Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Downtown: Debit Card Fraud at Chase Bank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I work there too and they suck for some things and are ok for others. They're SUPPOSED to detect fraud. All the fees you pay are supposed to go for decent technology. At least in part. Don't forget that. If you get sick off fees there are alternatives. I work there and bank with ING.

Posted on: 2012/2/11 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Why would anyone bank at Chase? I worked there for 10 years, I would never bank there, they will never take responsibility for anything.

Posted on: 2012/2/11 1:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
Got another call today from a rep who detected fraudulent activity and froze my account before anything could happen. She told me to come into a Chase branch tomorrow and transfer my money into new accounts.

This is just going to keep happening around here, I suppose.

Posted on: 2012/2/11 0:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/14 2:06
From 2nd Floor on Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Just got called by Chase about fraudulent charges. I used the ATM to make a deposit at the bank at 50 Columbus the day before yesterday. I hardly ever use that branch, so it seems more than coincidental that my account was compromised the day after banking there.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
I have a Chase account. Last week I booked a hotel room overseas online for an upcoming trip, and Chase froze my account and called me with a fraud alert. I have to admit I was pretty impressed how quickly they were on it.

In Europe they use the cards with the chip in them, apparently they're harder to replicate. In the US, the banks say it's cost prohibitive to switch over to that system here, I guess it's still cheaper to pay out all these fraudulent transactions?

At Duane Reade and other places that let you 'blink' the card, I do that, somehow it feels more secure. I'm not sure that it is, but I figure at least the technology to steal your account info via a 'blink' would have to be a little more advanced than your basic magnetic strip reader.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 2:01
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
From reading the Jersey Journal, you'd think that there's basically no crime downtown...

Quote:

Skywarp wrote:
Just read the last two posts. Infuriating, especially lomotion's, whose story is basically mine. I feel like this should have been bigger news, seeing how so many JC Chase customers have been ripped off recently.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 18:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just read the last two posts. Infuriating, especially lomotion's, whose story is basically mine. I feel like this should have been bigger news, seeing how so many JC Chase customers have been ripped off recently.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
We were frauded too. But it was CHASE credit cards being used for gas in Texas, cigar shops in Spain. I know three other people who were frauded by CHASE with costs in Europe recently on their credit card (not ATM card).

Posted on: 2010/8/12 12:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/16 21:02
Group:
Registered Users
Just read this. This happened to me as well and I can say with 100% certainty that it was the teller machine at this Chase branch. I only ever use my debit card to make ATM withdraws (never use it for regular purchases or debit purchase, I use credit card for that so I dont have to be out money if someone gets my CC info). I few months ago I made a deposit here and had to swipe my debit card and enter my pin at the teller. A few weeks ago, boom, money taken out of an ATM in Paris. They refunded my money for me, but shouldn't corporate Chase be looking closer at this branch to find the corrupt employee that helped rig this thing?

Posted on: 2010/8/12 2:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/10 14:34
Group:
Registered Users
I have worked in retail and no for a fact that a merchant is not allowed to accept an unsigned card, even if it says "Ask for ID". Not signing the card, makes the card invalid according to the credit card agreement between the card holder and credit card company.

"According to Visa and MasterCard, when a merchant sees "See ID" on the back of a card instead of a signature, that card should not be processed."

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-car ... -or-write-see-ID-1282.php

Posted on: 2010/8/4 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I have both the sig and photo ID request on my non photo cards after being warned that some particularly dimwitted clerks refuse to accept an "unsigned card".

I had a clerk refuse my "see photo ID" only once even with my photo ID. My response of "No problem, please void the transaction; I'll take my business elsewhere" was enough to make them accept it.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
You still have cashiers looking at the friggin signature!

Instead of my signature, on all my cards, I've written "REQUEST PHOTO I.D."

Solves that particular problem.

I have that on my signature line as well.
I'd say 1 in 50 actually ask for it.

That's been my experience too. I have both the sig and photo ID request on my non photo cards after being warned that some particularly dimwitted clerks refuse to accept an "unsigned card".

Posted on: 2010/8/4 0:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Nothing new here, retrenched white collar workers resorting to white collar crime.............they too have bills to pay!

Bank tellers don't make much. Not justifying fraud and theft, but just sayin.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Nothing new here, retrenched white collar workers resorting to white collar crime.............they too have bills to pay!

Posted on: 2010/8/3 21:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I have that on my signature line as well.
I'd say 1 in 50 actually ask for it.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 19:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/31 12:12
Group:
Registered Users
Wow -- that happened to me too. Last week, with a fake charge from Paris. Chase caught it before it even posted to my account, so no harm done, except I have to get a new ATM card.

I usually use the ATM at Duane Reade, but have made deposits at the branch.

I wonder how many others got caught?

Strangely (or not) this is the SECOND time in the last 3 mos. that we have had false overseas charges, and have had to get new debit cards! Last time, it was both my card and my husband's.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
... in this case a compromised card reader, that could easily have been done by a "customer" rather than a cashier. ...

I don't understand how a customer could attach at card reader to a teller's card reader. That seems impossible. If what the op is saying is true, then I think the bank is keeping hush hush because it HAD TO have been an inside job. How else could that have happened?

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The ridiculously lax banking security has been a peeve of mine for ages. I've had a photo on my Citicard for 20 years, yet this is not even common, not to say required. You still have cashiers looking at the friggin signature! We have a cash replacement system that is as strong as it's weakest link, in this case a compromised card reader, that could easily have been done by a "customer" rather than a cashier. But what about all the waiters who have secretly run your card through a reader, or the ecommerce site that gets hacked, or your computer that's compromised and they get it all via a keylogger? The whole system is a sieve, but they've been raking in so much cash and passing off losses to us collectively that there's simply no incentive to change.

Don't even get me started on them also still use easily available public info like your mothers maiden name as security passcodes for phone banking.

See this about ATM scanners, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
This is why I don't bank online or with ATM machines. I have a passbook account and paper checking. Watch what happens when we go to a cashless society.

UM... the poster is saying that it happened at the teller. The implications of this are big... meaning it was an inside job somewhow.

So when you take out cash, do you give the teller your card? Well, if you do, this could have been you.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This is why I don't bank online or with ATM machines. I have a passbook account and paper checking. Watch what happens when we go to a cashless society.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 17:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yup, we submitted a claim with Chase and it was a relatively quick process to get the money back in our account. It's just so frustrating to feel violated like that. It's even more frustrating that they won't 'fess up to their mistake for the sake of covering their butts legally (and to not scare branch members out of pulling their cash).

Posted on: 2010/8/3 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
You should know that when this happens, you are not liable for any of the fraudulent withdraws or charges. Just let the bank know about it and they should refund your money and fix it.

It's the banking industry's fault that this happens. The security system is old and and outdated. The vulnerabilities are known, but it is easier for them to react rather than prevent.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 17:04

Downtown: Debit Card Fraud at Chase Bank
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So, last week the wife and I are on vacation in New England. We bank at the Chase branch at 50 Columbus and I get email alerts to my phone when there's bank account activity. While we were together, I began getting alerts about successive, rapid ATM withdrawls. Knowing something is wrong, since neither of us were currently tapping an ATM from INSIDE OUR HOTEL ROOM, I call up Chase right away and the service rep concludes that my wife's debit card got duplicated (the ATM transactions are happening in Paris).

So the card got cancelled and we submitted a claim and got the money returned to our account (by the time we shut it down, they made off with about $940). She uses the debit card for a fair amount of purchases, so we thought this could have happened anywhere and we'll never know where it got ripped.

So, back in town, my wife is relaying this story to a friend outside of Tommy Two Scoops on York St. Some guy standing outside, who seemed nice (and was friends with Tommy--I'm guessing he's one of the firefighters or JCPD that's always hanging around there) overheard her talking about the theft and said "You bank at Chase on Columbus, right?" When my wife said yes, he began telling her how someone messed with the card reader at the teller's window (not the ATM mind you) so that it would capture your card info (and PIN number that you entered in the keypad) and send them to someone's computer, who began making fake cards. They realized something was wrong within a couple hours and fixed their system. This apparently happened a couple months ago there and for whatever reason, he asked her not to spread this info around (of course, I'm relaying it to you because people need to know).

So my wife went to Chase yesterday to inquire about it. The manager pushed her off on one of the tellers (great customer skills, guy). The teller, I suppose, is towing the company line by not admitting responsibility. She said they thought it happened at the Duane Reade at Grove St. My wife countered that the theft couldn't have happened there because she never tapped there. This created cognitive dissonance with the teller who just began a circular conversation insisting that the theft likely happened at D.R.

Anyway, be careful out there.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 16:57

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017