive.

Velasquez was appointed to a freeholder seat vacated by the resignation in 2003 by seven-term Freeholder Nidia Davila-Colon of Jersey City who was convicted in federal court for her role in a 1999 bribery scheme invlving disgraced county executive Robert Janiszewski.

Vega resigned just before pleading guilty federal Court in Newark on sept. 14 to accepting $20,000 in bribes and agreeing to accept another $10,000 in July 2009 from an FBI informant.

The City Council seat became a political football after word got out that Healy was considering naming Vega's city aide, Hilario Nunez, a city school teacher. The problem was that members of the Puerto Rican community were upset because Nunez is a Dominican and the post has been held the past few terms by a Puerto Rican. Velasquez is Puerto Rican.

Brennan said the nomination is expected to be added to the agenda of Wednesday's council session.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 2:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users
+1

Posted on: 2010/9/24 13:20

JJ Editorial; Well worth reading....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Says it all beautifully. The comments are worth a look too.

JJ Editorial Link....

Posted on: 2010/9/24 12:40

Re: Omar Perez to be appointed Councilman at Large

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/9 13:52
Group:
Registered Users
With a recall effort to oust him he doesn't need that community up in arms against him.

Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Truth? Guess he had to cave in to the Puerto Ricans afterall huh?

Posted on: 2010/9/24 12:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not to rain on your parade (no pun intended) but he's not our Councilman until the City Council votes for him in and is sworn in.

Quote:

justsaying wrote:
The Mayor has selected Omar Perez, his Aide and Former Aide to City Council President Mariano Vega to be Vega's replacement. Here is his bio
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/omar-perez/4/906/275

Introducing your new Council Man!!!
http://yfrog.com/jyomarperezj

Posted on: 2010/9/24 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Truth? Guess he had to cave in to the Puerto Ricans afterall huh?

Posted on: 2010/9/24 1:56

Omar Perez to be appointed Councilman at Large

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/24 22:38
Group:
Registered Users
The Mayor has selected Omar Perez, his Aide and Former Aide to City Council President Mariano Vega to be Vega's replacement. Here is his bio
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/omar-perez/4/906/275

Introducing your new Council Man!!!
http://yfrog.com/jyomarperezj

Posted on: 2010/9/23 22:06

Re: Mayor Healy says he's looking for 'best qualified' to replace disgraced councilman
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
My impression in talking to him over the phone was that he sounded like an intern. Pleasant guy to talk to but he did not sound impressive. I feel like he is the type of person who could do a good job if he was allowed to think independently but I think he is already controlled by the machine.

I think it's a safe assumption that no one "they" pick is going to have "our" interests in mind.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 13:00

Re: Mayor Healy says he's looking for 'best qualified' to replace disgraced councilman
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
My impression in talking to him over the phone was that he sounded like an intern. Pleasant guy to talk to but he did not sound impressive. I feel like he is the type of person who could do a good job if he was allowed to think independently but I think he is already controlled by the machine.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 5:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
ffs Healy. We're not idiots.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City mayor says he's looking for 'best qualified' to replace disgraced councilman

Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop blasted Vega's delayed resignation.

"The resignation after the deadline was both to secure an existing rubber stamp and guarantee them a new improved rubber stamp," Fulop said. "No matter what excuse they make the facts are the facts."

Healy sees nothing suspicious about when Vega relinquished office.

"A plea negotiation and any understanding among an accused person, his or her attorney, and a prosecutor means nothing until acted upon by entering a guilty plea before a judge in open court, which didn't happen in Mariano Vega's case until last week," Healy said.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 4:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If he's such a great guy tell us about him. The only thing I've been able to ascertain is that he's Vega's neighbor and Mariano got him the job in the Mayor's Office. I've been in Downtown for 30 years now and no one not even my Latino friends know who this guy is. So please share.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 3:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Omar is a great guy. I hope this rumor is true.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
I met Omar Perez before the pipeline meeting. He seemed like a nice kid who was afraid to buck the machine. Sounded like he had already been brainwashed.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Seems like the only prerequisite is to be Hispanic.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 1:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Was having a bite to eat at the Hard Grove when we overheard two Hispanic men talking about Healy choosing some guy named Omar Perez. Seems like he's a Healy Aide. I personally never heard of him. Has anyone here? I'm sure like Nonez he'll just be a rubber stamp.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
How can you believe anything Mayor Healy says. He is a LIAR!!!!

He said in an article May 1, 2009:
A property tax increase simply isn?t in the cards. He says his administration has ?restrained spending while seeking new sources of reoccurring revenue,? specifically a parking lot tax and a hotel tax, which together bring in close to $10 million per year. HEALY LIED

He tells us crime is down, yes a shooting practically everyday - Another LIE

Healy promised police on the beat..Where are they? LIE

Healy LIED about Vega.

Open and Honest Government. We are yet to see - LIE

He shoved David Donnelly down our throats through appointing him, without given the residents an option and he will do the same with Vega's replacement.

Healy mentions he will replace with the best qualified, how can that happen when Healy himself is not qualified or competent as our Mayor!

Posted on: 2010/9/22 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Healy & Co. already have a replacement picked. Any rhetoric from Healy is him just blowing smoke.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 12:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If Healy is serious about getting the 'best qualified', then he should use a recruitment agency and he is void of any input or control of the process.

I'll bet there is some sort of 'under the table' - 'closed door' deal on who gets the nod for the role and we will not know for a few months that it was a case of nepotism, until someone from the inside lets the cat out of the bag.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 9:26
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Mayor Healy says he's looking for 'best qualified' to replace disgraced councilman
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City mayor says he's looking for 'best qualified' to replace disgraced councilman

Updated: Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 9:08 PM
Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said a number of people have stepped up to replace City Councilman Mariano Vega who resigned this month before pleading guilty to federal corruption charges.

Healy said he plans to nominate "the individual who I feel is best qualified for the job" and he hopes the council will quickly fill the vacancy.

Several residents at a recent City Council meeting asked for a formal process to replace Vega, who resigned Sept. 14, days after the deadline to force the city to hold a special election to fill the seat.

The residents noted that Vega signed the plea agreement on July 20, but continued to occupy office and vote on city matters until he quit last week.

Several people have expressed interest in Vega's seat including Dan Levin, 2009 mayor candidate and founder of One Jersey City; 2009 Ward C candidate Adela Rohena; Jersey City Peace Movement President Erik-Anders Nilsson; and former Ward E Councilman Junior Maldonado.

Sources say Vega's former council aide, Hilario "Larry" Nunez, a teacher at Snyder High School, is the favored replacement.

Healy said he is looking for someone who knows the city.

"The best candidate will be someone with a solid educational background, a family person who understands the daily challenges our families are facing during these tough times, and someone who has already demonstrated an interest in civics and government," he said.

Vega has declined to comment, but his attorney Peter Willis said the timing of his resignation was not tied to the election deadline.

Willis said Vega's daughter recently married and that was the main reason he waited to resign and plead guilty to taking bribes from a government informant.

Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop blasted Vega's delayed resignation.

"The resignation after the deadline was both to secure an existing rubber stamp and guarantee them a new improved rubber stamp," Fulop said. "No matter what excuse they make the facts are the facts."

Healy sees nothing suspicious about when Vega relinquished office.

"A plea negotiation and any understanding among an accused person, his or her attorney, and a prosecutor means nothing until acted upon by entering a guilty plea before a judge in open court, which didn't happen in Mariano Vega's case until last week," Healy said.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 5:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017