Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Goldman Sachs Scaffolding
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
... they don't plan to stay in New Jersey thereafter, especially since they were never able to convince the top brass to move to New Jersey.

I would be very surprised if this is true. The Goldman Sachs move to JC is not an isolated case. More and more law firms, hedge funds and other financial firms are moving a LOT of their back room operations to locations outside of NYC. With networking technologies that allow for offices over disparate locations to work and collaborate as if they were literally one door over, many firms have come to realize that paying premium rates on office space in NYC (what's the current rate per sq ft in Midtown and/or Downtown!?) is not worth it when you can buy space elsewhere (a client of mine just moved ALL of their support and backroom operations to Florida) for a fraction of the cost. Over the past year or two, many of my clients in Wall Street have leased and/or announced plans to move their staff to JC, keeping a small footprint in NY to use for upper management, some conference rooms and working offices, and for the NYC corporate address.

Not planning to stay in New Jersey doesn't mean moving back to NYC, for what it's worth. At the very least, I'm sure they will shop around again for massive tax breaks.
yes. i guess they want those tax breaks. i doubt gs would be dumb enuff to move all to consolidate ny area presence back in manhattan. they need contingency plans

I'm the crazy guy who rides my bike past their building en route to the park and holds my middle finger up at them while saying "Goldman Sucks!"

Posted on: 2015/1/25 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
... they don't plan to stay in New Jersey thereafter, especially since they were never able to convince the top brass to move to New Jersey.

I would be very surprised if this is true. The Goldman Sachs move to JC is not an isolated case. More and more law firms, hedge funds and other financial firms are moving a LOT of their back room operations to locations outside of NYC. With networking technologies that allow for offices over disparate locations to work and collaborate as if they were literally one door over, many firms have come to realize that paying premium rates on office space in NYC (what's the current rate per sq ft in Midtown and/or Downtown!?) is not worth it when you can buy space elsewhere (a client of mine just moved ALL of their support and backroom operations to Florida) for a fraction of the cost. Over the past year or two, many of my clients in Wall Street have leased and/or announced plans to move their staff to JC, keeping a small footprint in NY to use for upper management, some conference rooms and working offices, and for the NYC corporate address.

Not planning to stay in New Jersey doesn't mean moving back to NYC, for what it's worth. At the very least, I'm sure they will shop around again for massive tax breaks.
yes. i guess they want those tax breaks. i doubt gs would be dumb enuff to move all to consolidate ny area presence back in manhattan. they need contingency plans

Posted on: 2015/1/24 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/24 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/24 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Somehow I think if I owned a business or home that's had scaffolding surrounding it for several years I'd have inspectors writing me tickets weekly . . .

Posted on: 2015/1/24 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
They give out millions and millions of dollars in bonuses every year to partners, but they can't fix their own building? And Fulop as an ex-employee has no juice to get this eyesore fixed?

I thought the rumor was they were moving out of this building. If true, it explains why they don't want to pay to maintain it.
i thought i read somewhere that gs was looking to build another building in jc,which was surprising given office vacancies in north jersey

Back in 2006 that was true. They still own the site north of their current building and also the adjacent parking lot between Hudson and Greene. But they're not planning a new building any time soon.

My understanding is that the tax incentives they were given by the state in 2002 (actually agreed to with the Whitman administration, I think) to lure them in expire in 2017, and they don't plan to stay in New Jersey thereafter, especially since they were never able to convince the top brass to move to New Jersey.

Posted on: 2015/1/24 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
They give out millions and millions of dollars in bonuses every year to partners, but they can't fix their own building? And Fulop as an ex-employee has no juice to get this eyesore fixed?

I thought the rumor was they were moving out of this building. If true, it explains why they don't want to pay to maintain it.
i thought i read somewhere that gs was looking to build another building in jc,which was surprising given office vacancies in north jersey

Posted on: 2015/1/24 8:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure if GS is moving out of 30H, but currently part of the building is rented out to another company. Guess there is just too much vacancy due to the market conditions (not enough employees to fill the whole building)...

Posted on: 2015/1/24 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/24 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/24 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
As far as I know - this is an issue with every single high-rise building, period. Ice sheets form on sides of buildings, then it slips off and falls when it starts to melt. Ever seen the yellow tape around the WFC?

You could just as easily die from falling ice from a 5-story building.

I thought it was bits of the facade itself that had fallen, not ice, which would explain why the netting is up year-round.

Posted on: 2015/1/24 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
As far as I know - this is an issue with every single high-rise building, period. Ice sheets form on sides of buildings, then it slips off and falls when it starts to melt. Ever seen the yellow tape around the WFC?

the point is they should thought about this problem while building the thing by protecting the streets near and not just throw some nets on top as an afterthought. It's something pretty obvious and well documented for highrises.
there is no ice from april to november so why the permanent scaffolding. make them take it down when there is no ice or make them build something more permanent, more elegant

Posted on: 2015/1/23 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

the point is they should thought about this problem while building the thing by protecting the streets near and not just throw some nets on top as an afterthought. It's something pretty obvious and well documented for highrises.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/23 2:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/1/23 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
As we used to say in the computer industry, "it's not a bug. It's a feature!"

Posted on: 2015/1/23 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PotStirJC wrote:
What is the deal with the Goldman Sachs scaffolding?

1. I have heard rumors that there is a design flaw that causes icicles to form and fall from the tower. But this is just a rumor. I also heard there is a lawsuit against the architectural firm. Does anyone know the real reason for the scaffolding?

2. Does Goldman Sachs have the right to leave permanent scaffolding around the base of their tower? Shouldn't this be addressed by zoning laws? I'm sure this scaffolding was not shown when the tower was initially proposed. The town should force them to correct any problems that require the scaffolding (AHEM Mr. "conflict of interest" Fulop). They certainly can afford it. Not to mention the fact that they are using a makeshift solution to solve a potentially fatal design flaw.

Anyone have any info here?

it's to catch the traders who only got 6 instead of 7 or 8 figures on their bonus.

j/k, they need to have it until the falling debris issue can be resolved, otherwise people will die.

Posted on: 2015/1/22 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Rotten company, rotten building.

Posted on: 2015/1/22 21:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/25 12:40
Group:
Registered Users
The tubing which has been applied to the facade i.e. Fenestration. This material contracts and falls to the ground. The issue (who is to blame) as I understand has been in litigation for years.

Posted on: 2015/1/22 12:38

Goldman Sachs Scaffolding
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/6 17:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
What is the deal with the Goldman Sachs scaffolding?

1. I have heard rumors that there is a design flaw that causes icicles to form and fall from the tower. But this is just a rumor. I also heard there is a lawsuit against the architectural firm. Does anyone know the real reason for the scaffolding?

2. Does Goldman Sachs have the right to leave permanent scaffolding around the base of their tower? Shouldn't this be addressed by zoning laws? I'm sure this scaffolding was not shown when the tower was initially proposed. The town should force them to correct any problems that require the scaffolding (AHEM Mr. "conflict of interest" Fulop). They certainly can afford it. Not to mention the fact that they are using a makeshift solution to solve a potentially fatal design flaw.

Anyone have any info here?

Posted on: 2015/1/22 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
It is certainly something the city should make them fix. If your building is a safety hazard, you fix it. Scaffolding is not a fix, it is a stop-gap until you get a fix in place.

Hopefully our newly elected representatives will actually give a crap about the city and get things like this fixed.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 13:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Outside of methodically examining and repairing the entire building as needed, (which is certain to be cost prohibitive) are there any other alternatives to the netting/scaffolding they have now?

Its interesting how intricate the facade is actually.. seems like it has all sorts of different features. I guess it shouldn't be completely beyond the realm of thought that this could be an issue that came up.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 12:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/5 21:40
Group:
Registered Users
This is such an eyesore. I wish they could be forced to fix it up.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So Goldman Sachs is too poor to fix the facade.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 14:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I believe they have problems with the facade and small pieces falling onto the walkway.

This is what I understand as well.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I believe they have problems with the facade and small pieces falling onto the walkway.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 11:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone happen to know what this scaffolding is for, and if it is a permanent part of the landscape now?
It sounds like its been there for a little less than three years.. so I guess it is?

Posted on: 2013/6/8 23:23

Goldman Sachs Scaffolding

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/21 11:24
From Hamilton Park, JC
Group:
Registered Users
I walked past the Goldman Sachs building the other day, and noticed some serious scaffolding and netting around the building. Does anyone know what is going on over there?

Posted on: 2010/8/31 19:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017