Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Police Salaries_Star Ledger
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
I'm really glad this article was posted. I have no idea what JC police make but I am FLOORED by their personal vehicles.

In the past two months, I've driven by construction/road work and there's always a JC cop around. I saw one sitting in his Mercedes SUV. I saw another one getting something out of his completely tricked-out Hummer and another sitting in a Cadillac Escalade.

I do realize that police put their lives on the line and are important and all, but since when did being a police officer replace being in "waste management?"

My property taxes went up $588. I'm unemployed and it's getting increasingly difficult to make ends meet. I have to be honest, it pisses me off when I see a cop at a construction site sitting on his ass in a luxury vehicle.
I'm seen a dude sitting around in a Porsche next to a construction site. Such BS. Getting paid to sit around on his fat ass in a Porsche, doing nothing to direct traffic or anything.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 17:12

JCPC Salaries and structure
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Doing a little research this AM on the JC website I was surprised to see that there is a director of police as well as a police chief here in JC.

Anybody know what function/role the director (Samuel Jefferson) serves? What is his salary?

Also what is the chief's (Thomas Comey) salary?

My curiosity was aroused when I read about our neighbor city to the North and the police chief making "$218,000 in salary and 48 vacation days, as well as more than two weeks of paid holidays. All told, his contract called for him to work less than a public school teacher."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... _should_former_union.html

As a point of reference Union City has a population of 67K or so. New York City (pop 8mil) pays their Police Commissioner (Ray Kelley) $212,947.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
I'm really glad this article was posted. I have no idea what JC police make but I am FLOORED by their personal vehicles.

In the past two months, I've driven by construction/road work and there's always a JC cop around. I saw one sitting in his Mercedes SUV. I saw another one getting something out of his completely tricked-out Hummer and another sitting in a Cadillac Escalade.

I do realize that police put their lives on the line and are important and all, but since when did being a police officer replace being in "waste management?"

My property taxes went up $588. I'm unemployed and it's getting increasingly difficult to make ends meet. I have to be honest, it pisses me off when I see a cop at a construction site sitting on his ass in a luxury vehicle.

It should not piss you off. Sometimes cops have spouses that make really good salaries and they choose to drive a luxury vehicle........ or..... sit in it and drink their coffee.
If I were sitting on my ass all day long I would want to do it in a mercedes too!
Dont just assume things and then go and get mad over it.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 4:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Charon wrote:
If you really want to know why this City is in desperate fiscal shape file an Open Public Records request and see how much the City is paying out to the retiring cops and firemen. It's shocking.

Didn't Bloomberg just say that 20% of NYC's budget goes to retiree benefits?

Posted on: 2010/10/3 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
If you really want to know why this City is in desperate fiscal shape file an Open Public Records request and see how much the City is paying out to the retiring cops and firemen. It's shocking.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 0:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/3 4:20
Group:
Registered Users
I'm done....I give up....you people are pathetic...no matter what I say you will have some unsatisfied idiotic response...good luck in your life...and I really mean that!!!

Posted on: 2010/10/2 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

brobdingnag wrote:
What does anyone care what someone else spends his money on? Maybe he lives out of the back of that suv because he cant afford a brownstone near Hamilton Park.

Because that cop is OUR employee whose union boohoos every contract negotiation about how the cops can't put food on the table.

And let's call things the way they really are. Even if you tripled the salary of every cop in JC - how many would choose to live here who don't already? Hamilton Park included.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brobdingnag wrote:
What does anyone care what someone else spends his money on? Maybe he lives out of the back of that suv because he cant afford a brownstone near Hamilton Park.

Because that cop is OUR employee whose union boohoos every contract negotiation about how the cops can't put food on the table.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 17:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/3 18:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
Quote:
Plenty of police officers drive non luxury vehicles. It is called personal choice.

Let me guess-- you're a cop OR related to a cop. How's that shield working out for you?

Well, my personal choice is not paying a 33% tax increase while seeing SOME police decide to flaunt their personal wealth.

This city is in a financial crisis. Seeing a cop in a luxury vehicle is a slap in the face of the tax payer.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 16:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Money well spent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/10/2 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Josiered wrote:
Dear Jackey -

What planet do you live on. You bet your A$$ "I" paid the bill for the construction cop to be here. When they hooked up our new sewer line "I" handed the cop $140. in CASH.

When we poured the foundation in my house you bet your A$$ "I" again paid the cop to stand there for another $140. in CASH.

When we put in the driveway you bet your A$$ "I" again paid the cop on construction detail YET another $140. in CASH.

I am not a contractor I am a private citizen who has a house in JC. The taxpayer DOES NOT pay for this, the homeowner does.

If you do anything in JC that requires a "COP" to be there to shut down the street because you need a concrete truck to pour concrete YOU PAY FOR IT ! Anything you do in JC requires a permit and a COP. Yes, I paid for it in CASH ! Two years ago they only accepted CASH and you gave it to them on the spot.

Would you like the names of all the officers that worked the construction detail that I paid in CASH? Get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

Wow! Can you post the names of the officers you paid in CASH? Only reason I can think of ppl wanting CASH is to avoid taxes...

Posted on: 2010/10/2 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Jackey -

What planet do you live on. You bet your A$$ "I" paid the bill for the construction cop to be here. When they hooked up our new sewer line "I" handed the cop $140. in CASH.

When we poured the foundation in my house you bet your A$$ "I" again paid the cop to stand there for another $140. in CASH.

When we put in the driveway you bet your A$$ "I" again paid the cop on construction detail YET another $140. in CASH.

I am not a contractor I am a private citizen who has a house in JC. The taxpayer DOES NOT pay for this, the homeowner does.

If you do anything in JC that requires a "COP" to be there to shut down the street because you need a concrete truck to pour concrete YOU PAY FOR IT ! Anything you do in JC requires a permit and a COP. Yes, I paid for it in CASH ! Two years ago they only accepted CASH and you gave it to them on the spot.

Would you like the names of all the officers that worked the construction detail that I paid in CASH? Get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 2:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Put a gun around anyone's waist and their head becomes an over-inflated balloon. The ego boost from this "authority" borders on psychotic. I am fully in the camp that most cops do more harm than good. Especially here in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Wait, who ever called cops heroes? And we PAY when the cop on duty sits in his car DRINKING through his whole construction shift and then shows up with a hangover and a shitty attitude the next day.

A well-armed populace would be 1000x better than a group of uneducated sanctioned thugs any day. Which goes to show how bad the state of affairs is!

They'd be better off cutting the entire police force and handing every JC citizen a loaded glock and a switchblade.

How to go from a decent point to over the top!

To refine your point, a cop making well over $100k including PD overtime shouldn't need to moonlight. Not only that, even if he's not drinking (which he could do off-duty anyway) he's not as rested and sharp the next day as we're paying him to be. Maybe if they were, there'd be less reports of rude cops, everyone's grouchy when they've gotten no sleep.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Wait, who ever called cops heroes? And we PAY when the cop on duty sits in his car DRINKING through his whole construction shift and then shows up with a hangover and a shitty attitude the next day.

A well-armed populace would be 1000x better than a group of uneducated sanctioned thugs any day. Which goes to show how bad the state of affairs is!

They'd be better off cutting the entire police force and handing every JC citizen a loaded glock and a switchblade.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
I think he's talking about you fireman.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 15:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackey wrote:
Hey Josiered,
What do you mean YOU pay for the off duty officer. Unless you are a contractor you pay absolutely squat. The taxpayer does not foot the bill. What makes me laugh is the fact no one complains about the supposed heroes who get PAID to sleep, are supplied with sleeping equipment, hang outside their place of employment and shoot the breeze, and learn to be gourmet cooks. This all being paid for by the taxpayer who is fooled by it all. The job they work is like a second job to them. It's nice they are all rested in the morning to go to their real jobs........but no complaints about them......wait till the city lays off cops, then you will have a crime rate to complain about. Oh, about those other heroes. When they have to work I wouldn't want to do what they do, but really it's not like it was in the old days. They are basically paid laborers whose training cannot come anywhere near that of a police officers.

Who is this you speak of?

Posted on: 2010/10/1 14:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Josiered,
What do you mean YOU pay for the off duty officer. Unless you are a contractor you pay absolutely squat. The taxpayer does not foot the bill. What makes me laugh is the fact no one complains about the supposed heroes who get PAID to sleep, are supplied with sleeping equipment, hang outside their place of employment and shoot the breeze, and learn to be gourmet cooks. This all being paid for by the taxpayer who is fooled by it all. The job they work is like a second job to them. It's nice they are all rested in the morning to go to their real jobs........but no complaints about them......wait till the city lays off cops, then you will have a crime rate to complain about. Oh, about those other heroes. When they have to work I wouldn't want to do what they do, but really it's not like it was in the old days. They are basically paid laborers whose training cannot come anywhere near that of a police officers.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:

OK the whole luxury SUV argument is silly. Just because they own a luxury car, doesn't mean they can really afford it. Plenty of people overextend. I'm sure there's lots of dumb cops out there (as there are lots of regular dumb people) who spend more than they should on a car.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 4:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityKid08 wrote:

Plenty of police officers drive non luxury vehicles. It is called personal choice.

Talk about tone deaf, both the cops and you. They make 2.5 times what the average JC resident does, before counting the bennies, and most don't live here. So lets just rub people's face in where their taxes go.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JerseyCityKid08 wrote:

Talk about tone deaf, both the cops and you. They make 2.5 times what the average JC resident does, before counting the bennies, and most don't live here. So lets just rub people's face in where their taxes go.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 3:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not a police officer. Not related to any police officers. It is not a slap in the face. That police officer can drive what ever he wants. He should not have to worry about what he drives to work.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Let me guess-- you're a cop OR related to a cop. How's that shield working out for you?

Well, my personal choice is not paying a 33% tax increase while seeing SOME police decide to flaunt their personal wealth.

This city is in a financial crisis. Seeing a cop in a luxury vehicle is a slap in the face of the tax payer.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 3:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Not to mention all the kickbacks they get too.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
Construction detail is a whole different story. That's a side job for JC police officers. About two years ago you had to pay them $35 CASH for off duty work, with a minimum of 4 hours. If the guys stood there for an hour you paid him $140. being construction/crane/hooking up a sewer line. If it went over 4 hours you paid in addition to the 4 hr. minimum. They pocketed every dollar and sometimes worked two jobs prior to going to their regular police job. So making $280 cash a day in addition to a salary isn't bad at all. Now you have to pay by check so they actually have to pay taxes on it. Wasn't the case two years ago.

What I don't get is when there is construction detail they are here for 4 hours or LESS, but if I called the JCPD I would not get a response for at least an hour, sometimes having to call back 2-3 times. In the Harsimus Cove area I understand there are only (2) officers on duty from Newark Ave to 10th Street and from Grove to Division. That's hardly "police protection" in my mind. That's why the thugs are out at night mugging people and spraying Graffiti on every building in town....where are the JCPD then?....Dunkin Donuts?

Posted on: 2010/10/1 2:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:

Posted on: 2010/10/1 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/10/1 2:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/20 20:28
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone should note that MEDIAN does not mean AVERAGE. Mean is the mathematical word for average. Median is just the middle number between the lowest and highest (in this case, between the lowest salary and the highest).

I'm not saying this still isn't a surprising amount of money for a police officer's salary. I am saying: keep this in mind before jumping to conclusions--as this particular journalist obviously intended for you to do.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 20:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/30 17:08
Group:
Registered Users
i got in the wrong business

Posted on: 2010/9/20 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
The police in this state are compensated better than I thought, I am happy to see that, they deserve every penny. I wish the city police were paid higher than the suburban police and not the other way around.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 12:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017