Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
68 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 6th Street Area in Downtown JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I live *right* there, am a slight-ish built woman and the area's fine - even late at night - but use your judgement. Not sure that you know what we mean about the mall - but it's open for you to walk through at all hours of the day/night.

When coming off the Newport PATH at 2am after a weekend concert in the city - they're always been folks walking through both the mall, parking garage and neighborhood. Best part is that they all look just like you too - meaning working professionals. Not sure if the cabs stay in front of the mall all night - but you could easily walk over to the hotel and grab one. Grove Street always has cabs available and as per previous post, the cost is approx. $4.00.

Regarding the bar on the corner of 6th / Coles - I have to say that it's been quieter than usual on weekends - certainly quieter than when I moved in 3 years ago. We neighbors of the bar have the JC non emergency number on speed dial and call them at the first sign of a fight breaking out. For the most part, dealing and gang related nonsense outside of the bar has also seemed to move on.

Welcome to the 'hood.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 17:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/5 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the area, and I walk from Grove at all hours - for context, I'm a bigger guy and not too skiddish. The mall at 3 am creeps me out. Not because of any real perceived danger, but more in the horror-movie shining sort of way.

I'm actually a block or two farther, and I ride a bike to grove some days, too. Any chance of that? A 13 minute walk turns to a 3 minute ride and takes out (more or less) the danger factor.

It can get a bit empty on other streets, but Newark ave, for all its flaws, usually has some people milling about.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 15:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live about a block away and I have for the past 6 years.

I approach the late night walks this way. Anything before 10 pm I will walk from Grove St. After that I take Newport until about midnight. After midnight I take the path to Grove and take a cab. The ride from the station costs about 4 bucks but I scare easily, so I figure it's worth it.

Incidentally, I leave EARLY in the morning. I walk to the train at 5:30 am, and I've done so for 3 years, but I've never had a problem. Knocking wood also.

I'd recommend the neighborhood to anyone who commutes to the city. It's so close to everything but much more civilized than Hoboken. You can even park your car pretty easily if you have one.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2010/8/23 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
I live about 2 blocks back and 1 block over.
The area is safe enough.
Sometimes it can seem desolate late at night when you turn off Newark, but my wife and I have never had any trouble. (knock on wood).

I usually take Grove going in and Newport coming back.
Grove will definitely be quicker.

You didn't mention if you were buying or renting.
If you're buying, look up the embankment thread.
Depending on how things work out, the embankment could become high rise housing, a park, a light rail extension or any combination of the three. Something to consider I guess.

Best of luck.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 12:24

6th Street Area in Downtown JC

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/23 11:37
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

I've been doing some research about moving to Downtown NJ. Is 6th Street near Coles St a safe area? It looks like it is between Hamilton Park and Harsimus Cove. I would be walking home late at night from work so I know it is important just to be careful but would it be ok? Also which way would be the best to walk from the Path - go through the Newport Mall or walk up Grove St.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 4:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017