Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: What do you think about Duncan ave. off of JFK Blvd. in Journal SQ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
Quote:

FYI: Just checked out this website, seems like a load of BS. It described my neighborhood on the border of JSQ and McGinley Sq as "Artsy/funky, Urban Sophisticates" and full of "Young singles-upwardly mobile (young, educated, professionally employed, and single)" as well as "Mostly White (non-Hispanic)". Not at all an accurate description.

I wouldnt take it to seriously. They said Irvington was walkable and artsy/funky also.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 18:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FYI: Just checked out this website, seems like a load of BS. It described my neighborhood on the border of JSQ and McGinley Sq as "Artsy/funky, Urban Sophisticates" and full of "Young singles-upwardly mobile (young, educated, professionally employed, and single)" as well as "Mostly White (non-Hispanic)". Not at all an accurate description.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
145K seems a bit high in a market that continues to trend downward.

What is the square footage? How many foreclosures in the area? How many bank owned properties are in the area? Are there any recent sales on comparably sized units?

These are all questions I would get answers on before I got serious about purchsing anything in this market.

As far as neighborhoods go, It's no better or worse than most in JC with the exception being Bergen Ave. Stay off of there after dark.

Best of Luck.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I ALMOST moved into 60? Duncan (the cream colored one with the circular driveway) before I chose Newport. The elegant but dated top floor 6 room apartment was grand but the rent was twice what I had been paying.

But that was a long time ago. The City tries a little harder to keep it safe for a lot of seniors living at Boyd-MvGuiness on Kennedy between Duncan and Fairview (I think.)

But then you didn;t say what side of Kennedy you were considering.

To the West down the hill and the "grandeur" disappears.
$145K for 2 br/2bath sounds okay. How about real estate taxes, HOA, and utilities?

Posted on: 2010/8/26 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i went to highschool at st. doms on duncan at jfk. now i walk dogs on the block daily (36 duncan has some nice condos and i'd imagine the surrounding buildings are equally as nice.)

overall, no problems there on my daily adventures with people now. 15 years ago when i was going into high school the block was full of dog poop and bums and other "loitering" and mouthy folks.

there is also the st. paul's church. many of the parishioners that live on the block will confront you if you even step foot on the property and don't belong to their church....not that it's quite a bad thing, just something to note about the watch everyone seems to have over there.

there are a lot of busses in the area. if you're not looking to go out and party every night or can afford a cab to do so when it gets really late, then by all means check it out. you're only a few blocks from the park which is awesome and a short walk to the square.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 6:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/13 22:03
From see profile name
Group:
Registered Users
I bought a place on Duncan between JFK and Bergen a few years ago. I planned on living there for a while, but after a pay cut, went back to downtown and living with a roommate, and am still subletting the place. Having lived there for nearly a year, I had almost no problems. That block is quiet and tree-lined, and close to a supermarket and several produce markets on Bergen (if you're healthy) and a Dunkin Donuts (if you're not).

As far as sketchiness, you're fine during the day, and you'll want to keep an eye out at night. Having lived in Brooklyn, it sounds like you've got a good attitude and aren't expecting a suburb or anything. It's a 15 minute walk to the PATH, and the only time I had any sort of problem was walking home one night around 3 when I noticed I was being followed (i'm a guy). I ran to a cab and scared him off. If you'll be driving a lot, then you shouldn't have any problems, but keep in mind that street parking doesn't come easy around there and you might have to pay to park in a lot.

For the most part, i'd say that if you can get in at that price, go for it. that's a great deal, and worth it for the lack of bars/restaurants/shops if you just want a nice apt. to come home to. PM me if you want more details or have any questions.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 5:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/11 19:45
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
no, not exactly, but i'm not naive enough to think that people of different size, stature, race, and gender have the same things to worry about when walking the streets alone in different neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 20:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/8 16:02
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
really?? So if your big, black and old you have nothing to worry about? JESUS!

Not nothing, but a different set of things things to worry about.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Doesn't hurt.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

aga07 wrote:
I agree with missmags that closer to JFK is definitely better than closer to Bergen. The difference between the 2 roads is very noticeable. With that said, owning a 2Br/2Ba at 145k in a decent area is better than renting a smaller place downtown. How far down do people really think prices will go? The area isn't THAT bad. If you're going to be living here for 5-10 years, then it's a good investment.

Yes there's crime in Jersey City, more so in this area than downtown. I bought a 1/1 on JFK by Lincoln Park earlier this year and I do not regret it at all. During the day I doubt you'll ever have a problem. My gf is 24, white, and tiny and she walks the dog by herself around the neighborhood during the day and never has problems. It's a city so at night is a different story, just use common sense. I wouldn't walk on Bergen Ave by myself at night. If you come home after sunset then take a cab. It's $5 from JSQ to this area.

There is nothing in the area to do. Zero bars, zero shopping, zero restaurants (2 good things in area are Lincoln Park and the new Gold's gym). If you know that coming into the neighborhood, then it's not a problem. Be prepared to drive downtown or get what you need on the way home from work in NYC.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.

"My gf is 24, white, and tiny"

really?? So if your big, black and old you have nothing to worry about? JESUS!

Posted on: 2010/8/24 18:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/9 1:32
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you all! I would be moving from brooklyn, so my perspective on safe and unsafe might differ... I have a higher dose of tolerance. I drive and I'm willing to go back home (NYC) when I need a nightlife! I do not have kids, so this is just a matter of me getting into real estate, and having some much needed space and privacy for less $$$.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I would start by attending both of the area's local block association meetings. One being the police district's Captain's meeting for the entire section and the other being the actual local block association. Call the Mayor's office (201) 547-4900 or the NID (201) 547-5683 both of these city agencies are constantly in touch with the residents. The mayors office usually has a list of all block associations. You also might want to "hang around" the neighborhood and pretend you already live there. Immerse yourself into the core of the community as if you lived there. Visit the local library, attend the house of worship affiliated with your religion, pick a store and shop there. Well you got the idea.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I currently live on Belmont, a few blocks South of Duncan. I used to live Downtown on Grand Street and am moving back downtown to Mercer next month - if that gives you any indication of my feelings on the area.

I love my apartment (I rent), love my neighbors, and love Lincoln Park. There is a lot of variance from block to block, but I've found the neighborhood to be a bit sketchy. If you're the type to come home and stay home, then, I think it's fine, but if you like to go out and possibly come home late, it's something to consider. There's nothing really to do in the neighborhood so if you want to hang out, you'll have to go somewhere else.

I found myself spending a lot of nights on friend's couches because coming home late at night was risky (especially if you don't drive).

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
I think it sounds like a great investment!

We tried to buy something on Duncan earlier this year and were outbid. Instead we live 3 blocks away on Glenwood.
Prior to that we lived right by Hamilton Park. We're very pleased with our new neighborhood. You get a lot for your $$. While I agree that there's not much to do at night in terms of restaurants/bars, I disagree that there's nothing there at all. In fact it's much easier to get hands on good fresh produce on Bergen Ave than from HP. What can I say about Bergen Ave - it's not very pretty to look at. But I feel safe walking there at night alone up to 8 pm. and up until 10-11 pm with my husband. You're also on a lot of bus lines if you're between Bergen and Kennedy and near Montgomery.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/11 19:45
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with missmags that closer to JFK is definitely better than closer to Bergen. The difference between the 2 roads is very noticeable. With that said, owning a 2Br/2Ba at 145k in a decent area is better than renting a smaller place downtown. How far down do people really think prices will go? The area isn't THAT bad. If you're going to be living here for 5-10 years, then it's a good investment.

Yes there's crime in Jersey City, more so in this area than downtown. I bought a 1/1 on JFK by Lincoln Park earlier this year and I do not regret it at all. During the day I doubt you'll ever have a problem. My gf is 24, white, and tiny and she walks the dog by herself around the neighborhood during the day and never has problems. It's a city so at night is a different story, just use common sense. I wouldn't walk on Bergen Ave by myself at night. If you come home after sunset then take a cab. It's $5 from JSQ to this area.

There is nothing in the area to do. Zero bars, zero shopping, zero restaurants (2 good things in area are Lincoln Park and the new Gold's gym). If you know that coming into the neighborhood, then it's not a problem. Be prepared to drive downtown or get what you need on the way home from work in NYC.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
If I were you I would check out the neighborhood at various times of day and see what you think. Everyone has a different feeling about certain neighborhoods. With St Peters right there it is an okay area but the area does have some crime. In my opinion Duncan closer to JFK is better than Duncan closer to Bergen. I have ran numerous times to Duncan and feel mostly safe during the day but at night there are a lot of kids / young adults hanging out on the street.

You can send me a PM if you want to know more.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 14:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I just moved to Duncan between Kennedy and Bergen this summer. (I'm a 44-year-old woman who works in Manhattan.) I love my roomy, quiet, affordable apartment, my building, and my block. The rest of the neighborhood I'm still making up my mind about. So far I haven't found any place to hang out--very little in the way of restaurants, coffee houses, decent bars, etc. (Where are the student hangouts for St. Peter's students??) It strikes me as a neighborhood that varies a lot block by block. I generally feel safe walking along Kennedy and Bergen during the day and early evening. After 8, I usually take a cab from the PATH--which I also did when I lived in Hamilton Park, because I'd rather spend a few bucks and not worry. There are some definite signs of improvement in the neighborhood--some houses being rehabbed, new condo buildings--and given the quality of the housing stock, I think it has some potential for gentrification, but overall the area has a ways to go.

For me, it works. I looked downtown and saw a lot of 600-square-foot railroad apartments. And frankly, even though downtown Jersey City has come a long way in the ten years since I moved there, it's still not Manhattan. The amenities downtown aren't so great that I'd want to squeeze myself into a shoebox just to be near them.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/8/24 13:38

What do you think about Duncan ave. off of JFK Blvd. in Journal SQ?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/9 1:32
Group:
Registered Users
Hello! I am a 27 yr. old female who works in NYC and I'm thinking of buying a 2br. 2ba. Condo, it's about 2blocks from St. Peter's College.... What do you think? Good or bad investment (145k)???

Posted on: 2010/8/24 13:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017