Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Mariano Vega resigns
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
You know? All the lies, and not stepping down when he knew all along? I would use the phrase, it's just shameful but he showed none of it. What I wish for him? An audit from the IRS baby!
Yup! The last five years...just saying...

Posted on: 2011/4/14 1:40
I am a rock, I am an Island... and a rock feels no pain and an island never cries...Simon & Garfunkle

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
mfadam wrote:
Does anyone know if he still collects his city pension after being convicted?

That's a big dollar amount; but I have no idea what the laws are for this sort of thing. Anyone?
as far as i know, he is a convicted felon, and as such, he loses his pension. on the other hand, he has a nice nest egg ...

Posted on: 2011/4/12 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if he still collects his city pension after being convicted?

That's a big dollar amount; but I have no idea what the laws are for this sort of thing. Anyone?

Posted on: 2011/4/12 12:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/19 3:01
Group:
Banned
What a disgrace! 3.3 million and he's out collecting envelopes full of cash. Some people get what they deserve.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 12:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
There is no doubt in my mind that Vega, Healy and others were paid off well during the whole 111 1st street fiasco, and we have all been robed of what was supposed to be the Powerhouse Arts District, due to wealthy land owners and the corrupt SOB\'s in city hall.

Its amazing Vega got the MINIMUM after all his lying and manipulating of his seat. I honestly think he deserves more jail time.

On another note. Has anyone noticed that the Youtube video of Healy and Dwek in the diner has been edited. The part where Dwek shakes Healys hand and says,\" I gave you that 10k before, Ill give you 10k now, and another 10k after the election\" And Healy replies, \" Thank you, we\'ll put it to good use, Its good for us, and good for the city\" Hard to believe he has not been convicted of any wrong doing.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
so if the federal prosecutor is putting his net worth at $3.3mm than why is no one trying to find out how much of that was ill gotten? My guess he didn't make that off his government salary or a few lucky days at the track...

I think all of these hcdo guys have substantial amount of bribe money socked away and laundered via real estate holdings.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 11:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
3.3 Million? Hmmm. Do you really think this was the first time this convicted felon took a bribe? He been a carreer politico for over 20 years IN NEW JERSEY. OK, OK - On the unlikely chance all these millions were made by smart investments or from some other legal way at least Vega will forever be doubted and considered to be a liar and thief.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 11:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
i'd love to see this convicted felon's mugshot!

because vega is now a convicted felon ...

Posted on: 2011/4/12 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
"Mariano has a drive; a compassion that forces him to do a lot more for people than he has to," remarked Juan Cartagena, one of those in the courtroom. "This was completely out of character."

Anyone who knows Mariano Vega knows he is an arrogant narcissist. His imperious nature and belief he was a made man in the HCDO crime family caused him to believe he could take the bribes from Dwek and skate.

His behavior after he was arrested, knowing full well he was guilty and continuing to hold his Council seat, is unforgivable. He is lucky he only got 30 months.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Ex-Jersey City Council president gets prison sentence in massive N.J. corruption probe Published: Monday, April 11, 2011, 6:33 PM Updated: Monday, April 11, 2011, 9:26 PM By Ted Sherman/The Star-Ledger JERSEY CITY ? When Mariano Vega was first introduced to Solomon Dwek, he was described on the surveillance video that captured the meeting as a "big boss" in Hudson County government. Today, the former president of the Jersey City Council was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison for agreeing to take $30,000 in cash bribes from an FBI informant posing as a corrupt developer. Vega was among more than 40 people charged in the sweeping money laundering and political corruption sting code-named "Bid Rig III," which led to the arrests of three mayors, two legislators, five Orthodox rabbis and dozens of others in July 2009. The 61-year-old Democrat pleaded guilty last September to a single count of extortion conspiracy, admitting that he agreed to accept a series of cash payments from the informant, Solomon Dwek, who agreed to cooperate with the government after he was charged in an unrelated, $50 million bank fraud. Dwek, using the name of David Esenbach, set up Vega and others by claiming to be seeking zoning board approvals for a phantom luxury condominium project in Jersey City. The project, concocted by the FBI as part of the sting, was located atop a chromium waste site and never actually existed, investigators said. The bribes to Vega were all paid through Maher Khalil, who at the time was the assistant director of the Jersey City Department of Health and Human Services and was working for Dwek to set up meetings with various political officials, according to prosecutors. Khalil also pleaded guilty last September and awaits sentencing. Vega, the first Hispanic to sit as president of the Jersey City council, had been facing far more serious obstruction of justice charges that had been dropped as part of the plea. The day before he was arrested, the FBI paid a visit to his home and showed him a picture of Dwek. Vega lied and told them he did not recognize the man he knew as Esenbach, and had met with at least six times, said federal prosecutors. In U.S. District Court in Newark today, Vega, who resigned from the council last year days before he pleaded guilty, stood to make a brief statement in a courtroom filled with friends, relatives, his wife and his children. "I made a mistake that I will live with forever," he said, apologizing to the court, his family and "the people of Jersey City." His attorney, Peter Willis of Jersey City, said Vega had succumbed to pressures connected with his aspirations to ultimately become the first Hispanic mayor of Jersey City. "To be a legitimate candidate, you have to raise at least $1 million," said Willis. At the time of the sting, Vega was running for re-election to the council, but saw Dwek as the first substantial investor for his future campaign. None of the money, added Willis, went into Vega?s pocket, and all was deposited into his campaign account. However, assistant U.S. attorney Sandra L. Moser, pointing out that Vega?s net worth was at least $3.3 million, said his political ambitions were no excuse for him to trade his office for cash. She noted that Vega agreed not only to take the money, but to have it paid through straw donors "from an obviously crooked developer" who made no secret of his intent to buy a vote. "The indictment was incredibly detailed. The defendant admitted that over five months, he met over and over and over and over again with the cooperating witness," Moser said of the meetings with Dwek, agreeing to take money in exchange for influence. "He was educated, he was experienced, and after 20 years, he knew better," she remarked. Judge Jose L. Linares, who has presided over most of the Bid Rig III cases, said so many of those caught in the sting were "people with so much promise who succumbed to greed and corruption." Vega, he said, took money even after the council election was over, and the amount of money involved was substantial. The judge, however, took note of the civic and social work taken on by Vega, as well as the numerous letters sent on his behalf. He sentenced him to the lower range called for in the federal guidelines, for a prison term of 30 months, as well as forfeiture of the money that he had taken from Dwek. Vega could have received as much as 37 months. Friends of the former councilman called it a sad day. "Mariano has a drive; a compassion that forces him to do a lot more for people than he has to," remarked Juan Cartagena, one of those in the courtroom. "This was completely out of character."

Posted on: 2011/4/12 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Feds don't release you early

Posted on: 2011/4/11 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
For a city that's in major financial turmoil, I'm surprised more hasn't been made of trying to find other financial misdeeds...

Remember that these guys were taken by the feds. Were it up to this city, they'd still be considered our most upstanding citizens. Just watch, he'll be out in a year, and soon be appointed to some job at an "authority" that'll keep feeding his city pension. The mob at city hall rewards omerta and loyalty.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
like I said slap on the wrist. Does anyone know if they did an audit of his finances? Seems to me these guys probably have a lot of loot squirreled away as these bribes were business as usual for years.

For a city that's in major financial turmoil, I'm surprised more hasn't been made of trying to find other financial misdeeds...

Posted on: 2011/4/11 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
30 months is outrageously too little. And he'll be out in 15.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 19:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/17 18:59
From Hudson Co.
Group:
Registered Users
I would doubt most of the users on here would affiliate themselves with Vega, but rather, they're too busy whining about bad dry cleaning, towing, and idolizing Fulop and the ground he walks on.

Mariano got 30 months. It should have been 30 years.

I hope he gets a pretty boyfriend/cellmate/whatever.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_city_council_pre_2.html

Posted on: 2011/4/11 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Just reported he received 30 months. He has to surrender in June.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 17:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
isn't today the sentencing - anyone know or care to hazard a guess?

My guess is the slap on his wrist won't hurt as much as the punches Healy's kid threw the other night...

Interesting how this isnt prime topic today on this blog?
I guess affiliations run deep.......

Posted on: 2011/4/11 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
isn't today the sentencing - anyone know or care to hazard a guess?

My guess is the slap on his wrist won't hurt as much as the punches Healy's kid threw the other night...

Posted on: 2011/4/11 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Vega is a completely arrogant guy who held on to his Council seat until the bitter end to serve the Healy political agenda. He is without remorse and should receive the maximum sentence.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 23:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/31 15:49
Group:
Registered Users
What a shame as I knew him back when I lived in JC. I feel for his family, especially his kids. Wall street and federal government being cleaned up in this manner is the only way to right the ship. I hate to say it but he deserves the maximum sentence, as do all that were found guilty in this sting.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
His sentencing hearing is scheduled for April 11th at 1 pm.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Has he gone to jail yet? If not, what is the hold up. He pleaded guilty - it's not like there is an appeal process under way and the Manzo loophole doesn't apply to him.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 14:48

Re: Mariano Vega Sentencing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, it is, and I don't take that lightly at all. He violated our public trust and essentially raped us all financially with his city and county jobs, including cars and benefits, while selling himself out for cash. JC and Hudson County politics at their worst...

Posted on: 2011/1/7 21:14

Re: Mariano Vega Sentencing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I get what you're saying, but a little harsh to wish rape upon someone, no?

Posted on: 2011/1/7 21:00

Mariano Vega Sentencing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
He was supposed to be sentenced today but no news yet. Anybody have any info? I seriously hope he gets the max or more. He cheated us to enrich himself, he got paid to keep his jobs while saying he was innocent, then pleaded guilty just too late for us to have any say over his replacement. What an A-hole. May he enter the prison system as a tight end and come out as a wide receiver...

Posted on: 2011/1/7 20:53

Re: Vega
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I wasn't aware the city job had a pension? would not be surprised to hear that the council position added something to his other pensions... generally there would have to be some sort of pension board hearing which would probably go to court if it went against him... unless the fix was in not to go after his pension(s). Then maybe they would go through the motion, county looses, no appeal.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 12:20

Vega
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone know if Vega keeps or loses his various pensions after pleading guilty to taking bribes and the like?

Posted on: 2010/9/25 10:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City residents ask for open, transparent process to replace Vega

Wednesday, September 15, 2010, 10:21 PM
Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City residents tonight implored the City Council to have an open and transparent process to replace former Councilman Mariano Vega who pleaded guilty to corruption charges yesterday.

Vega, who held an at-large seat, resigned Monday, just 11 days after a deadline that would have forced the city to hold a special election to replace him.

?By his delay he has pretty much stolen from the voters of Jersey City the opportunity to select his replacement,? said Dan Levin, founder of One Jersey City, a good government group that had called for Vega?s resignation after he was charged in July 2009.

Levin, who ran unsuccessfully for mayor last year on an anti-corruption slate, also announced his interest in replacing Vega.

?Should I be appointed by this body as councilman at-large, I would pledge not to run next November in order for any other candidates who should collect signatures to be put on the ballot to have a level playing field,? he said.

Several residents took issue with the date of Vega?s resignation. While in federal court in Newark to plead guilty Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Jose Linares said the plea agreement was dated May 26.

Vega?s attorney Peter Willis said that was the date the negotiations began, adding it was a lengthy process. But both signed the plea agreement July 20, well before the Sept. 2 deadline for a special election to fill Vega's vacant seat.

Levin has at least one-supporter. Regular council meeting attendee John Seborowski suggested the council consider Levin as a replacement over Vega?s former council aide Hilario Nunez, who sources say is a contender.

?I would hope going forward you make a wise decision and don?t just go with the old story of putting someone in because it?s convenient for you, it?s for the people,? Seborowski said. ?I would suggest looking at who ran in the last election.?

He then suggested Levin.

Resident Howard Trueger asked the council if there was any way to hold a special election.
?I think you should have an election,? he said. ?I think the council should go to court and get a waiver of the time limit and have an election. It?s not unheard of.?

Council President Peter Brennan said the city must follow the statute.

Andrew Hubsch, president of CivicJC a good government group, said his group was willing to work with council to ensure the process is open and transparent.

Resident Jamie Rudolph suggested a series of public hearings for candidates over the next month.
?If Mr. Vega has done the right thing and resigned months ago or even last week, tens of thousands of Jersey City voters would have heard what the candidates had to say,? Rudolph said. ?The council should pass a resolution calling for public hearings.?

Posted on: 2010/9/16 5:30

Re: Mariano Vega Pleads Guilty.......
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Vega Timeline from the JJ:

July 23, 2009: Jersey City Council President Mariano Vega is arrested along with 43 others in a massive political corruption and international money laundering sting. Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy says he doesn't have the power to remove Vega from office.

July 24, 2009: Jersey City Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop announces he will introduce a resolution asking Vega to step down from City Council.

July 27, 2009: During a City Council caucus, Vega reads a statement saying he will not resign.

July 29, 2009: One Jersey City holds a rally prior to the City Council meeting demanding Vega and others resign. Fulop's resolution asking Vega to step-down fails in a 7-1 vote, with Fulop as the only supporter. Vega maintains his innocence.

Aug. 4, 2009: Fulop holds a "National Night Out Against Crime" rally calling for Vega's resignation.

Aug. 9, 2009: Healy announces a firm has been hired to audit the city's development approval process following the July arrests.

Aug. 12, 2009: Vega maintains his innocence but says he has stepped down from his position on the city board responsible for approving tax abatements for developments.

Oct. 6, 2009: Vega issues letter of "temporary" resignation as council president until he is "completely exonerated," but keeps his at-large council seat.

Oct. 28, 2009: Vega amends his campaign finance reports with the state Election Law Enforcement Commission to include four payments from straw donors totaling $10,000. The money was a portion of the bribes from Solomon Dwek, a real estate developer turned government informant.

Dec. 17, 2009: A federal grand jury issues an eight-count indictment charging Vega with accepting $30,000 in corrupt payments and lying to FBI agents about knowing Dwek.

Jan. 21, 2010: Vega pleads not guilty before U.S. District Judge Jose L. Linares.

Feb. 23, 2010: Vega comes under fire for having a city-issued vehicle. He accepted the vehicle after losing his county car, following his suspension as director of the county Department of Parks, Planning and Engineering after his arrest.

June 9, 2010: A three-person committee files notice of its intention to recall Vega.

Sept. 13, 2010: Vega resigns from his City Council seat effective 5 p.m.

Sept. 14, 2010: Vega pleads guilty to one count of conspiracy to obstruct commerce by extortion under color of official right for agreeing to accept $30,000 in bribes. The other charges against him are dismissed

Posted on: 2010/9/15 13:13

Re: Mariano Vega Pleads Guilty.......
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
That Lying SOB! Due to the fact that he was lying all along, cant the timing of his resignation be challenged ? If Healy was a honest person he would allow the seat to be voted on by the people, but he wont, he knows he's next and is going to play us to the end.

If i could i would sign this petition 30,000 times

Posted on: 2010/9/15 11:47

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017